[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we get a 3D Platformer thread going? What do you think about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 44

Can we get a 3D Platformer thread going?

What do you think about A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee?

What's your favorite?

Mine's pic related
>>
>>323427758
I don't have much fate in A hat in time, looks amateurish. Yooka-Laylee I look forward to though, but we haven't seen anything besides pre-alpha game play and concept art.
>>
File: dk64swing[1].jpg (111KB, 620x540px) Image search: [Google]
dk64swing[1].jpg
111KB, 620x540px
A Hat in Time looks okay from what I've seen, which isn't much since I'm trying to stay as blind as possible on it so it's a fresh new experience when I do play it. The animations and movement look really cheap though.

We've barely seen anything from Yooka-Laylee, and I prefer it that way. Although a lot of people are wary of them using Kickstarter to fund it, I'm pretty confident the game will be good, since the guys behind it have plenty of experience.

As for my favorite, I'm torn between Banjo-Kazooie and DK64, probably leaning toward the latter.
>>
>>323427758

I had fun with the hat in time beta, but I remember some announcement they had about how some of the later levels will not have separate acts and will be just linear one time levels. I don't remember if this is true or where I heard it, but a lot of the hype has died for me.

Also the red spheres that you collect in the level don't seem to do anything (I think they heal you?) so there's literally no incentive to collect collectibles. There are lots of things to collect (the pieces of paper that open the safes) but again, there is literally no reason to collect anything because nothing does anything.

I wrote a short essay about how the player needs a reason to collect things on the feedback forums, but was mostly ignored.
>>
>>323428459
I don't know anything about the game, but I bet the collectibles don't do anything just because it's a beta.
>>
Man I can't believe this year will be 18 years since I bought Banjo Kazooie, still my favorite after all these years.
>>
>>323428353
What is it about DK64 that you prefer over BK? Is it the different playable characters, and that you don't mind all the collecting
>>
When is A Hat In Time going to be released, or have they still not said a date?
>>
>>323428690
I actually love all the collecting. It is a collectathon after all.
I think it's just all the stuff you can do, and how the levels feel jam-packed with content. I also really love the atmosphere and music.
But like I said, Banjo is a close second.
>>
>>323428940
What's your opinion on Banjo Tooie? It's kind of like a the middle of the road between BK and DK64, like it has the BK stuff mixed with the enormous levels and varied game play of DK64.
>>
>>323427758

>What do you think about A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee?

Both honestly look kinda ordinary, from a control/camera/mechanics stand point i've seen far more interesting and solid platformers come out of 48 hour game jams and student projects.

Yooka-Layylee in particular worries me, there's just nothing that stands out about it, environments look bad to the point of they may as well be procedurally generated, characters are extremely boring and what little gameplay we've seen looks clunky, kinda scary given the pedigree of it's creators.

As much as i'd love to see a resurgence of my all time favourite genre, I doubt we will. No one is attempting anything new, everything feels forced, contrived and derivative for the sake of nostalgia.

As much as I loathe Schafer and Double Fine, i'd honestly say Psychonauts 2 is our best bet a solid new 3D platformer.
>>
>>323429185
I actually don't like it nearly as much as either. I still like it, just not as much.The levels feel empty to me, like they're huge but have nothing going on for long stretches of land. I especially hate that they reduced the note collecting, since it would have made it a lot better in my opinion if there was stuff to collect while you're walking around.
>>
>>323429224
>Yooka-Layylee in particular worries me, there's just nothing that stands out about it, environments look bad to the point of they may as well be procedurally generated, characters are extremely boring and what little gameplay we've seen looks clunky, kinda scary given the pedigree of it's creators.

It's almost like it was a pre-alpha demo of a game that has just barely started production.
>>
>>323429462
I see. I agree that it does feel very empty at times. I feel that DK64 handled that better, the areas always has a purpose while in BT there are a lot of just walking from Point A to Point B with just a couple of enemies in the way.
>>
>>323429224
Like the other anon said, the game play is from a prototype build, the finished game will very much likely look and feel better.

I wonder WHEN Yooka-Laylee will be released though. I guess 2017 would be reasonable.
>>
>>323427758
>A Hat in Time
Looks cute and fun, call me when it's done.

>Yooka-Laylee
I can't wait to play it!

My favorite still is Mario 64.
>>
>>323429791
Did you only play R&C1? Because I feel that all the first installments in Playstation Platformers Trilogies (Crash, Spyro, Sly etc) don't hold up as good as the sequels.
>>
>>323429791
I've never played any R&C games, and I've only just recently played Jak1, and it was the most pure fun I've had with a game since the N64 era 3D platformers. I highly suggest you pick it up. I heard that the later games were more action focused to I haven't bothered to play those yet.
>>
>>323430083
>>323430150
Woops didn't expect replies so quickly.

I just made a new thread. sorry bout that.
>>323430438
>>
>>323430083
Really? I've heard the opposite. I've played the first ratchet game and almost died of boredom. The characters are great but the gameplay is too repetitive for me.

>>323430150
I've heard people compare the first Jak and Daxter to banjo Kazooie before.
>>
File: Croc_2.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Croc_2.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
I've only played the first one many years ago, how does it compare?
Better/Worse?
>>
Why do 3D platformers have to be cartoony and unoriginal? Most 3D platformers rip off banjo kazooie, DK64 and Mario 64. Why can't we get a 3D platformer that takes after Castlevania?
>>
>>323431550
Do you mean artstyle or gameplay-wise? Wasn't Shadow Man a darker 3D platformer, and Soul Reaver?
>>
>>323427758
suck my dick you fucking faggot nigger
>>
>>323432032
k
>>
>>323427758
WHY IS THE ENGINE ROOM OF RUSTY BUCKET BAY SO FUCKING ATROCIOUSLY DIFFICULT
>>
>>323432774
Timed, tricky platforming, and if you mess up it's instant death.

