[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is every fucking game nowadays a follow-the-dotted-line simulator?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

Why is every fucking game nowadays a follow-the-dotted-line simulator?
>>
>>323649515
not sure but ive noticed this lately also with the recent wave of open world games.

Dragons dogma is kind of refreshing though. No dotted lines
>>
Casuals demanded more open worlds while being too stupid to find their own paths.
>>
>>323649807
it literally tells you where to go in DD
>>
File: 25.jpg (70KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
70KB, 400x388px
>a linear experience that is tightly-designed with content is bad

>an empty sandbox game with content spread too thin is good

God bless, videogames
>>
>>323649817
Casuals demand more open worlds while devs fail to make environments and settings that draw you into exploring them.

The 'dotted line' is to keep people interested by making it all goal driven, whilst keeping the goal simple and easy enough to follow without the player losing interest.
>>
>>323649515
well, witcher 3 gets a pass because everything around following the dot is well done and interesting.
>>
>>323649898
no lines though
fuck dotted lines
>>
What were some less popular but still good games of 2015? I'm playing LISA the Painful atm
>>
>>323650109
>this is what Witcherfags actually believe
>>
File: 2spooky.gif (3MB, 230x173px) Image search: [Google]
2spooky.gif
3MB, 230x173px
>>323649515
Because games have over-inflated budgets

As a result, they need to appeal to more people to make the money back. The easiest way to do that is to design games for the lowest common denominator (see: casuals). To do this, big name developers find the most popular systems in games (crafting, open-world, etc) and mush them together to create a product that has the highest likelihood to produce a profit. This is why so many games nowadays feel the same in a way. At least, the games from big name developers.

Unfortunately, because the developer bigwigs are doing this, smaller companies, indie devs and the like, tend to follow suit in hope of making a profit as well.

Basically, simplifying games for the sake of maximum profit has destroyed creativity in big name studios, and smaller companies are following suit because "muh money".
>>
>>323650092

Which is why "make everything open world" is a stupid fad that needed to die the fuck off years ago.
>>
>>323649515
>not turning off the dotted lines
>not playing with settings to customize the game to your liking like any experienced vidya player would do

Spoken like a true pleb, OP.
>>
>>323650145
>less popular but still good

/v/
>>
>>323649515
Because they're not games anymore, they're "cinematic experiences". Which necessarily are going to hold the players hand all the way through.
>>
>>323650916
forgive me its 3 am, I meant something like a hidden gem
>>
Quest markers are the laziest shit. At least give the player enough information so they can set the markers themselves, don't just do it automatically for them. It cheapens the experience.
>>
>>323650848
He should be playing in a console
>>
>>323651301
You mean, like Morrowind does?
>>
>>323650067
Lets compare Dark Messiah (A linear game) to Skyrim.

Dark Messiah has:

>Better combat
>Better story
>Better characters
>Better level design
>Better talent system
>Better traps
>Better crafting
>Better spells
>Better spell casting
>Better UI
>Better stealth
>Better varied locations
>Better sword fights
>Better interactive environments
>Better boss battles
>Better items with interesting properties/stats
>Better enemy AI
>Better enemy mechanics
>Better platforming
>Better secret areas
>Better puzzles

