[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't Sony see PC as competition?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 14

File: Sony-Playstation-logo1.jpg (25KB, 705x345px) Image search: [Google]
Sony-Playstation-logo1.jpg
25KB, 705x345px
Why doesn't Sony see PC as competition?
>>
Video game sales are significantly smaller than what is seen on console
>>
Simple. They just dont give a fuck.
>>
>>323763090

They do that's why they have devs block steam jap games from jap users in Japan
>>
PC can't moneyhat exclusives
>>
>>323763090
Console market =/= PC market
>>
>>323763090
Sony knows PC is not relevant to PS4 sales.
>>
>>323763297
PC can't afford to even fund the initial development of those games let alone moneyhat finished projects.
>>
Because PC is primarily a platform for enthusiasts. As long as they're beating MS and Nintendo, they have nothing to worry about.
>>
Because they know console users are too poor to afford anything beyond 350-400 bux for gaming
>>
They know casuals and dudebros aren't going to build a PC just to play Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.
>>
>>323763394
This. Sony know full well there's quite a few people out there who aren't ever going to buy a console even if it has a sizeable library of quality exclusives.

Plus shitholes like Eastern Europe and South America where game consoles simply aren't economically viable for 99% of people.
>>
Because PC sales is not even 1/4 of that of console sales
>>
>>323763691
do you have a source other then your ass?
>>
they're just different markets. The kind of person who would build a PC instead of buying a console is going to do it anyway.

The console only group is huge as fuck and unwilling to put in effort.
>>
>>323763090
>Why doesn't Sony see PC as competition?

Same reason tv companies don't see smart phones as competition. A PC is a tool, a console is a toy, barest of the facts.

Toys compete with toys, tools with tools, even if they overlap functions.
>>
>Shitty PC = Gmod, CS, LoL, Dota, Hearthstone
>Quality PC = Enthusiast level performance, modding

The PS4 knows there's pretty much no room to compete. While it's technically possible to have a PC at the same price as a PS4 that runs similarly/better, nobody would go through that hassle.
>>
>>323763763
>I NEED A SOURCE ON THE SKY BEING BLUE

Look it up yourself, faggot. check every game, not gonna spoonfeed you
>>
>>323763090
Because pc isn't a gaming platform.

Also, PS and pc are like cousins. PS succeeded bringing pc audience to consoles initially.
>>
At this rate I don't think they see anyone as competition. Especially when Microsoft fucked up so hard this gen.

And now they're trying to force people into Windows 10 against their will. I don't think Microsoft want to survive.
>>
>>323763763
Look at the sales numbers of AAA games?

70% of Witcher 3 copies were on consoles.
>>
File: tumblr_nlh097ny331uqb95ao1_1280.jpg (160KB, 798x568px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlh097ny331uqb95ao1_1280.jpg
160KB, 798x568px
good bring all sony and ms exclusives. im pirating all of it
>>
>>323764068
>present false information
>ask for source
>LOOK IT UP YOURSELF LMAO!
nice one dude.
>>
bc ps4's target market are too dumb to build a PC
>>
File: 1384203294846.jpg (189KB, 900x895px) Image search: [Google]
1384203294846.jpg
189KB, 900x895px
>>323764103

PC gets PS4 exclusives. PC gets Xbone exclusives.

People would have to be pretty fucking bonkers not to own a PC to play on.
>>
>>323764174
thats not a source retard
>>
>>323763090
there's a joke about having no games in here isn't it?
>>
>>323763763
CD project stated: ''without consoles there would have been no witcher 3'' and they meant every sense of the word and its absolutely true.
>>
File: 1438170204047.png (27KB, 338x61px) Image search: [Google]
1438170204047.png
27KB, 338x61px
because timed exclusives works for both party.
>>
>>323763090
Are you seriously asking this?