Seriously, everywhere else in the game if you mess up a jump you can save yourself in some way, like fluttering to reduce fall damage.

Plus, the way the level's layed out, you're likely to go there near the end, and if you mess up you have to start all over collecting notes.
>>
File: rayman_2_the_great_escape.jpg (26KB, 400x260px) Image search: [Google]
rayman_2_the_great_escape.jpg
26KB, 400x260px
>>323427758
Man I still havnt touched Banjo-tooie to this day
>>
>>323434218
Wouldn't it be better to start first at the engine room to get the jiggies and then move on to the rest of the stage?
>>
>>323434730
Yes, unless you're confident that you can do it in one try or don't know it's coming.
When I said you're likely to go there last, I meant if you don't already know to go there first.
>>
>>323427758
Just your threadly reminder that Banjo Kazooie romhacks now exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeSEDJTEdlI
>>
>>323435209
Have you tried it?
>>
>>323435549
Tried what? The hack? Yeah.
>>
>>323435642
How is it? Does it feel like a expansion to BK, or how would you describe it?
>>
A Hat in Time looks cute but everything I've seen of it seems like a really uninspired pastiche of SM64/Sunshine, Banjo, and the Wind Waker.
>>
>>323435792
I think it's pretty great. The levels are not huge, and due to the limitations of hacks for Banjo Kazooie at the minute it relies on you collecting 25 notes in a level instead of Jiggies (since there are no jiggy pictures yet), this means you have to backtrack to prior levels on occasion and collect all your notes again. This is made less awful because you gradually get more and more moves over the course of the hack making it easier to move around the worlds. New areas branching off each world's hub mean there is actually an incentive to return.

The soundtrack is great, the guy seems to have caught the Grant Kirkhope spirit very well.

It's only got a hub and 4 worlds at the minute, but each one is pretty great so far (the first one isn't quite as good as the other three though so don't let it stop you from progressing).

It's something you should try out, you have to go on the Banjos Backpack website and figure out how to patch a BK rom with the Banjo Dreamie patch which might take 5 minutes.
>>
>>323436254
Oh wow that sounds way better than I expected, thanks for recommending it! I'll definitely check it out!
>>
>>323431437
From what I remember, the gameplay was a lot better.

>>323431550
You mean Tomb Raider or Uncharted?
>>
>>323436613
Does it play better or are the level design just better suited for the tank-controls than the first game?
>>
File: 1441430847386.png (118KB, 901x766px) Image search: [Google]
1441430847386.png
118KB, 901x766px
>mfw playing Banjo Tooie for the first time
I remember renting it out, getting pretty excited and then not even wanting to finish it.
>>
>>323436821
It was smoother to control.
>>
>>323436826
You don't like it?
>>
>>323431550
Sonic games used to be cartoony, realistic, AND original all at the same time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXMRkPfHV9k
>>
>>323437169
Oh, well then, I'll check it out then, because the controls were my biggest complaint in the first game.
>>
Never been a fan of 3d platformers, which is funny since 2d platformers are my favorite genre.

I think it's the unresponsive controls when compared to 2d that puts me off, i have a hard time for 2d platformers with unresponsive controls too such as that Bloodrayne game by Wayforward.

That said i will try A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee, maybe it was just a framerate issue with the N64, i know a shitty framerate makes shit unresponsive.
>>
>>323437173
I really don't. I can't recollect much, but the backtracking was probably the biggest problem. I liked each world in BK basically being self contained with the exception of Gobi's Valley and Freezeezy Peak I think (technically Bubblegloop Swamp required the speed shoes but you could get that jiggy without them). Multiplayer was about the only thing I liked and even then I enjoyed Perfect Dark more.
>>
>>323437490
The Playstation plattformers always had good framerate iirc, so maybe try those instead? Some anon earlier in the thread said Jak & Daxter was nice, so try that.
>>
>>323437693
Fair enough. The size of the worlds are definitely a problem, combine big but empty worlds with backtracking, and it gets more annoying than fun.
>>
File: DonkeyKong64CoverArt[1].jpg (30KB, 382x260px) Image search: [Google]
DonkeyKong64CoverArt[1].jpg
30KB, 382x260px
Donkey Kong 64 was the pinnacle of 3D platformers. It was like Banjo-Kazooie was the amazing beta version, and DK64 was the polished release. Truly Rare's masterpiece.
>>
I love Psychonauts and I'm excited that a sequel may actually come out for it. I know how people haven't been very fond of Double Fine lately, but I don't give a shit. I just want a motherfucking sequel. I'd put up with a dozen Broken Ages if it meant Psychonauts 2 would come out.
>>
>>323437989
No. This game is an example of style over gameplay. They had absolutely no fucking idea what they were doing when they came up with it. It almost single handedly knee-capped the collectathon.
>>
>>323437693
I feel the same way. I loved how each world was just it's own thing and you could just go in, get everything, and get out.

Bubblegloop Swamp doesn't need the speedy shoes at all, they're just there to make the minigame easier if you can't git gud.

