[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sooo, are these good things or bad things? Having entire characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 13

File: Figurines.png (965KB, 784x888px) Image search: [Google]
Figurines.png
965KB, 784x888px
Sooo, are these good things or bad things?

Having entire characters and content locked behind figurines? Is it worth it?
>>
>>323687182
The way Disney and Skylanders do it is bad because they lock a lot of actual content behind them. They're like expensive DLC.

The way Nintendo is doing them (so far) is fine because it's mostly cosmetics, but eventually Nintendo will make Nintendo Infinity and be the same problem
>>
>>323687182
I would have thought it was cool when I was younger, but I'm pretty ambivalent on it now.

If I played a lot of NIntendo games I would probably get a couple.
>>
>>323687360
>>323687398
I just don't like how many companies are jumping on this bandwagon.

Soon stages and levels will be sold separately as playsets.
>>
>>323687360
But the target audience (actual kids) don't see it like that. Kids dig them because you get a physical toy to play with and get that character in the game.
>>
>>323687535
Are you implying selling levels was ever ok?
>>
There's a skylanders racing game with 3 different race types. Each vehicle you buy falls into one of those types so you can have an entire race type locked behind paywall since you cant use land vehicles in water
>>
>>323687182
They are awful things but retards still buy them by the dozens
>>
>>323687696
Is Skylanders even good? Are any of them good? Because they've been shitting them out with a little gimmick time after time just so they can make new figures.
>>
>>323687913
The first two skylanders are fun and you can play through the whole game with just what's in the starter pack. I'm not sure it's worth the extra money, but it's not like old tie-in shit.
>>
>>323687913
It's a activision franchise
They know how to milk yearly franchises
>>
>>323687913
It would be great if you had all the characters without paying.
Graphics seem outdated but who knows, it might just be my shit vision
I play it with my cousin when i visit
He has some mental illness
>>
ITS ONLY OKAY FOR NINTENDO TO DO IT.
>>
>>323687360

Nintendo is just as bad. Don't pretend.

The other 2 guarantees you that your figure will give you something.

Amiibos can't even guarantee if your figure will unlock shit in any game. Game and Watch probably has 2 compatible games last I checked while Yoshi works on practically every fucking game.

And then there's the type of content they unlock is a complete variable. You don't know if it locks gameplay elements or cosmetics, and if they do, you better pray there's a decent reprint because distribution is ass.

At least I know if I buy a Vanellope, I get a fucking Vanellope and I don't have to spend an eternity tracking her down.
>>
>>323687913
>Is Skylanders even good? Are any of them good?

>Is this game that kick started an entire new genre and had two of the industry giants rip it off good?
>>
You think that's bad?

>Disney Infinity on Steam lets you buy the characters in the game without actually owning them.

>They unlock only for the version you're paying. Example: Mickey 1.0 won't be unlocked for 2.0 version. You need to buy it for every version.
>>
It's shitty, but it's pretty much the same thing as the DLC nickel-and-diming that occurs with just about every game these days. If anything, it's a slight step up, because at least these games give you physical merchandise to go with your shitty business practices.
>>
>>323688821
This is exactly why Nintendo's ok.
They're not locking content. They're just useless pieces of shit.
But I know it wont be that way forever.
>>
>>323688952
They didn't rip off the gameplay style, just the figurines.
>>323688969
You're just yanking my dick, right?
>>
>>323688821

Would you really want a Smash Bros game where you have to unlock every character by purchasing their figurine?

I am glad they have kept it to a minimum.
>>
>>323687182
They're not part of this complete neckbeards breakfast and the issue is that a lot of companies seem to think they are a final destination. "People want casual games, people want figurines, people want a pastiche of both!"
>>
I saw the Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars starter whatever the fuck on sale at Best Buy for like 40 bucks and almost bought it. I'm big into Star Wars but I can't imagine buying all the figures for 13 bucks a pop.

Is the game even good? What do you actually do in it? Is it like Lego Star Wars or what?
>>
>>323688969

That doesn't sound right. The steam version is tied to your Disney Infinity account. Unless you're making a new account for every version, all your figures are cross compatible.

