[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else think it's tonally dissonant to make the gunplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

File: Fallout_4_cover_art[1].jpg (34KB, 238x293px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_4_cover_art[1].jpg
34KB, 238x293px
Anyone else think it's tonally dissonant to make the gunplay really satisfying and easy like it is? Also, it makes no logical sense for the female PC to be able to use guns so well immediately.
>>
Made no fucking sense for you to be able to use a gun in fallout three either but I don't remember anyone complaining.
>>
>>323116220
I never played those games so I wouldn't complain about them.
>>
Made no fucking sense that you could beat fallout2 by literally barking and grunting at people but I don't remember anyone complaining
>>
>>323115807
>Anyone else think it's tonally dissonant to make the gunplay really satisfying and easy like it is?
You mean, dissonant in contrast to the rest of the game being shit? I guess.
>>
>>323116530
I never played those games so I wouldn't complain about them.
>>
>>323116272>>323116272

Well then your grivence is based on a lack of knowledge of the series.
Shut up
>>
>>323116661
So because the other games did it it's fine? It's still a flaw regardless.
>>
>>323115807
It makes no fucking sense for a female to be able to fight super mutants with a sledge hammer.
It also makes no fucking sense for either character to shrug off being shot in the face.
It also makes no fucking sense that power armor needs batteries and is about as effective at protecting you as a positive attitude.
This is the worst fallout yet if you want things that make sense.
>>
>>323116752
>so because the other games aren't realistic it's fine?
yeah.
>>
>>323117025
>It makes no fucking sense for a female to be able to fight super mutants with a sledge hammer.
>It also makes no fucking sense for either character to shrug off being shot in the face.
This happens in all Fallouts ever.
>>
>>323117217
I'm not asking for realism. I'm asking for consistency in tone and logical reasons behind the conceits of the game.
>>
>>323117257
As another anon said, it's still a flaw in the series and in my opinion the game would be better if being shot in the face or being a woman had more impact.
>>
>>323117257
That means it's canon :->)
>>
File: 1451556250308.gif (875KB, 250x231px) Image search: [Google]
1451556250308.gif
875KB, 250x231px
>>323115807
>makes no logical sense
>a fucking video game
>>
>>323117456
>it's still a flaw in the series
It really isn't.
>>
>>323116220
except for when you get a BB gun for your birthday

and your gun jams at low skill
>>
>>323117628
In my opinion it is, it makes the game garbage.
>>
>>323117785
Well good thing your opinion doesn't matter at all then, or we wouldn't have a single good Fallout game!
>>
File: 1408545843741.jpg (12KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
1408545843741.jpg
12KB, 250x236px
>Women are incapableof shooting guns
>Women are incapable of surviving any combat situation whatsoever

Nice sexism, OP.
>>
>>323116640
THIS NIGGA KNOWS WHATS UP
>>
>>323117606
There are games that make sense.
They're generally viewed as better games.
Cheesy gamey shit is slowly being phased out adn it's good for the medium, arcade shit needs to die along with the niggers who support it.
>>
>>323117937
There are good Fallout games?
>>
>>323117652
>and your gun jams at low skill

No it dosen't.
>>
>>323118058
I thought you're just a teenager who's into this REALISTIC SURVIVAL GAMEPLAY OMG shit, but you're just baiting. Carry on, my gaywad son.

>>323118154
1, 2, New Vegas.
>>
>>323118194
>half finished Obsidian product the deviates from established series tropes into retarded cowboys vs legionaires faggotry
>good
pick one.
>>
>It made no sense that YOUR CHARACTER gets to do this thing well because of something besides the stats you gave them

Fallout after 2 isn't fucking Arcanum, it's not a serious RPG. Genders shouldn't affect stats.
>>
>>323118365
Sorry, I don't argue with stupid people.
>>
>>323118586
I do.
>>
File: 81805427.jpg (64KB, 538x482px) Image search: [Google]
81805427.jpg
64KB, 538x482px
>>323118575
>Genders shouldn't affect stats.
>>
>>323118575
>Arcanum
>serious RPG
>women get more Con

>>323118821
It shouldn't.
>>
-4 STR
>>
>get those guys back from concordia or whatever the fuck
>spend 2 hours trying to set up the fucking settlement
i gave up and haven't played since
>>
>>323118879
I couldn't disagree harder. Women are as weak as children compared to men. Games that don't even bother to simulate that are hardly worth your time.
>>
>>323115807
http://vocaroo.com/i/s16z4VmCL6kS
>>
>>323115807
Who is to say she wasn't a military lawyer? All branches have them.
>>
>>323119152
>Games that don't even bother to simulate that
Games shouldn't bother to simulate anything unless they're simulators. Anyway, you can just dump Str in any point-buy RPG if you're playing as a women.
>>
>>323117628
>>323117606
>game is supposed to be immersive and is supposed to get you to buy into the world
>initial story conceit makes no sense

>>323118010
The woman PC is a lawyer with presumably no experience firing missile launchers and the like.
>>
>>323118821
In a fuckaround RPG like Fallout, you mong.

