[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
super mario 3d land > super mario 64
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 8
File: 8.jpg (363 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
8.jpg
363 KB, 1200x720
super mario 3d land > super mario 64
>>
>>324030556

agreed. SM64 is boring trash that aged badly, and speedrunning tricks are the only reason people play it at all. SM3DL is actually fun to play in a normal playthrough and matches the aesthetic charm of SMB3 much better than any previous 3D Mario did.

But I still think that Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 are the best of the series
>>
>>324030556
I agree, sm64 feels more like a tech demo than a game
>>
>>324030556
In comparison to what? The games are nothing alike.
You can't really compare 3D Land to anything except 3D world
>>
>>324031384
what are you fucking stupid? we're not comparing 64 to super star saga here. they're both 3d platformers, the comparison is legit.
>>
>>324031542
Are you fucking stupid? 3D land is styled like 2D Mario with using Goal-posts and Green Stars which act similar to Coins in NSMB. The only thing comparable to 3D mario is the movement
>>
>>324031839

The movement and gameplay style is more important than the fact that the level ends with a goalpost instead of a star (which is really just a goalpost reskin)
>>
>>324031064
annon how old are u? 12?
>>
>>324031839
Not at all. Newer Marios got rid of almost every movement option. I don't even know why people still play them, they're terrible platformers.
>>
>>324030556
>you need to be over 18 to post in this board
>you are an autistic virgin

pick one
>>
>>324031839
not that guy but it's less of a comparison and more of a statement of overall opinion.
>>
>>324032139
Found the nostalgiafag. i bet you also think Golden Eye is better than most modern shooters.
>>
>>324031064
Underage detected. I replay it every couple years and it's still fun.
>>
>>324032326
Just about anything is better than most modern shooters.
>>
>>324032041

I'm 30, I've been around long enough to know what a good Mario game looks like and seeing past nostalgia is something that I've improved on as I got older.
>>
>>324032383
Nah, classic shooters are as bad as modern shooters just with worse everything and more circle strafing.
>>
>I love SM3DLand over SM64
>I love SW7 over the original
>I love Daniel Craig over Sean Connery
>I love shitty sequels over the one that made the legend
>>
>>324032326
bro, u can't fuckin say that it's better, it is like saying, omfg mario galaxy is better that the classic mario bros, cuz the diference of age, plataform n shit, u just can't say that
>>
Maybe better than 64 but not even fucking close to 64DS that shit was a masterpiece
>>
>>324032410 this >>324032697, i'm actually surprised that some of ur age thinks that is better, it must be autistic or something
>>
>>324030556
I love both equally, but I give a slight edge towards Super Mario 64 because nostalgia.

3D Land was a solid entry for handheld Mario platforming, I really enjoyed it. It's also fun to speedrun.

3D World, on the other hand, sucks eggs..
>>
>>324032921
>I disagree with your opinion, you must be autistic

Jesus Christ /v/.
>>
The only thing SM3DL did right was the use of powerups. And give Peach a Powerup.
Otherwise, it was bland, uninspired garbage.

SM64 gives you tasks and makes you think to achieve victory, not just run to the goal. And you explore Peach's Castle for the first time ever in the process, the status of which changes as you progress.
Meanwhile, SM3DL has bland level selects AND rehashes levels later AND makes you run through again as Luigi. Not to mention SM3DL uses enemy bridges, which Nintendo can't do for jack and shouldn't use.
>>
>>324032893
I'd like 64DS more if it didn't have multiple characters.
>>
>>324034171
>wants less features
Nigga what?
>>
>>324033793
>not realice the fact that saying 3ds land is better that 64 is like saying, windows seven is better than milenium
>under 18
>says that just because is the first game in the mario series that he finished
>Jesus Christ

ok who the fuck bring those kids guys?
>>
>>324034318
>start playing 64ds
>you are forced to play as Yoshi

into the trash it goes
>>
>>324034171
This isn't DKC where using one partner will put you at a disadvantage - all the other characters are at least as mobile as Mario, for a very good reason.