It's also just an option. Your physical figures can be used to unlock the characters on the PC version.
>>
How in the riveting fuck did Skylanders ever got so popular?

I thought that one Spyro redesign had flopped so bad it guaranteed Spyro's burial.

Who the fuck even likes a purple chihuahua with dragon wings?
>>
>>323687696
the sad thing is that that racing game is actually super fucking baller

not the main console versions, the weird Wii version that's completely different

it's like Crash Team Racing levels of awesome

I bought it because I collect Amiibos and I wanted turbo charged donkey kong.

I've collected all but two of the currently released amiibos.

Shovel Knight's my favorite.
>>
>>323689249
I don't own it but it looks like a OK sandbox game where you make levels and play other peoples levels using shit from the movies and various universes.

Not my bag. I'm not creative, and I don't want to sift through the shit other people make.
>>
>>323689249

Game is fun. It's on the same level of the Lego games. Kid friendly co-op.

You don't need to buy every figure. Just the ones you like. It's not necessary to complete any of the game modes.
>>
>>323687182
None are that good, but all are fun to collect for ones you like.
Disney's all have the same general artstyle and look very ugly and lose individual charms. Dunno about the...game(s?).
Skylanders reinvented scalping, notoriously pulled some bad shit by making some kind of horrible light/dark content lock, and are becoming more and more of "buy more to play" instead of being ok with 1.
Amiibos had a terrible first release, but are better to find now. Still, they do absolutely fucking nothing worth $12+ in many games, with many doing nothing unique outside of Smash.
>>
>>323689456
Is Spyro even still headlining this? I know his name doesn't carry as much weight as it used to, but he basically got sidelined in his own "series".

It's like they used him as a springboard.
>>
> No mention of Lego Dimensions

Did it sucked that badly?
>>
>>323689249
If you're patient, Disney Infinity shit goes on sale all the time. If you wait until later this year when Disney Infinity 4.0: Whatever The Fuck It Is This Time comes out, you'll be able to get the Star Wars game and characters for less than half of what they sell for now. I don't even own the games, but I picked up the Guardians of the Galaxy characters for like $4-5 each, just because they're nice-looking figures.
>>
>>323689739
It's a Lego game, it's totally fine.
>>
>>323687535
But skylanders and Disney already do this.
>>
>>323689109

The fuck it is.

>>323689198

That's besides the point. The way Nintendo is rolling out Amiibo support, it could actually get to that point,except now you're fucked because their distribution is garbage.

It started with AI partners
Then we got cosmetics
Then we got an entire moveset
Then we got an entire mode
Then we got challenge maps
Then we got an entire game

You think they're not building up to something? Because they very clearly are testing out how far they can stretch these pieces of shit.
>>
>>323689685

>Skylanders: Spyro's adventure

Nigga u serious?

I was asking during its prime time. When Spyro was the springboard.

When I saw that shit in stores I thought to myself: Is anyone seriously going to like all these literally whos?

And look at where we are now.
>>
>>323689846
I meant physical play sets. Like you played with when you were 5.
>>323689739
Did Lego Dimensions have figurines?
>>
>>323687182
I wonder how Skylanders and Disney Infinity would be if the people buying these figures had the same mindset as a lot of amiibo collectors, who basically hoard them to make money from fags desperate to get one of the more popular ones.

That said, it really doesn't mean jack shit if the supplies aren't fucking terrible like the amiibos.
>>
>>323689740

>mfw I got a tinkerbell figurine for 5 bucks just to hot glue it

Best 5 dollars I've spent.
>>
>>323689685
>>323689456
It wasn't ever really meant to be a Spyro game. With the first game, one of the mockups the toy sculptors made was a dragon that happened to look a bit like Spyro. Activision realized, "hey, we still own the rights to this modestly-popular IP - let's turn that dragon character purple and slap the Spyro name on it and see if it gets any nostalgia sales." It took off, but not because of Spyro's involvement, so they just scaled him back to one of the many characters in future installments.
>>
>>323689739

It's a buggy piece of shit that's way more Jewish than all the other TTL games and literally has pay walls. You can't get past certain barriers unless you own X Y or Z character.

