[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that combo-focused HnS/stylish action games always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: devil_may_cry_3_1.jpg (79KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
devil_may_cry_3_1.jpg
79KB, 640x480px
Why is it that combo-focused HnS/stylish action games always have you grind to unlock moves? Whether its DMC, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Dragon's Dogma, Killer is Dead, or God Hand, there's always moves that you have to unlock by grinding some form of currency or experience. Shouldn't these games be treated more like a sandbox that just throw you in and say "eh, here's the entire move list. go fucking nuts, kid." as opposed to going through unnecessary tedium to finally obtain a moveset you can work with?
>>
File: KING CRIMSON.jpg (160KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
KING CRIMSON.jpg
160KB, 1000x800px
Would DMC/Bayo/etc style combat be fun in an MMO?
>>
File: 1414643109491.jpg (108KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1414643109491.jpg
108KB, 1920x1080px
>>323348393

i think it's because those are single player focused games and beyond move unlocking, there's not much else you can give to a player to unlock a sense of progression or becoming slowly "stronger".

i mean sure there's earning health and special bar increases, but those really don't carry it by themselves.
>>
I'm not sure how credible 4chan thinks the Extra Credits series is, but I believe one of their episodes touched upon an explanation to this problem in trying to explain a different problem. Bottom line: having the "here's the entire move list, have fun" approach might overwhelm a player who hasn't gotten used to the basics; as a result, trickling content down to the player as an experience bar fills or a shop stocks new moves and such allows players to get used to a few good moves before introducing steadily greater and greater moves.

Granted, this could be worked around by granting the player a "New Game+" option, so replaying it is more fun without sacrificing any semblance of an enforced learning curve for the first time around.
>>
>>323348743
Nope since the players would just lock you with an infinite combo
>>
>>323348393
It's a non-issue as long as you start with enough moves/weapons/styles so that the combat isn't too repetitive
>>
>>323349540
WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF INTERNET
>>
>>323348393
The problem with giving them everything is that there's no sense of progression. You begin to lose interest very quickly when you realize there's nothing more to the game than what's currently available. Even the best sandbox games don't give everything at the beginning when the content locks are soft or hard. Progression is so intrinsically connected to games that some wouldn't even consider it a game without it.
>>
>>323350916
but anon, there's always the story
>>
I've never grinded in any of those games, they're designed so you get the necessary amount of "exp" when you fight throughout the game, in DMC it even rewards you by giving you more if you git gud so that in turn makes you a better player and rewards you for it.
>>
>>323348393
>Wonderful 101
Can't comment on the rest, but I unlocked everything just by playing the game, no grinding.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.