[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>souls games are classified as western games! and thus is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>souls games are classified as western games! and thus is a WRPG!

why do people keep spewing this shit
do tell me 1 single western games that has the same feel of the souls game
>>
File: kill me pancake.png (33KB, 190x210px) Image search: [Google]
kill me pancake.png
33KB, 190x210px
>Japanese games are western
The next thing you're going to tell me is that Undertale is an JRPG.

Seriously. What's the reasoning behind these labels?
>>
File: Be scared Square.jpg (49KB, 608x308px) Image search: [Google]
Be scared Square.jpg
49KB, 608x308px
We do it to be fair to JRPG's they just aren't based enough to compete.
'
Slight joking aside. Have you noticed the le gaming media almost never seems to compare Souls to other big named JRPGS? I mean one of the biggest competitors to the quickly fading empire of Squarepenis is From and yet you almost never hear it talked about like that. Literally no one I know gives a shit about XV but even some normies wanted Bloodborne and DAS3.
>>
>>323989285
I remember when rpgs were categorized by their gameplay.
I did not here people use jrpg or wrpg until the late 90s early 2ks.

What happened to using the terms action rpg, turn based rpg, strategy rpg, command based rpg?
>>
>>323989026
Some people don't want to admit they like a "weeb" game.
>>
>>323989850
Even if we classify souls game as JRPG (as we should), it's a strictly "japanese-y" action rpg.

No western devs can make the same feel the souls games have
>>
>>323989285

The gameplay, obviously. Undertale has the gameplay style and progression of a JRPG. Thus, i's a JRPG.
>>
>>323990408
>(as we should)
No, we shouldn't. Because "jrpg" is completely fucking meaningless. It's absolutely useless as a classification.
>>
>>323990591
sorry i meant to type action-rpg

dont know why did i just typed jrpg
>>
>>323989850
People stopped thinking for themselves and just dumb things down into easy labels. Reminds me of people that rely on stereotypes.
>>
>>323990591
It means japanese role playing game. It's pretty simple.
>>
>soulsfags not only think that souls games are good, but they're also convinced they are jrpgs
Oboy, my sides can't take this.
>>
skyrim
>>
>>323989026

Darkness blade of severance or whats the name

Literally this is what the nippons copied into chrrent technology
>>
There are certain things you can expect in JRPGs and likewise for WRPGs. It's not wrong to categorize them as such as long as you bother to classify a genre too, since obviously they all branch out.
>>
>>323990496
Is Ultima exodus a Jrpg?
>>
>>323990917
There are no defining aspects of wrpg or jrpg outside of cultural origin.
>>
File: vaseline.jpg (60KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
vaseline.jpg
60KB, 800x800px
JRPG/WRPG difference is pretty meaningless in terms of mechanics and genre. There are plenty of strategic, menu-based, turn-based RPGs coming out of the west, and plenty of action games with RPG mechanics coming out of Japan.

It's skub.
>>
>>323990408

"Feel" is entirely unimportant. Souls games have an emphasis on character customization and freedom. class selection, character stat allocation, with a non-linear game progression. It's a WRPG.

>>323990710
And people like you are the stupidest. We use labels because it makes shit easier to communicate verbally rather than saying "yeah I like (games that have list of specific common gameplay elements that we could simplify to a handful of words with a label instead of being verbose), those are my favorite".
>>
This argument is akin to classifying a band by one genre.
You can say something is metal, but then there are more specific aspects of it which usually vary song to song.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (142KB, 944x940px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
142KB, 944x940px
I remember when I first played this I imagined what the sequels would look like in the near future and the distant future, well D3 ended up being dog shit and Dank Souls ended up being what imagined that would be like and more. I also predicted a bunch of retards would make bad Zelda comparisons when a more obvious game was apt and that i would have a fetish for large balled asylum demons.

I remember a lot of people refusing to call Diablo an ARPG back then, but people will readily call Dark/demon that.
>>
>>323990893
feels nothing like the souls

if you're strictly talking about the combat then lords of the fallen is the cloest thing western devs have made thats the closet to the souls combat wise

>>323991065
it's not.
>emphasis on character customization and freedom. class selection, character stat allocation, with a non-linear game progression.
so to heart 2 dungeon travelers is WRPG?
>>
>>323991065
So The Wither 2 is a jrpg?
>>
>>323991065
That's a shit way to communicate, because it relies on everyone else making the same generalizations and assumptions as you. Which they shouldn't, because you're wrong.

Use words that have meaning instead of buzzwords. You silly cunt.
>>
>>323991134
>compete free* over the internet
>diablo laughing in the background
But yeah, I would say Dark Souls is more inspired by Diablo's atmosphere as far as video game influences go.
>>
>>323991190
It's a GTA game set in medieval poland where the mafia is played by all of the townsfolk since everyone is rotten and evil except Gear-ault and his five friends and that one guy he kinda sorta likes. Even the post man has an evil agenda, he wants Trisses nail clippings.
>>
>>323989285

People seem to have this idea that genres are cut and dry.

