[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this the biggest disappointment in vidya history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

File: SPORE-PC-600x300.jpg (23KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
SPORE-PC-600x300.jpg
23KB, 600x300px
Was this the biggest disappointment in vidya history?
>>
Spore > ME3 > DN Forever > MGSV
>>
Mgsv
>>
I didn't see any of the trailers / hype / or reviews and got it about a year after release.

I thought it was a really good game, lots of customisations. Although the only good modes was creature and space.

The galaxy size for the time was mindblowing.

Overall I really liked it. Spent lots of hours on it.
>>
>>323184603
you mean that as from the best game to the worst or from most disappointing to the least?
>>
>>323184450
Mine personally? SotS2.
>>
>>323184450
There were only 2 disappointments in Spore.
1. The lack of a Fish stage for that sexy 3D swimming.
2. The fact that the game was so simple worked heavily against it pre-space.
The Cell stage was fun as hell for many run throughs.
Creature stage was fun for a run or 2.
Tribal was interesting for 1 run, but felt like a "do the exact same thing over and over again" mechanic 2nd+ runs.
Civ stage was mediocre my first time through, it was clear Economic was best and you could just cheat the system by making a preset pure speed vehicle and a pure power vehicle and then speed for all the mines, then speed for travel and then switch them all to pure power to go conquer that one Economic city, then back to speed and buy everyone.

Space Stage was easily the best, especially with the Expansion pack. Go around, be the alien and do whatever, find the center of the universe, and win.

Fuck, now I want to play again.
>>
Nothing will ever surpass Phantom Pain. Ever.
>>
Rome II
>>
No, Mega Man Legends 3 being cancelled was
>>
>>323184450
It was a little funny game, worth the pirate
>>
Dayz. After years of the mod and then the standalone 'game' I see that it's just a directionless pile of shit that they have no idea what to do with
>>
>>323187189
really they should have just not bothered with any of the pre-space content, it was so simplified and shitty it wasn't worth playing
>>323187440
>tfw first main Total War that I didn't buy
why did you do it CA? why?
>>
>>323188759
Honestly, Cell is good, even after a bunch of runs.
There's a reason shit like Agar.io is so popular.
Fish stage, I.E. when you enter a 3D version of Cell, would've been about the same, but probably hurt the feel of Cell, since it's the same thing: eat plants/other animals and try not to die.

Creature-Civ really were weak as hell, cause the gameplay was identical even though it seemed like it had options.
>Weak ass MMO mode
>Weak ass RTS mode
>Weak ass Civ mode
>Really polished, high tier space mode that's like a 4X game.
>>
>>323184450
>biggest disappointment
>sonic 06
>destiny
>pick
>>
>>323185378
>This
and then I found out about what it could've been

Spore is a good game in itself, nothing too great, but fun
But Spore was originally designed as a game that would be so much better in every aspect
>>
File: 1451514571525.png (159KB, 476x345px) Image search: [Google]
1451514571525.png
159KB, 476x345px
>>323189174

>space stage
>polished

That shit had almost zero depth to it. Exploring the galaxy quickly loses its appeal once you realize that there is fucking nothing to do, and building a large empire is annoying since you only have one ship for whatever reason. Since getting to the core is so easy, the only real goal is destroying the Grox, which itself is so boring and tedious that there is almost no point in doing it.

>>323189713

Destiny doesn't even begin to approach the level of disappointment that Spore had achieved. It was supposed to be Will Wright's magnum opus.

What we got instead was a shallow mockery of what was promised.
>>
>>323190204
>destroying the Grox
Only if you are a scrub. A real man befriends the demons at the heart of the galaxy.
>>
>>323184450
>>323185378
>>323190204

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA
>>
>>323190446

But again, whats the point? Its not like the rest of the galaxy is any threat if you bothered to put defenses on your colonies.

Maybe the space stage would be interesting if they actually implemented the galaxy editor

