[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Character ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

File: Mlgdank.png (82KB, 400x324px) Image search: [Google]
Mlgdank.png
82KB, 400x324px
(Pic Unrelated)
So recently I came up with an idea for an RPG undertale/ earthbound style game... now why am i telling you this you may ask? WELL HERE'S THE THING. I need character ideas and where else would i look other than this amazing shithole called 4chan. Almost anything goes. I need good ideas and my mom always said "The best things come from the worst places" so this is why i have come to you boys. I love you guys and remember to stay classy ;) .
>>
DUDE
>>
>>323299309
DUDE
>>
fuck off degenerate
>>
OH SHIT I'M SO HYPED

So, what games have you done before?
>>
>>323299254
a person named Op that is a homosexual
>>
>>323299390
Not important, i need the ideas boy.
>>
>>323299407
Holy, that sounds kinda like someone i know. >.>
>>
>>323299432
What the fuck do you do with ideas if you can't even make a game?
>>
>>323299432
>none
hhahahahahaha
>>
MAN

CANNABIS

HAHA
>>
A sword with a gun
>>
I'M MAKING A GAME BUT I'M TOO LAZY TO MAKE THE GAME
>>
a cute girl with a gun
>>
>>323299564
... Just throw them at me, believe me I can make the game, I just need ideas first. My faggot brain is having trouble. Autism's a bitch
>>
>>323299769
>believe me I can make the game
Why would I believe you when you have nothing to show that I should?
>>
Make a really faggy character based on OP
>>
>>323299884
Doesn't matter, just give me an idea. Why ya gotta make this difficult, you could literally just say "a potato" and it would be made into a character. You don't have to put any actual thought into it just give me a fucking idea.
>>
>>323300045
kek, we can only have one faggot named OP in this game, get your own idea.
>>
MAN POT LOL
>>
>>323300087
Then why don't you just pick a word at random and do it? Why you need /v/ for it?
>>
>>323300494
HOLY FUCK UR TILTING ME.
Picking a word at random isnt very fucking creative now is it?
>>
Not a character idea but it turns out at the end of the game, you were the bad guy all along. Your perception of enemies and the world around you was skewed like instead of a bunch of monsters it was just normal people and police after you come down from like a drug trip or psychotic episode and the player just has to reflect on everything they just did and oh god that could have been so fucked up.
>>
>>323300592
Using someone elses idea isn't either
>>
A box of tissues with a tissue coming out of the top but with a sad face.
>>
>>323300727
It is 2016 and i am thoroughly triggered
>>
>>323300724
This sir... is a gr8 idea. I am thoroughly pleased with your work. Multiple endings soo uh... this can be one of them ;) .
>>
>>323301231
You're welcome mr. Guy
>>
A sentient gun who wields a sword
>>
What about a grown man but the size of a baby. And he sits in the backpack of this thing and it's like a bear on two legs but with a hippo's head.
>>
File: 1449794932827.jpg (126KB, 463x986px) Image search: [Google]
1449794932827.jpg
126KB, 463x986px
Here goes your hero anon.
>>
>>323301528
Oh but with like jacked people arms and it wears boxing gloves.
>>
File: 2015-12-11 21.16.09.jpg (191KB, 563x703px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-11 21.16.09.jpg
191KB, 563x703px
>>323301645
Or this guy
>>
>>323299578
That's not even the problem given that everyone has to start somewhere, the problem he wants /v/ to make it for him.
>>
>>323301528
holy... welp, since its here then it has to happen
>>
>>323301992
You want more gems?
>>
>>323301990
I dont necessarily want /v/ to make it for me. I was just having a hard time coming up with more ideas and I needed some help. Why not ask /v/? Maybe get some good ideas, funny ideas, or just plain bad ideas that still wiggle their way into the game. I never asked anyone to make it for me, just to give me a lil hand. (bc i said that someone is gonna say "a little sentient hand". i can see it coming)
>>
>>323302148
Ruby for vigor?
>>
How about a shen grid fusi haha wish Usha worries office Ueno
>>
File: 6hOGdp2Z7r-12.png (39KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
6hOGdp2Z7r-12.png
39KB, 300x250px
>>323299254
Okay like

What sort of character ideas do you want here?

Do you want us to write the whole story for you by proxy?

Do you want us to come up with the new epic meme characters like funny skeleton man, serious skeleton man, gay fish and weeb dinosaur?

Do you want ideas on making quirky characters that could have gimmicks as player characters/enemies/bosses?

