[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that Steam tried to sell mods and PC gamers tried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 14

File: skyrim mods.jpg (273KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
skyrim mods.jpg
273KB, 1680x1050px
Reminder that Steam tried to sell mods and PC gamers tried to defend this.
>>
that latter part is a lie, but you knew that anyways, as did everyone looking at this.

The question is, who has the mental energy anymore to keep doing this?
>>
>>324119932
>PC gamers tried to defend this
Valvedrones tried to defend this. Reasonable PC gamers were outraged
>>
>>324119932
>PC gamers tried to defend this.
No, we didnt
>>
every company has done something outrageous at some point, and it's fanboys have defended them
this is not exclusive to pc
this is not exclusive to microsoft
this is not exclusive to sony
this is not exclusive to ea

it will never stop happening
fanboys will never stop defending their precious overlords
reasonable fucking bastards will always recognize that it's fucking bullshit, and will know to just not spend money on shady shit
>>
There is nothing wrong with rewarding modders with optional donations. Paid mods are stupid but optional donations should be allowed.

>inb4 hurr it's a hobby modders should do it for free
>>
>>324120153
I'm a Valvedrone and I was outraged.
>>
File: 1332249121951.jpg (32KB, 455x335px) Image search: [Google]
1332249121951.jpg
32KB, 455x335px
>>324120365
>modders getting a 3rd world cut
>devs aren't even supporting modders
>devs barely even support their own game since modders fix everything
>>
>>324120365
For ease of legal reasons, donations are the best option.
>>
>>324119932
Literally no one did. There was a massive shitstorm about it
>>
>>324119932
more like PC gamers bitched and they backed down

I will never ever pay for amateur mods, I rarely pay for DLC unless it's on sale and actually good

the only reason they would even think to do this is because of what console shitters are willing to support. they were testing the waters to see if we're suckers like console kids
>>
File: 1263768353343.jpg (50KB, 428x510px) Image search: [Google]
1263768353343.jpg
50KB, 428x510px
>>324120365
>25%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszI8b9bevM
>>
>>324119932
more like Tumblr who hates "entitled gamers" and >>324120365 defended this shit that even valve, after this mayor fuck up, didn't try to have a damage control defended their retarded system to "reward" "modders" (people who are there just for the easy money)
>>
>>324120709
CAN'T WAKE UP
>>
Don't worry /v/, it's already confirmed that it'll be coming back for TES6.
>>
>Microsoft tries to charge to play PC games online
>PC users bitch and get them to go back to how it was
>Steam/Bethesda tries to charge for mods
>PC users bitch and get them to go back to how it was

>Microsoft tries to charge to play console games online
>stupid console peasants eat that shit up
>Sony tries to charge to play console games online
>stupid console peasants eat that shit up

Reminder that idiots still try to defend this and that it will be this way forever.
>>
>>324120969

>Microsoft tries to charge to play PC games online

When did Microsoft do this? I know about all the other ones.
>>
>>324120947
Nope
>>
>>324119932

more like PC gamers shat all over valve, forcing them to trash that idea.
>>
>>324120969
Sonyggers status: assblasted.
>>
>>324121079
In like 2008.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/07/microsoft-refunding-gamers-games-for-windows-live-goes-free/

Here's an article from when it went free. They even refunded the people who paid for it. lol
>>
>>324121079
>>>324120969
>
>>Microsoft tries to charge to play PC games online
>
>When did Microsoft do this? I know about all the other ones.

This is a 18+ board. Fucking faggot.
>>
>>324121415

I'm 22...
>>
File: assblasted.jpg (45KB, 648x283px) Image search: [Google]
assblasted.jpg
45KB, 648x283px
>>324121304
>>
>>324119932
To be honest I don't have an issue with some mods being paid. If someone wants to make their mod for sale then so be it.

I just worry that developers and Valve will push to make ALL mod paid so that they can get their cut and it's harder for regular people to mod their games/get other people's mods for free.
>>
File: 1430844062313.png (21KB, 992x220px) Image search: [Google]
1430844062313.png
21KB, 992x220px
>pc gamers tried to defend this

lel
not even reddit was defending it
>>
>>324121473
... Dicks away before your job is done.
>>
>>324121603

>Implying 22 men would want to engage in sexual activity with me

Neither sex is interested in me.