>>323190730

Please no
>>
File: sadness.png (126KB, 1267x686px) Image search: [Google]
sadness.png
126KB, 1267x686px
>>323184450
Oh boy time to post this shit again
>>
File: sadness 2 the saddening.png (400KB, 1262x2347px) Image search: [Google]
sadness 2 the saddening.png
400KB, 1262x2347px
>>323192103
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA
>>
>>323190204
>the only real goal is destroying the Grox, which itself is so boring and tedious that there is almost no point in doing it.
Not to mention it's actually impossible unless you mod the game. You can't reach all the star systems the Grox inhabit unless you modify the maximum travel distance of the ship engine upgrades.
>>
File: 1452126083896.jpg (45KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1452126083896.jpg
45KB, 600x600px
>>323192103
>God stage
>Have the ability to develop an underwater civilization
>You used to have the ability to create plants
>Molecular stage
>none of these are in the main game
JUST
>>
File: Daikatanabox.jpg (67KB, 410x500px) Image search: [Google]
Daikatanabox.jpg
67KB, 410x500px
I think this one ranks out there, but you sound like an old Vietnam veteran when you explain it.
>You don't know, maaan. You weren't there! You don't know what went on!
After Quake everybody KNEW that we were looking at a new great game. There wasn't any doubt.
>>
>>323192829
To be honest, if I could change one thing vidya related, it would be publishers as a whole.
Publishers would generally take a back seat to Developers, deadlines would still be enforced, but be infinitely broader and less restrictive so as to allow developers to better realize their goals.
This would make games that are bad potentially good, Spore being a MAJOR example, and bad games that were well finished in their deadlines the same piles of shit with no major difference except maybe cut one potential post-launch patch as late-period bugfixes.
>>
>>323193221
I feel like most anons missed out entirely on that era and don't really understand the shit surrounding it. Consoles were shit around that time but pc was hitting a new peak of awesome. You really did have to be there to understand the expectations.
>>
>>323193251
Can you foot the half a million dollars a day to do that? I agree that there should be less focus group testing and lowest common denominator pandering, but that's the most you could ever expect. What you want could only be done with smaller teams and much lower standards than even ea has currently.
>>
i would say destiny but i wasn't retarded enough to think it would be good in the first place. titanfall was pretty disappointing and all i wanted was good cod with mechs and it was a shitty cod that had bots for some fucking reason in every match with mechs.
>>
File: silent1.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
silent1.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
motherfucking this
>>
video games
>>
>>323184450
I'm shocked this game is listed at 50 dollars on Steam.
>>
Destiny
Bioshock infinite
Spore
>>
Final Fantasy X.
>>
>spore
>daikatana
>duke nukem forever
>diablo 3

I think this is the biggest ones.
>>
File: 1451782277216.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451782277216.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
>>323199564
It still hurts
>>
File: 1449231298496.jpg (81KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1449231298496.jpg
81KB, 960x720px
>>323199564
Why did you remind me?!
>>
>>323199564
Okay, so they cancelled the new game. SH fans are used to being disappointed.
But why did they have to remove PT? That's just kicking people when they're down.
>>
>>323184450
yup
>>
>>323200015
>rushed out months after the release of FFIX
>given no especially large amount of hype
>no big buildup to its release
how was FFX a huge disappointment?
>>
>>323184450
Yes.

My personal biggest disappointment was Warhammer Online
>>
>>323193221
>After Quake everybody KNEW that we were looking at a new great game. There wasn't any doubt.

what?

anon everybody knew daikatana was going to be bad...everyone knew that john was hack from the first stuff that came out about this game.

did you not use the internet at the time or something? everybody knew daikatana was going to be bad there was no doubt even
>>
>>323192456
On top of that, you have to be an economic civ or else you can't buy out their gas giant holdings.
>>
>>323201520
>did you not use the internet at the time or something? everybody knew daikatana was going to be bad there was no doubt even
less than 50% of homes in the USA in 2000 had any sort of internet whatsoever, and that number dropped a LOT if you go worldwide.
>everybody knew daikatana was going to be bad
u wot? romero released quake and doom, he had a fantastic record going into it, and it was hyped as FUCK, with aggressive, awesome looking advertisements and everyone talking about it.
>>
>>323202203
>romero released quake and doom

...no? by the time daikatana was being made everyone knew the story. that john romero had been "handed his resignation" at id software and he was just a designer. a good level designer, and a contributor to the fashion of doom and quake, but he didn't program and was seen as a destructive influence by the others

>blah blah internet in 2000

why would you be talkinga bout being a grizzled veteran of the quake era if you didnt have internet? lol you werent even a part of the quake era if you werent online.

>awesome looking advertisements

what? the "john romero is going to make you his bitch" advertisement is universally considered the worst advertisement of all time

>everyone talking about it

talking about how bad it would be, when he hired his girlfriend to be a level designer and she came to #quakeed asking for help getting started.
>>
>>323184450
almost the biggest disappointment
second to PS4

Xbone was fucked from the start but at least Sony tried during announcement.
"60FPS"
"DDR5"
"Share button"
"1080p"
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.