And you want us to do that without any context to the setting? C'mon man, don't gimme this shit. Begin with fucking one original thought from your head, like a setting or something. A core idea, a theme. Toby likes to explore themes of player consequence, homosexual characters and fourth wall breaking, and that basically sums up the entirety of Undertale. What the fuck do YOU want the game to be about at its core, then maybe we can think about the kind of characters that would compliment the kind of story you would tell.

pic unrelated
>>
I'm thinking a giant spider but with shoes on 4 of his legs and like gloves on the other four and in one of his hands is like a bundle of leashes and on the ends of those leashes are like giant ants but with the heads of like a dog or a fox but they still have antennae
>>
A sentient butthole
>>
File: eayUkKN.jpg (34KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
eayUkKN.jpg
34KB, 500x667px
>>323303035
>>
>>323301459
Kek
>>
DUDE
>>
>>323302569
First off... Great fking picture. Second: To be honest the whole plot isnt exactly clear to me. It is just a bunch of jumbled up shit in my head. So idk what the plot is gonna be exactly. I recently came up with the idea in general so I have not had any actual time to think of anything. I just want it to be whatever for now, anything you want to be in it right now will be in it. If you want to give details go ahead but if not i couldnt care less. I want any ideas you people are willing to give me, mostly just for fun. I want to see what you guys would want from a game like this. Literally anything goes until I have a full plot figured out. Its going to be a big game, It wont be out any time this year or even next year if im being honest. It will take a while, I just want some character ideas that i can shape the plot around.
>>
This is the funniest shitpost I've seen today.
>>
>>323303035
Welp... idk how thats gonna work out but your wish is my command young duck.
>>
>>323299254
make one of the character Commodore Matthew C. Perry
because reasons
>>
>>323303546
>big game
I mean like from a very small development team's standpoint.
>>
>>323303546
Alright but you're not giving us a lot to work with here. What about a bully character but he's that way because he's insecure about his sexuality.
>>
>>323303876
I like it boy...
>>
File: eNngqse.jpg (550KB, 1520x1520px) Image search: [Google]
eNngqse.jpg
550KB, 1520x1520px
>>323303546
No. Not the plot, we're not asking about the plot. I wanna know the core THEME. The IDEA. Plot comes second to that. The whole plot of Undertale could be summed as a throwaway mess of furry meme pandering tumblr garbage, but it's memorable because it is all in service of the THEME of PLAYER CONSEQUENCES. The separation of pacifism and killing, that you can end encounters peacefully, the whole plot about reconciling two races with a history of war and a lost soul yearning to feel alive again, those all can be tied back to the main THEME that Toby likes to explore, and that he explored in his old Earthbound romhack years before Undertale.

What's the THEME of your game? What's your core IDEA? What do you wanna explore? Write about? What sorts of ideas and themes do you want and like writing about?

Popular examples of themes:
Father-son/daughter relationships
Love transcending boundaries
Dealing with loss/trauma
Revenge and how it can be destructive and bad
Guilt and how people deal with it
What people do in the post-apocalypse
Is mankind the real monster? (the answer is always yes)
How a heroic and noble person becomes a villain
Politics
War
Child abuse
Homosex

I mean you don't _have_ start a game concept like that, but I think that usually leads to a more cohesive product, especially with RPGs that tend to be narrative-based. Even if you just wanna make people laugh, it can help define the kinds of humor and tone of the jokes.
>>
>>323304435
>Homosex
that's the one
>>
>>323300724
>>323301231

Twists in videogames don't work like twtsts in movies you fucking idiots
>>
>>323304435
That... pic is amazing.

Indeed interesting anon. The main themes I mostly like exploring through everything I make (crappy books and shit) is War/How people deal with problems going on in the world. From what I was thinking the game would be centered on a war between multiple factions and groups.
I tend to lean towards psychological horror shit while keeping a humorous undertone. Most of the reason I enjoyed undertale was because of the psychological horror aspects while keeping humor in the game. I want the player to either regret what they did or feel happy about what they did but still feel compelled to try to do it in a new way. All I wanna do is toy with the players mind throughout the game in whatever way I can.
>>
>>323305859
so basically you wanna remake undertale and you want 4chan to help you fill in thte blanks (which is everything but the fact that its an earhbound/undertale clone)
>>
>>323299361
CIGARETTE LMAO
>>
>>323305859
I just want to fuck with people. Kill off all of their favorite characters, have their favorite characters change in either a positive or negative way. I dont want a single static character in the game, I want everything that happens in the game shift the way that the player thinks about shit. I dont want the player to feel the same after the game as when they started.
>>
>>323306062
Not necessarily, I dont want it to actually be anything like undertale while still being similar at the same time. I know it doesnt make sense but i dont really know how to put it a way that does make sense. I havent slept in 32 hours so just bare with me.
>>
>>323306408
+ my autism is creeping up on me.
It isnt like I dont have any original ideas for the game i just wanted to try something out. I wanted to see what ideas /v/ was willing to give me. I already had more characters than I really needed for the game.
>>
File: CSTZ.jpg (1KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
CSTZ.jpg
1KB, 250x250px
You're worse than the people who think of ideas for games but can't make them. You can't even think of an idea for a game that you still couldn't make. Get out.
>>
>>323306974
Holy... im so triggered. You are just a Trumping piece of trumping trump. You trumping bigot.
>>
File: 1395814971959.gif (498KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
1395814971959.gif
498KB, 300x222px
>I have a game idea but not really help me find one
>>
>>323303546
>>323305859
That's good, I think that makes it easier to come up with ideas. In terms of setting, this will sound strange but hear me out, I like the core idea behind Lego's Chima universe. If you read a wiki synopsis it's basically there's a bunch of different animal tribes and they all live together in political peace, centered around a big sport that provide entertainment as well as deciding who gets their share of this valuable natural resource.