Why do you think I hang out on /v/ at 2 in the morning?
>>
File: 1440350070035.jpg (482KB, 1000x1926px) Image search: [Google]
1440350070035.jpg
482KB, 1000x1926px
>mfw people had started to pirate skyrim mods
>>
>>324119932
>and PC gamers tried to defend this.

Except they didn't and the massive backlash is why it got rescinded.

You dumb fuck.
>>
>>324121593

What does the 33 stars mean?
>>
>>324120365
This, except that legal donations won't happen because the publishers want their cut
>>
>>324120709
do you have the video of someone sadly reading some autist's (probably arthmoor)'s forum post and then sounding on the verge of tears
>>
We didn't which is why it isn't in there now.

>Actively contributing to making /v/ a worse place by starting flamebait threads like these

>Meanwhile useful threads die due to this sht.

Just go to /b/ bro you can troll much easier and get a catch with every bait.
>>
>>324122001
Maybe they should just stop being greedy and entitled :^)
>>
>>324120365
The problem is how Steam went about it to be honest. I don't mind paid mods necessarily, but two things will happen
1)People will bypass it by sharing the mod
2)Those modders will cry/stop making mods
Mainly a good thing so you get those ones to fuck off, but with free mods it's not as bad for them to do this, also worst case they ask for some sort of protection which just adds more bullshit for games to load/have to bypass and deal with potential steam ban.

The problem with their specific implementation was the way that steam wanted to pay them, they would get 25% or less of what was paid out, steam and the publisher getting the majority, that is unacceptable. The publisher can fuck off first of all, they're not hosting any of it, and the mods are there because their base game either didn't live up to some degree or something else, but either way they didn't make the content. Steam should get a cut but it should be the smaller portion. It should be 80% mod dev 20% steam.
>>
>>324120491
Valvedrones are always outraged, especially when mentioning the number 3.
>>
>>324121942
33 people paid money to highlight the post
>>
>>324122496

Hmm.

Does the user who made the post get the money?
>>
>>324122516
No
>>
>>324122540
Well what the fuck.
>>
>>324119932

It's not like it's not coming back at some point. Bethesda, at least, has a gold mine waiting there, and you know they fucking want it.

With as many mods get made for their games, even with valve giving them a pittance, they'd still make more in bulk sales cut than they'd ever make selling their own expansions. From a corporate perspective, if you can find a way to make that happen without the whole world turning on you, you're damn well gonna do it.
>>
>>324121842
>back to reddit
>>
>>324122496
Wait, reddit actually lets you pay money to put a fuckingstar on someone else's post?

I don't even.
>>
File: dexter.jpg (25KB, 550x449px) Image search: [Google]
dexter.jpg
25KB, 550x449px
>>324119932

Reminder that Valve provided a service to the modding community which no one was forced to use. Putting all the blame on Valve, while continuing to love the modding community which was clearly so happy to take your money when given the chance, is pretty delusional.
>>
>>324119932

except for the PC gamers that summoned up a shitstorm so intense that it was revoked.
>>
>>324122730
Most of the modeers who put their mods for sale were condemned by the community. To hate the entire community would be stupid.
>>
>>324122730
this, valve did nothing wrong, also im pretty sure the cash flow would have brought higher quality mods
>>
>>324122087
You mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSypj0fNbaE
>>
>>324122516

They get access to REDDIT GOLD.

It's literally their equivalent of a 4chan Gold pass, except it actually exists.

The perk is mostly just access to some VIP circlejerk, the money goes entirely to reddit itself, and is essentially used to mean "I upvote this post so hard that I spend money to do so".
>>
>>324122730
Is this why the few modders who jumped on Valve's ship were shamed out of the community in the next few days?
>>
>>324122837

Oh, I wasn't saying you should hate the entire community.