They actually changed it so you need them to beat it in the Xbox 360 port though. Although if you're REALLY good you could probably beat it without them.
>>
File: Rayman_3[1].jpg (43KB, 256x317px) Image search: [Google]
Rayman_3[1].jpg
43KB, 256x317px
>>323434419
That's not Rayman 3.

Also, WHERE IS MY FUCKING SEQUEL, UBISHIT?
>>
>>323437989
No, it wasn't. Having to backtrack to a barrel to change Kongs every 5 minutes sucked. And don't get me started on all those horrible minigames.
>>
>>323427758
I always miss a couple notes in Click Clock Woods and have to spend an extra hour going back through the seasons to find them. Comfy level, but it can go fuck itself sometimes
>>
>>323438057
I disagree. I think it's the best out of Rare's collectathons.
>>
>>323438107
No more Rayman.

You get Rabbids. Rabbids for the rest of your life.
>>
>>323438101
>They actually changed it so you need them to beat it in the Xbox 360 port though. Although if you're REALLY good you could probably beat it without them.
Did they? Not to toot my own horn but I didn't have too much trouble doing it, but then again I have played the game to death. Gonna have to look up version differences now, not sure why I haven't before.
>>
>3D platformers are literally my favorite genre
>there completely dead

WHY
>>
>>323438057
DK64 has the most variance of gameplay of any collectathon, nice to see /v/ devolving another simple term into a buzzword though
>>
>>323438290
Open world games with literally nothing but fetch quests are easier to design/progam
>>
>>323437490
Play Rayman 2 and 3 you fucking nignog.
>>
File: 1446013082996.jpg (15KB, 320x425px) Image search: [Google]
1446013082996.jpg
15KB, 320x425px
>>323438160
>tfw falling down the tree with 96 notes
>>
>>323438290
>completely dead
>A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee
>Most likely Super Mario NX
You what, mate?
>>
I don't feel like collectathons should be synonymous with 3D platformers.
>>
>>323438265
Congrats, I spent a couple hours trying to do it and I never had any trouble on the original. Thought I was crazy until I looked it up and saw that they actually made you slow down when you bite.
>>
>>323438446
>no rayman 4
>no banjo threeie

And instead we get 900 Asscreed games. There isn't a single company in the industry I despise more than Ubishit.
>>
File: image.jpg (212KB, 250x353px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212KB, 250x353px
Hat in Time has potential but it's really taking its fucking time

Yooka Laylee is being made by a team who already made games in the past, so I'm excited, though hopefully they make the setting look less generic, the lighting effect of the first grass area bothers me

I really fucking love 3D World, the creativity in level design and the more smoother level design for real Platforming and not obstruction gimmicks makes it feel nice

Galaxy still had more higher quality and they still need to work on backgrounds not being empty spaces but the Platforming itself is fucking perfect
>>
>>323438364
I did, it was alright but not enough for me to bother finishing it. The same goes for games like Mario Galaxy, they're just so... boring? I guess i rather get to places than collect shit.
>>
>>323437989
this game had really good aesthetics and sound design
>>
>>323438485
>Thought I was crazy until I looked it up and saw that they actually made you slow down when you bite.
That's bizarre. Props to them making alterations I suppose? Wish they would've fixed Mr Vile knowing where the correct yumblies/grumblies would pop up before they did but I guess that would ruin most of the difficulty.
>>
>>323438582
The post-endgame levels were fucking great.
>>
>>323427758
>A Hat in Time
Unfortunately it will be a mess.
>that fps
>>
>>323438615
3D Rayman games are not a collectathon. Are you high?
>>
>>323438446

That reminds me

It's been 3 years

We should be expecting a new 3D Mario, the best case scenario would be as a NX launch title which will be fucking perfect

I wonder what it'll be

3D World lacked the special high quality touch of the Galaxy games but it was still fucking excellent in being a 3D Platformer I honestly prefer a progression of that style over a galaxy 3
>>
>>323438809
Don't you collect yellow fairies or something?
>>
>>323438150
There were teleporters and barrels fucking everywhere, if you want a linear game where all you do is walk then go back to Crash Bandicoot
>>
>>323438582

>The lighting effect of the grass area really bothers me

Welcome to Unity
>>
>>323438582
I also love SM3DW, but I wish half the levels weren't floating platforms over a void. I want more levels like Sunshine where it's actually a world where people could live in, but there's still plenty of platforming to do.
>>
>>323438101
Apart from Freezeezy Peak and Gobi's Valley, you need Beak Bomb for Gobi's Valley, and running shoes for Freezeezy Peak
>>
>>323438870
I don't recall collecting Lums to be a requirement for anything in Rayman 2, but it's been 6 years since I last played that game. Also 90% of them are played directly in your way and the levels are extremely linear.
>>
>>323438920
That's just the default shader, same reason UE3 games look like fucking plastic. I really hope they change it.
>>
>>323438582
I never played 3D World due chiefly to not wanting to spend money on a WiiU but does it do that thing where if you die x amount of times in a row on a stage, the stars on your profile don't shine? Assuming it still has them
>>
>>323438974
Yeah, the post I replied to said that.
Personally, I always go Freezeezy Peak first since you can do everything except the last sled race.