What, you think it waters down the experience?
>>
File: 1452325438043.jpg (13 KB, 184x184) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452325438043.jpg
13 KB, 184x184
My favorite is Super Mario Sunshine
>>
>>324034462
>implying yoshi is bad
oh man I sure hate the sick ass flutter jump and ability to use homing eggs anon
>>
>>324034318
>>324034482
I mean it'd be fine if each was completely optional, but they split up the powerups between characters so you have to go to that one room and switch constantly if you want to explore the levels completely.
>>
>>324034418
>You must not have played both games if you prefer the game I liked less of the two, oh and you must be underaged.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.
>>
>>324034482
It does put you at a disadvantage somewhat, since each of the characters can only use one of the power-ups Mario had.
>>
>>324032067
But they added different ones. That's not a terrible plaformer, especially if it doesn't let you cheese certain sections.
>>
>>324032365
Id rather play something new than play old one I have beaten million times already.
>>
>>324035005
> still thinking that a game of 2011 is better than a game of 1996
>basicly the same mario stuff with the same "milking mario" stuff just to have their fanbase happy
> just a mario game actualization

plz tell me that your older brother is not replying me for you
>>
>>324035670

>being a blatant nostalgiafag

I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>324030556
>>324031064
So this how being triggered feels like?
>>
>>324035882
> don't understand the fact that u can't compare those games
> not find a way to disqualify it
>not finding another way, calls me nostalgiafag just to see if i get mad of that nonsense afirmation

no man, i feel sorry for your 80 iq, u better keep playing those mario games, because they are the only games that actually u can handle
>>
>>324030556
3D World >>> 3D Land
3D Land gets boring fast and had little to no replay value after completion.
>>
>>324030556
No one will play this game in 15 years. People will continue to play Mario 64 by that time.
>>
>>324036479
>hurr durr you're stupid, you can't compare games unless released at the same time

Not only are you a nostalgia fag, you're also retarded.
>>
Haven't played it but I guarantee it's superior to the literal snore that are the Galaxy games.

Probably not better than 64 though. Let's be honest. 64 feels fantastic even to this day.
>>
>>324036950
>now that you see the facts, you're getting mad
>b-b-b-ut ma mario games
> fuck you hurr durr retard nostalgia fact
>you actually think that saying that u won
>i like moar 3ds land because 64 feels aged
> didn't realice that it sounds absolutley retarded
iq under 80 detected, i dare you fag, prove me wrong
>>
>>324034691
>>324035012
Okay, granted, but I personally don't find that much different than having to find and wear the caps in the first place, especially if you mess up. Nintendo did a good job of making that feel like part of the adventure (which, in that DS iteration, it was).

That's why they made the M/L/W caps, to alleviate that. And it's not just Yoshi that can wear those.

Still, I understand.
>>
>>324030556
Yeah, but /v/ is gonna shit on you for saying it. Most Mario fans on /v/ are dumb shitters who want Mario games to be about "MUH EXPLORATION" and "MUH OPEN WORLDS" rather than being platform games.
>>
Who cares? 3D World is the best anyway.
>>
>>324037383

Jesus Christ man, are you Brazilian or something? You're messing up all over.
>>
Maybe if it was longer and started off with special world difficulty instead of 8 worlds of ez modo. Tanuki suit completely breaks the game too but it's not like that hasn't happened in previous games.
>>
>>324031180
It's funny, I honestly think that about 3D Land 3D World being the real full game from it.
>>
>>324037697
i'm mexican, sorry if i sound a little "non sense" but if i reply in spanish none of you will understan, so i have to put in practice my fckin engrish
>>
>>324037697
still you get the point
>>
>>324038031
oh that explains the shitty taste and nonsensical arguments.
>>
>>324038234
ik you were to saying that, also idc cuz i know u are just a kid, so just go and play some mario, i bet u will have fun annon
>>
>>324038378
Sorry to disappoint you, but I've been playing mario games since the original mario bros game, and I'm not talking about smb.
>>
>>324038942
then idk why u still think that there is a way to say which one is better
>super mario bros was the shit
>super mario bros 3 was the shit
>super mario world was the shit
> super mario rpg was the shit
>super mario world 2 was the shit
>super mario 64 was the shit
>paper mario was the shit
and the list goes one, everyone was cool at their moment, there is no need to say this is better than this n shit
>>
>>324039292
You've stopped making sense a long while ago, sorry. It's time for you to stop posting, or just go back to your beaner gaming forum.
>>
>>324030556
Let me guess, you think it's better graphic-wise.
>>
>>324040003
guess again
>>
>>324031839
jesus fucking christ.