But no one ever seems to recognize that Valve was only providing a service which, as it turned out, was in some demand.
>>
>>324122984
>was in some demand
The flagship page 1 mod had mere 2000 sales at $2 before the whole thing was scrapped.
>>
>>324119932

what the fuck are you talking about, they decided to not do it precisely because of the magnitude of collective butthurt
>>
>>324120857
WAKE ME UP INSIDE
>>
File: 1430184303839.png (137KB, 290x946px) Image search: [Google]
1430184303839.png
137KB, 290x946px
>>
>>324121760
>why do you think I hang out on /v/ at 2 in the morning?
You just rekt /v/ with a single sentence.
>>
>>324119932
>and PC gamers tried to defend this.
Yeah, and it was pulled out after console gamer's protests.
>>
>>324123174
poor chesko
>>
>>324119932
>Valvedrones tried to defend this
FTFY
>>
>>324123053

You don't understand. The service in question was being provided to the modding community. Therefore, when I said it was in demand, I mean that the modders wanted it.
>>
>>324121079

GFWL Gold.

Imagine that they wanted people to pay for fucking GFWL. Say whatever you want about steam but at least it's not fucking GFWL.
>>
>>324122730
If you've had closer interaction with modders then you'd know that we're talking about people who tend to be batshit insane so you can expect everything from them, including being total jews.
>>
>>324123420
Please don't remind people GFWL existed much less that.

Sometimes I wake up sweating and remember it.

>>324123330
Even Valvedrones were against it almost unanimously.

>>324123349
Very few did. No one wanted it the way it was being set up (With Steam/Publisher taking 75% of the cost).

Of course Bethesda would be the one to hop in bed with steam on this one, I'm inclined to believe they're the ones that brought the idea up to be honest but it's hard to say. I generally think Gabe wouldn't be that much of a dick, but some of the shit he does borders on MMO-culture. That said, at least taxes and shit are usually very minimal so who knows.
>>
>>324123420
Yeah, I always found it odd, way back shortly after I built my PC, when I played DoW2 that it was really quite sluggish compared to some of the other games I had at the time. I chocked it down to graphics and compatibility etc. Then I got Retributiont, no GFWL, and it ran smooth as anything else.
>>
>>324119932
Aside from the decent sale bonanzas steam fucking sucks. Half the time I try to preload a game I get issues, it won't let me continue downloads after opening one of my games - i have to alt tab back up every fucking time and manually continue it. A couple times my saves have gotten corrupted and they pull some really shadey shit like the paid mods shit.

I just buy and play the pirated version of most my shit nowadays because of shit like this and the gog galaxy witcher 3 preload debacle
>>
>>324119932
Anon we already explained this to you in the last 5 threads.
Have you forgotten again? Maybe you have brain damage?
Please see a doctor.
>>
File: 01.png (256KB, 915x846px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
256KB, 915x846px
Every time I try to access the store.
>>
>>324120342
No one defends anything EA does, they just quietly accept that it's EA being EA and buy it anyways
>>
>>324123994

>OK, take me to the store
>>
>>324124047
you would be surprised
ea fanboys exist
there are people that actually willingly use origin
>>
File: Laughing Whores.jpg (11KB, 213x250px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Whores.jpg
11KB, 213x250px
>>324122873
>he doesn't own a 4chan Gold account
>>
>>324124226

>if you use Origin you're an EA fanboy!

When will this meme end?
>>
And it was console gamers who were so outraged that the entire concept got cancelled, right?
Massive retard.
>>
>>324124068
No shit, and that somehow makes valve's constant attempts to jew my phone numbr OK?
>>
>>324124405

Click the button and quit bitching.
>>
>>324119932
Paid mods are relatively easy to defend. They're just as easy to defend as DLC, on-disc DLC, microtransactions, and other bullshit like that.

You may not like the defenses, but that's understandable as all the above shit fucks over the consumer.
>>
>>324122730

Valve was setting business precedent that would have made them worse than EA.

The "modding community" was almost entirely against this. Some were outright vilified, especially those whose mods were actually based of permissive use of other people's modding code.

For fucks sake, Chesko's little follower mod, which was being sold for several dollars then, is still not properly checked for bugs and is basically abandoned now.

It caused CTDs. You know how badly you have to fuck up to make simply adding a follower cause CTDs? You want to pay money to break your game?

The steam refund policy would not have worked with mods and the system of modding requires a lot of trial-and-error and particular installation methods. Anyone and everyone who knows shit about skyrim modding, even those who are so pleb as to only use the Nexus Mod Manager knew enough about the issues of the game, modding, and code, to know that this system was doomed from the start.

