[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game mechanics that need to die: Points when their's no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

Game mechanics that need to die:

Points when their's no leaderboard
Game overs that force the player into the main menu instead of just restarting the level or going to the last save load
Checkpoints BEFORE a cutscene
"Are you sure?" popups when quitting the game
The first button on the main menu is "new game" instead of "continue"
The characters saying something every minute (Gears of War, lots of fighting games)
Weapons that degrade and need to be repaired
Unskippable cutscenes
Quick time events
Being overpowered in game then losing too easily in a cutscene
No button mapping option
Enemies/bosses that are just bullet sponges.
Enemies that stunlock
>>
File: Ellie-Front.jpg (28KB, 356x351px) Image search: [Google]
Ellie-Front.jpg
28KB, 356x351px
>>
>>323107452
rip in peace scooter
>>
>>323106994
also i dunno man alot of the mechanics you named are from 2005 youre more just remarking at how shitty they are which everyone probably agrees with
>>
>>323106994
>"Are you sure?" popups when quitting the game
A good menu does not allow the user to lose progress by mashing A on the wrong menu item.
>>
>>323108435
Stunlocking enemies like the darknuts and redeads are in Hyrule Warriors, weapon repair is in Bloodborne, no button mapping in Super Meat Boy
>>
File: 1451182708510.png (283KB, 714x574px) Image search: [Google]
1451182708510.png
283KB, 714x574px
>Open world
>arkham-style combat
>releasing a barebones game despite being given years to develop it, then slowly releasing more content as "free" DLC
>anything with zombies in it
>>
>>323109734
H1Z1 then?
>>
>>323109230
eh I mean youre naming a 5 year old indie game and nintendo sucks at fighting games anyways the weapon repair mechanic though is one of those things were it just depends how its implemented
>>
>>323109734
eeugh sometimes i forget there are people out there who enjoy yuri yuri only to be painfully reminded
>>
>vision mode that reveals clues and hidden objects
>>
>>323106994

I pretty much disagree with with everything except sponges. Also ive never seen a leaderboard that wasnt hacked. Then again ive stopped checking
>>
>>323109734

>zombies

Whats wrong with zombies?
>>
File: 1441936905668.jpg (35KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
1441936905668.jpg
35KB, 500x738px
Bosses in general desu. It's too gamey and has no place if the medium is going to continue to progress forward into the future.
>>
>animations for tiny things like opening doors, picking things up, opening chests etc.
If it's a game where I'm going to do any of the above upwards of 1000 times, please do not add this. It's understandable in a zelda game where chests aren't too plentiful, otherwise fuck off.
>>
File: larry david.jpg (38KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
larry david.jpg
38KB, 630x1200px
>>323106994
That thing they started doing in recent years where, instead of just having a cutscene and getting it over with, you're forced to walk extra slow so that the characters can do a "walk and talk" that essentially just acts like a cutscenes except giving you just enough control to make it really fucking annoying.
>>
>>323113806

I doubt anyone will agree but does anyone think the boss to sneaking ratio in mgs1 is too high? I swear cutscenes and bosses are 95% of the game. I just want to sneak around for fucks sake
>>
>>323113564
Saturated the market with no original ideas. Name a single zombie game to come out since 2009 that isn't shit.
>>
>>323114469
Dead rising 2?
>>
File: 1451073324655.jpg (137KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
1451073324655.jpg
137KB, 858x536px
>>323114457

I thought it was obvious that I was joking. If you actually agree with that you're fucking cancer.
>>
File: 305.jpg (41KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
305.jpg
41KB, 512x384px
>The first button on the main menu is "new game" instead of "continue"
This completely fucked me up once
>Rayman Legends on PS3
>DL version has a glitch where occasionally the Continue option will be locked out and cursor is on New Game
>Resetting to XMB fixes it
>One day it happens
>I'm of course mashing X to get on with it.
>Hitting New Game ONCE completely overwrites all of your progress the moment you press it. No warnings, no give backs, no other save files, all your hard work gone

I was so fucking mad. Fuck you Ubisoft. Fuck you so fucking much.
>>
>>323113187

>this fucking nigger thinks point based gaming is good

>this fucking nigger thinks weapons degrade to the point where the only way to fix it is with other weapons of the exact same type

>This fucking nigger thinks you should have to watch the cutscene

>this fucking nigger thinks quick time events were a good idea
>>
>game has controls
Are we seriously still putting up with this shit?
>>
>>323114694

Are you fucking drunk? I was asking if anyone thought there were too many bosses compared to the amount of stealth there is. I never even implied games should not have bosses
>>
linear games and linear narratives
>>
>>323114858
Does Rayman Legends only have a single save file on it?
>>
>>323106994
Weapons that degrade and need to be repaired is a concept that can either be done terribly or very well
Nothing wrong with the mechanic itself, the problem is shit devs who don't understand how to design around it
>>
>>323114469

If thats your reason for hating zombies you must really hate any game that has armed human enemies
>>
>>323115008

Sorry, thought that was what you were getting at. For MGS1 I agree, but it is a pretty short game. MGS2 and 3 are longer and much better at the boss/sneaking ratio if you haven't played those yet.
>>
>>323114469
Dying Light was pretty good.
>>
File: 1450935593278.gif (631KB, 489x532px) Image search: [Google]
1450935593278.gif
631KB, 489x532px
>Ranking that does absolutely jack shit online
>Options don't do anything online
>Set certain songs completely low
>Still comes on
Smash 4 fucked up everything even if it was a little bit
>>
>>323106994
Damn, I miss the Colbert Report.
>>
>>323115509
He misses you
>>
>no option to pause cutscenes, only to skip them
>don't know until you try pressing start if it skips or pauses

Why was this ever allowed and why is it still a thing in contemporary vidya?

People have bladders for fucks sake.
>>
>>323106994
>Weapons that degrade and need to be repaired
I agree with everything but this.
It adds a level of equipment management that tickles me the right way. Make it a toggle in the options as a compromise.
Now if its a one of a kind weapon and it can't be repaired ever then yeah fuck that shit.
>>
>"Rouge-like elements'
Some do it well, but for the most part, "procedurally generated" and permadeath is what lazy developers do to avoid coherent level design and balancing.

>Walking Simulators
I had been Ok with these for a while. They're fun as long as they do something interesting or unique or even just have a good story.
However, after playing (and refunding) The Beginner's Guide, I've vowed never to get another one.
>>
>>323115256
Yep, and if you accidentally hit NG it instantly wipes it. I think it was done to accommodate those shitty daily challenges because EVERYTHINGS GOTTA BE AUTOSAVE AND HAVE ONLINE CHALLENGES YOU ANTISOCIAL FAGGOT.
>>
>>323116480
If the player can quickly repair an item in the field and it only costs a little bit of time while vulnerable or something, sure.

If I have to go to specialized shops or carry around 10 heavy repair hammers in Oblivion fuck that.
>>
>>323116738
I would be fine with them if they where all $5 or less
>>
>>323116818
Wut.... the first Zelda had 3 save files on the game..... 30 fucking years ago.....
>>
>>323117562
Speaking of which, that's something that really needs to change too. Only having 3 save files. Don't know why nintendo continues to do this year after year.

It made sense back in the day when saves were stored on carts and there was limited capacity. But when we started using memory cards and internal storage, there was no longer any excuse not to have as many save files as your storage will allow. Fucking pain in the ass needing to do save transfers using SD cards on the wii because you have friends/brothers and 3 saves isn't enough
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.