[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>first FPS with true 3D graphics >first deathmatch over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Doom_cover_art.jpg (38KB, 256x380px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_cover_art.jpg
38KB, 256x380px
>first FPS with true 3D graphics
>first deathmatch over modem
>first game with a modding community
>first game to be speedrun

Is there anything Doom can't do?
>>
You are wrong on so many levels...
>>
Be good.
>>
>Is there anything Doom can't do?

Be a good and enjoyable game.
>>
>>323428934
Again
>>
>>323428738
It can't do fully destructible environments unfortunately.
>>
>true 3D
Well that's debatable
>>
>>323428738
quake was first true 3d game and it was marketed as such by carmack himself
>>
>>323428738
Those four are all false, but Doom is still one of the best games ever made so far.
>>
>>323430373
What is descent?
>>
>>323428738
>first FPS with true 3D graphics
Descent
But all other things are true.
>Is there anything Doom can't do?
Get a good successor today.
>>
Good co-op wads?
Any good randimizer wads? Like Aeons of Death but less buggy.
>>
File: a face.jpg (36KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
a face.jpg
36KB, 640x360px
>those doom 4 threads
>everyone blaming consoles
>>
>>323428738
Be as good as Duke Nukem 3d.
>>
>>323433717
el oh el
>>
>>323433717
Game is shit m8.
>>
>>323428738
receive a good sequel
>>
File: hWhY-AqnUDXX.878x0.Z-Z96KYq[1].jpg (70KB, 610x399px) Image search: [Google]
hWhY-AqnUDXX.878x0.Z-Z96KYq[1].jpg
70KB, 610x399px
>>323428738
Ultima Underworld came out before Wolfenstein 3D and I don't know much about what's meant by "true 3d" but to my knowledge it was "truer" 3d than DOOM, like you could jump and shit.
I guess it's not a shooter but it's worth checking out.
>>
>>323435302
>implying casuals on /v/ play Ultima
>>
>no mercy button
>>
>>323430989
a mediocre horror movie about spelunking?
>>
>>323435302
It's pretty cool
>Ultima Underworld's game engine was written by a small team.[5][11][12] Chris Green provided the game's texture mapping algorithm,[21] which was applied to walls, floors and ceilings. The engine allowed for transparencies, walls at 45 degree angles, multiple tile heights and inclined surfaces, and other aspects.[5][11] Ultima Underworld was the first video game to implement many of these effects.[27] The game was also the first indoor, real-time, 3D first-person game to allow the player to look up and down, and to jump.[11]

>Ultima Underworld uses two-dimensional sprites for characters,[2] but also features 3D objects, as the team believed that it "had to do 3D objects in order to have reasonable visuals".[11] The game uses physics to calculate the motion of thrown objects.[6][8] During the game's alpha testing phase, part of the programming team worked to create a smooth lighting model.[5] The game's advanced technology caused the engine to run slowly,[11] and its system requirements were extremely high.[2][4][15] Doug Church later downplayed the importance of the game's technology, stating that technological advancement "is somewhat inevitable in our field ... [and] sadly, as an industry we seem to know much less about design, and how to continue to extend and grow design capabilities". Instead, he claimed that Ultima Underworld's most important achievement was its incorporation of simulation elements into a role-playing game.[11]
>>
Is there a modern equivalent to the build engine?
>>
>>323437441
valve editor?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.