>>324123349

>Service being provided.

They put the guinne pig modders under tight NDA's, incuding the people who ran the Nexus. The result looked like a massive backstab and people were villified. They hated Gabe and his fat fuck face. They hated the nexus owners who were for *total coincidence* reasons made it nearly impossible for modders to have donation notifications on their pages at the time, and they hated the few modders who went along with the experiement because they were part of what was killing the community.

We went from expansions, to "DLC", to literally outsourcing the development of DLC entirely. Bethesda getting paid for someone else fixing their broken shit? That's just perverse.
>>
If you buy EA games that sell industry-changing bullshit as part of a game, you are definitely part of the cancer.

>New game has Day0DLC never done before
>B-But it looks so good I have to pre-order it
>Game keeps getting marketed like fucking crazy
>Sales hit the fucking roof, pictures of 7yos with new copy in line the day it hits with their 'game swag'
>Industry uses the increased sales as an OK for this kind of bullshit

If you promoted the game you're part of the cancer
>"When will this meme end?"
>>
>>324124440
In fact, they aren't. Paid mods are effectively 3rd party DLC with no quality control and no compatibility with each other. Horse armor is easier to defend than this.
>>
>>324124546
Paid mods aren't a thing, don't act like they are. You can't say, "Paid mods are effectively 3rd party DLC with no quality control and no compatibility with each other." They were all that, true. And then they were taken down.

When they come back, there will be better quality control and more compatibility.
>>
>>324119932
people will defend rapists
people will defend serial killers
people will defend terrorist attacks
people will defend stalin
people will defend niggers

its time to start believing in stupid people, anon
>>
>>324124641
This is bait.

Take this (You) and go.
>>
File: the paid mod clusterfuck.jpg (4MB, 4408x5000px) Image search: [Google]
the paid mod clusterfuck.jpg
4MB, 4408x5000px
>>324119932
The outrage was large enough that Valve backed down, you stupid fuck.
When it comes to something that might get a company more money, this almost never happens in vidya.
>>
>>324119932
Is that why it was taken down less than a week later?
>>
>>324124627
>When they come back, there will be better quality control and more compatibility.

What are you basing this off of? You do realize Valve's whole thing is to make as much money as possible with as little effort, preferably using automated systems. Just look at all the quality control of games being let onto steam.
>>
>>324124968
And they tried the same thing with paid mods and it failed. That is my basis for why they'll be better-controlled when they come back.

Again, as I said before, paid mods at their core will always fuck over consumers, so I'm not saying I like paid mods.
>>
>>324119932
to be honest it was fun whilst it lasted and i'd like to see it again

dumb fucks actually bought mods and some people trying to defend it kek
>>
>>324125163
Maybe they will come back, but I doubt it will be on Steam. Modern Valve is a completely no-effort company. If they can't automate everything and let money make itself, they're not interested.
>>
>>324124405
If you've bought anything on Steam they have it already.
>>
>>324125276
The thing is that unlike DOTA or TF2, other publishers are very much involved with paid mods. There were rumors that Fallout 4 would have plenty of paid mods. Of course, those are all rumors, but after Skyrim had a an extensive listing after only a day or two of paid mods, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

If publishers keep pushing it, Valve will go through with it.
>>
>>324124627
That's false.
The drive for compatibility will not change with money, especially when 75% of it doesn't go to you.

Quality control definitely will not be in place, VALVe doesn't have the man power for it, they'll try to use the community for it which means shit will still get out. Unfinished stuff that they want feedback on won't get where it needs to go.

Attempting to monetize this is good for no one when it was clear by their first attempt that VALVe wants the majority of the cash for this to happen. They won't bother if they're not getting it. As they pushed aside in the AMA constantly, all of this is fixed by a damn donation button, easy. If I like your mod and use it often (Like for example Caliente's hot body mods) then I donate to you, easy.

