[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Nintendo choose to have this format? And what effects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: Disc.jpg (34KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
Disc.jpg
34KB, 500x438px
Why did Nintendo choose to have this format? And what effects does it have on game development?
>>
>>323161294
Gimmicks.

/thread
>>
>>323161294
Their attempt at making it harder to pirate games.

I've heard some people say the size of the discs made reading them 4 times faster than DVDs, but I have no idea if that's true.
>>
File: slaggythisisntfeed.jpg (52KB, 640x458px) Image search: [Google]
slaggythisisntfeed.jpg
52KB, 640x458px
>i stuck my little weenie inside a gamecube cd
>mfw my dick went hard hard and got stuck
>had to break my copy of super mario sunshine to save my penis

Probably wasn't worth it, I haven't used my dick once and the CD probably held more value
>>
>>323161502

Kinda the reverse. The common piracy method involved swaping the lid to fit regular sized disc, but a problem that would occur is that the outer edges would not spin fast enough, creating reading problems.
>>
Anti-consumer practices.

Ninty's seal of identity
>>
Pros (for Nintendo): Harder to pirate
Pros (for consumer): Faster loading times
Cons (for developers): Little storage. Proprietary formats are expensive.

Pretty much N64 all over again.
>>
>>323161294
A smaller disk means that it can spin faster
That's why gamecube games run at 60 fps
>>
>>323161294
harder to pirate, and more recognizable.

The disc still could hold over 1GB of data, so it wasn't that big of a handicap for devs used to max of 700mb capacity of CDs.

>>323161502
Since there's less physical space to read data from, it did kinda speed up the loading as well. Plus the read speed was faster than that of typical CD drives at the time.
>>
>>323161768
>Proprietary formats
>>
>>323161886
>The disc still could hold over 1GB of data, so it wasn't that big of a handicap for devs used to max of 700mb capacity of CDs.

So, this shit wouldn't fly these days?
>>
>>323161886
Weren't DVDs already released by that time?
>>
>>323161581
Why don't you wait for yourself to be flaccid you retard
>>
>>323162047

single sided mini dvd is like 1.2gb or something
>>
>>323162047
Think a second, it isn't that hard. PS2 used DVDs. When do you think the PS2 was released?

I guess what he meant to say was that devs were used to make games for the PS1, but that's a stupid thought.
>>
>>323161954
Don't see why wouldn't they. Making a chopped up variant of a BD would hold dozen(s) of gigabytes of data, especially if double-layered, and be quickly read too.

>>323162047
Yes, already back in 1999. PS2 was the first console to utilized DVDs, and it came out around a year earlier.
Nintendo simply wanted to do their own thing and protect their content as hard as possible.
>>
It was done to avoid licensing fees and royalties that came with DVD format and keep the console decently priced.
Nintendo did put out a gamecube in collaboration with Panasonic that could play DVD but the cost of the unit was more than the PS2.
The only real development effects it had was amount of storage and faster reading, the mini disc was limited to 1.4GB while a standard DVD was 4.7GB and the less surface area meant the laser spent less time looking for data.
>>
>>323162204
>I guess what he meant to say was that devs were used to make games for the PS1
And Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, and even PC. I still got some PC games from 2004 or so that came on multiple CDs.

All in all, with the relatively low-resolution content of the early 00s, combined with the already then common compression methods (MPEG / MP3, etc), you could fit a ton of data on a single GC minidisc.
>>
>>323161294
It was unique. Thats the only reason.
The impact it had on game development was limiting file size obviously.

Despite what the tech illiterate retards ITT are saying it has literally nothing to do with piracy. The form factor of these discs is standardize, and nothing about them makes them harder to copy. Nothing about these discs makes load times improve either. How fast an optical drive reads is a function of disc speed and the read head itself. Size of the disc does not factor in at all.
>>
>>323161954
>>323162224
Consoles ever since the last generation have harddrives you install your game in, and that is faster than any optical format. There's no need for stupid bullshit like tiny BDs
>>
>Why did Nintendo choose to have this format?