Did you really PC and consoles compete? It's like comparing apples and oranges
>>
>>323764350
>PC gets PS4 exclusives

Wait BB is on PC?
>>
>>323764174
>lumping consoles together versus PC
so it's 35% Xbox one, 35% PS4, and 30% PC?
that's closer than 1/4th btw. I'd wager to say right now PC probably pulled ahead of the two consoles.
>>
File: B0pOv-jCAAA_K2k.jpg (68KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
B0pOv-jCAAA_K2k.jpg
68KB, 768x1024px
>>323763090
PC isn't competition. If Sony wanted to compete they would be the biggest gaming platform on PC right now.
>>
>>323764546
Witcher 3 was just one example, and you have to factor in CD Projekt was trying to get as many sales on GOG as possible by basically offering it for $35 new as a pre-order if you owned 1&2 already.

Which also goes to say they made more profit per console copy sold as a result.
>>
>>323764350
It can play games, that doesn't mean it was meant for it.

Even less considering all the decent stuff are ports.
>>
>>323764845
And? What about shit like retail fees? Digital sales probably brought in alot more revenue.
The truth is we'll never know. It's not my point to say that consoles are bad, I'm here to point out that PC sales do match console sales, and it's absolutely retarded to think otherwise.
>>
>>323764350
PC only gets a small amount of JRPGs without resorting to emulators, and fighters die on arrival thanks to the lack of crossplay.

Not much reason to still deal with Sony consoles outside of those two niches.
>>
File: 1452068282456.png (893KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
1452068282456.png
893KB, 900x599px
>>323763090
Because they rarely overlap.
PC users are either entitled fucks that just feel superior for no reason or people that actually realized how fucked up the current consoles are and decided to take a more personal and wider approach.
Sony users are either ignorant fucks that prefer 15 fps and cinematic experiences and embraces hd remakes or a guy that has been with sony for years and stays with them on a already dying out console war that already has xbox and nintendo out of the picture, but at the cost of not having that many games.

It WILL be seen as a competition in maybe next gen, but not right now.
>>
There is no point competing with PC, I just wish they went back to Sony vs Nintendo rather than Sony vs Xbox. But that's more Nintendo's fault than Sony.
>>
>>323765084
>Digital sales probably brought in alot more revenue.
Besides Witcher 3 also having sold 75% of its units from physical copies. That 25% digital does not come close to the same level of revenue despite being free money for them (aside from copies sold on other fronts like Steam).
>>
>>323763090
Why would they?

That's like asking if Steam sees Apple as competition.
>>
>>323763090
some people prefer to buy physical
>>
>>323765084

It depends on the game actually. MGS V did ok on pc and xbone but sold a lot more on ps4 since that's where most of the series is natively. But stuff like xcom sells like shit on consoles to where they just go back to pc. On games with similar interest you usually have similar sales between the ps4 and pc. Maybe ps4 edges out by a little bit since it's cheaper and more advertised to normies and casuals vs pc that gets no advertising.
>>
>>323763090
Because there is no competition saleswise. They don't give a fuck
>>
I got a PS4 for Japanese games. Despite PC getting some they won't get all the ones I want so I can't justify just having PC.
>>
>>323765345
Steam probably does see Apple as competition, seeing as how they're taking away their audience for all the shitty shovelware.
>>
>>323763465
Who is PC in this context?
>>
>>323766296
Exactly. Nobody.
Which is why it'll almost always that the backseat while consoles lead the industry even though they aren't as powerful
>>
>>323766296
That's the point, PC is nobody within that context that's why it can't do those things.
>>
>>323763090
Because Personal Computers are a companion device, much like a smartphone.
>>
File: 29q1.gif (748KB, 500x482px) Image search: [Google]
29q1.gif
748KB, 500x482px
STOP MAKING THESE SFV EXCLUSIVITY THREADS
Why are you so upset about the wording on a fucking box. It's that same fucker making these stupid as threads
>>
>>323766296

The pc being so open is an advantage and disadvantage.

