[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seriously how did they fuck up so bad? It all started with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 20

File: Screenshot_2016-01-10-06-40-15.png (521KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-10-06-40-15.png
521KB, 1280x720px
Seriously how did they fuck up so bad?
It all started with the Adventure Update.
>>
File: 1395785006153.jpg (332KB, 521x804px) Image search: [Google]
1395785006153.jpg
332KB, 521x804px
>>323395489
it got popular
the glitchy honeymoon had to end sometime, 1.8 was the beginning of excessive polish
1.8 changed almost all core aspects in some way
from how you play the game all the way up to more homoginized and predictable terrain generation

and then further updates past 1.8 added too much fluff that ultimately very half baked ideas
like the ender dragon mushroom biomes, enchanting, and xp, and endermen to an extent
>>
>>323396115
>homoginized and predictable terrain generation
This is what killed the game for me.

I remember the actually interesting landforms that the engine would generate back in alpha. Biomes are a poor substitute.
>>
I think its because jeb haves a different goal in mind instead of a simple building game. Like the Original was intended to be.
>>
File: feeling.jpg (58KB, 449x688px) Image search: [Google]
feeling.jpg
58KB, 449x688px
>>323396115
on the subject of half baked ideas bats, bunnies, and endermites, and cats are completely half baked idea, horses felt like they were ripped from a mod

Im sure there are alot of other half baked that have been added but i can't be bothered to look through them all right now

but now that i look back
what >>323396623
said makes sense, I wonder how the game would have been if it was sucessful enough to entice notch to continue developing it but not enough to make him stop
>>
>You will never play Minecraft for the first time again
>You will never again spend 10 minutes figuring out how to make a pickaxe and then googling it
>>
File: 1418056068536.jpg (194KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1418056068536.jpg
194KB, 442x650px
>>323395489
>tfw it's been five years since ive played minecraft and i can still remember my first few houses and worlds, and all the hijinks i had in them as if they were yesterday

where does the time go...
>>
Alpha 1.2.4 was the best version. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>323398062
No Beds.
>>
Features originally promised inspired building like in terraria.

Then they just went full shitcunt mode.
>>
Its not a matter of content in my opinion.

I enjoyed minecraft a lot more on early stages, yes, but i think it was because what you used to do on servers had actual value.

Now everyone xrays into diamonds, to find other's bases, etc.

I remember when people could actually hide their bases within mountains or underwater because there were no hackers.

Now, you can go to any survival server, make a base, hide it well and by the next day you will find it destroyed and empty by random xray guy No.23154123.
>>
>>323398062
alpha 1.2.4 is pretty up there
my personal favorite is beta 1.6 but it's a tie between those two
>>
>>323395489
Notch and now Mojang don't even know what the hell to do with the game and through their lack of vision to create something cohesive and makes logical sense, they allowed the fanbase to be fractured into the people who want 3D Dawrf Fortress, the people who are happy with a half finished bare bones game because they can mod it however they want, and the people who are happy with a half finished barebones game because al they care about is building anyway. The people who wanted 3D Dwarf Fortress are long gone, leaving only the people who are happy with a half finished barebones game they can either mod or just mess around with building stuff and that is all Mojang needs to make their millions. There's no need to make the game anything more than just to releasing periodic update adding pointless shit to the game to keep everyone's interest.
>>
>>323396623

More like all the devs were indecisive in what they wanted from the game.

First, it was a sandbox and everyone loved it. Then they decided it should have combat and exploration.

All of a sudden everyone sees minecraft not as a building simulator, but a random gen adventure game where you'd come across vast dungeons and shit.

Then they decided to follow the Survival game meme and added food and other tedious bullshit.

