[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nintendo has been in a steady decline since the NES. Why is this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: 1452702196571.png (20KB, 929x544px) Image search: [Google]
1452702196571.png
20KB, 929x544px
Nintendo has been in a steady decline since the NES. Why is this happening? Its not fucking fair.
>>
Because they make shit games for children

Grow up.
>>
>>324026121
Sega, Atari, Sony, Microsoft and countless others have entered the market. Nintendo does not have a total grip on the industry anymore.
>>
Families in developed countries are having less and less children; the videogame media as a whole shifted target and is now considered an acceptable media to 30yo people; people want a solid online infrastructure and medium specs to play the game at least close to the HD resolution that became the new standard for tv makers.
>>
>>324026889

Yeah but why has Nintendo declined while Sony and M$ rise? What is Nintendo doing wrong? Is it really all because of 3rd party?
>>
>>324026889
this
>>
>>324026976
marketing
>>
>>324026976
I like Nintendo games and I've owned every Nintendo system, but everytime I'm on a Nintendo console it feels like I'm going back 6 years in time. They have outdated interfaces, garbage online capabilities and underpowered hardware. Literally the only reason to get a Nintendo console nowadays is if you really enjoy Nintendo games and you won't have 100% retention of that audience from generation to generation and you're gonna have trouble capturing a new audience if you keep gimping your tech to be half a decade behind your opponents.

They also went out of their way to alienate those loyalists when the Wii came out, so even less people came with them to Wii U.
>>
>>324026976
Xbone will get nowhere close the x360, is pretty much dead outside the us.

So MS will decline.
>>
>>324027414

Thats funny because the one is selling more than the 360 did in the same time frame. Do some research before you spew ignorance.
>>
>>324026976
They don't value the core market. Even with their promise to target core gamers with the Wii U, they failed.
>>
>>324026976
>Is it really all because of 3rd party?
What kind of the 3rd party are we talking about? Activision and Ubisoft published at least half, if not more, of the shovelware found on the Wii combined. Do people really want the most recent sports games from EA? Or are they talking about developers like Naughty Dog, Platinum, Rockstar and others?
>>
How abount handheld sales?
>>
>>324026976
3rd party is a huge part of it, they have horrible marketing though, NoA is garbage at localization, they blatantly disregard feedback and basically call fans ideas stupid, they have horrible policies, their online infrastructure is garbage, the list just goes on and on...they have no idea what the fuck they're doing anymore, they keep shitting on their few remaining fans, it's only a matter of time till they end up mobile/HH only
>>
>>324027636
>What kind of the 3rd party are we talking about? Activision and Ubisoft published at least half, if not more, of the shovelware found on the Wii combined

Yeah and the Wii was the most successful Nintendo console. Kinda proves my point. Doesn't matter what "type" of 3rd party is out there.

>>324027683
>Handhelds

Who gives a shit?
>>
>>324027724
The Wii had a gimmick going for it that has since lost its charm but it hugely contributed to its success, if they had released a GC2 it would have not have sold nearly as well
>>
>>324027683
Nintendo still has a grip on it. I think Sony gave up trying to corner a decent sized market, Microsoft hasn't bothered, and cell phones and other handheld multimedia devices have become increasingly common.
>>
>>324027503
Only in the USA, the xbone had a way better launch, but the 360 will surpass it eventually, especially around the kinect years.

Just like ps4 beating ps2 currently, way better launch and stock available, but the ps2 is catching up fast.

Anyway Nintendo console sales are not great and I think some of the reason is that the userbase is fragmented between the handheld and the console and for many with the handheld is enough.

Sony is pretty much the same just the console is the success and the handheld the failure.
>>
>>324027503
Not him, but it's not that simple. The 360 had a much smaller launch (manufacturing trouble) and its first two years were pretty slow because most people didn't even have HD TVs then. The fact that Xbone has turned into a two-country console also means that its future sales potential is much more limited.
>>
>>324027724
>Who gives a shit?
Because that's probably why Nintendo is still afloat
>>
>>324027503
only marketers and casuals call it the one

it's an xbone

that's pronounced ex-bone

get your facts straight before you complain about others not having your facts straight
>>
>>324028054

That's not a fact.
>>
>>324027683
Dying a miserable death. Last year, the 3DS sales were only like 3% of the total in the UK.
>>
File: ibj9FevdrWqbPe.png (16KB, 804x453px) Image search: [Google]
ibj9FevdrWqbPe.png
16KB, 804x453px
>>324027683
Basically the same trajectory.
>>
File: 1400237810633.jpg (36KB, 398x398px) Image search: [Google]
1400237810633.jpg
36KB, 398x398px
>>324028251
>uk
>caring about nintendo
>>
>>324026742
Games are for children, faggot
>>
>>324028251
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-reaches-2m-sales-in-the-uk/0148966

2015 may barely 2m, any updated figures for ps4 ltd in uk?

2m is shit, 3DS in japan has 20m, even the ps4 has like 2m in japan and they hate consoles.

UK is nothing.
>>
>>324028531
They did a few years ago. The WiiU put an end to it.
>>
>>324028673
no they didn't, where do you wanna go with this?
>>
File: Untitled.png (23KB, 742x696px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
23KB, 742x696px
>>324026976
>Is it really all because of 3rd party?
>>
>>324026976
>Yeah but why has Nintendo declined
mario and zelda used to be for everyone. metroid used to be a hardcore game. now they're all barney colored handholding simulators for retarded babies
>>
>>324027347
This exactly. I like Nintendo games, but it's kinda hard to like them when everything else feels aged in a bad way and hardware is generally so shitty.