And what's most interesting (the idea at least) is the politics of it, that the main villains can't always be punished because they have to keep up political relations and don't want to risk all-out war, or that the tribes aren't totally unified and they might be waging war to keep up morale or something. All while typical cartoon shenanigans happens there's still bits of internal power struggles and the prince of the evil tribes are really just pressured into the situation and not really evil, that sort of thing I find interesting.

That said, don't watch the show. Voice acting and writing is godawful terrible and all that is thrown out the window for "dude insect aliens" and "dude white walkers" in the later seasons.

>>323306215
So basically you want Lisa: The Painful RPG. Because that's literally what you're describing. Juxtaposing darker themes with humor is something both Undertale and Lisa do, but they go about it in very different ways. Undertale's player choices are all about narrative consequence, while Lisa has more choices but they impact gameplay more (since Lisa is an actual RPG that's not an easy "le narrative experience" sorta game). Like in Lisa you are given the choice to either lose an arm or permanently lose a party member. There's not a huge difference in the story, but there may be huge gameplay consequences depending on what you choose.

Fucking with players and having dark undertones is good, solid choices to start a game. Just don't try too hard.
>>
>>323300087
A potato

You're welcome
>>
>>323308236
HOlY thatz pretty gud idear.
>>
>>323308064
I like the ideas, thanks ill have to play Lisa. Ill check out the whole legends of chima thing. Once again the pic is amazing. And yeah everything about the actual show is pretty bad, I watched 30 seconds of it and vomited. Aylmao's are 2 helpful...
>>
File: tumblr_mq8wroxNvN1r14stqo1_500.gif (712KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mq8wroxNvN1r14stqo1_500.gif
712KB, 500x500px
>>323308913
Yeah maybe just read the wiki synopsis for Chima, the actual show is like the worst thing on television I've seen in a while.

>>323308064
What I mean by "don't try too hard", it's like, we can all tell when a game is trying too hard. When a game is throwing it in your face that "your choices mattered! feel bad for your choices! I fooled your expectations!" Undertale kinda has that problem, but the charm and humor take the edge off. Like when Flowey is calling you an idiot and mocking everything you did even through saves because the game secretly autosaves a separate text file. That's all cool and shocking but if it pushed too much further than that I'd say it would get into cringe territory. Also people criticize Spec Ops because it wants to make you feel like shit really hard, but the game never gives you a choice so it feels forced. Trying too hard to guilt the player one might say.
I don't think Lisa has that problem but I haven't finished it.

>>323300087
I'll give you one original idea I came up with on the spot.

I had an idea of like a guy went through this whole evil blood ritual to gain the powers to transform into a giant demon wolf, but only afterwards he realized that he had no reason to become a wolf in the first place, like he heard he could do it so he just did it without really thinking why. So he sits around feeling mildly discontent that he achieved his goal without ever thinking why he wanted it and quietly trying to deal with the disappointment that his life goal ended up being. The joke would be he can turn into a big badass monster but he speaks and acts like a passive, bored middle-aged guy who just retired but has no hobbies or passion to do anything now that he doesn't need to work anymore. And it's not like an obvious "oh woe is me my life is horrible" like Burgerpants of memetale, he makes idle talk and converses normally but just seems sorta listless and unsatisfied most of the time.
>>
>>323310291
Thank you so much for all of the help that you have given me, you are literally the only saving grace in this shithole that is life/the internet. I probably would never have taken any of this into consideration if you hadnt have responded. Most people i know irl are just like "shut up fag" and then im just like "D:" and then they shove dirt up my ass and kick me in the throat (not really doe) You are the true weed smoking aylmao. Your words have not gone unheard, I will make the best game i possibly can just for u big guy ;). p.s. I wish i was the bong (no homo)
>>
File: CCp1p8T.jpg (82KB, 640x635px) Image search: [Google]
CCp1p8T.jpg
82KB, 640x635px
>>323310987
The way you talk is kinda terrible and immature sounding, but sure. Go get 'em, kid.

If you come back with something to show for your effort and post without sounding all "lolsorandum" then you might get a better reception. You're certainly not the first aspiring dev to come here of all places looking for serious advice.
>>
>>323311978
I can't think properly. I havent Slept in the last 32 - 33 hours. Not used to this. Welp cya daddylmao. love ya <3.
>>
File: Ayy+lmao_2ee59a_5212335.jpg (40KB, 500x445px) Image search: [Google]
Ayy+lmao_2ee59a_5212335.jpg
40KB, 500x445px
>>323312389
If you're serious about it, come back when you've done more work and are looking for more serious help.

I'm just a ayy lmao shitposting nobody but I am playtesting one local indie dev's game that got kickstarted, so I can at least put that on my resume.

G'night.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.