[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yahtzee's Monster Hunter Tri review was completely justified

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

Yahtzee's Monster Hunter Tri review was completely justified and you know it. No game should have a six hour long tutorial.
>>
yahtzee's still around, huh? wow
>>
>>323220635
>Yahtzee's Monster Hunter Tri review was completely justified

>a comedy series to be taken seriously

He tackles some points here and there but it's mostly to get some chuckles.
>>
>>323220635
The game lasts hundreds and hundreds of hours. You need a strong foundation.
>>
It's not like any MH game gets any better once the tutorial is over. They're mediocre skinner boxes and you should feel bad for being tricked into liking them.
>>
>>323220635
Monster Hunter is a high-skill game and if you're not a fucking casual you'd realize the value of a game that teaches you the ropes before throwing you into the real shit.
I bet you've never played a Monster Hunter, let alone made it out of middle low rank.
>>
I just wish that they would ask a basic question at the start to check if you're familiar with the series or not.

>Lan, I see you've saved the world 4 times already, but let's just go over the basics of virus busting one more time.
>>
>>323220945
It lasts hundreds of hours due to the insane amount of grinding required to get some of the shit and the fact that the average player is going to be having 30 minute battles until they git gud enough to learn a monster down to the point where it takes 5 minutes with decent gear.
>>
>>323220635
It's justified to say that a game should not have a 6 hour long tutorial.
It's not however to base the entire review on that one fact because it means the review is incomplete. If he complained about the tutorial, then made it to Lagiacrux and said he still thought the game sucked, he'd at least have seen the actual meat of the game.
>>
>>323221645
the dresden files of video games
>>
>>323221645
Not even if you're familiar with the series, all tutorials should ask period so you're covered for replays too.
>>
>>323220635
>yahtzee

hello reddit!
>>
>>323221591
DMC3 is a high-skill game and it doesn't have a 7-hour tutorial before you get to any real action.
>>
>>323223089
No it isn't. To be fair, neither is Monster Hunter.
However, there is a lot more to the gameplay mechanics of Monster Hunter, and it's a much bigger game in general, with hundreds of hours of play, if not thousands.
A seven hour tutorial is definitely justified, I think.
>>
>>323223089
DMC3 is only combat. You're an idiot.
>>
>>323220635
Except the only people who take 6 hours on Monster Hunter Tutorial stages are people who fucking need that damn tutorial.

For those of us who have been playing Monster Hunter for several games now, the tutorial stages are breezed through and nothing more then a minor inconvenience. Yes it would be nice to not have to fuck with the, "go get me a well done steak," but eh?
>>
>>323221591
>>323220945
This would be a valid point if you weren't grilling and gathering and fighting small monsters for most the tutorial.
>>
>>323223886
Grilling and gathering are important things to know. That said it's fine to think the tutorial should have been shorter, it's not to think that even if it were longer and more boring that it's okay to judge the entire game based off of it.
>>
File: You better believe.jpg (83KB, 818x635px) Image search: [Google]
You better believe.jpg
83KB, 818x635px
My only problem is the way the tutorials are structured in Tri.

There's a bunch of useless fluff text and boring walking in empty areas to teach you just one thing. Then they'll teach you the next thing on a completely separate mission with more fluff shit. Not to mention that the text pauses the gameplay.

It can all be done in the same mission.
>>
>>323224191

To be fair, Tri was the first Monster Hunter game for a large portion of the west. Before Tri monster hunter was largely a niche game with a small market.
>>
>>323225040

That doesn't invalidate anything I said.

Tri's tutorial could have been far more entertaining and keeping the player interested if it wasn't done in such a shit fashion.
>>
>>323220635

Yeah, thankfully the cut down on the boring starter quests in later games.

I don't understand why wyvern eggs/powderstone/etc quests still exist, though. They're so damn boring.
>>
>>323220635
It's less than an hour long if you're not a retard.
>>
File: 2pousg0.jpg (39KB, 456x440px) Image search: [Google]
2pousg0.jpg
39KB, 456x440px
why doesn't this game have lock on
>>
>>323225202

I believe the massive surge of popularity for Monster Hunter in the west kinda does invalidate your points.

If the tutorial was so bad as you say it was then most gamers would have dropped the game shortly into it. But they didnt...and now we have a steady supply of Monster Hunter games coming to the west, and arguably one of the biggest reasons for the 3ds' dominance this gen.

The tutorial was fine. Sure it was slow and clunky in retrospect, but thats only because were so used to Monster Hunter games now. At the time it was perfect. It slowly introduced every single aspect of the game in a way that let even novice gamers understand what they needed to do.
>>
>>323225659

Tradition, Charms, Ores, take your pick.

The powderstone quests have always netted you a high amount of guild rewards for relatively low effort. Combine that with the fact that most people mined on the way up to the stones//eggs, they were really great quests to grind out ores or charms later on.
>>
>>323220635
>six hour long tutorial
Three at most if you aren't a complete retard, two for anyone with a properly functioning brain, one for anyone who actually knows the series, and six ONLY for those who smell the flowers on purpose, in which case it's their fault, not the game's.

The thing that upset me about his Monster Hunter review is that this shit is his job. He has one week to get enough material from the game to work with and then write something witty. Where he got in the game and the quality of his writing for that episode suggested that he didn't put much time in at all.

Honestly, I expected him to shit on Monster Hunter. Shitting on it isn't what bothered me. That's part of the charm of his show.

It's that he didn't put in the time or effort to do his job properly and came out with a lacklustre episode for what at the time was my spectacular first entry into the series, and I was disappointed because it was, for me, the first real episode I'd seen where he'd completely and totally just fucked it up on account of what I can only assume to be laziness.

I didn't expect him to love it. I didn't expect him to like it. I didn't even expect him to be neutral with it. But I trusted him to be as fair as one can expect from him and his show, and to do his job, and was sorely burned.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. He couldn't even finish Resident Evil: Revelations, claiming that you required absolute mastery of the dodge mechanic to even stand a chance against the final boss. I suppose I began to resent him because he has come to represent a massive shitter in the industry to me.

>>323220869
>comedy series
Am I incorrect in remembering that he called himself / his show to be a reviewer / reviews at some point?

I mean I know comedy is part of the series, but at one point I was under the impression that he considered himself legit.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.