Devil May Cry IS hack and slash. Just because it isn't an isometric dungeon crawler doesn't change the fact you HACK and SLASH monsters
>>
>>323991443
A fine example of what is wrong with this.
I hope for your sake this is bait.
Grand Theft Auto is not a genre.
>>
>>323991190

>jrpg
>branching story and dialogues

Choose 1
>>
When I read JRPG I immediately think of final fantasy turn based or Atb gauge, even that recent xenoblade game that feels like an MMO.
>>
>>323991596
Only one? Growlanser 2, I guess, that game was pretty fun.
>>
>>323991596
Don't the mega ten games have branching stories?

30 seconds in google.
http://www.cheatcc.com/extra/toptengameswithbranchingstorylines2.html
Take notice how many of those are eastern.
>>
>using jrpg or wrpg to define anything besides cultural origin
You faggots need to die
>>
>>323991065

Kingdom Hearts has allocation of skills and magic, does that mean it's WRPG?
>>
Japanese rpg
Western rpg
why don't they just split it up even more that way we can shitpost about which country makes better stuff
>>
>>323992193
we should call north american made rpgs fag-rpg
since most of their shit have the focus on faggot characters and the player character is also a faggot

>b-but u can choose not to be a faggot!
if you CAN choose to be a faggot you ARE a faggot
actual man doesnt have the option to choose to be a faggot, they just dont
>>
Why do consolefaggots act as if a genre that's been a staple of PC gaming since the 80s is suddenly theirs because some console developer made a mediocre game that borrows heavily from PC dungeon crawler tropes?
>>
>>323989705
souls games arent JRPGs. theyre just action rpgs. jrpg is used to describe specific gameplay systems, not just what country the game came from.
>>
>>323989026
I don't know......eating dog shit feels a lot like playing dark souls.
Is dog shit a wrpg? I heard wrpgs are dog shit.
>>
>>323992387
>specific gameplay systems
Such as?
>>
>>323992349
>Nier
'nuff said.
>>
>>323992387
Nope. Before the terms jrpg and wrpg were popularized we used more descriptive ones like>>323989850 .
>>
>>323992634
We still use SRPG, CRPG, ARPG.
>>
>>323992053

Pretty much this. There's never been point in differentiating the acronyms since their names alone just mean "RPGs from Japan; RPGs from anywhere BUT Japan"
>>
>>323989026
Souls RPG factor sucks and follows the western model.

To protect it from being called a modern Castlevania and pretend it has depth soulsfags call it a WRPG.

It's a 3D action-platformer
>>
Video games are a joke medium because not even their genres can describe what they are.
>>
>>323992738
when arcanum was first released i called it a rpg

when diablo was first released i called it a rpg
>>
>>323992892
>I'm ignorant, everyone else must be too
>>
>>323992349

Then what are we calling jrpgs?
Because in those you can only be a faggot.
You cant choose.
>>
>>323993130
do you even know what a faggot means?

name 1 japanese rpg that the main male character have a visual sex scene with another character

oh wait you cant
>>
File: 1435620007436.gif (3MB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1435620007436.gif
3MB, 300x360px
>>323992830
>To protect it from being called a modern Castlevania and pretend it has depth soulsfags call it a WRPG.

>Modern Castlevania
>no Dracula
>no clock tower
>no medusa heads

Checkmate fagula
>>
>>323992892
and? That's your fault.
I'm not saying you're the worst kind of human on the planet for not giving a more descriptive term to the games...
It's like... You're right, but you're not as right as you could be. No one can say that those games are not RPGs, but what kind of RPG they are yes, you can be "wrong".
Pardon my English.
All CRPGs are RPGs, but not all RPGs are CRPGs for instance.
>>
>>323993262
Bunny Black
>>
>>323993336
thats an eroge you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>323993385
So?
>>
>>323993771
name 1 american rpg where you can't be a faggot
>>
File: planescape-torment-box.jpg (47KB, 404x502px) Image search: [Google]
planescape-torment-box.jpg
47KB, 404x502px
>>323993915

Bam.
>>
>>323993262

They may not have sex. But they look like faggots on any screen they appear.

You may find them normal looking, because thats what your daddies taught you, but no they are not.
>>
>>323993915
As a weeaboo I'm offended by how your post implies that I would ever touch an american game.
>>
File: 1441139847398.jpg (13KB, 472x357px) Image search: [Google]
1441139847398.jpg
13KB, 472x357px
>>323994051
Is this picture manly or gay?
>>
Gothic
>>
>>323994209
The one who posted it sure is.
>>
>>323994209
See
>>323992583
>>
>>323994434
>>323994528
>being this insecure
>>
Oh yea, you ignore the game I posted, retard. Real convenient for you, negroid.
>>
>>323994779
that was before america was faggotified by sjws you faggot nigger autist
>>
>>323994896
>Derka derka, buzzword jihad.
>>
>>323994976
enjoy your sjw and faggot video games dumb american
>>
>>323994896

Nice goalpost shift there you niggering mongoloid fuckbait dipshit.

You literally asked for an American RPG without faggotry, I showed you one. You have been bested. Ergo, you lose.
>>
>>323995192
say that to my face fucker not online and see what happens
>>
>>323995312

>memeing this hard

Go to bed, kiddo
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.