Arrogance. "We have to use discs now? Fuck you, we're using our OWN discs!"
>>
>>323162430
>Size of the disc does not factor in at all.
Yer kiddin.
Not only can the disc spin faster, but the head has to move less than half the amount.

It's literally the difference between covering a cake and covering a cupcake with the same tools
>>
>>323162630
mini-dvds are a standard format
>>
>>323161886
>The disc still could hold over 1GB of data, so it wasn't that big of a handicap for devs used to max of 700mb capacity of CDs.

This console was from the same gen as the PS2 and Xbox, both using full sized DVDs which meant 4.5gb per disc or even 8gb if dual layer (God of War 2, Xenosaga).

1.2gb for these mini DVD on the GC was an stupid decision. That's barely above the 1gb from Dreamcast's GDs.
>>
>>323162846

A dual layer one can hold 2.66 GB too. That's still less than the others but it's enough.
>>
>>323162846
>Nintendo uses cartridges instead of CDs
>Nintendo uses mini DVDs instead of DVDs or dual layered DVDs
>Nintendo uses DVDs and dual layered DVDs instead of Blurays and dual layered Blurays
>Nintendo uses single layered Blurays and have little flash storage instead of using dual layered Blurays and harddrives.

And every time they run into some sort of problem because of this. It's like they think they don't need it, until they do.
>>
>>323162631
The maximum speed a disc can spin is up to the motor spinning it. A normal form factor DVD can spin over 10,000rpm, something that the Gamecube didn't do. The speed of the read head between the different form factors is entirely moot, data is tracked the same way on each of them, and moving from one sector to another is done in such a short period of time that its pointless to measure.

Tech illiterate retards have no business trying to discuss hardware.
>>
>>323162159
intense pain and I was a special kind of autistic at the age of 15
>>
>>323163061
Was the GC drive capable of reading those? Did any game use them at all?
>>
>>323163148

Because of third parties trying to release decent games on their consoles. Nintendo makes hardware for Nintendo, not for consumers or anyone else.
>>
>>323163256
you could fit your dick in that at the age of 15?

wow im sorry anon
>>
>>323163336

As opposed to Sony, who made the PS2's guts a clusterfuck just to help third parties right?
>>
>>323161294
smaller disc size means seek times would be better but I think the real reason they did it was piracy, and the fact that a smaller disc allowed for a more unique form factor

They held 1.5GB of data which wasn't horrible in 2001. As I understand it the discs are based on DVD so theoretically a dual layer version could have been made, but I don't know if Gamecube would be able to read them.
>>
>>323163195
>A normal form factor DVD can spin over 10,000rpm
So what? You had to have a fucking special drive that would let you get that fast, and some of them even broke the disc in the process. Console DVDs didn't get to 10.000rpm.

>and moving from one sector to another is done in such a short period of time that its pointless to measure.
Reducing the amount of a nano second to half a nano second is still fucking half you retard
>>
>>323162630
I think you mean Sony
>>
>>323163195
Someone here doesn't get the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity
>>
>>323163336
>Nintendo makes hardware for Nintendo
That's why they have to add shit to their cardridges to fit most games. Or why they had to break their neck to make Xenoblade X fit on a single disc, and ask people to buy an external HDD
>>
>>323161746
>outer edges would not spin fast enough
That's not how physics work.
>>
>>323163634

How much shit is there in there that it can't fit in 50GB?
>>
>>323161917
Not all CDs are made the same.

Also You can buy empty DS cards and N64 cartridges as well, doesn't negate the point.
>>
>>323163694
>50gb
Wii U discs are 25gb. If it were 50 then there would not be a problem.
>>
>>323161294
much like with the GC controller, Ninty was in denial about being BTFO in the previous gen and was desperately trying to convince itself that it didn't have to adopt the design sensibilities of its competitors.
>>
>>323163660
The larger the radius, the slower the linear velocity of a rotation even if you are spinning it at the same angular velocity
>>
>>323163762