If they wanted to be big again, they would need to get less smug about "the Nintendo way" and admit that they haven't evolved fast enough to keep up with others. I guess that they have to be realizing it by now, but the fluke of luck known as Wii just loaded them with ridiculous overconfidence for nearly a decade.
>>
>>324028801
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2009/Wii-sales-in-UK-top-six-million-in-less-than-three-years-251830.html
>The landmark figure, achieved in less than three years on sale, makes Wii the fastest selling video game console in UK history and the quickest ever to reach six million units sold.
They did.
>>
>>324026121
Because they're going full jew like sony and microdicks. Serves them right.
>>
>>324029613
>Because they're going full jew like sony and microdicks. Serves them right.

They day they charge for online like you sonycucks pay for is the day I will agree with you.
>>
>>324026121
Lose of 3rd party support, weaker advertising than the others, weaker hardware
>>
>>324029931
Next console is when it will happen. After all, they're already going full microtransactions, DLCs, locked price, etc.
>>
>>324029561
see >>324026121

uk didn't buy the 64 and the gcn
>>
File: 48534165825334.jpg (23KB, 189x300px) Image search: [Google]
48534165825334.jpg
23KB, 189x300px
>>324026121
>Japanese NES and SNES sales
>Sales in a country where it was never sold
>>
>>324030283
That was the case for Europe as a whole, though. Note that consistently tiny "other" category in the OP chart.
>>
>>324026121
>Its not fucking fair.
It is fair. They are shit compared to Sony and thats why Sony is marketleader.
>>
>>324030346
>In Japan, the system is called the Super Famicom (Japanese: スーパーファミコン Hepburn: Sūpā Famikon?, officially adopting the abbreviated name of its predecessor, the Family Computer), or SFC for short.
Let me guess, you were just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>324026121
They fucking suck.

They were awesome in the 80s, mostly cool in the 90s, and only make occasional quality games since then.

If your console is nothing but worthless garbage + Smash and Mario Kart then no one is going to buy it.
>>
>>324030708
I wasn't pretending or being retarded. The NES and SNES were not released in Japan.
>>
because it used to be weeb games on nintendo and sports/edgelord games on sega. now sony has both and nintendo can't make good new versions of its own IPs to save its life
>>
that's the reason why marketing is so important, look at this retarded shit >>324030961
>>
>>324026121
Pretty much F-Zero X on the n64 was their last truly awesome game. Miyamoto got old and retired from dev work. Yokoi died. Aeonma or however you spell his name is a fucking hack. Iwata was an amusing fellow but as a businessman he left much to be desired.
>>
>>324029052
this
>>
>>324031107
And Castlevania was never released in Japan either. That little series called Akumajō Dracula doesn't count, I guess.
>>
>>324031389
You do realize that there's a difference between renaming a product and an entirely different product altogether, right? You wanna show me your two bundled NES controllers with a built-in microphone in controller 2?
>>
>>324031685
You were indeed not pretending. Impressive.
>>
>>324031685
You know it's very common for their to be different models between countries and even within the same country. Plus the differences between the two is so minute it's really easily to play games of different regions.

Or are you're going to be contrarian and try to claim you honestly believe there are 6 different genesis consoles because they're all slightly different.
>>
>>324027574
That's because the core market doesn't value them though.

Why market your shit to people who'll never buy it no matter what you do?
>>
http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/14/2015-npd-the-10-best-selling-games-of-the-year/

>#5 Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)

>World wide sales of over 50 million of which over 10 million on PS4/X1
>More people would play GTA5 again in higher res than pick up a WiiU.

You can't have a console without GTA.
>>
>>324031386
>>324029052
How To Save Nintendo: Not "Make the NX Exactly Like the PS4 With the Exact Same Library of 3rd Party Games" Edition

Fix the fucking games, other devs have found out how to compete with Mario, Metroid and Zelda since the NES and Nintendo seems to have no idea what was appealing about them in the first place.

>Mario
Actually mostly ok. There's still nothing really compares to Mario. A few tweaks though.

-Have 2D and 3D series running concurrently(sort of already done)
-make NSMB less rehashy. SMB 1, 3 and World are incredibly unique. All the NSMBs are basically the same game
-give 3D Mario coherent worlds. not open worlds but like 64 and sunshine. the hub in galaxy is shit

>Metroid
Just do Prime. Prime was perfect. Maybe make it more actiony. I get the idea behind focusing on the exploration, still do that, but also give us some arcadey fps action. Wii-mote controls were actually really good in Prime collection.

>Zelda
almost everything about modern zelda is just wrong. Here's what it needs
-huge mostly open world with actual secrets. not a pointless meme open world like MGSV, but just look at Zelda 1 for inspiration
-more combat and more variety of combat. hordes like in Hyrule warriors, bigger common enemies and mini bosses that play like DMC. huge boss monsters that play like Monster Hunter
-items that aren't just glorified keys
-bring back and expand rpg elements. magic, multiple swords that aren't just storyline events
-difficulty

Zelda should compete with things like skyrim. it used to be a beautiful combo of arcade action and rpg exploration and equipment

>Online
first of all make a real account system. there's no reason i should have to rebuy all my VC games every time a new system comes out. there's no goddamn reason i should have to buy VC games separately for 3DS and Wii U.

actually create unique online features beyond basic multiplayer. lots of games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon lend themselves to the possibility
>>
>>324034598
>other devs have found out how to compete with Mario, Metroid and Zelda since the NES
Stopped reading here. Spotted the inbred.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.