No concept was ever explored fully, the games success can only be attributed by the lego factor.
>>
>>323398568
for me personally I like back then how modded server software like bukkit with plugins that really hampered the experience of the game
like you can't dig here go out 500 blocks etc.

and it's kinda painful to see a server become more segmented and generic

Like i used to go on a server and they used to have this town that they had protected merged with the free build world with the town protected
but eventually they had to get rid of the map i cant remember if it was corruption issues or outdatedness

they setup a new map and eventually replaced the old one

it used to be a server about just building stuff and talking

but then once they implemented the new map everything felt like it got more generic they split up everything into seperate worlds, added pvp worlds, hunger games, and the free build world suffered in alloted world size and their was no exploring the abandoned buildings of players of yesteryear which made it not that fun
>>
>>323399656
My best minecraft experience was when somoene made a gigantic floating island, it was large enough to have many biomes, but there was nothing beyond it, the server had a plugin that banned you until wipe if you died, and it was a survival "last man standing" game with other people, i lost against the very last guy.

It was amazing.
>>
As a multiplayer experience the game became cancerous, but i still enjoy the game as a single player. With no hacks or anything of course. What i liked the most was getting lost in the caves, finding lava, etc, and i still have that. I don't need to prove my autism level by building huge elaborate shit for others to see and judge, so i can build small functional shit that serves its purpose and that's it. I can dick around with Redstone without worrying about someone fixing up the wiring while I'm gone.

It's still decent, I'm still sad is not 3D Dorf fortress, and multiplayer is gay
>>
>>323395489
Minecraft went off in 15 directions at once as development continued on, so it got a lot of ideas that were only sort of implemented.

For example, Alchemy and Enchanting exist, but both have some major flaws -- Alchemy requires a lot of monster hunting for components and only has a so-so effect on many potions or a somewhat boring, linear effect, such as bonus damage or a heal that is pretty much meaningless when you already regenerate HP anyway. Enchanting is a neat idea to strengthen equipment, but it's still for the most part +damage or +armor and the way you gain experience encourages building mob grinders to get the XP. Both things are endgame content, the enchanting table requiring obsidian and diamonds, the alchemist's stand needing blaze rods obtained from nether fortresses. I would suggest creating a lesser alchemist's stand from overworld materials that can't make the same potions as the current one, and move weaker, more vanilla enchantments to simple anvil recipes.

Hunger was an ok concept, but I feel like you regenerate HP far too fast. I would make it so you only regenerate a half heart every 30 seconds or so to promote potion use, or require you to use a bed to get your HP back. Healing shouldn't be just as easy as stuffing steaks down your throat rapidly.

The bosses don't really serve a lot of purpose because combat mechanics aren't very deep in Minecraft. The ender dragon is more annoying since you just move around and kill some crystals to take him down while wearing a pumpkin on your head or standing in water. The wither is pretty much a beatdown with a sharpness 5/smite diamond sword, killing it before it kills you. No other enemy is a real threat after you get iron armor, when can be had within the first 10 minutes of starting a new world. The only exception to this are creepers not because they can do a large amount of damage, but because they can destroy stuff you build.
>>
File: born to feel.jpg (159KB, 746x982px) Image search: [Google]
born to feel.jpg
159KB, 746x982px
>>323400039

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGt90wdmAE
mine was back in beta one of my friends invited me to his schools minecraft club server there were no monsters but it was beautiful it was just a tight knit circle of friends having fun exploring and building shit like a city and personal houses no protection plugins and everyone trusted eachother, no one stole anything from eachother,

we just built and talked with eachother and had our own little adventures, even the moderators celebrated my birthday once, I can remember alot of the events, and i can remember when it all stopped
when it released nearly everyone stopped playing i didn't know why at the time, but i was one of the last people to go on and it closed down a little bit after...
>>
>>323397267
>horses felt like they were ripped from a mod
Wernt they literally ripped from a mod?
Didn't they hire a modder to implement horses?
>>
>>323400512
There's not a whole lot of reasons to explore because the concept of dungeons was never really developed. Most resources just require you to mine a lot anywhere in the world. Strongholds don't really hold any unique loot beyond the Ender Portal. "Dungeons" still remain a 7x5x5 cobblestone block with a monster spawner. The nether provides some unique terrain and challenges, but ultimately falls to the same issue as its overworld counterparts.