The gameplay is nothing new if you played every other Lego Game and the length is short as fuck. Replaybility is nonexistent unless you keep buying more level packs for 30 bucks that only gives you an hour of content.

At least the other 2 games have some RPG elements and replaybility
>>
>>323689940
So you're saying amiibos are bad right now because they dont give you shit

Then you follow up and say amiibos are shit because they're locking content behind toys?
>>
>>323689464
>The weird Wii version that's completely different
>it's like Crash Team Racing levels of awesome

Interesting... I picked up both Dark edition starter packs, but I picked up the Wii version version first.

>I bought it because I collect Amiibos and I wanted Turbo Charged Donkey Kong.

You do know that they're selling the Skymiibos in their own character-vehicle combo pack now, right?

>>323689685

He isn't the main focus of the series anymore, but he can still be played as if you have the figure.

>>323690010

Yep, but they're more expensive than the other three.

>>323690086
>I wonder how Skylanders and Disney Infinity would be if the people buying these figures had the same mindset as a lot of amiibo collectors, who basically hoard them to make money from fags desperate to get one of the more popular ones.

That kind of mindset exists in Skylanders, but only for variant figures and older, hard-to-find figures.
>>
Taking into account that people complain both that they lock content and that they don't unlock content I'd say amiibo is rather fine.
>>
>>323689739
the only thing keeping me away is the price. its all expensive as fuck
>>
>>323689940

Toom Nook is on Amazon for 5 bucks
The KK Slider set has gone to 23
And the game with amiibos is 30

They can stretch it if done it right. Their little empire fell flat with Amiibo Festival.

A Nintendoland where you use the characters you have would boost sales once more but guess what? That requires effort.
>>
>>323690298
>You do know that they're selling the Skymiibos in their own character-vehicle combo pack now, right?
Yeah, I do. I bought it like two weeks before they started doing that.

I got a good deal on them though, so I'm not too bothered. The individual packs retail for 25 bucks, I got them for 40, so whatever.
>>
>>323690086

Skylanders and Infinity were scalped to hell at launch m8.

Disney and Activision solved it by doing the obvious. Shipping more of the damn things.

>>323690117

Spyro was always part of Skylanders. He was supposed to be a mentor non playable character in the franchise though. He narrate the game and gave you tips.
>>
>>323690298
>Yep, but they're more expensive than the other three.

With what happened to amiibo they think they all can pull the same over priced shit.

> Frozen, the most popular franchise ever, had a set for 30 bucks.
> After amiibo hit the market, for some reason it went up to 35 in stores.
> Inside Out comes out. A set with 2 figurines costs 40 bucks.

What the fuck is wrong with these companies?
>>
>>323690419
I'm pretty glad that Amiibo Festival failed, because if I'm honest I'm not fond of how Nintendo is making new amiibos for new games.

Like, the point of amiibo is to unlock content across multiple games, but that novelty is kinda lost when you make new amiibo for a new game. Don't make a new Wolf Link amiibo for Twilight Princess HD and then bundle the game with it, make it so the old Zelda amiibos unlock things in it and keep it at that.

I know the old Zelda amiibos unlock things in TP, but I wish it stayed at that level.

Maybe moving forward Nintendo will start making games with older amiibos in mind instead of making new amiibos for new games. I'd kill for a Mario Party or Nintendoland styled game where I could scan in any amiibo and have that character be the one I'm playing as.
>>
>>323690298
>That kind of mindset exists in Skylanders, but only for variant figures and older, hard-to-find figures.
I believe those are the types of figures one would expect to be sought after, especially considering that they are no longer being stocked normally. Nowhere near amiibo levels, but still. Makes me wonder how long it will take for Disney Infinity figures to start going out of production and then go for like twice the original price or more on eBay.
>>
>>323690418

B-but Anon, don you know? The more costly it is, the better!