>>323439086
That only ever happens if you actually use the Super Guide, and you can fix it by going back and completing the level yourself. This is for all of the Mario games that have it.
>>
>>323438823
Well, they need to bring out their big guns for the NX, and given the time that has passed since 3D World, I say it has to be a launch title indeed. I too want something original, though I'd be ok with a Galaxy 3.
>>
File: 1451880643838.gif (2MB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
1451880643838.gif
2MB, 330x330px
>>323439227
>This is for all of the Mario games that have it.
I have been deluded all this time
>>323439275
Did you say NSMBnx?
>>
>>323439354
>NSMBnx
The saddest part is that the "New" games sell better than the 3D ones.
>>
>>323439227
Yeah, there are notes inside the beakbomb temple, plus you get to Freezeezy Peak before you even get to the picture frame for Gobi's Valley
>>
>>323439881
Freezeezy Peak also shows up first in the list on the pause screen.
>>
>>323438582
3D World is more of a 2.5D platformer though, I mean it's just regular 2D Mario levels but with a third dimension. The moveset is extremely limited compared to the other 3D Mario games.
>>
>>323440154
I call them isometric Marios.
>>
File: 1401374857247.jpg (10KB, 177x200px) Image search: [Google]
1401374857247.jpg
10KB, 177x200px
>mfw I'm playing BK for the first time thanks to Rare Replay
>that exploration
>that soundtrack
>those surprisingly decent graphics
>that overall feeling

I only wished the camera didn't point down so much. But other than that a 10/10 game, so good.
>>
I wish 3D platformers came back.

I really want a 3D Shantae.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K6bbYWitTE
>>
File: toad.png (55KB, 345x269px) Image search: [Google]
toad.png
55KB, 345x269px
>>323441234
>you will never get to experience joy like this again for the first time
>>
>>323441451
I was 3 when BK came out (and my family only owned a PS1) so I've never played any of Rare's games at all really. I'm going to move onto Perfect Dark afterwards.

Of course it's not the "true" experience due to widescreen, 60fps and HD but it's good enough.
>>
File: tooie.jpg (56KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
tooie.jpg
56KB, 848x480px
>>323441643
>Of course it's not the "true" experience due to widescreen, 60fps and HD but it's good enough.

In my opinion the XBLA versions are the 'truer' experiences, and I say this as someone whose favourite childhood game was Banjo Kazooie. With Tooie the difference between the original N64 version and the port will become stark to you. The original ran at 22 FPS with hiccups at a blurry as fuck 240p with shit textures. The port runs at 1080p widescreen with high resolution textures. The original Tooie was unplayable in certain levels like Terrydactyland, on XBLA its a 10/10 game. I'd say those ports are some of the best things put out on the 360.

The XBLA ports are what the games would have been in a perfect world, where objects don't pop in within 10 metres.
>>
>>323441234
I think if you hold down L or R while running then the camera will stay behind you iirc.
>>
>>323441963
Wow, that looks like shit. I'd love to have been more than a drooling idiot in that era but being able to play the games today in HD with decent framerates is great.

>>323441997
What would that be on an Xbone controller? Is it just the duck button?
>>
>>323441963
Any chance they'll release that on PC?
>>
>>323442183
They already have, it's called Project 64.
>>
>>323442152
Not the duck button, but it may be the buttons above R/LT
>>
File: FEELSINTHERAIN.gif (233KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
FEELSINTHERAIN.gif
233KB, 500x275px
>>323441643

I was just about to call you underage, but then i did the math

holy shit i'm getting old
>>
>>323434419
this, PC edition is superior though

>>323438229
not according to Ubisoft worker Sam from yesterday
he said that Rayman is going open world maybe
>>
>>323441963
>unplayable
Again with this word
>>
>>323442330
Alright, I'll try it out. If it works then sweet, only criticism alleviated somewhat.
>>
>>323442183
I don't think so. I wish it'd happen.

>>323442263
Nintendo 64 emulation is pretty atrocious, but bearable. Kazooie does look ten times better at 1024x768, that's for sure.

>>323442408
I don't know about you, but I can't go back to the disgusting frame drops on the original N64 for certain 2000-2001 games. 60 FPS is much nicer.
>>
>>323442263
I don't have the time to be tinkering with that crap.

>>323442528
I'm not gonna buy a Bone for 2 games, so I'll keep on waiting.
>>
>>323442608
>Bone

I didn't say that, I was talking about the 360.