Bypassing games is already stupid easy, do you think people won't do the same for mods in a heartbeat? Then we end up with DRM for mods, disgusting. The funny thing is this would create better QC on the pirating side.
>>
>>324119932
Mods for games like skyrim are cancer

They would have never set up a system to force people to buy all the obscure mods we use to fix issues with gameplay or settings or whatever
>>
>>324122721

It also has the added bonus of them not being able to delete the post
>>
>>324125386
>all of this is fixed by a damn donation button, easy. If I like your mod and use it often (Like for example Caliente's hot body mods) then I donate to you, easy.
I don't believe that so much. I remember some modders who put up paid mods said that they had used a "donate" button in the past and that it got them practically nothing.

Valve and the publisher would fuck them up the ass, true, but they'd still end up with a shit ton more than if they just had a "donate" button.
>>
Only paid mods that should ever be considered are like, full blown expansion mods. And those are so few and far between for even the most modded games of all time that the entire subject of paid mods should remain a bump on videogames long ongoing road.
>>
>>324124440
DLC is generally created by the developers or a 3rd party with access to the developers tools (Not a mod kit). There's little worry that a DLC isn't going to be compatible with another DLC. Or a DLC that stops working once a game's patch is released. With no guarantee that an updated version will even exist because the developer threw a hissyfit, took their ball and went home.
>>
Paid mods only make it harder for modders.
Look at any major overhaul mod and you'll see it makes use of a shitload of other mods, because reinventing the wheel is a waste of time.
Put a price tag on mods and suddenly it's no longer sufficient to simply ask permission to use their mods in your mod. No, now they'll ask you for a cut of your profits. Now your own mod can't be free and every paid mod you use will inflate the price of your own mod.
It's a clusterfuck.
>>
>>324125479
Now I understand why Gabe's posts got stars despite so many downvotes.

>>324125526
25% of nothing is nothing. There are alternatives and always will be. If they try to lock mods to only be available on steam they will kill steam .Steam is big but I'm not joking, it would be a huge fucking wound to steam. That said, they can't, they can only make it easier to load mods in steam and make them more compatible.

Most things in general don't get donations, that's to be expected, they could give options for making donations more obvious (without bordering nagware), but at the end of the day, yes most mods don't get donations.

Most people install mods and forget about them, just use them. IT's rare to go back to the page later to see, make it easier to donate and it's cake. Shift-Tab option to list mods you've setup/are currently using-> Donate button next to each one.

Also tend to install many mods at once doesn't help this.
>>
>>324124523
I love how this post doesn't even need to mention that Valve would've just ripped 75% of the sales for themselves to blow them the fuck out
>>
>>324119932
maaaaaaaaan, that shit was so like 2015
>>
The most fucked up thing was the dev getting money for the mods.

>bethesda getting money for someone else fixing their shit
>>
File: reee.png (473KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
reee.png
473KB, 900x900px
>>324122465
THHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Fuck you, I've never defended this shit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDyXIXyAZq0
>>
>>324122465
WE'RE NEVER OUTRAGED
FUUUUUUUUCK
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU
FUUUUCK YOOOOOOU
>>
>>324126353
>The most fucked up thing was the dev getting money for the mods.

The most fucked up part was the creator of the game getting paid for people using their content?
>>
>>324126578
No, they were getting paid for people fixing/improving their content.

I already paid them for their game, and quite a lot.

There is literally no valid reason for the publisher to be paid for what the mod author does.
>>
Whats that music site where you put money into a personal pool and you like/subscribe artists through the month and at the end of the month it gets distributed?
>>
>>324126684
What.cd
>>
File: 1434045497600.png (521KB, 857x720px) Image search: [Google]
1434045497600.png
521KB, 857x720px
>>324126742
u chky fuk
>>
>>324120365
If they want me to pay money as if it was real DLC, treat is as DLC, AKA:
>compatible with every single other paid mod
>complete compatibility with every single game feature and update
That's it, do so and i'll gladly pay.

If you are going to try to sell me the same unpolished shit that mods have been up until now, then go fuck yourself.
>>

Weren't the PC gamers the ones who stood against it and ultimately made Valve give up on it though? What does consolefags even care for mods anyway?
>>
>>324123994
Valve spends a lot of money into resolving issues with stolen accounts, obvioulsy they're trying to force two step verification for everybody so idiots will stop getting their accounts and info stolen because they're stupid enough to click on links people send them. It doesn't matter how intrusive you think that is, it's actually a good thing.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.