[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never played a Souls game, should I buy Dark Souls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (302KB, 593x906px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
302KB, 593x906px
>>
>>323182179
wait for 3 and prepare to get good
>>
If you can find 1 or 2 cheap then you may as well.
>>
No reason not to play any or all of them if you can, they're all great and still hold up just fine.
>>
Play 1 and bloodborne then wait for 3
>>
Play 2
>>
nice troll, you almost got me
>>
>>323183101
>>323183575
But I can't play Dark Souls 1 because my PC is crap and it's not on the PS4
>>
File: Fresh.png (45KB, 180x190px) Image search: [Google]
Fresh.png
45KB, 180x190px
Play 1
git gud
then wait for 3
>>323183679
post spec
>>
>>323183679
I can run DaS on my toaster with an integrated Intel card with DSfix
>>
Play 1 and Demons Souls. if you wanna play 2, get the Scholar Edition. Also play Bloodborne.
3 is a mix of Bloodborne, 1, and demons souls
>>
>>323183826
>>323183954

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.5GHz
4,0GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
>>
>>323184115
I have slightly better toaster and it runs fine most of the time.
>>
File: purchase date jan 3.png (33KB, 623x181px) Image search: [Google]
purchase date jan 3.png
33KB, 623x181px
>>323182179
I had never played a Souls game
I can highly recommend it
>>
File: DS pepe.png (588KB, 1000x714px) Image search: [Google]
DS pepe.png
588KB, 1000x714px
If you're going to play any souls game at all, please let it be Dark Souls 1 and not the second one.
>>
>>323182179
Buy the first one.
>>
>>323184428
How far have you gotten?
>>
>>323182179
1 i a great game, but a shit port
2 is a good game, good port

if you ask me, get both
>>
>>323184428
hope you had a good time and you got gud.
>>
Play 1 and 2, Scholar edition on the latter.

1 is better but 2 is still fun.
>>
Avoid DS2 altogether.

Play DS1/DeS/BB

Seriously, DS2 is fucking garbage compared to the other Souls games. Don't listen to the people with shit taste.
>>
>hey guys i haven't ever played a [insert godtier game series] game, should I play the upcoming sequel?

Jesus Christ, play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls
>>
File: G8LNOeN.gif (992KB, 320x184px) Image search: [Google]
G8LNOeN.gif
992KB, 320x184px
What are you looking forward to in DS3?
Personally, i'm looking forward to the weapon arts and the armours
>>
>>323184554
I'm currently at O&S. They don't fuck around, but I'm making progress on them.

>>323184609
The only time that hasn't been fun was when I had to do Sen's fortress again because I didn't get the fucking bonfire in Anor Londo.
Don't be dumb, kids.
>>
>>323184946
>O&S used to buttfuck me every time
>can consistently one shot them now
what happen
>>
>>323184872
A real sequel to 1.
But mostly hyper mode.
Power within and redstone ring equivalent.
Morion blade would be nice.
>>
>>323184872
I'm not OP but I'm implying that your question is directed to people who played the previous games.

Personally I can't wait for weapon arts and bosses. If they will be on The Old Hunters level the game is gonna be awesome.
>>
>>323184872
Getting that far in just 30 hours on first playthough is impressive. They're pretty much the biggest skill check in the game. Just make sure you are patient and keep one of them at a distance at all times.
>>
>>323185221
was meant for
>>323184946
>>
>>323184664
DS2 is still better than 90% of games out there. It's the weakest Souls installment but the game is well beyond playable. But keep parroting the /v/ meme like a good little boy.
>>
>>323185523
Is it though?
DS2 felt tedious and repetitive due to the constant gank squad enemies, uninspired enviroments and the dull atmosphere.
>>
File: 2016-01-08_00004.jpg (194KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-08_00004.jpg
194KB, 1280x720px
>>323185173
you git'd gud

>>323185221
I didn't know a LOT going in, but I knew more than I'd have probably liked. The usual things,
>be naked
>dodge city
plus I'd seen people play. Not enough that I knew the environment or anything, but I'd seen people successfully kill things so right off I had an idea what to do.

pic is my best attempt on O&S so far. haven't been tracking how many attempts / how long I've been working at them. so far have only gotten ornstein dead twice; pic is the second time it happened, I think.
>>
>>323186442
2h your weapon the whole fight and use grass crest
>>
>>323186442
You're doing great , focus on damage.
Also what is your halbert upgrade level and your stat related to it.
>>
>>323186702
yeah I did a couple pulls with that. Right now though blocking with ..whatever the fuck that shield is, a greatshield? is like a safety net crutch for me.
might go more with grass & 2hand when I pick up again.

this shits been great mostly because I'm not being a frustration rager & I'm actually taking breaks instead of running my head into a wall hours on end. I usually complain like a bitch over the stupidest shit but I guess knowing that every death is because of my inputs, not because of a dice roll, really helps the perspective.
>>
File: THE TRUTH.png (274KB, 1659x897px) Image search: [Google]
THE TRUTH.png
274KB, 1659x897px
don't open this
don't read this
save yourself
don't read the truth
>>
>>323182179
Souls 2 is shit. Get souls 1.
>>
>>323186983
raw+5. str is something like 21 and dex is like 16, I don't remember.

tempted to ask if my level (like, 30?) is normal for this encounter but at the same time fuck you, shut up, I like doing this shit blind.