do people not understand the point of comparisons any more? all i see on /v/ nowadays is that X can't be compared to Y because one character has a red shoe and the other has a blue shoe.
>>
>>324039534
nah, you stopped making sense since, omg nostalgia retard, obviosly you got mad and started say shit, also, i can even say u still mad for proving you wrong, but hey, that's a thing that amerifats needs to work with it, so i don't blame you annon, just don't say stupids arguments just to prove that your iq is under 80, have a nice day annon, i'm getting back to my "beaner gaming forum" xD
>>
>>324030556
No. Land is only superior graphics-wise. In every other category 64 kicks the shit out of it.
>>
>>324040249
"omg look at the graphics", every 12 years old kid
>>
>People are actually hating on Super Mario 64
What the fuck is wrong with this board?
>>
>>324040161
You're whole argument is you can't compare them because 64 is older, which is retarded. Sorry but you're the one who's being retarded because you're unable to convey your argument clearly.
>>
>>324031064
>speedrunning tricks are the only reason people play it at all
Pretty much this. I know neo /v/ likes to be "cool" and fit in with the sdgq crowd.
>>
>>324040501
do i really need to post all the shit again annon, jesus fuckin christ are you autistic or something?
>>
File: 1443229803398.gif (250 KB, 500x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1443229803398.gif
250 KB, 500x500
You know what I miss from Super Mario 64? How athletic Mario was, how freely he moved and how he was faster. Each game he got stiffer and stiffer, Galaxy & 3D Land/World is so hard to replay due to this.
>>
>>324040681
Nah, just with proper english.
>>
>>324040681
I opened up this thread and I think it's funny how bad you are at this and your English doesn't help
>>
SMB3 > all other Mario games
>>
>>324040908
>>324040973
will work on my engrish i promise, but really, stop being autistic annon
>>
>>324041397
read a dictionary while you're at it so that way you're not misusing words just to fit in
>>
>>324041397
Ok I'll give you a fighting chance, what are you really arguing for anyway?
>>
>>324041608
ik, i'm at work so i really doing my stuff while i read all this shit, but will try when i post back home

>>324041616
just read annon, i clearly put an example, but since u got mad, i think u didn't read well
>>
>>324041982
>i clearly put an example
no you didn't

>i think u didn't read well
more like you didn't write well
>>
>>324030556
SM3DL (and SM3DW to a slightly lesser extent) are pretty bad. They do absolutely nothing with the fact that they're 3D platformers, every level is just generic no-theme props lined up in a straight line for you to walk down. They might as well be 2D platformers and nothing would be lost. That's why SM64, SMS, and SMG1/2 are better games.
>>
>>324042163
u just went full retard, read again, i have to go annon, anyway, enjoy ur mario games, i like them 2, but not the way that you like, so that might be the problem
>>
>>324042352
It's quite unfortunate that you're not self-aware enough to notice your faults as you're not making sense most of the time, but that's fine I guess, take care mexibro.
>>
>>324033505

>Liked 3D Land
>Didn't like 3D World

Aren't they basically the same game?
>>
>>324040843
I actually feel like 64 is a lot stiffer than Sunshine and 3D Land
Galaxy though, definitely the stiffest. 3D world feels stiffer than Land If I'm remembering Land correctly
>>
>>324030556
Absolutely not.

Super Mario 64 gave a massive sense of freedom in the control scheme and the level designs that not even future Mario games really matched. It didn't have the sheer creativity of Galaxy, but it did have the undistilled essence of 3D platforming and movement.