25 is still plenty rentelyi madras
>>
>>323162378
>Dreamcast
lol, dreamcast could literally play a pirated copy by just patching the ISO before burning it to the disc, you didn't have to mod the console or anything.
>>
>>323161581
>>
>>323163790
Mmmm hmmmm.
>>
>>323163660
You're dumb.
>>
>>323163835
Of course it's plenty, but that's not how development work. When computers had a couple of kilobytes of memory, optimizing was extremely important. Now it doesn't matter if a basic calculator takes up 100 mb of RAM.
Now it doesn't matter if a 2D fighter takes up 10 gb. Now it doesn't matter if that 2D fighter requires a modern mid-range graphics card.
>>
>>323163547
But Blu-ray was made by multiple companies and ended up in all 3 current gen consoles (in some form)

I know you were referring to Memory stick and vita bullshit though
>>
>>323164059

Thinking optimization is pointless is what got MGS4 to cost 50GB of space for 4 hours of game and made 720p at 30 fps the acceptable standard for 2015 console releases.
Games have always been high performance applications, optimization has always been core.
>>
>>323163790
disregard that, I suck cocks.
It's the other way around. Angular velocity increases with the decrease of radius if you're going to maintain it at the same linear velocity.
>>
>>323164290
MGS4 took up so much space because of stupid DTS Master Audio
>>
>>323162631
>Literally
So you're saying a GameCube used less frosting than a PS2?
>>
>>323164180

But PS3 was the first to use the format, and Sony went out of their way to market the PS3 as an excellent blu-ray player before and during launch.
>>
>>323162159
It wouldn't go flaccid after being cut off like that, it would only turn purple.
>>
>>323161294

Harder to pirate thats it

And i guess not paying to get a dvd license

Effects on videogames....
Well it could hold pretty much GB so it had no downsides
>>
>>323164290
>Thinking optimization is pointless is what got MGS4 to cost 50GB of space
I think most current-gen developers are wasting massive amounts of space on PS4 and Xbox One. Why the fuck does Halo 5 require 64GB of hard drive space?
>>
>>323161294
really love small disk like that.
>>
>>323161294
Not paying Sony for the DVD license, same reason the N64 was cartridge based.
>>
>>323161768
>Pros (for Nintendo): Harder to pirate
every internet cafe I went to had pirate gamecube games
>>
>>323165307
>Not paying Sony for the DVD license

Sony doesn't get money from DVD licensing.

>same reason the N64 was cartridge based

They also didn't get money from CD licensing.
>>
>>323165406
harder, not impossible.
>>
>>323161294
Shit storage space and don't have to pay higher fees to use the discs

"Harder to pirate" is bullshit, you can dump a Gamecube disc without any modding with specific DVD drives. Or if you had a copy of PSO and that broadband adaptor addon, you can use an exploit to dump whatever game that's in the disc drive to a PC over the internet.
>>
>>323165869
The main thing about anti-piratism was the fact that you couldn't just burn the data on a regular CD / DVD and slap it into the console, like you almost could with PS1.
>>
>>323161581
>>323163256
hahahhaha thanks m8

my sides, jesus.
>>
>>323161294
So the plastic ring could crack faster forcing you do buy more copies
>>
>>323166379
Fucking hell, don't remind me.
I lost my copy of melee because it got a crack in the plastic ring and got worse as I kept playing
>>
>>323164316
Remember figure skaters man.
>>
File: 1352668240039.jpg (31KB, 252x435px) Image search: [Google]
1352668240039.jpg
31KB, 252x435px
>>323161581
thanks for the laff m8

>tfw I wanted to shove my dick into a PET bottle
>there would have been no way to break it
>shame and regret all over the place

I'm fucking glad I never did it
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (184KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
184KB, 1920x1080px
>>323161294
It's more elegant than having a 12cm disc with a console of the same size. Also less surface to scratch and easier to hold.
>>
>The GameCube Game Disc is a 1.5 GB, 8 cm miniDVD based technology which reads at a constant angular velocity (CAV). It was chosen by Nintendo to prevent copyright infringement of its games, to reduce cost by avoiding licensing fees to the DVD Forum and to reduce loading times.
Wikipedia.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.