>usually looking up character builds all the time
>usually nose deep in a guide
this has been such a great change of pace.
>>
>>323187008
That's the right way to go honestly. Whenever ive been stuck on a boss for a long time i put the controller down, do something else and get back at it when i feel like im ready again. Usually get it on my first try after taking a break for a couple of hours or days.
>>
>>323187008
Just avoid hits altogether and poke like >>323186702 said.
Try to not get impatient but don't be reckless.

>>323187320
level 30 is very good.
however be carefull about raw.
I did the same mistake one my first playthrough.
You upgrade with less ressources for slightly better base damage but your scaling get worse.
>>
I haven't played DaS2 but looking at the wiki it seems to have pretty bad lore compared to DaS1. What happened?
>>
>>323187320
30 is doable most people are 40-50 in that area
>>
>>323182179

Start with 2, then one, then bloodborne, then 3

You can also throw demon souls somewhere in there.
>>
>>323187329
perfect example for me was the gargoyle boss.
>oh fuck there's a second one? ahhh shit, alright, I'll hit this shit later.
next day I killed it flawlessly.

also, during the encounter, the first time I chopped its tail off I was so baffled and amused that I died

>>323187578
yeah the ... shit, did I wiki it? I think I wiki'd the raw vs std but I knew about the scaling trade off. I haven't paid attention to where the tipping point is, though, and just kinda assumed I was early game / low stats. I think next time I boot up I'll burn some souls upgrading my standard pole and do a comparison.
>>
>>323184115
You're good, just get DSfix if you don't want your framerate raped by particle effects.

Also make sure you have a controller
>>
>>323184115
give it a go, i've seen it run on worse
>>
>>323182179
Play DaS 1. Maybe 2. Also Demon's and Bloodborne.

Really it should go Demon's > Dark > BB. II is completely optional because it kind of blows and doesn't add jack shit to the series.

Dark isn't quite as good as Demon's overall but made improvements in a few areas. Bloodborne is dex build: the game and is like a faster, bloodier Demon's Souls but in a Victorian era of that world.

Play DaS on a PC (shouldn't take a very good one), snag a used PS3 for Demon's (and DaS if your PC just can't). You need a PS4 for BB but you could also play SOTFS on it if your PC is a toaster.
>>
>>323184664
You're hilarious
>>
>>323182179
Play Demon's Souls first if you have a ps3, then Dark Souls and after that give Dark Souls 2 a try but know that it's not as good as the other ones.

Bloodborne is a nice spin-off game but it can feel painfully simple compared to the other games since it's more action oriented.
>>
File: viper_kill_yourself_man.jpg (928KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
viper_kill_yourself_man.jpg
928KB, 1536x2048px
>I've never played a Souls game, should I buy Dark Souls 2 or just wait for 3

what the fuck play Demons souls first pleb
>>
>>323188459
>painfully simple compared to the other games

What makes the other games any more complicated? I never used a shield in DaS anyway and the side-steps are such a sexy mechanic that it feels stupidly simple and slow playing without them.

Using the 2-hand transformation of my weapon in BB basically puts me in the same position I've always been in in Souls games, except with greatly increased mobility.
>>
I played Dark Souls first, and didn't get very far at all.

I quit, and decided to try Dark Souls 2 SOTFS edition when I got my next gen console.

And, it took me quite a bit of a time considering I quit playing a few different times, for months at a time.

But, man it seemed like everytime I picked it back up, I'd get so much further.

I haven't dared to start my New Game + yet, but by golly gosh it was the best recent singleplayer gaming experience I've had since Final Fantasy X.

Would highly recommend, now I'm just waiting for Dark Souls to get on Xbox Backwardsd compatability list, so I can try and finish that one too.
>>
>>323187697
Miyazaki wasnt on the team who made DS2. The team was instead lead by another guy. After a year of working on DS2, from soft had a meeting with the team to check up on everything. Turns out everything was going in the wrong direction so they had to replace the guy who lead the team with another guy who had one year to finalize DS with the assets he had on hand.
>>
>>323187767
actually loaded game up. i remembered wrong, i'm 40.

>>323186983
16-24-21-17 vit-end-str-dex if you're still curious
>>
>>323188742
It doesn't have nearly as many weapon upgrading options and no armor upgrading and less stats.

The weapons do have wider movesets though but I don't think that's enough to balance out the things they took away from bloodborne.
>>
Has anyone done a SL1 playthrough?
Im about to finish mine and I just have Seath and Gwyn left.

Have been trying to invade people in the Parish with no luck. Anyone else playing on PS3?
>>
>>323188972
well aren't you just a terrible human
>>
>>323189452
DaS had less than Demon's and nobody really cared. The stats in Souls games don't govern fucking anything except for weapon damage and how much armor you can wear, there's really no need for them to be as varied as they are. I mean they trimmed it down again for BB and there are still useless stats.

As they were in DaS, stats only served to give people something to min/max. There were no RPG mechanics, no reason to do ANYTHING with those stats other than absolutely optimize them for damage output.

Really the only "options" you have in any of these titles is what produces the highest numbers at the end. Weapon upgraded to +15 regular Titanite, optimal stats for that weapon. It was really more of a chore than anything, since the combat was all about player ability and your stats played no role other than pumping out a bigger number when you did the exact same shit you'd be doing either way.

It's even stupid and arbitrary in Bloodborne. You have a point about the weapon and armor upgrades, but those have been disappearing since Demon's Souls, which had way more options for upgrade paths, more than one of which was relevant instead of Dark's system of just having one path trump the rest of them completely.
>>
>>323187697

Is it really that bad? It just seems a bit excessive.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.