Instead of 1 epic quest with all the above, open world games have hundreds of absolutely garbage quests that fail all ALL the above points.
>>
Watch this video, it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzOCkXsyIqo
>>
The industry follows trends. Eight years ago it was linear brown n' bloom shooters. Now it's shitty open world games that waste your time which makes them good in the minds of plebs.
>>
File: Bloodborne.jpg (259KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne.jpg
259KB, 1280x720px
The cure for your ails, OP.
>>
>>323649515
You can turn it off. People give you directions in Witcher 3 unlike some other games.
>>
>>323652207
This
Overall Souls games is the best thing that happened to this indistry in the past 10 years along with XCom
>>
File: 15_fourteen03.jpg (82KB, 851x437px) Image search: [Google]
15_fourteen03.jpg
82KB, 851x437px
>>323649515
They aren't, you're just playing RPGs.
>>
>>323650145
>>323651131
Technobabylon, Invisible, Inc., and maybe Huniepop are all smaller games that are worth playing.
>>
File: COTN.jpg (50KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
COTN.jpg
50KB, 460x215px
>>323654582
>you're just playing RPGs.
This. I hate it when RPGfags ignore the existence of other genres when they talk about games. Games are making strides in so many other genres, but just because obnoxious RPGfags don't play anything else, they think gaming is going down the tubes. Just because overhyped RPGs like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 turn out to be shit doesn't mean gaming is over.
>>
>>323649515
Because in other games you just follow a one way corridor instead.
At least following a monster blood trait makes more sense and require more input.
>>
>>323652207
>holding the run button until you find the next lamp - the game
This game makes Fallout 4 looks like a masterpiece.
>>
File: 00004.jpg (234KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
00004.jpg
234KB, 1920x1080px
>>323649515
>>323649817
Because game design is hard. Especially with hundreds of thousands of people intentionally trying to break it.
>>
>>323654210
If you're an easily satisfied casual baby who likes dumb down action game.
>>
>>323649515
This is why i hated tw3 so much :
They made a beautiful open world but spoiled it because of the gameplay and the quest design :There's absolutely no reward with exploration.
And by doing the quest you're just following the line and not giving attention to the world.
Dude i almost miss the shitty map in tw2 because it was hard to figure out exactly where the objective was.
>>
>>323650214

>Non-witcher fags don't believe this

Your loss negro.
>>
>>323655126
>No reward for exploration
>Literally XP rewards and random monsters while exploring
>>
>>323655126
>There's absolutely no reward with exploration.
This is completely wrong.
I like to travel by horse instead of fast travel because every time I need to go from A to B, I always ended do spending hours doing things I come across in-between.
>>
>>323649515
So the casual who used to playing linear games like Dark Souls can enjoy this game as well.
>>
>>323649515
>Take this quest and travel to the other side of the world somewhere in some forest
>Have to spend 2 hours searching the forest
>/v/ thinks this is good game design
>>
>>323650067
"Linear experiences" tend to suck dude. It's games that have a somewhat open approach to them, but are still very deliberate in their design and constraints that are the best.
>>
>>323652207
>literally notes on the ground that tell you what to do

PFFFFT
>>
>>323652048

>Thats what nostalgiafags really believe

Upvoted my epic friend :^)
>>
>>323650848
>Games so poorly designed, generic and sloppy that you can just alter variables relating to game structure and expect a better experience.

I love how PC cucks are so tolerant of this.
>>
>>323655996
wut ?
>>
>>323652048
You forgot better multiplayer, anon.
>>
>>323649515
Where do you get that armor?
>>
>>323657524
its ursine bear armor you peasant
>>
So I pirated patch 1.01 like 7 months ago, how do I go about updating this?
Do I go right to 1.10 or each patch individually?
>>
Multiple paths than unlock certain bits of the world, but you don't have to go down all of them to beat the main game are the best I think.
>>
>>323656079
obviously you haven't played the game. I think skyrim is okay, but I just started playing dark messiah for the first time earlier this week. It blew me out of the water. Shit is actually tense, sneaking works well, the atmosphere is incredible, every area is unique because they don't have to create 500 million samey areas. Oh yeah, and you can FUCKING SEE YOUR BODY. After playing this and seeing how well it was implemented in a 2006 game made on another company's engine, I'm honestly fucking disgusted that this isn't an industry wide design. Seriously, what the fuck. Its such a simple thing, to leave out a body in 1st person is just fucking lazy. I'm so sick of just being a floating camera with arms sticking out of it
>>
>>323650109
Quest tracking and the minimap is the biggest most glaring flaw in the witcher 3 and barely any "critics" noticed it. Of course it was the RPG codex review that brought the issue to my attention.
>>
>>323658398
I really love Dark messiah. Always make one playthrough each year.

It's kinda sad that those games doesn't really exist with that kind of combat,map/level design and kicks
>>
>>323655331
Shh, don't feed the fast traveler faggots in this thread.
>>
>>323659139
Its kind of late, so forgive me:
>It's kinda sad that those games don't really exist with that kind of combat, map/level design and kicks
but... they do exist? I am just not reading it right or something. Anyway, yeah, its pretty fucking amazing. Its one of those games that gets so much right, and you can really see how much they loved their game and tried hard to put a bunch of nice little details into it. I can't get over the 1st person body model. Its such a small little thing, but it adds so, so much to the game for me.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.