Just look at the iDiots paying for a phone year after year.
>>
>>323690691
Oi vey, dear Anon. No need to get so heated under the collar. You seem like a smart goyim, yeah? All these good honest companies are trying to do is make smart shekels. And it's working!

Kids will buy
Collectors will buy
Scalpers will buy

That's three groups right there.
>>
>>323690691

Frozen set was out before amiibos. Sets were also always part of the TTL genre.

Both the Frozen and Inside Out sets have an MSRP of around $30. I can't remember. Your problem is with the retailers, mainly Toys'R'Us who bumps up everything by a dollar.

And I know it's TRU because out of all the retailers, they're the only ones I noticed that ordered a bazillion Elzas.
>>
File: Literally disgusting.gif (1MB, 245x244px) Image search: [Google]
Literally disgusting.gif
1MB, 245x244px
>>323690765
>Amiibo Festival
Fuck me, the game doesn't even look good.
>>
I have the most autistic collection of all three of these fucking games, Like if i took a picture of this shit I'd be deemed with maximum autism.

But you know what? I like hunting them, i like earning money and going out and buying these hard to find figures, calling stores and building my collection. Not to mention leveling them all up and playing through the games, which are a nice respite from shooters and the censored bull shit Nintendo churns out.

The combat in 3.0 is fun as fuck and the character building in Skylanders is fucking great.
Amiibos kind of fucking suck.
>>
>>323690086
>amiibo
>hoard
They're not region locked so only idiots think they're rare.
>>
>>323690765

Another problem lies in their fucking selection.

They made amiibos of animal crossing characters nobody even recognizes.

Yet the most requested, Ashley or Daisy for example, are constantly being ignored up the ass.

On top of that how many fucking Marios can they possibly make?
>>
>>323691215

I'm still waiting for the villager dressed as Mario.

It's coming, I can feel it.
>>
>>323691107

Nigga read again, I said the price got bumped after amiibo released.

Also, this was at Walmart and Gamestop.

Walmart upped the price to 35 on the Frozen set.

And Gamestop had the Inside Out set for 40.
>>
File: WEOnL8a.jpg (367KB, 1698x954px) Image search: [Google]
WEOnL8a.jpg
367KB, 1698x954px
Nintendo could easily stop including digital stuff along with the amiibos and they wouldn't see much of a impact on sales.
Most people, including myself just buy it for the figure itself.
>>
>>323691215
I'd say the selection of animal crossing characters was reasonable, but I see what you're saying with Ashley and Daisy.

It looked like for a little bit they were going to do a second series of super mario amiibo with Wario, Kong, Rosalina, and Daisy, but those didn't seem to take off at all? I remember Mario Party 10 had art assets that referenced amiibos of those characters but nothing happened.

As for Ashley, I think maybe Ashley will have to get her own standalone game before Nintendo decided to make an Amiibo of her. As much as people on /v/ love Ashley, she's incredibly obscure as far as Nintendo characters go. She's trapped in the Warioware games which haven't been doing well lately.
>>
>>323689740
Where are you seeing these sales? Online? Because everywhere I've seen them everything is still full price. I don't avidly seek them out or anything though.
>>
>>323691154

It's not even a game braw.

Nintendo originally stated it was going to be a free eshop game that would require amiibos to play with.

Guess wut? They tried to bait isabelle fags into buying their shitty f2p game instead.

And I am oh so glad it flopped.
>>
>>323691408
You know this goes on sale for like 24.99 or less once a month right?
>>
>>323691201

> inb4 Nintendo starts region locking amiibo like their regin lock their shit
>>
>>323691569
Gonna need a source on that.
>>
>>323691456
>tfw I'd probably have a collection of these too if I weren't a broke bum
L-Looks pretty cool, Anon.
>>
>>323687360
nintendo's is worse actually

Skylanders and Infinity are side things in activision and Disney interactive plans, a combination of toys and games that are also easily available