I'm not fucktarded enough to buy a Bone.
>>
>>323442528
>60 FPS is much nicer.
It is. Not disputing that. But the way kids throw that word around drives me crazy.
>>
>>323428459
all chapters will have open places to explore iirc
the beta was fun, even if the devs are amateur modders
>>
>>323442692
>>323442608
I got the Bone for Christmas (didn't ask for it but Rare Replay and Forza Horizon 2 are great anyway). The RR version is literally just the X360 version emulated with the exact same controller prompts.
>>
File: banjo-tooie-witchyworld.jpg (523KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
banjo-tooie-witchyworld.jpg
523KB, 1280x720px
>>323442920
I'm no goon, this is 4chan. Hyperbole runs supreme here.
>>
File: HighresScreenshot00001.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HighresScreenshot00001.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
i started making one about a week ago. wht do you guys think of the style so far?
>>
File: 1349230747090.gif (1MB, 260x187px) Image search: [Google]
1349230747090.gif
1MB, 260x187px
>In Banjo-Kazooie, if you hold down the R button while turning underwater or while flying, you'll turn sharply
>>
>>323443901
Looks like it could potentially be interesting, but only if the gameplay is good.
>>
>>323443961
WHAT
>>
File: 1445203400380.jpg (230KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1445203400380.jpg
230KB, 1280x960px
>>323427758
why was tooie so much less fun than kazooie?
>>
File: 1403395013548.gif (74KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1403395013548.gif
74KB, 400x400px
>>323445058
Because bigger =/= better.
As a sequel, it does it's job right. It takes the previous game, and build upon it.
There is just so much more of everything, like moves, transformations, characters, modes etc.
But with all the new stuff, the game looses its focus. BK was smaller in every sense, but more compact. Everything was there for a reason, no area left unfinished Stop-N-Swop not included, of coarse.
It's not bad, hell you could even argue it's better than BK in a way, but making it less linear means longer pauses between the fun stuff.
>>
>>323445058
It took rather simple things and made them unnecessarily different and complex. Backtracking was a much larger thing overall, and going back to the same level over and over to get one or two collectibles but only after getting a new ability that you don't get until much later is reasonably not fun, and can easily kill someones enjoyment. In Banjo-Kazooie, you always felt you were moving forward, going deeper into Grunty's lair, but in Tooie, you were always going back to the same places over and over again, so it felt more like a relatively empty open world with levels scattered around that you could find, but be unable to access until you had a certain number of collectibles.
>>
>>323443901
Could be good anon. The animals look like shit but I assume they're placeholders or something.
>>
>>323443901
Don't be afraid to use strong colors.
If there is one thing that Nintendo still does well is making the world stick out, and not just a replica of the real world. Go crazy, be creative!
>>
>>323443901
Do you have any plans for levels?
Atleast try to have ONE level that's not jungle, lava, water -and desertworld.
>>
File: TRIGGER WARNING.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGER WARNING.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>
>>323447163
yea. there are going to be many different worlds . there will be cool and weird places. Im working on the carnival planet right now
>>
>>323448628
>Im working on the carnival planet right now
Oh, so the different worlds are planets?
That's cool, hope it goes well! I always liked carnival stages.
>>323447740
That and the Pachinko level makes me wonder what the fuck they were thinking sometimes when making Sunshine.
>>
has that yooka laylee toybox thing launched?
>>
>>323449336
The what now?
>>
>>323449336
>At the time of our campaign we were confident we could meet this deadline, but due to several circumstances – including external factors making our initial plans for a web-based player impractical – the Toybox has taken longer than expected to create.

>Just like everything we do, we want the Toybox delivered to backers to be polished, fun and representative of the quality we’re shooting for with the final game – not just a blank box to run around in.

>So now we’re looking to release the Toybox in early 2016. It’s still totally exclusive to Toybox Kickstarter backers and it will still arrive long in advance of the final game.
>>
>>323439495
Because people in general prefer 2D platformers over 3D platformers.
>>
So I just started the Sly collection. Does it get better after two? 1 was meh with such a shitty final boss. 2 was better by miles but it was like 3 levels too long and although the final boss was an improvement, it was still disappointing.
>>
>>323451661
i think 2 is the best honestly. 3 is a little too big for its own good
>>
File: apeescape3snow.jpg (33KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
apeescape3snow.jpg
33KB, 630x354px
Very much looking forward to Yooka Laylee. My favorite 3D platformer is probably pic related. I like a lot though, and Banjo is up there. The Ratchet series is also great.
>>
>>323451661
I can tell you right now I sure hope you like minigames because 3 has a lot of them. From what I remember.
>>
>>323438582
3D world is more arcadey than exploration focused like Sunshine or 64. It's a great game but I don't think it's what we're talking about
>>
>>323427758
A Hat in Time is a shitty unfunny Wind Waker clone made by Mecha the Skank. Yooka-Laylee has a good chance of being good given that it's the original Rare team
>>
>>323452127
I played Ape Escape 1 for the first time this fall.
I had seen it countless times in stores as a kid but never got to play it.
It was pretty damn good, my only complaint was that the spinning for that flying item was really hard to pull off in the race level against your rival.

I want to play another one, but should I skip to 3? I always hear people talk about that one, but never 2. Is 2 not as good?
>>
>>323455201
I loved 2 but it's been years so I don't know if that's nostalgia talking
>>
File: 1234554758.jpg (59KB, 494x500px) Image search: [Google]
1234554758.jpg
59KB, 494x500px
Remember me /v/?
>>
>>323428187
>fate
>>
>>323455804
I played the shit out of the demo. My parents wouldn't let me buy it though because it had "Devil" in the title.
>>
Anyone here play FreezeMe?

It looks like they just took that Mario Unity Engine and replaced Mario with an Asian Dora the Explorer. Also the stages are excessively large.
>>
>>323440154

>Extremely limited

64 and 3D World have the best movement options

You don't need a giant open world to be a 3D Platformer
>>
File: image.png (843KB, 701x896px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
843KB, 701x896px
>>323440154

>It's just regular 2D Mario Levels but with a third dimension

Remember what the best parts of sunshine were? When you were actually Platforming

Remember what Galaxy was? Platforming with dynamic gimmicks and gravity

3D World is perfect Platforming without the bullshit gimmicks just good level design

Aw man I don't have a section that circles the camera aerodynamic for a cinematic experience ITS JUST 2D MARIO IN A THIRD DIMENSION

