[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In a decade, will the P&P aspects of RPGs be long gone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: 1447203114231.jpg (731KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1447203114231.jpg
731KB, 1920x1200px
In a decade, will the P&P aspects of RPGs be long gone?
>>
RPGs all together will be long gone.
Many RPGs right now are just action games with RPG elements tacked on.
>>
It's already gone, Anon. It's already gone.
Normies want to be super strong and super awesome from the very start. They do not want to deal with silly stats that would hinder them.
>>
>>323330502
I dunno about that. Meme souls proves that people are still very elitist about playing "super hard games" where they're not always advantaged.
>>
Morrowind wasn't a part of that
>>
Western RPGs will once more be the domain of PC games made by medium-sized companies and no longer part of the AAA crowd, like Pillars of Eternity is. This is not a bad fate, considering AAA is a rotting genre and medium-sized companies are the ones that generally come out with the best games.

jRPGs, on the other hand, will probably continue as they are for a while. I'd say it's going to continue healthily on, but the remake of FFVII being action-based dealt a heavy blow to it.

I fear we may enter an era where action RPGs overtake regular RPGs the same way military shooters overtook the FPS genre.
>>
Probably. Even stuff like skills and attributes don't have any meaningful effect on your character these days. They are just there to show your progress.
>>
>>323330451
Hence the truly grand term of 'action adventure'.
>>
>>323331179
>AAA
>A genre

AAA isn't a genre it's a budget.
>>
>>323331448
Yes, I of course meant development model, and only realized the mistake after the fact..
Apologies. I'm tired.
>>
File: missing the good old days.png (207KB, 790x2300px) Image search: [Google]
missing the good old days.png
207KB, 790x2300px
>>323330451
>>
>>323331803
>crash (ha, ha).
Truly a Bethesda game through and through.
>>
>>323331803
Hey look a guy pretending this is what anyone sounded like in '96.
>>
File: rpg stats.jpg (97KB, 904x484px) Image search: [Google]
rpg stats.jpg
97KB, 904x484px
Here are two muscular characters. Both can throw punches. Both can evade punches. Both can take punches as well. But which is which:

Character 1
STR: 18
DEX: 18
CON: 18
INT: 10
WIS: 15
CHA: 6
Steal: 150
Once per day, can do a fist skill that instantly kills a target.

Character 2
STR: 17
DEX: 10
CON: 12
INT: 12
WIS: 11
CHA: 14
>>
>>323332301
>CHA: 14
The right one, for he is not a nigger.
>>
File: honest todd.png (98KB, 590x1030px) Image search: [Google]
honest todd.png
98KB, 590x1030px
>>323332179
It's a real post from 1996.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg/j_MjXs1qALk

If you dig deep enough in the Usenet archives you can even find Todd Howard himself shilling Redguard in a few threads, literally asking people to buy his game.
>>
>>323331803
To be fair, all his complaints about Daggerfall are not only legitimate, they are acknowledged to this day. And while RPGs in the west have for the most part ENTIRELY dropped the whole party-based gameplay aspect, they have kept the bit about individual NPCs with identities and schedules.
>>
>>323331803
All those games he mentioned seem to be completely forgotten and very rarely talked about on /v/ if at all.
>>
>>323333702
>seem to be completely forgotten and very rarely talked about on /v/ if at all.

Wizardry is occasionaly brought up in JRPG threads as the "always bigger fish" option whenever a fan of Dragon Quest and SMT starts getting uppity and denouncing Final Fantasy as casual worthless garbage while arguing that their games are the hardest ones in the genre.
>>
>>323333481
Yeah. He's not wrong. Just a pioneer in catching the red flags as they popped up, warning of the demise of quality RPGs in vidja. Some good has come between his panicked posts and today, but the trend has been undeniable.
>>
>>323333702
/vr/ has retro RPG and dungeon crawler threads where those games are occasionally discussed.
>>
>>323330187
They were always gone.
>>
>>323333702
Try /vr/
>>
File: nice jorb.jpg (64KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
nice jorb.jpg
64KB, 800x600px
>>323334187
As a graphics fag I have never been able to get into games like Ultima 4 and others of its pedigree. What can I do to fix this?
>>
>>323334626
>graphics fag
You're beyond saving
>>
>>323333702
vr talks about them but overall those games are from the DOS/Amiga/Atari era and 4chan is pretty console-centred as far as games go, so it's as alien for most of you as for me is emulating SNES or Genesis.
>>
>>323334705
Really? To be clear I'm not after "good" graphics by modern standards. Just some kind of graphic interface. Like the pic I posted.

There has to be something. :^(
>>
>>323334974
There aren't many games that are completely text or ascii based, even the early ultimas.
>>
>>323334974
Then Ultima 4 isn't a game for you, you're in the wrong decade all together.

Try Ultima 6(with NUVIE - google it) and 7(Exult), Might and Magic 3, 4, 5 and Dungeon Master.

When it comes to interfaces you're kinda out of luck because they were designed to run at resolution around 320x240(usually 320x200 with stretching, assets were developed with that stretching in mind) or in 80's - even lower than that - C64 had 160x200 "multicolour mode" some games did 320x200 thanks to interlacing though.

That was the time when increasing resolution meant that you have more workspace(where nowadays you scale things up on high DPI screens so they are visible).

Oh and don't forget that when mouse as a thing became popular, devs didn't exactly knew what to do with them. At least at first.
>>
File: Fallout-4-400-hours[1].jpg (135KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout-4-400-hours[1].jpg
135KB, 1920x1080px
>>323332589
Bethesda, Bethesda never changes...
>>
>>323332589
huh, so Todd was really a huge shill? I thought that was just crap /v/ made up
>>
>>323336457
It wasn't really a massive shilling operation, he just created two threads and brought it up a few times in other discussions. I think it was more that he was younger and excited to talk about his first (leading) project. He discussed it on Usenet before Bethesda even revealed the game to the public, and took advice on the dialogue system.

He didn't do anything like that for any other games as far as I know.
>>
>>323334974
Play some pure text adventures. They're pretty timeless in my opinion, and they'll allow you to move forward and experience the evolution of the RPG genre in the proper context. Maybe that'll help you get your bearings in the transitional games. If that doesn't work, then just don't force yourself to play a game that you're not feeling. Maybe you'll come back to it later and it'll suddenly become tolerable, or you'll just move on to any of the other great games, new and old alike, at your disposal.

I like "The Pawn" from Magnetic Scrolls as a decent entry point for text-parsing adventures. It's something of a parody of the genre. It's fun, funny, and easy to emulate.
>>
these posts are great

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg/ldFTUzIhX0g
>>
>>323330746
souls are not rpgs per se. you can do fine without touching the rpg elemets even once
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.