Nintendo's main focus is now on amiibo and has artificial scarcity to make fanboys clamor for every one they can find which leads to neckbeards buying multiple and then scalping them while children who may want their favorite Nintendo character are left without an amiibo plus they hardly do anything and have much lower quality than skylander and infinity
>>
>>323687182
Lego/WB is probably the worst of them with their pricing scheme, along with only mechanics locked behind the levels and no sandbox.
>>
>>323691682
Funny thing is it wouldn't do much because 90% of buyers want the figure not the cosmetics it gives in limited games.
>>
>>323687182
Bad things. These autistic, childish, cash suckers are one of the main reasons I won't have a Wii U and probably never buy any Nintendo gimmick console ever.
>>
>>323691552

There's like a sale every other week in stores and online . You rarely have to look for them.

I haven't bought an Infinity figure for full price thanks to Best Buy
>>
File: verboten.png (18KB, 176x207px) Image search: [Google]
verboten.png
18KB, 176x207px
>>323687182
>Spyro's Adventure
>Spyro isn't front and center
>>
>>323691629

I don't care about infinity braw, was just throwing my observation.
>>
>>323691742
Except Nintendo worked on the production issues, and very few amiibos are really overpriced.
Hell you got a bunch of them going for BELOW retail now
>>
>>323691552
Sometimes online, sometimes I pass by them in stores while looking for other things. It's not something I usually seek out, but most of the big box stores rotate sales in and out. I'm sure there are websites that track the sales or something.
>>
>>323691823
Well Anon, they aren't required for any game. All the content they unlock is optional.

Some games don't have any/negligable amiibo support.

I have one amiibo, a Link, that I don't even use anymore.
>>
>>323691742
Can you just stop shitposting?
>It's bad cause that's all they care about i swear
>They're SIDE THINGS for skylander and disney, but they're the MAIN FOCUS for nintendo
Just say it's bad for the obvious reason: It's locking content behind toys. Dont just say straight up bullshit.
>>
>>323691794

You really need a source to back up your claim otherwise you're pulling it out of your ass

Just like I'm about to do with the belief that it would actually spike up sells because even more retards will start collecting imported versions to add to their domestic collections [/spoiler ]
>>
>>323691686

My pleasure.

http://www.destructoid.com/psa-animal-crossing-amiibo-festival-is-not-a-free-download-it-s-actually-a-60-bundle-320237.phtml

> Earlier this year during E3, Nintendo reps informed multiple outlets that Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival would be a free eShop download, and all you would need is one figure to play it.
>>
>>323691987
Observe more.
>>
Skylanders and Infinity don't lock content out of ever other Disney or Activision game so they are much better than amiibos
>>
>>323692014
>Hell you got a bunch of them going for BELOW retail now

Yeah, the ones that flopped and stores can't get rid of
>>
>>323691929
He's been cucked right out of the franchise.
>>
>>323691794

And out of those 90% are morons who, just because the label doesn't say USA, it's automatically worthless.

Take a wild guess why Japanese amiibo are extremely cheaper compared to US scalped amiibo.
>>
>>323691929
it was never actually about spyro, they just had to put a known name on it when it first came out.

that's why every skylander game after the first dropped the spyro moniker
>>
>>323692259
>T-those dont count

I just got Zero Suit Samus for 10 bucks a few weeks ago
>>
>>323692246
Why do people get mad about the Hyrule Warriors top? Is it even any good?
>>
>>323692160
There's actually no source for that. It all came from ONE random guy on twitter saying ti would be free.
>>
File: 1424474485056.png (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1424474485056.png
2MB, 1600x1200px
>>323688969
>>323689295
because it isn't right.

Disney 1.0 isn't on Steam, and Disney 2.0's steam version is just a digital package of the already "free if you download it from their own website" with the marvel superheroes starter kit, which is more expensive than a physical copy

All of their figures and sets and shit you buy physical copies of come with digital codes that give them to you on PC and ipad.
>>
>>323691456
>Unboxing them
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>323691456

Orginze those figures son, they look like an eyesore.
>>
>>323692353
Looking at the quality of the game, I'd buy that.
>>
>>323692150
http://time.com/4131306/nintendo-kimishima-interview/

I'm still reaching deep into my cavernous ass, but I've still got a semblance of truth.
>>
>>323691472

They constantly push Ashley up the ass in the Japanese market.