I'm fine with it if the game's trying to have some fucking depth.

>>323118879
Con isn't Str. It's an abstract representation of both mental fortitude and pain resistance. Women get sick less often and feel less pain then men.
>>
>>323119193
Because she doesn't identify strongly with the flag on the shelf like the male does, she identifies strongly with the law degree and implies that she spent all or most of her time acquiring it.
She was never in the military and anyone who thinks she was is a nigger who doesn't understand the military, 1950s americana, or subtext.
>>
File: 1449006608110.jpg (58KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1449006608110.jpg
58KB, 640x960px
>>323119440
>Fallout is now a "fuckaround RPG"
Thanks Bethesda
>>
>>323119290
>The woman PC is a lawyer with presumably no experience firing missile launchers and the like.

Then why isn't this reflected in the way you play your game? If you're actually role-playing the game, you should be putting yourself into Nora's shoes, doing things that she would realistically do.

If you pick up a missile launcher for the first time, you shouldn't use it how you, the player, already knows it should be used. You should be like "woah, okay, this thing is way too heavy for me to use comfortably without practice". Then when you're trying to shoot something with it, purposely move your aiming reticle all over the place to simulate your character not being able to balance the weapon optimally. Once you use it many times, you can slowly lessen your self-imposed challenges to reflect Nora learning how to use the missile launcher properly.

I swear you guys aren't even trying to roleplay in a ROLE PLAYING GAME, what the hell is wrong with you?
>>
>>323119440
>feel less pain then men
That actually isn't true, you'd know that if you were a proper misogynist. And of course they get sick often, they sit at home doing fuck-all. Arcanum gender differences are a meme and realistically it would be something like -5 to Str, Agi, Con and Cha (because Charisma represents leadership and we all know most women are shit at that as well). But who cares about fucking realism.

>>323119607
It always was. Ever done low-int runs?
>>
>>323117456
-being a woman had more impact

why? what would be the point? Not a fem here, but what would that add besides pissing off a bunch of women?
>>
File: h0heL0t[1].jpg (51KB, 725x820px) Image search: [Google]
h0heL0t[1].jpg
51KB, 725x820px
>>323119440
>i've never played Fallout or any RPG for that matter
>>
>>323119440
>con is mental fortitude
>women have more pain resistance yet having no testosteronis
Fucking tard.
Wisdom is mental fortitude not Con.
Also women only tolerate pain decently when giving birth or about to give birth, the rest of the time their lack of testosterone makes them whiny bitches.
Source: I beat my wife.
>>
>>323118365
lol this guy.
>>
Why don't you guys just purposely give all your female characters low Strength and everything, if playing a woman with high Strength makes you so upset? It's just an option, you don't have to take it. Don't tell me that other people playing the game differently than you actually makes you so upset it ruins your own personal enjoyment of a game. That would just be silly and more than a little bit childish.
>>
>>323120040
This guy gets it.
>>
>>323120040
Because female npcs with statlines that don't match reality, that's why you fucking casual.
>calls others childish
>tells them what to like and not like in vidya
Hippocracy much?
>>
>>323119740
>It always was
only when you want it to be. That's how it should be. It's not in Fallout 4 or any Bethesda Fallouts for that matter.
>>
>>323120243
Female NPCs' statlines represent the intent the writer/designer of said NPC put into it. So if she has 10 Str that means she's a tough bitch or whatever. Except it doesn't because most of the time those statlines are an afterthought at best.

>>323120270
I don't know what this even mean??? Don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit about Bethesda pathetic attempts at Fallout, but when people imply that pre-Beth Fallout was some kind of gritty and realistic survival experience it just shows that they didn't play it.
>>
>>323120243
>female npcs with statlines that don't match reality

But you can't even see those in the game, and NPC SPECIAL don't affect stats to the point where it's noticable unless you're doing mathematical calculations on every hit you receive. And why would you do that?

And furthermore, I completely understand the immersion-breaking of having the female PC being amazing at using weaponry and having 10 Strength as a housewife or whatever, but is it really that hard to believe that a person, male or female, growing up in the wasteland wouldn't have good survival skills? Female and male raiders that we see seem to have the same skillsets, responsibilities, and stats, meaning that they're all training just as hard because they all need to survive. It's the same with everyone else out in the wasteland. With the general destruction of '50s gender roles and the increased danger of the world, everybody is going to need to be able to defend themselves, including women.
>>
>>323120571
>a fuckaround RPG like Fallout
it just shows that you didn't play it.
>>
It's not like small arms are difficult to use, you can go from knowing nothing to being a competent marksman in a few hours of training

Child soldiers are still regularly used in third world countries and seem to have no trouble shooting
>>
>>323120667
>the general destruction of '50s gender roles
Fallout society didn't have 50s gender roles pre-war. According to FO Bible (IIRC) and Sawyer's formspring (RIP) pre-war society was post-sexist. Not like it didn't have any other problems, anyway.