3D Land is a rushed platformer that's only remarkable in the sense that it better replicated the feel of 2D Marios. It had redundant level designs and didn't have much to add flavour like meaningful secrets. 3D World was 3D Land done much, much, much better and probably rivals 64, the difference being that 3D World was much cleverer in designing levels and secrets around Mario's abilities and had much more interesting level ideas than 3D Land's roster of plains, plains and some airships.
>>
>>324035382
Something new that has half the charm and even less fun factor. Okay anon, you do that. Bye
>>
File: 1438629937773.png (34 KB, 196x197) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1438629937773.png
34 KB, 196x197
>>324030556

Tell me how 64 is worse without "it aged poorly" bullshit.

I'm not gonna say 3d land is bad, but it is certainly not better than 64, except in the camera department because 64 had a shitty camera. Which is excusable because it wasn't exactly common to have games like that at the time.
>>
>>324044252
more area variety
more musical variety
more focused level design
I seem to remember more content (more levels than stars in 64)
>>
>>324044545
>More focused level design.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, I've played nearly every Mario platformer to death and 3D Land's levels are easily the worst.
>>
>>324044769
I have poor memory of 3D Land, I was talking from 3D World memory, but I want to revisit land sometime soon
I just seem to remember that there was never a point where I got lost or where the level just sorta tossed everything in there. though the last level falls into the latter problem
>>
>>324045163
3D World's levels are wayyyy better. If you go back to Land I think you'll see what I mean. They use the same concepts far too often from level to level in 3D Land.
Also, being lost is your problem. Mario levels aren't exactly complicated.
>>
>>324045365
I don't get lost in 64 unless it's hundred coins and I don't know where I haven't gone yet. 3D Land doesn't have anything like that
>>
>>324044545

>more area variety

Seemed pretty varied to me, I mean not many of the worlds felt like copies of each other, if at all.

>more musical variety

I'll give you that, 64 reused a lot of tracks.

>more focused level design

I'm pretty sure it was deliberately unfocused so they could put more stars in per level, and not feel like they'd be out of place.

>more levels than stars in 64

I don't really get this, I mean there's 120 stars, and every level has at least 3, 1 being a regular star and each having the coin and red coin stars, excluding bowser levels of course, but I think those had red coins too. Not even counting those other stars you could get in the overworld like those rabbits and such.
>>
>>324045580
Yeah, but the 100 coin challenges are meant to be challenging in that way.
>>
File: 1451538185316.png (10 KB, 407x416) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451538185316.png
10 KB, 407x416
>>324045743
Correct, it accomplished what it tried to do
I just don't like what they tried to do a whole lot
>>
This thread is fucking retarded considering 3D world is miles better than both of them
>>
>>324046026
Kill yourself that game was garbage
>>
>>324046026
I feel like 3D World Was simulaneously built for and not built for multiplayer
the levels work for multiplayer but the controls ruin multiplayer due to picking up characters
and this affects single player because a lot of the levels feel too wide for their own good in single player
>>
>>324046026
>Champion's Road

i want 2 die
>>
>>324040681
what even is this shitty tripfag, jesus christ
>>
>>324046303
>hurr le kill yourself

try being more subtle with your shitpost okay anon?
>>
64 is better because of the dive.

The dive is important.

Also fuck 64DS, if you honestly think that shit is good you should see a doctor about your brain damage.
>playing a fugly sm64 with a digital pad and a run button
>>
>>324046405
The levels are balanced for singleplayer and even if they're a bit wide that's just for the better compared to 3D Land which was almost claustrophobic in how zoomed-in it was.
>>
>>324031180
This
What are the enemies in SM64?
>goomba
>exploding black sphere
>floating fire sphere
>floating zap sphere
>giant smashing box
>giant rolling box
>not-so-giant flat box
>floating sphere with flower top
>giant stack of spheres
>ramming sphere
>big ramming sphere
>I'M A CHUCKSTER sphere
>two icy spheres stacked on top of eachother
>eyeball sphere
>floating spooky sphere with nub arms
>a vulture
>like, what, two koopas?
>and a spider, which is a big sphere for a body and a two smaller spheres for eyes, and line segments for legs