3D World is the just as much of a 3D Platformer as the other games, don't be a dickhead
>>
>>323455804
Is it good?
>>
>>323457384
What if I like exploring levels and collecting things
>>
>>323452127
I love the Ape Escape series so much
>>
>>323457485
Do you like Spyro and Crash?
>>
>>323427758
>Yooka-Laylee
>Hey guys, we've completed 90% of this game but we know how much you love our work so we're holding it to ransom until you retroactively pay us for all the hard work you never asked us to do. Thanks!!
Fuck crowd funding.
>>
I only got a console towards the end of the 3D platforming Era, but the Jak series was always a favorite of mine. Loved 3 specifically
>>
>>323457540
Then play Mini Ninjas or Legend of Kay. They're surprisingly underrated platformers. There's always a "Go from point A to point B" objective, but the path always branches off and there's tons of stuff to explore.
>>
>>323457763
ye
>>
>>323457953
>Legend of Kay

Shit I thought I was the only one who played that. It was surprisingly good.
>>
>>323457907
>>Hey guys, we've completed 90% of this game but we know how much you love our work so we're holding it to ransom until you retroactively pay us for all the hard work you never asked us to do. Thanks!!
Oh, so you don't know anything about it, gotcha.
>>
>>323457983
Go for it then. Just don't expect it to be as good. It's alright
>>
>>323429882
Pretty sure it's supposed to be coming this November
>>
File: Game.monsteradventure.jpg (34KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Game.monsteradventure.jpg
34KB, 300x300px
>>323458132
Oh.
Speaking of Spyro, any fan of those games REALLY should check out Muppet Monster Adventure. It's really similar graphic-and gameplay-wise, and pretty damn good for a licensed game.
>>
File: 51A0DW85CPL.jpg (54KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
51A0DW85CPL.jpg
54KB, 500x346px
I love this shit
>>
File: Rocket_Robot_on_Wheels_Cover.jpg (69KB, 410x300px) Image search: [Google]
Rocket_Robot_on_Wheels_Cover.jpg
69KB, 410x300px
I miss collectathons
>>
>>323458645
I only played the first one, is it similar?
>>
>>323459330
Pretty much. I think it;s improved but I can't remember
>>
>>323459330
Pretty much the same as the first only difference being he looks more like a lizard than in the first game.
>>
>>323459420
>>323459454
I'm watching gameplay on youtube now, looks pretty fun, I'll add it to my backlog.
>>
File: 52426_front.jpg (102KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
52426_front.jpg
102KB, 640x908px
What genre is this beside Zelda-like?
can we qualify this game as 3D Platformer?
>>
>>323458645
>>323459330
>>323459420
>>323459454
some anon was making a new game, not sure what happened to him, archive isn't turning up anything recent
>>
>>323459851
A new Chameleon Twist? Interesting.
>>
>>323459851
And that game was Yooka Layley
>>
>>323459950
>>323460056
nah man he had webms with it too, drawing out the tongue and such
shame I can't find it, must've been lost in the ~3-month gap
>>
>>323457384
>3-D world
>Without gimmicks
Mate it was pretty fun, in co-op only, but there were gimmicks out the arse, look at Plessie, Captain Toad levels, and the one where the flagpole runs away
>>
>>323459145
I played through that and completed it last year. Fuck that lava level.
>>
Currently downloading Conker's, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Donkey Kong 64. Am I in for a comfy few days? I liked spyro if that helps.
>>
>>323460798
yes
>>
>>323460798
Yeeeeeeep
>>
File: 7463_front.jpg (55KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
7463_front.jpg
55KB, 640x468px
>>323460710
Does it hold up? I'm thinking of playing it and pic related this year.
>>
File: banjof10.png.jpg (139KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
banjof10.png.jpg
139KB, 1366x768px
>>323460798
Oh you're going to be comfy alright.
>>
>>323461475
Mah nigga. That was my shit. I can't remember it's been too long
>>
>>323461701
I just realized I only played Tooie. I need to go emulate Kazooie now.
>>
>>323461895
Oh
OH!
You are in for a TREAT then, it must be really cool to see how Spiral Mountain and Gruntilda's Lair looked before it got all fucked up in Tooie.
>>
>>323461701
>Not posting the music to go with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKv9WeS8BOs
One of the best tracks in the game
>>
>>323462074
I imagine. I remember when I was a wee lad I was racking my brain trying to figure out a way to get further into Gruntilda's Lair, either a secret or glitching through the debris. It looked like there should have been a way.
>>
File: 4_seasons_in_Click_Clock_Wood.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
4_seasons_in_Click_Clock_Wood.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>323462086
True, but if we're talking comfy we have to include Click Clock Wood too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrGobUUMy_E
>>
>>323427758
Favorite 3D platformer interns of charm has to be Blinx the Time Sweeper. But overall favorite is Banjo Tooie.

Jak and Daxter 3 would be my third favorite. Just liked the atmosphere and the world of that game
>>
File: 1450037501660.jpg (61KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1450037501660.jpg
61KB, 960x720px
>>323462272
Haha, I can imagine your frustration!
But now you finally get to see what awaits you behind the rocks, have fun!
>>
>>323462483
*in terms of
They even got the cats speaking their own language. It was cute. :3 (the last boss was hard as balls tho)

Psychonauts is great too now that I think of.
>>
File: 1446424369379.jpg (16KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
1446424369379.jpg
16KB, 325x325px
>>323462665
Your manner of typing makes me feel like I'm talking to Grant Kirkhope himself and I'm scared
>>
So project64 is kinda shit. any better options?
>>
File: full20050120132937.jpg (283KB, 1200x1701px) Image search: [Google]
full20050120132937.jpg
283KB, 1200x1701px
>>323462689
Fuck how could I forget Psychonauts. pls don't fuck the sequel up
>>
>>323462887
Has it gotten worse? I remember it being good some 10 years ago, but i haven't used it since, might just be me remembering it wrong.
>>
>>323461475
Yeah, I thought it played well enough. Certain bits are annoying, however.
>>
>>323462415
Yeah, that's my favourite track of the game, not sure what the next two would be out of SM, TTC, FP, MMM, and the final battle
>>
>>323462887
The Virtual Console is flawless. If you can find a ROM to VC converter you could play it on the Wii.
>>
>>323462903
Man that was a dozy. The Meat Circus was some bullshit though.