Building is fairly limited as well, but thankfully there's more and more materials every update. It would be nice to include all sorts of different objects in addition the the stuff we got recently like cobblestone walls, potted plants, etc for those looking to build vanity buildings. For people looking for functional buildings, such as a fortress that is actually designed to repel attacks, there's not a lot of reasons to build anything more than a 5x5 dirt cube because nothing really bothers you outside of other players, who will just chisel straight through whatever you build anyway.

And finally, speaking of players, the final issue with Minecraft is that PvP simply isn't engaging or interesting. As above, building things to repel invaders is useless, the only real material that slows them down is obsidian, which is difficult to gather in quantities needed, and doesn't really stop someone with a diamond enchanted pickaxe anyway. No NPCs are available to defend what you build either, so maintaining a base on a server that won't be sacked as soon as you hop offline is difficult to say the least. Fighting other players is usually pretty dull, limited to who has the stronger equipment, and if evenly matched, consists of two players running at each other clicking wildly to score hits with the occasional bow user. There hasn't been new ways to fight since the bow's been made either, unless you count dumping lava buckets on people.
>>
>>323401820
Modders helped MC's situation somewhat by providing focused developments to specific parts of the gameplay. Industrialcraft provided an electrical system along with factory style objects to aid in the creation of technical items. Better Dungeons added just that, larger, more detailed dungeons to explore and conquer with unique enemies/bosses and loot. Thaumcraft added in new environmental mechanics in the form of aura/taint, a way to utilize this ambient magic, and magical themed items to go with it. Terrain mods help to generate more interesting or realistic terrain. Twilight Forest adds an entirely new dimension to explore, complete with unique enemies and dungeons and loot. None of these mods really coordinate to provide a supplemental experience to the base game however, with most completely outdoing anything you can get in vanilla Minecraft and thus rendering the base game obsolete when enabled.

Mods also are the saddest thing with Minecraft as well. Notch had access to a massive amount of amateur talent with great ideas that could've been harnessed to improve Minecraft dramatically with a little coordination. Although he did eventually absorb horses from Mo' Creatures, many other modmakers with good works were left ignored, when it would've been trivial for Mojang to shell out a few thousand bucks to have a modmaker produce content on contract with Mojang's supervision. The Aether, for example, would've been a lovely addition to Minecraft during its time, far more interesting than The End was.
>>
>>323402653
Aether was a great mod, but i think it doesnt really get developed anymore
>>
File: 1451436260842.jpg (39KB, 420x236px) Image search: [Google]
1451436260842.jpg
39KB, 420x236px
>>323402956
This hurts. The Aether was one of the best mods to ever happen.
>>
>>323395489
Adding the food counter was what did it for me. Made the game tedious as fuck.
>>
>>323402653
I remember there being talk about having official mod support built into minecraft.

Did that never develop? Whenever I look into things like Bukkit for servers they're always versions behind.
>>
File: patchcolle_Jan16.jpg (1MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
patchcolle_Jan16.jpg
1MB, 2592x1728px
>>323399345
What about those industrialcraft/engineering modders?
>>
>Tfw no /v/ thaumcraft server
>>
>tfw playing back when all there was to do was fly around and break/create blocks
>>
>>323402956
>>323404928
It does get updated frequently. Stop talking shit if you dont know
>>
OP, what server is that on? I remember playing with a guy named Snougi a long time ago but I can't remember where. Is this your own pic? Is it recent?
>>
>>323407760
Never mind, just noticed that this was taken forever ago. Now I'm really sad. :(
>>
>>323407708
Last time I checked, they said they couldn't keep up with the updates because the mod was so big or some bullshit. If that isn't the case anymore, thanks for the heads up.
>>
1.8 introduced bloat and more bloat, added hunger and introduced the underage fanbase we all know and criticize today