It was also the only warioware character to get a skin in mario maker.

An amiibo of her doing absolutely nothing would sell like pancakes.

Nintendo is just that retarded.
>>
>>323692430
>He keeps his figures MIB
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD
>>
>>323692160
So the closest thing to a source is "A nintendo rep totally told multiple outlets (even though we're not one) that it's free".

Still though, they should release it for free on the eShop and see how many people buy the amiibos. Probably not many.
>>
>>323692316
I've got amiibo in their original packs because I don't give a shit about training them in smash and they don't do anything other than look pretty. How many wii-fit trainers are doing something other than act as hot glue magnets?
>>
>>323692092
>All the content they unlock is optional.
Then why you can't unlock content without them? I wouldn't mind if it just takes longer to unlock stuff, but even if it's mostly cosmetics, there is still on-disc locked content you are paying for and unnable to acess.
>>
>>323687182
Damn kids these days and their figurines.
When I was young we had action figures, with working joints, and wed play with them instead of some fancy pixel magic on the television.

We bought our sharkhead mutants to actually play with them and not just unlock some ones and zeros in a cheap ass game or to put it in a glass cabinet along with the rest of the useless heaps of plastic some people call a collection.
>>
>>323692714
Really puts it in perspective for me

>Used to play with gi joe action figure using imagination

>now? FUCK IMAGINATION, TAP DAT NFC READER WE'RE SAVING AMERICA
>>
amiibos being region-free are their only good feature

nintendo calls on them being software expanders, but then sell them like cosmetic pieces

why would the splatoon amiibo, which only works on splatoon, cost as much mario, which works on tons of shit?
>>
>>323692536
I'm thinking that because she has a costume in Mario Maker, she'll probably get an amiibo somewhere down the line pretty soon.

Timmy and Tommy Nook were in Mario Maker months before their amiibos were announced, so I'd say it's safe to assume that Mario Maker was made with planned, but unannounced amiibos in mind. We might even see Nikki get one soon.
>>
>>323692714

I would have loved an isometric rpg where I could collect monsters through figures if I were a kid.

I mean, mean and other kids basically did that with Pokémon and whatever shitty figures they decided to release. Name then after our actual Pokémon and trade that shit.
>>
>>323692714
Back when I was a kid, you unlocked new characters in a game just from playing it.
>>
>>323692676

Nigga that has nothing to do with my point.

I am not talking about keeping amiibos unpacked lol.

I am talking about idiots glorifying how rare an amiibo is based on the label they carry.
>>
>>323692876
I had GI JOE, they had spring loaded shit because even when I was young kids wanted gimmicks. Time marches on. The original B.A.T is still the best diesn for the,
>>
File: 1423617645803.gif (301KB, 270x271px) Image search: [Google]
1423617645803.gif
301KB, 270x271px
>>323692953
>Pokemon Amiibo
>They don't do shit outside of Smash and Super Mario Maker
>>
Consider the following.

>figurines are physical DLC
>for worse, but also for the better
>you can lend, borrow, give or resale your physical DLC like you would do with a physical game
>while you can't share at all most digital DLCs
>>
>>323693261
I suppose this is their greatest value, which really should be what they unlock in whatever games they're compatible with.
>>
>>323693256

>In Mario Maker they don't even get custom sounds.

Hopefully in Pokken they'd do something.

But knowing Nintendo they probably won't.
>>
>>323693261
You forgot:
>Online services will shut down one day. With your figure, you can still have accees to that dlc unlike someone who bought it digitally.
>Most of these figures work across multiple titles, meaning you get more dlc for the price of one
>>
File: rapeape.png (131KB, 420x366px) Image search: [Google]
rapeape.png
131KB, 420x366px
>>323693256
>Smash amiibos don't unlock the characters if they're DLC
>>
File: Funkeys Pic.jpg (60KB, 588x310px) Image search: [Google]
Funkeys Pic.jpg
60KB, 588x310px
>>
>>323693754
>But knowing Nintendo they probably won't.
It's not Nintendo, it's the Pokemon Company. They're stupidly protective of the Pokemon IP.