The milkman level is probably my favorite in the game.
>>
File: 1448999754567.jpg (258KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1448999754567.jpg
258KB, 1000x750px
>>323462809
No, no, I just get very excited that people want to play my favorite game as a kid for the first time, and knowing that they have an entire adventure in front of them. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did"
>>
my favorite type of game is platforming
Neo nintendo platforming games suck now
and a hat in time and yooka laylee look better

Banjo kazooie is my favorite game of all time
time

There is so many great platformers
>>
>>323460798

again play the XBL versions of banjo, much better than the original game. they're ports, not emulation, with improved frame rates, added content, higher resolution text etc
>>
How many people here would hate my guts if I posted my OC music for a Banjo inspired platformer that's in the works
>>
>>323463178
That's because they tweak the emulation settings PER GAME for it to work perfectly via VC. So having only 1 emulator wouldn't be the same thing (it actually a lot more work)
>>
>>323463796
I would appreciate it
There needs to be more platformers
>>
>>323463796

what's banjo kazooie about it? does it try to emulate g.k.'s style of composition / arrangement? does it use a sample font like banjo kazooie / tooie?
>>
>>323463796
depends on how good the music is
post it nigger
>>
>>323463796
Is it actually in the works or are you just an ideas guy?
>>
File: hkidrocket.png (303KB, 802x836px) Image search: [Google]
hkidrocket.png
303KB, 802x836px
>>323427758
I have had fun with the Beta Version of A Hat in Time, the movement is pretty comforrtable (to me), but unfortunately I think Mafia Town is the only good stage that I've seen so far. I prefer the exploratory nature over the 3D mario model where you go from A to B and get sucked out of the level.

I have high hopes for Yooka Laylee. I'm really happy that there are so many people working on it that worked on my favorite game of all time, but at the same time I have to be skeptical seeing as it has been literally years since they last made a game of that nature. I fear they might have lost their edge.
>>
>>323463796
hit us up senpai
>>
>>323463903
>>323463951
>>323464073
>>323464120
Here's the entire soundtrack so far
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/sets/anton-coolpecker-ost

select tracks:

title theme
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/anton-coolpecker-ready-steady-go-title-theme

hub
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/anton-coolpecker-poynette-port-mixed

first level
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/anton-coolpecker-tranquil-treeline-feat-onlywednesdaymusic

second level (wip)
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/anton-coolpecker-aztec-antics-concept

third level and it's variations
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/anton-coolpecker-colossus-coast
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/anton-coolpecker-colossus-coast-underwater
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/impying-i-need-instruments
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/anton-coolpecker-colossus-coast-ants

We're currently working on the tutorial (which is gonna have dynamic music with a constant buildup), the hub and the first level "Tranquil Treeline". We got a bunch of design stuff done already but are trying to focus more on the actual programming now.
>>
>>323464837
Sounds kickass. I wish you and your team good luck.
>>
>>323464837
Sounds incredibly comfy, anon
Good luck
>>
>>323464837
Sounds sweet, how long have you been making music?
>>
>>323464837
Played a little bit of a demo thing that was posted on 8ch a few months ago where you got to play as Anton. Really digging the music you've got going for it so far.
>>
File: 1450558966884.png (400KB, 905x516px) Image search: [Google]
1450558966884.png
400KB, 905x516px
>>323464837
oh shit this is real good
>>
>>323464915
>>323465441
>>323465464
Thanks! I've learned how to play the guitar when I was 10 years old. I got into recording about 6 years ago
and this is pretty much one of the first projects I really put my teeth into.

>>323465581
I've been hesitating to mention the roots of the project. Nice to see there are still people around who can look past that.

This thing started out in a simple thread just like this one and almost the entire team is made up by anons from /v/
who were determined enough to create their own game, just so that we can have another N64-esque 3D platformer.
>>
>>323464837

liked the 12th one
>>
File: Wandantoncool.png (263KB, 973x760px) Image search: [Google]
Wandantoncool.png
263KB, 973x760px
>>323464837
I found it pretty funny how Anton and Coolpecker had the pants design on Wanda the snake right before Playtonic revealed their snake named Trouser.
>>
>>323466179
If you're talking about Vachellias Lair, that's supposed to be nothing more than a little joke/easter egg.

>>323466305
Don't even get me started on the Wanda pants war. I still have nightmares

Anyway, thanks a lot for the kind words, I really appreciate them!