It's becoming more "craft" than "mine".
>>
Where in the fuck is the FLOAT? Not a Minecraft thread without FLOAT.
>>
I know this sounds pretty autistic, but what if Minecraft with Darksouls combat ?
Something focused on a similar build/mine point with server based PVP

I used to play on a server where you were banned for a month if you die and every month the map was reset

The tension was fantastic but I could only help but wonder what if the actual game didn't fucking suck
>>
>>323408710

I was in a FLOAT 4craft once, it was fucking hideous.
>>
>>323408806
What if we had tetris with nethacks combat?
>>
>>323408806

>Mentioning dark souls combat

That's pretty autistic. I mean Dark Souls isn't the only third person ARPG, you could have said dragon's dogma combat too.
>>
>>323408710

You mean "FLAOT"
>>
>>323408901
But seriously, Minecraft with Crash Bandicoot combat
>>
>>323408940
Sure man, someone get the fucking bot in here though, in this world of garbage I need some constants
>>
command blocks are a really good addition but everything else was unneeded
>>
>>323409171
Go to bed.
>>
>>323408806
Honestly this would work pretty well. It's simple but still has some challenge, seems easy to program and would be much more fun.
>>
How can Minecraft even compare?
>>
>>323397856
Think about the bright side, your biological demise is approaching with light speed.
When you die everything stops, memories, emotions, opinions. And death even if it's painful it's just a moment.. really doesn't matter after that nothing will exist anymore.
>>
Alpha: build, create, defend
Beta: survival, exploration, indie
Finished Product: [spolier]memes[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1444068944749.jpg (144KB, 496x586px) Image search: [Google]
1444068944749.jpg
144KB, 496x586px
>>323409171
There's nothing wrong with liking ponies, its 2016 for fucks sake.
>>
Did they fix the terrain yet? I been only playing on beta and alpha.
>>
>>323408938
I'm not gonna lie to you here I have never played Darksouls

Just the first example that came to mind, something with really heavy feeling combat
Still going to be a game about fucking blocks though
>>
I've been thinking of creating a mod that changes the world generation to a giant desert. Water will be present, but buried deep underground, along with patches of dirt excluding the occasional oasis.

Maybe I've just been watching too much Desert Punk.
>>
File: maxresdefaultas.jpg (214KB, 1864x906px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefaultas.jpg
214KB, 1864x906px
play with mods 100x better. trust me.
>>
>>323395489
They should have just opened it up for modders and made it more stable. Everything they've done was already was a mod. If they had an Xbox mod marketplace they would be rolling in the 12 year old parent money. The game just needed some polish and the only necessary additions were things that mods couldn't do well. Playing early versions of mod packs like tekkit was great with friends.
>>
File: 1336368624519.jpg (17KB, 226x219px) Image search: [Google]
1336368624519.jpg
17KB, 226x219px
The law of Cohesion.
It got popular, new games like Minecraft came along who did things better, Minecraft devs tried to catch up, they failed.
It always ends like this for indie games.
DayZ is a brilliant example.
>>
the hunger thing was a pretty shitty mechanic, it should have rewarded the player somehow(mining speed, attack or running speed boosts?) instead of just killing you
>>
File: FLAOT 4.png (319KB, 985x911px) Image search: [Google]
FLAOT 4.png
319KB, 985x911px
>>
i remember playing a version that required java on the minecraft website. i dont remember any crafting, just digging. i think there were two options: muliplayer and solo
>>
I miss the good ol' days.
>>
>>323395489
uh no, its went downhill when MP added and notch forced to cater LPers more and more. The supposed survival update is now more of multiplayer magic update
>>
>>323412904
Yeah they used to have a free to play version on the website. It was just a creative mode and all you could was build or play games like Lava Survival and Zombie Escape. Lava Survival was great.
>>
>>323401102
They implemented a lot of mobs from the Mo' Creatures mod, didn't credit the creator until months later, and then reimbursed him for a small sum IIRC.
>>
>>323409547
the fuck is this and is it good
>>
>>323401102