Fun fact that a lot of people don't know: Nintendo doesn't actually own Pokemon. They have a bizarre exclusivity agreement that technically the Pokemon company could pull out of at any point if they felt like it.

That's why the Pokemon amiibos don't do anything. The president of the Pokemon Company has autism and if Nintendo makes the wrong move they could go NUHHH UR STEALIN MUH POKEMANS and yank away Nintendo's biggest cash cow.
>>
>>323693981
>Traditional DLC is easily and widely available with no stock shortage until said service is shut down for some reason
>DLC locked behind physical goods
>If production stop or poor distribution then DLC may never be obtained in the first place or in the future without

They both have their pros and cons, don't pretend that this shit is the only way
>>
>>323694253
It's more of a weird stalemate, really, where TPC owns the Pokemon IP and brand name, but Nintendo owns a bunch of major Pokemon assets (a number of game mechanics, some character designs, etc.). So while both of them could pull out at any time, neither could make Pokemon games as we know them without the involvement of both companies. So they're stuck in this weird limbo of trying to appease each other to keep their cash cow afloat. Incidentally, that's probably why Nintendo has been working so hard with Level-5 to try and replicate Yokai Watch's Japanese success worldwide - having another exclusive cash-cow IP whose owners are easier to work with than TPC is in their best interests.
>>
>>323695551

Except that there's already an amiibo emulator.
>>
>>323697836

And you can pirate DLC, so both points are moot.

Defending either practice should be punishable by death really
>>
File: 1444839241856.gif (2MB, 252x170px) Image search: [Google]
1444839241856.gif
2MB, 252x170px
Seems to depend on the game. I have only 2 amiibos I got purely just to sit on my shelf and whenever I decided to try them out on a respective game I usually get something really uninteresting (the fucking 'we didn't make a costume for this amiibo' wooly yoshi costume) or some ai thing to fuck around with in smash that I don't think ANYONE is missing out on. But I don't think Nintendo wants amiibo to be collectors items and they're failing pretty hard at that.

Then you get that animal crossing game that I can't believe exists and is retailing full price. It's literally a low budget luck based board game with an expensive character select screen. I don't understand how this could turn into a solid business model from anyone involved in greenlighting the project. It would have made sense to have the AC amiibo compatible with the actual game people care about (new leaf).
>>
>>323698121
>the fucking 'we didn't make a costume for this amiibo' wooly yoshi costume
You own the Pikachu amiibo, eh?
>>
I'm in the extreme minority but I would kill for a Mega Man TTL game with a part swapping gimmick
>>
>>323698245

chibi robo but I wasn't surprised
>>
File: craps_yes_star_trek.gif (1MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
craps_yes_star_trek.gif
1MB, 300x225px
>>323698121
>It would have made sense to have the AC amiibo compatible with the actual game people care about (new leaf).
New Leaf predated amiibo by nearly two years, you couldn't really patch amiibo support in to a game that old and established. They'd have to make a brand new Animal Crossing game built from the ground up with amiibo in mind.

>mfw i just imagined an animal crossing game where you could get villagers inspired by nintendo characters from like every amiibo
>>
>>323698331

At this point, megafags would love anything.

Except overpriced ports.
>>
>>323698428

>mfw I imagined someone at Nintendo pitching this idea and the higher ups rejecting it because it's not interesting for them.
>>
>>323698443
I just want another battle network, fuck amiibos
>>
>>323698428

Not even some sort of expansion or dlc? Heck Nintendo has no problem doing some repackaged game ala pokemon third version. But yeah either way the board wii u game whatever was stupid.
>>
>>323687182

People are more negative toward these things that they need to be because in their mind they still frame it as "they locked away part of the game that would be available to me for free otherwise", but in reality companies have their whole business model contructed around this, with the budget and expected revenue of the DLC content accounted for.
>>
>>323687612
exactly, I would have killed for something like this when I was growing up
>>
>>323689940
what do you mean that's besides the point? THAT IS THE POINT YOU DUMB FUCK

They're good because they don't lock levels and characters behind a pay wall. When you buy smash, you get all of smash (- dlc characters) and amiibo just add little things as they should. You don't need to pay $13 to play like you do with they other ones. You are actually retarded.
>>
>>323699095

>It's OK!
>>
>>323698807
The board game should have been f2p without the animal Crossing theme. It could have an AC themed board but not the entire game.