>>323465763
annie a purest
>>
>>323459145
Best game. One of the finest 3D platformers ever made, but criminally underknown.
>>
File: 19983747722438 (19).png (703KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
19983747722438 (19).png
703KB, 1920x1080px
>>323464837
It's lovely.
>>
>>323467062

wasn't being sarcastic truly liked it, banjo kazooie samples are memorable and gruntilda's lair is the best things from those games (with spiral mountain and jinjo village)
>>
>>323464837
yooo this shit is dope as fuck
you need to shill the crap out of this game when it's done, i need to play
>>
File: wip3.jpg (80KB, 934x633px) Image search: [Google]
wip3.jpg
80KB, 934x633px
>>323467976
The lab theme is supposed to be dangerously close to fear factory and other Kirkhope compositions.
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/anton-coolpecker-laboratory-concept-update

All in all I take major inspiration from both him, David Wise, the Rayman 2 soundtrack (Tranquil Treeline intro and Follow That Breakfast)
and a bit of Koji Kondo I suppose, because the beach theme still gives me SMG Beach Galaxy vibes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IpxfRFI-V29xxWRhlK0t03qB4FiiO6FA5JwJZB-E9E0/edit?pli=1
Here's all you need to know about the game

here's a playable build:
anton.anticruft.com

We need as much constructive criticism and animators holy shit as possible.
>>
>>323464837
sounds like fun
it's that 8 chan game right?
>>
>>323469581
yes, it kind of is but we have a bunch of anons including myself who browse both chans and it's safe to say that we're not exclusively an 8ch project anymore,
since the team doesn't just consist of 8ch users and there comes a point where you need to branch out to other communities or just the public in general to move forward, like this anon put it:
>>323468213

That being said I myself never stopped browsing 4chan entirely and apart from the Hiroyuki rumors I don't really have any reasons to do so.
>>
File: noctilum.jpg (405KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
noctilum.jpg
405KB, 1280x720px
>>323427758
From the footage I have seen so far for A Hat in Time, it looks cool. There isn't a whole of Yooka-Laylee shown yet so I have no real opinion right now, but considering that its being made by ex-Rare devs makes me optimistic for it.
Banjo Tooie might be my favorite 3d platformer. Hailfire Peaks is GOAT.
I also love games that have a lot of 3d platforming despite not actually being traditional platformers, like Metroid Prime. Xenoblade Chronicles X is my favorite recent example. Yea its a JRPG, but holy shit is there a lot of stuff to jump on, collect, and explore.
>>
>>323470403
Well i don't really care ybout the origin i guess. I just associated it with 8ch because i read about it somewhere. Techraptor maybe.

Anyway it looks good so far, i hope it gets a finished thing.
>>
File: 1400795989889.png (67KB, 232x197px) Image search: [Google]
1400795989889.png
67KB, 232x197px
>Sucker Punch will never make platformers again

It's a damn shame. Rocket: Robot on wheels and the Sly Cooper trilogy are really good. Infamous 2 is also my favorite game of all time.
>>
File: Mario History.jpg (403KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Mario History.jpg
403KB, 810x1080px
>>323427758
I fucking love 3D platformers and it bums me out that the only one worth a damn in the last 5 years is 3D World, which while a great game, doesn't have the same level of freedom at 64.

God, I hope theres a Mario 64 style game at NX launch.
>>
oh, I almost forgot:
https://soundcloud.com/kevinhanse/anton-coolpecker-poaynette-port-jijis-garage-wip

This is the theme I'm currently working on.
It'll play when you enter Jiji's garage in Poynette Port.
>>
>>323470403
Can't be bothered to scroll up to your original post, but as I'm fairly sure it's you I'm noticing quite a bit of DKC influence in there, more so than BK/Kirkhope's stuff.

Have you listened to the TF soundtrack, because I was reminded a bit of these two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtMSyLdk0Q8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boqy0Q-4c_M

Were they kind of an inspiration, because your stuff does have a nice feel to it.
Sorry I can't say anytihng anymore constructive than what it reminds me of,
>>
>>323472169
>>323472169
nigga I fucking love the Tropical Freeze soundtrack and it's been a really big inspiration for me. I love the sort of melancholic sound in Wises music so much and my style probably matches that a bit more, than Kirkhopes but I don't think I ever thought of those 2 tracks when I made the tunes that could've reminded you of this ost. I'm still trying to draw lots of inspiration from Kirkhope, though.
>>
>>323472565
Yeah, the OST is great, and really goes with the levels, especially world-2, just how the windmills and mountains look so much like the countryside you see in the Netherlands, and Bavaria.

As for Kirkhope, don't try too hard to get his inspiration in, just go for what seems natural at the time. Personally I'd say Kirkhope is better for the quicker more fast-paced environments like with Hideout Helm, and a lot of the boss music, whereas Wise is a a lot more atmospheric.

Of course there are exceptions, like Fear Factory, and Minecart Carnage by Wise, DK Isles, Click Clock Wood, and Freezeezy peak by Kirkhope
>>
never liked the dk64 soundtrack. it sounds like filler really. there's a remix on the europe version of the ost release that's ok (not by kirkhope, credited as "acoustic department")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPZxA-4DTk
>>
>>323473875
>DK Isles
>Hideout Helm
>Frantic Factory
>Fungi Forest (day)
>Just about any of the boss music

I don't get it, what's not to like?
>>
>>323473875
>>323474329
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDFvdI3h4xM

how can anyone not love this
>>
>>323474429
God damn I miss music like this.
>>
A hat in time is pretty shit. It has none of the magic from old games, just feels like a souless copy.

Yooka-Laylee is my most hyped game right now.
>>
Oh well, thank you all for a great thread!
Hope to have one sometime again!
>>
>>323476969
It's not dead yet? We can live if we devolve into pointless bickering over ranking the levels or bosses in DK64 and Banjo Tooie.

Fungi Forest had the best boss, Mingy Jongo was a hero who did nothing wrong, and knew about Nuts and Bolts
Thread posts: 234
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.