On one hand you can't be jewed on backwards compatibilty, have limitations on what you can run, forced to pay for your own games again, pay for playing online and have set limited hardware.

The disadvantage is no one owns it thus no one has any reason to try to push it forward, advertise for it and bribe devs to keep or make things exclusive.
>>
>>323765283
Actually they said 50% of the revenue was thanks to digital sales.
>>
>>323764103
>PC isn't a gaming platform
I'll take "What is Blatant Shitpost" for 400 please.
>>
File: Bar.gif (1023KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Bar.gif
1023KB, 500x282px
>>323763763
>>323764210

man, It's not common to see someone as delusional as you

-no matter the actual sales numbers you might see
-no matter how many devs outright say their game wouldn't be made if it was PC exclusive
-no matter how many past PC titles get reincarnated via crowdfunded projects only

You can't see ANY of those as an indication that PC gaming doesn't sell nearly as much (I'm talking about mid to high end games, not LoL, Hearthstone, etc) and that each copy doesn't give the dev nearly the same profit due to constant sales, promotions and bundles

I don't know what to tell you breh
Right now there's a thread of a guy who is about to give 15$ to sony for a PS2 port on PS4 he could just as easily emulate on PC. The console consumer base simply spends more money, be it full price for new games or paying for old ass ports

I already saw plenty of people canceling or not buying Dragon's Dogma on PC (which is at half "full-price") because of the leak, even though it is an amazing port and they are having a good time with it. It's just how PC players react, they usually jew everyone out if they can. Only pirating whenever possible, never buying games at full price because a 75% sale will drop 6 months later, or buying bundles of 10 games for 2$. The infamous Steam backlogs are precisely a result of these actions

Console players much more often buy brand new full-priced games on release, pay too much for old games, and use discounts only sporadically.
>>
>>323763090

It's not Sony, Developers don't see PC as a gaming platform.
>>
File: You can keep 'em.jpg (776KB, 1503x1979px) Image search: [Google]
You can keep 'em.jpg
776KB, 1503x1979px
>>323764350
good one

Even though you will get FF15 one day, it'll take 4 years (if we follow FF13's example) for a port

No one who actually wants these games could wait 6 months after release to play them, much less 3 or 5 years.
I'm glad to be an idort just so that I don't have my hearstrings pulled, I don't have to hope some port rumor is true and cross my finders X game gets on PC 6months to a year later in the best case scenario. I can simply play them on release day, no worries, guaranteed. And if they jsut so happen to get a port years down the line I might enjoy them a second time, like I'm about to with Dragon's Dogma.

Of course if you didn't care for Nip games in the first place this doesn't affect you.
>>
Because Sony can actually make money selling games on PC wo directly funding their competitors.

To Sony PC isn't a competitor its a source of extra income.

Hell divers came out on pc and everyone gone tot he rapture is coming soon.
I would not be surprised if more non first party IPs eventually come to pc.
Hell if Bloodborne 2 comes out Sony might even port the first one on PC.
>>
File: 00000987~01.jpg (17KB, 154x250px) Image search: [Google]
00000987~01.jpg
17KB, 154x250px
Japanese devs don't see PC as a viable platform in their own fucking country. All those SNK, Arc System Works, CompIle Heart, Square Enix, and Capcom ports of consoles games to steam that have been happening in the last few years aren't even available for Japanese people to purchase in their territory. PC gaming for this gen has just fit itself into the "Port it to Xbox for the Western Territories" mindset since the Bone isn't that popular
>>
>>323767746

Sony does see it as one at least partially. But not as much as xbone due to having the barrier of building a pc and price. Once someone is on pc though they tend to stick with it.

Hellduvet is a literally what game. Sfv looks shitty, half assed and its a fighting game which pc users don't care about.