Mojang "got" their permission (Mo' Creatures was the mod, I think) to rip the horse straight from the mod.
>>
If the game would've stopped after the bed update I would still be playing it probably. Honestly, if you need all that content (especially from people who won't go into the concept 40% ish) get a modder to do it for you. I remember playing and watching all those low quality looking videos of MC right after the bed update and feeling so cozy and at home. It felt good.
>>
File: FLAOT1.png (1MB, 985x911px) Image search: [Google]
FLAOT1.png
1MB, 985x911px
>>
>>323395489
>Seriously how did they fuck up so bad?
What did they fuck up?
>>
>>323412854
Doing G-d's work.
>>
>>323412904

That would be Minecraft Classic. That was removed directly from the homepage sometime ago to prevent people from enjoying Minecraft and making them compelled to buy Premium.
>>
>>323413318
OP explains it top notch.
>1.8
Even after I recovered, I perm felt a huge loss of entertainment value (especially survival, holy shit ;_:7) after it. Any update post 1.8 made the game COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE.
>>
File: 1427751695304.jpg (26KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1427751695304.jpg
26KB, 600x375px
>>323412854
>space between FLAOT and 4
>>
>>323413417
And what was so bad with 1.8?

Before 15 months ago, minecraft was great, then 1.8 came and it sucked.
Why?
>>
File: 1421994294640.jpg (11KB, 168x271px) Image search: [Google]
1421994294640.jpg
11KB, 168x271px
>classic no longer exists
>>
>It all started with the Adventure Update.
It all started when it started you underage twat.
>>
>>323413535
>EXP
>Dungeons
>h u n g e r
>>
No joke, I played my 360 MC version because before it got the Xbone port they hardly ever, if ever, updated it. It didn't have 1.8 for a series of months, even afterwards it took a while to get updated past the basic form of 1.8.
>>
>>323396115
>predictable terrain generation
I was never able to gen interesting worlds after that update.
I think that's what killed it for me.
My favourite longest played map had a valley with mountains that had sheer drops, a desert nearby with mountains surrounding it.
Just a whole bunch of cool shit in every direction... and then after the update every world following was just nothing followed by nothing and more nothing.
>>
>>323413776
Oh beta 1.8.

Three good additions didn't ruin the game.
>>
>>323413141
It's Lego Worlds and it's very good if you like building. If you don't like building you won't like it
>>
File: FLAOT5.png (2MB, 1295x919px) Image search: [Google]
FLAOT5.png
2MB, 1295x919px
I haven't posted these in 5 years.
>>
>>323414835
>early access game

I'll play the waiting game then
>>
File: FLAOT6.png (972KB, 929x936px) Image search: [Google]
FLAOT6.png
972KB, 929x936px
>>
File: FLAOT2.png (2MB, 1738x874px) Image search: [Google]
FLAOT2.png
2MB, 1738x874px
>>
>>323395489
The game died and was overrun with autists as soon as the red stone update came out.
>>
File: Cube-World-Multi.jpg (774KB, 1912x1013px) Image search: [Google]
Cube-World-Multi.jpg
774KB, 1912x1013px
>>323409547

Remember this?

He's been quiet since July 23rd, 2013. He's been posting updates on the game and his last one was on the 3rd.
>>
File: 1451400040403.jpg (17KB, 200x274px) Image search: [Google]
1451400040403.jpg
17KB, 200x274px
>his minecraft character is a self insert
>>
>>323415375
If I hadn't realised his twitter was still actively being updated I'd probably be forever pissed.
>>
>>323413240
Oh boy imagine being surprised by an exploding dick in those sand clouds and everything falls. Well now that I imagine it doesn't sound that cool but whatever.
>>
The end of minecraft was Infdev, you cucks. That's when it lost all focus and just became a building sim with some zombies I guess. Indev was the best period for the game.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.