All Amiibos should have been compatible.
>>
>>323694059
>expecting a figure that isn't suppose to do much to unlock $6 dlc over and over again
>>
amiibos are pretty ass.

Yeah they work in more games than Skylanders and Infinity figures, but only SOME work in more games than others, but they are all the same price so it's OK!

Fuck for example, pokemon amiibos are fucking worthless, they don't do shit, the only time they actually work is for games that don't use specific amiibos.

Nintendo barely tries to make amiibo games

You have Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, which instead of being just a regular party game, and could have used every amiibo, it decides to just use animal crossing amiibo, yeah that turned out GREAT.

Oh, and then there's Amiibo tap, Yeah it's F2P, but it's still just a glorified version of Masterpieces in Smash Bros.

In the end I'll buy it for the figure, but for what it is, it really shouldn't be like this.

Sorry if you fucking hate this post, I just felt the need to do a little ranting.
>>
>>323702119
No no, that post was a totally valid opinion.
>>
>>323702119

That's my main problem

They're all price the same but some are clearly offer way more than others and the useless ones are as expensive as those
>>
>>323702119

They may work in more games, but Infinity and Skylanders do it better.

Nintendo simply refuses to release a proper amiibo game, that's all.
>>
>>323702916

Kirby, a miniature piece of plastic costs as much as Bowser who weights a lot and has shit ton of detail.

Quite the logic you got there, Nintendo.
>>
>>323702920
I know people might hate the idea, but if Nintendo tried to do something akin to Infinity and Skylanders, they might have something that could potentially be worth getting a piece of plastic.
>>
>>323703406

They hate the idea now

But when Nintendo rolls it out (and they will) this baord will say how innovative it is and claim how it's GOTY.

Amiibo Festival got trashed because the game itself had absolutely nothing to offer and the only Amiibos that worked are the ones from the AC line. Not to mention the maximum jewing they did for Isabelle and Tom Nook ones.
>>
I love the idea of scanning a little toy and having the character pop up in the game, but the costs are a huge turn off to me. Nintendo's the only one of the three with characters I really care about too, but there's not many games with a strong enough use for them, let alone that are good.

I'm still hoping for an original game like Skylanders but with overtly cute jap designs.
>>
>>323687360
The new Animal Crossing board game nonsense fucked this up. That game is entirely locked content behind amiibos.
>>
>>323687535
Building your own levels - say, with a lego kit - would be pretty neat if it was plausable.
>>
>>323703906

It depends on how good the game is yo. But yeah, Nintendrones will claim the game is innovative.
>>
File: 1437197667942.gif (996KB, 290x231px) Image search: [Google]
1437197667942.gif
996KB, 290x231px
>>323704480
>Buildind a level brick by brick
Sounds awful to be hon-
>That's basically Minecraft
Nevermind, they should go for it.
They could really undercut Mojang.
>>
>>323704789

>That moment when you have to deconstruct the lego

No thanks.
>>
>>323705019

>Lego Dimensions pauses the game to let you build vehicles

That was annoying but thank god you can skip that shit.
>>
File: ZCLU9534ZCZCLU9534ZC.jpg (45KB, 351x400px) Image search: [Google]
ZCLU9534ZCZCLU9534ZC.jpg
45KB, 351x400px
>>323687637
>Are you implying selling levels was ever ok?

Go to bed, underage fag.
>>
>>323693256
The cluster fuck that is the ownership of Pokemon.
>>
>>323704789

Lego Worlds
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.