>>323120703
lmao kid
>>
>>323120667
Women generally defend themselves by selling pussy.
I think Fallout would have been a much better game series had they modeled post apocalyptic America after places like Liberia. We know what happens when civilization dies, we need only look at africa.
>>323120872
>implying gender roles are natural
I guess we're just going to ignore how terrible women are for hunting and how retarded men are when it comes to picking berries because we can't see color very well.
>>
>>323120872

don't fucking bother with this this kid.
>>
>>323121027
>Women generally defend themselves by selling pussy.

Oh yeah, you're travelling through the wasteland/hanging out in a shitty little slumtown, and a horde of Mirelurks or a Deathclaw comes charging at you, being able to sell pussy will surely let you survive that.
>>
>>323117652
>owning a BB gun as a child makes you more familiar with real firearms than having an experienced soldier for a husband
>>
>>323121027
>I think Fallout would have been a much better game series had they modeled post apocalyptic America after places like Liberia
Yeah, maybe also remove unrealistic crap like powered armours, that stupid fifties style, energy weapons (wtf), mutants (dumb). Let's instead start all players naked down to their dongs and armed with twigs. Let's also add crafting mechanics and make it multiplayer-based for maximum realism! Ah, now this would be a great game.
>>
>>323121302
>be post-apocalyptic pussy salesperson
>mirelurk charges you
>"Hey! Male! Help me and it's implicitly implied you get some pussy!"
>man and/or men charge in to help
Have you never been outside?
>>323121421
The difference between men and women being equal in all things and power armor is one is a real thing being fictionalized and the other is just fiction, so it's ok to be wacky there.
>>
What are games where your character is actually, visibly really bad with weapons/guns/what have you to start off with, and through practice/gaining levelups they become proficient?
>>
>>323120040
Exactly. You define how strong your character is right at the beginning. If you're complaining about having a high strength woman then it's your own damn fault for setting it up that way. With that said, SPECIAL barely matters in Fallout 4 because of casualization.
>>
>>323121629
Lester the Unlikely is the only game to do this to my knowledge. It's not a very good game.
>>
>>323121629
>What are games where your character is actually, visibly really bad with weapons/guns/what have you to start off with
Deus Ex?
>>
>>323121629
ZombiU? Never played it but I remember that each fresh character you play takes forever to reload their guns when you first start off because they don't know how.
>>
>>323115807
/pol/ faggots really should be set on fire for this type of shitposting.
>>
>>323121845
/v/ and /pol/ are basically one in the same at this point.........*sighs*...
>>
>>323121845
What are you talking about?
>>
>>323121629
Tomb Raider pretends to do this, but after your very first shitty, messy pistol kill you become perfect with every weapon you pick up, so it doesn't really count.
>>
Guya I can't choose between the brotherhood and the institute, seriously, it's my first playthrough and I'm being really autistic about it and I can't decide who I like more, help meh
>>
>>323122213
theyre both completely retarded so it doesnt matter
>>
>>323122213
Institute is better in every way.
>>
File: 1451555629914.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451555629914.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>323118365
There was content cut in final production, mainly concerning the Legion, but I would hardly call it "half-finished". This happened with Fo3, too. What tropes does it deviate from?
>>
>>323122706
Wow you've been really helpful, thanks friend
>>
>>323123169
>Dying in X-01 armor
Was this on survival? That's completely impossible otherwise.
>>
>>323123571
Did you even go to Jamaica Plain? It has the only actually unique weapon in the game
>>
>>323123842
I did, but I didn't activate the security, are the laser turrets that overpowered in that section?
>>
File: 1452063669260.jpg (97KB, 545x467px) Image search: [Google]
1452063669260.jpg
97KB, 545x467px
>>323115807
>>323117025
>make female character
>fire a pistol for the first time
>the recoil flings the gun back into her nose
>first-person view fills with tears as your character starts crying and has to sit down for a couple minutes

oh wow I sure do love these video games now that they're realistic!

No game really makes sense unless it's one-hit kill or near-kill.
>>
>>323123991
OP here. My point was that the female is a lawyer while it makes sense because the husband was a military guy. The occuptation was really the point not the gender of the people
>>
>>323123991
>tfw playing New Vegas with realistic damages mod

It's amazing how such a simple change as damage modifiers can completely alter the gameplay of something and breathe so much new life and fun into it.

That's the problem I have with Bethesda's difficulty settings, all it's doing is tweaking how realistic the damage is, but the more realistic you make your own damage (by decreasing difficulty), the less realistic you make the enemy's, and vice versa.
>>
>>323123990
Yes as you can see
>>
The thing I really hated in the game, even more than the shitty voiced PC or lame ass dialogue wheel, was the lack of skill checks beyond basic CHA speech checks.
I join the Institute and that one guy bitches about it, how I'm not even qualified or a scientist. In any previous Fallout game this would be the best place for some high level INT checks or science skill checks to prove you're not some dumbass and can fit in.
But nope, not in FO4 you get nothing like that. The only Special checks I can even recall that arnt CHA ones are the two on the USS Constitution.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.