Heck, the entire first world was basically "Hey, look at how ROUND we can make things!"
>>
File: sm3dwguide195.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
sm3dwguide195.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>324046684
This
>>
>>324046809
and they weren't even "round" they were pre-rendered jpegs
>>
>>324046809

>one of the only n64 games with a consistent framerate
>WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE SHIT WHAAA
>>
>>324046669

64DS is actually superior though. Too bad you couldn't get used to something as simple as a D-Pad for movement. If you played it for more than 10 minutes then you would have noticed how the physics and controls were balanced around the new buttons.
>>
>>324046669
>not paying it on the 3ds for the glorious circle pad
You're missing out, Anon.
>>
>>324047002

>new physics
>I don't know what I'm talking about:the post

64DS is a gimped piece of shit, and I'm surprised children still defend it
>>
>>324047034

The circle pad doesn't magically make DS games accept analog inputs you fucking gigantic retard
>>
>>324046983
Just because it was a tech demo (which it was) I never said I hated it. It was fun! And the gameplay aged well, but its a little obvious in retrospect what their intentions were.

Wing Cap showed off true 3D movement
Remember that teetering bridge in Bob-Omb Battlefield? Why was it there? It was to show off that they could have a teetering bridge.
>>
>>324047034
you still only based on the dpad controls
>>
>>324030556
this is pretty light bait. everyone knows 3dland is easily the worst mario in the series. Its the one thing linearfags and explorefags actually agree on
>>
>>324047469
here's your response
>>
>>324047469
I agree and I like both styles. 3D Land is garbo.
>>
>>324047469
Lol
>>
>>324047208

There are new physics you retard. Play the two side by side. 64 DS is basically a new game altogether but with SM64 levels.
>>
3D World would have been so much better if it followed the SM64 style and had 15 levels, but you go to collect 10 stars on each world, instead of having levels like they do now with very little replayability.

You can get most things in one run and never play the level again.
>>
File: 1424632183060.gif (3 MB, 386x232) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1424632183060.gif
3 MB, 386x232
>>324047553
OP is mad I saw through his shit
>>
>>324047832

That's even worse
>>
>>324037667
I dunno m8.

I replayed and 3DLand several times because everytime I had a blast. I couldn't even finish the main quest of 3D World.

Why?

3D World expands everything that 3D Land by tenfold but I can't bring myself to finish it.
>>
>>324047930
instead of having a wide variety of fun levels, sure let's just have 15 levels so you can go back to the same fucking level and just do something a little differently. Why do people want this? Why? I just don't get it.
>>
>>324048306
I don't know what to tell you then seeing as how that's not a good argument.
>>
>>324048708
Variety is a bad thing?
>>
>>324048708

Its called Exploration. Such a thing is lost on the modern generation of imbeciles.
>>
64 is definitely the better world. Things actually had tension to them. The castle is mysterious. The mansion is genuinely scary, and the background feels really ominous for a Mario game. Compare the faces of Boos from Mario 64 and onward. What used to be unsettling is now a goofy cartoon. You never see no pianos anymore. The music isn't genuinely fucking scary or moody either. It always sounds like a parody of what it's trying to sound like. Like some saturday morning cartoon--especially Galaxy. Shit like the fire painting, chain chomps, echoey caves, poisonous gas in moody caves with tense music and brutal death animations make Mario 64 much more engrossing. You take it more seriously. It feels like they want me to throw my hands up in the air in a silly fashion and sigh in Sunshine and afterwards, whereas in 64 I'm disturbed and truly care for Mario, which is supported by the fact that all the jumps in 64 feel more menacing without FLUDD. Also Bowser seems like a menacing omnipotent threat, and his boss battles are hype as fuck, at least for a Mario game. I'm just stopping out of consideration for you guys, but even nowadays, I'm still disturbed by Mario's sounds when he gets fucking smooshed by a block, or is drowning in quicksand; not to mention fucking drowning.
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 8
Thread DB ID: 419774



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.