MS in the other hand seem to be about to make a big push but it's natural since windows is their platform so they stand to benefit a lot.
>>
>>323767746
>Hell if Bloodborne 2 comes out Sony might even port the first one on PC.
Let's not get crazy I bet you assume Demon's Souls is coming to PC some day soon as well huh?
>>
>>323767910

Complete bs as usual. If it wasn't viable they wouldn't go through the effort of blocking their own games from their own jap community on steam.

But we all know it's done to direct their own people to Japanese products. Prob since it would hamper the ps4 more since it ain't selling in droves in Japan either.
>>
>>323768527
There isn't any conspiracy about it, it would be a waste of time to sell those games on nip steam. Less then 5% would have pcs that can run that shit and the used game market is so aggressive in Japan that if it's just ports of old shit they're guaranteed to get it cheaper than whatever it's being sold for on steam. Like Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen PS3 is being sold for 1500 yen, why would someone pay more than that for what they would see as minimal changes? PC is just not a gaming platform to those people
>>
>>323768527
Jap normies wouldn't want to play on PC anyways.
They already own a mobile phone/3ds/ps4.
Only otakufats play vidya on PC in Japan
>>
>>323769436
Nah, this is bs. I've seen plenty of girls on nico playing games on Steam and playing Battlefield 4 on PC.
>>
File: 1452596249275.png (124KB, 5000x2571px) Image search: [Google]
1452596249275.png
124KB, 5000x2571px
How come no one was asking this question about Microsoft and PC with Rise of the Womb Raider? Remember that was a console exclusive too and I didn't have to see 600 threads asking why MS doesn't see PC as a competitor or highlighting console exclusivity text on a box
>>
File: 1452203143879.jpg (64KB, 404x400px) Image search: [Google]
1452203143879.jpg
64KB, 404x400px
>>323769879
>this anecdotal evidence makes my assertion true
Man just get over your stupid complex and play whatever retarded game you're upset that's being labeled a ps4 exclusive
>>
>>323763090
Because they can't afford to pay for full exclusivity.
>>
>>323764068
Well at least this isn't a food analogy
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 456x110px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 456x110px
>>
>>323767317
No source given aside from shit you see on /v/? Next time don't waste your time replying.
>>
>>323771201
What's the big deal
>>
>>323763090
Because it isn't.
>>
>>323771201
>Literal meme image
>>
>>323771976
Is meme another word for fake?
That one is taken from one of the No Man's Sky e3 presentations.
>>
>>323772086
You aren't getting shit faggot.

Deal with it.
>>
>>323771201
>>323767746
Remember folks, Sony released their own first party games, H1Z1 and PS2, on PC first, porting them to Playstation years later.
>>
>>323772086
You are burning with rage at the fact that the PC is not seen as a competitor to any console manufacturer. Shit like the Ouya doesn't even consider the pc a competitor
>>
>>323763090
But they do. Otherwise they would have no problem porting their games to it.
>>
They don't really have overlapping audiences, I'd almost argue that Nintendo isn't really competition for Sony or Microsoft either.

If people are going to build PC's they're going to build PC's and play their PC exclusives, just like Nintendo. Nintendo fans are going to go for the Zelda/SSB/Mario stuff, they aren't going to be persuaded by COD
>>
File: comfy.jpg (79KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
79KB, 409x409px
>>323771386
You are admiting you don't trust anything posted within /v/, so me giving a source wouldn't mean anything

If you can't look up sales numbers or dev interviews there's not much I can do. Such information is widely available, do a 10 second google research and you'll find it

Seriously, what are you still doing in this thread? Or /v/ in general? Just close all 4chan tabs and go look it up yourself
>>
Well, when even Xbone doesn't see PC as a competition, why do you think Ps4 would? I mean, isn't that like sad that "master race" isn't seen as competition to "peasant machines"? Doesn't that make you angry, that feel that PC gamers are worth to be considered as competition?
>>
>>323773467
>Doesn't that make you angry, that feel that PC gamers AREN'T worth to be considered as competition?

My bad, sorry.
>>
Because PC is Personal Computerâ„¢ not a console.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.