[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing this for the first time, any tips? Character builds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: Baldurs-Gate-Front-Cover-11579.jpg (32KB, 405x400px) Image search: [Google]
Baldurs-Gate-Front-Cover-11579.jpg
32KB, 405x400px
Playing this for the first time, any tips? Character builds stuff like that.
>>
>>323474908
Human Warrior with 18 STR
That's the "canon" way to play, in the Baldur's Gate books the protagonist is a really strong human warrior named Abdel.
>>
>>323475737
Didn't everyone say the books were trash though?
I do like a more fighter role though so I may be going with that.
>>
>>323476006
You'll have other companions anyway to fill other roles, if you are familiar with D&D you won't "discover" anything anyway.
>>
I've been meaning to play this for a while. Should i get Enhanced Edition or the original version?
>>
>>323476672
on this note, is baldurs gate one essential to play before baldurs gate 2 or can you just get the synopsis online and that will suffice for baldurs gate 2?
>>
>>323476857
You would want to play the original first(doesnt matter between enhanced really), some party members cross over and you would want them to have the skills you picked.
>>
>>323474908
This should be a /vr/ thread but oh well.
>>323476672
The plus side is you don't bother with tweaking the game for bug-fix ui stuff. Downside is that Enchanced still has bugs, they patch it really slowly. I play Enhanced myself, because I'm a lazy fuck.

>>323476857
No, but it helps, you know the backstory, who you are, your old companions etc

but BG2 grants you the dialogue option of losing your memory, so you can roleplay how you forgot everything, and other characters act accordingly and explain you stuff.

More than plot the style of game is more crucial, BG1 differs quite a bit from BG2 which is more linear and a more high level adventure.
>>
>>323474908
Play as a magic user for maximum OP. Play carefully because BG is a low level D&D campaign, when characters are at their weakest. Take advantage of everything you acquire, every potion, scroll, and wand. There's no reason to hoard them because you'll get plenty. You may also want to rely on ranged weapons in the beginning so you don't get hit that much.
>>
>>323477441
This, you go from running from rats to killing dragons. It feels good.
>>
>>323476672
if you play the original version then get tutu mod or equal
when I tried a pirated beamdog edition it bugged and crashed on me constantly, and when I imported my monk to bg2 it fucked up my stats
>>
>>323477247
>don't bother with tweaking the game for bug-fix ui stuff
I dont really mind spending some time fixing stuff before i play. I was just wondering if there are any negative things about the EE that make it not worth playing. I know the Icewind Dale EE included a bunch of overpowered armour from BG2:EE, so i didnt bother playing that.
>>
>>323476672
get the original since enhanced is not compatible with https://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom
there were plans to ad icewind dale as well but the hacker behind it disappeared from the face of the planet just before enhanced was released
>>
>>323474908
If you're playing enhanced edition than the only answer is Fighter Berserker kit.

They are the most powerful class.

The problem with Baldurs gate is it's game over when your main dies, not your party. So don't try to dick around with lesser classes.
>>
>>323477784
That looks great, thanks anon.
>>
>>323477441
you're contradicting yourself. magic is shit at low levels and doesn't become op until you get wish cheesing which you can't do until late in the second game. at low levels fighters are way better because of higher hit dice and better gear making a big difference.
>>
>>323476857
I never played BG1 and the only thing I'm assumed to know is who is my father and some random NPCs
>>
>>323474908

How i envy you , what wouldn t i give for being able to play all these as if i had never played them before.
>>
>>323478270
>magic is shit at low levels
>color spray
>>
>>323477441
Just make sure it's a Wizard or subclass of Wizard.

You can't correct mistakes on a Sorcerer, and if it's your first playthrough then you will pick 90% of the wrong spells.
>>
>>323478560
>once per day
>>
>>323478270

Magic is only shit if you're trying to be L33T DEEPEE ESS at low level. Utility spells like sleep and buffs can easily turn unwinnable fights into manageable ones. When you get shit like Skull Trap and Cloudkill is when you start murdering.
>>
>>323476857
Why does "not essential" = "just skip it LOL" nowadays? It's a fucking game, an enjoyable one. Why the fuck would you skip it?
>>
>>323474908
Get this when you're starting BG2: http://imoen.blindmonkey.org/downloads.php

Imoen's dialogue was sadly cut short in BG2 because she was initially going to die
>>
>>323479696

Because low level dnd games are suffering and BG2 is better written
>>
>>323480049
The point of the rpg is the story.

Do you open books halfway through and start reading from there?
>>
>>323479242
the balance between fighters and wizards works like this:

player fighters are usually stronger than npc fighters because of better stats and gear. npc wizards are usually stronger than player wizards because they can use all of their spells in one encounter while the player has to try to conserve some. in any given encounter the difficulty is mostly based around how strong the enemy wizard characters are.

this dynamic doesn't change until you get the wish spell which lets you recover your magic at any time, and even then scrolls of magic resist are basically "win the encounter for free" cards.
>>
>>323480049
I thought BG1's narrative was better senpai.

Throne of Bhaal is obviously the best though.
>>
>>323480912
in all fairness BG1 is pretty hard to approach if you dont already have a grasp on 2e rules, and even if you do it hasnt aged super well.

Dont get me wrong, i played the shit out of it when i was a kid and still adore it to this day, but without that background and nostalgia its a tough sell.

BG2 on the other hand has aged like fine wine and is much more approachable.
>>
>>323481465
Agreed.

But without progressing from dying to rats to murdering demons I don't see the point.
>>
>>323480001
Download doesn't work.
>>
>>323481781
Try this: http://www.blindmonkey.org/imoen/files/Imoen%20Romance.rar

Seems like them mixed up rar with zip
>>
>>323482158
Thanks. It directed me to the rar file but it just wouldn't download.
>>
I don't know why people are mentioning the Enhanced Edition being bugged or crashing frequently. I run it fine and I even have a couple of mods installed, such as BG2 Tweaks, Ascension and Flirtpack. No issues whatsoever.

I'm running a Kensai Halberdier and I'm having a blast. The Ascension Bhaalspawn fights are hard as fuck though.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.