[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about this game and why is it so good? I just pirated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: top-100-rpgs_grandia-ii[1].jpg (89KB, 628x360px) Image search: [Google]
top-100-rpgs_grandia-ii[1].jpg
89KB, 628x360px
Can we talk about this game and why is it so good?

I just pirated this game after getting massively let down by Trails in the Sky (everyone raved about the world building, story, writing and all that while in reality the game was a stale, boring, uninteresting snorefest), and man this one is so good compared to TitS in every single aspect.

You have the same long winded NPC conversations like in TitS but in this one they're actually funny and/or interesting, the world building is just as good, the characters are much better (the main character especially is quite different from your typical JRPG protagonist), the music is nothing special but much better than TitS and also the graphics despite being still outdated have more charm than TitS' generic gray and green everything.

I'm just 15 hours in but so far this game has delivered more than TitS in nearly 30 before I dropped it.
>>
Eh, I liked the story of Grandia 1 much more. 2 was alright.
>>
It has an incredible battle theme.
>>
>>323293852
One of my favourite dreamcast games. The fight system felt pretty exciting at the time and the valmar parts were mad cool.
Some great waifus too.
>>
>>323293992
I played Grandia 1 ages ago but I honestly don't remember it too well. What makes G1 better than G2? I remember G1 was pretty simple (kids save the world, ancient civilization stuff) but at the same time charming, kind of like older snes rpgs.

By the way, the battle system is probably the best turn based variation in the genre. I just love this battle system, it's only surpassed by recent Tales of.
>>
File: image.png (327KB, 400x410px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
327KB, 400x410px
Hnngh
>>
File: grandia1.jpg (236KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
grandia1.jpg
236KB, 600x450px
>>323294276
Personally, I just really like the adventure-vibe it gives off, compared to 2. In 1, your adventure starts because you want to be an Adventurer, and you get to experience Justins story from beginning to end. In 2 however, the MC (forgot his name) is already someone with experience, and it feels like you're jumping in the middle of it.
It also has one of the strongest atmospheric moments in the genre, namely the end of disc 1 (ps1 version).
>>
>>323293852
You played Trails for 30 hours before deciding you didn't like it? Sounds suspicious. Also I find it a little weird that we bought the same games during the sale, OP.
>>
>>323294276
I think a lot of it is preference of tone G1 was, for the most part, a very light-hearted adventure with heavy themes of exploration, friendship and chasing dreams. Yes, a save the world kinda runs underneath everything, but it never feels like that's what the game is really about.

That and I thought the dungeons were better designed, particularly the Dom Ruins and The End of the World.
>>
>>323295313
Not OP, but TiTS is so slow that 30 hours sounds reasonable. I gave up after 10 hours, the combat system and generic characters/story just pissed me off.
>>
File: c0WcV.jpg (38KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
c0WcV.jpg
38KB, 250x250px
>MC is just another generic swordsman with most uninteresting abilities in a game featuring cool over the top magic animations
>>
Someone gifted it to me on Christmas. I'm 10 hours in and im pretty bored. The story isn't great, the characters are simply unlikeable. The combat and music are pretty nice though.

I don't see myself playing it much longer. I usually love any jrpg but ugh. Maybe I'm just burnt out.
>>
>>323293852

So you played Trails in the Sky for 30 hours? You should be at Grancel already by that time, where shit hits the fan.

And please, your cross-fanbase shitposting is so transparent its hilarious.
>>
>>323293852

I find the game to be alright. It kinda shot itself in the foot during the latter half of the game. Millenia was the only interesting character to be honest.
>>
I have a feeling OP doesn't really want to discuss Grandia II
>>
The most overrated jrpg on /v/, only second to Tales of Abyss maybe.
It's not bad, just really mediocre.

Also game freezes somewhere in the last qurater of the game for me on ps2. Shit sucks.

Grandia 3 is vastly better desu.
>>
PS2 one sucks balls. I swear the framerate hits single digits in towns sometimes. I had to get that off my chest, I no longer own my DC so I have to play either PS2 one or fork over 20 bucks for AE which I'm told is buggy as fuck to begin with.

When I run this, I usually like to stack +ACT book skills on Ryudo and VIT on Mareg, put a Counter Attack skill on either one of them, and Skilled Item Use and Item Recovery on Elena for her free staff magic cast. Then the team becomes walking doom. The thing with this game is that you don't need to use any items at all besides the Golden Statue you get at the beginning, so money is not really hard to come by.
>>
Who the fuck cares how you got the game OP?
>>
>>323297518
RPGs fandoms in general are half filled of weeaboo waifu faggots.
>>
>>323295640
He's an atheist with a wicked sense of humor.
>>
>>323296942
If I really wanted to cross-fanbase shitpost I wouldn't pick on two literally who games, I'd start something like Xenoblade against FF or Bloodborne against Souls, wouldn't I?

Other than that, if I wasn't in the middle of a good Lumines run I'd post a photo of my save on the PSP which has 25+ hours on it. I also did a few hours on the PC before I decided to play it on the PSP for additional comfyness.

I have t give something to TitS though, it has the superior world building, for example, they even explain to you what Orbments are and how they work, in Grandia what the fuck even are mana eggs?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.