[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Half-Life 2 was praised for having no cutscene movies and allowing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 2016-01-07_00008.jpg (484KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-07_00008.jpg
484KB, 1920x1080px
Half-Life 2 was praised for having no cutscene movies and allowing the player to have full control through almost the entire game.

So why didn't more games do this?
>>
>>323095683

Cutscenes are easier to do.
>>
>>323095849
and in jrpgs portraits are easier to do.
>>
Cinematic action is all the rage. Now you can play the cutscene by holding forward and pressing A once to jump over a wall, in the middle of all the action setpeices
>>
Because between all of this, the only thing Half-Life 2 didn't have were cutscenes.
>>
Those things aren't very different to cutscenes. You can move but you're still glued to a place while NPCs vomit exposition and technobabble.
>>
>>323095683
Because you can fucking skip cutscenes
>>
To some degree, HL2 did it kinda worse.

>no cutscenes
>stuck in sections for tedious minutes listening to pointless conversations that don't necessarily reveal any clues
>can't skip them like cutscenes
>being able to wander around doesn't provide any benefit besides just fucking around

At least in Thief you can sneak around to overhear dialogue that moves the story forward rather than waltz around a tiny room listening to other people yammer in each other's ears until they decide you need to advance the plot.
>>
>>323096280
No, they are very different. It gives a lot to the immersion when control isn't taken away from the player. You can pay as much or as little attention to what the characters are doing and saying to you as you want, that's the point.
>>
>>323095683
>player control
NEVA! MUH CINEMATIC VISION!
>>
>>323095683
>we don't have cutscenes, we'll just lock you in a room with nothing else to do but watch and wait while this totally not a cutscene happens
>>
Every call of duty game has done the same shit anon.
And frankly it's stupid, all it does is delay the bullshit unskipable cutscenes by making you do mundane "pick up this" "put that there" shit.

Not to mention it breaks atmosphere like fuck because everyone is having a super private conversation about some seriously covert shit while gordon the autistic elephant in the room smashes all of the professor's crates and runs around on all his tables.
>>
>>323095683
why are these graphics still so good?
>>
>>323096796
It's not, you're just from reddit.
>>
>>323096773

Not really, you lose control most of the time there's a "cutscene" in CoD
>>
>>323096796
>still so good

they dont look good at all
>>
>>323096880
Kill yourself meme spouting faggot
>>
>>323096992
Not really at all actually, those games have more than enough tactical squad walking from point A to B while conversation ensues.
>>
>stuck in a small room listening to characters blaring exposition at you
>player can only run in circles and jump up and down, otherwise completely non-interactive
totally superior to a cutscenes
>>
>>323095683
Because it's not fun. I'd rather watch a prerendered scene than stand around waiting for dialogue to finish so I can progress through the level.
>>
>>323097204
found leddit

why so salty?
>>
>>323096625
ages better too. none of that crisp gameplay to 480p cutscene nonsense
>>
>>323097235
>not fiddling with the transporters while people were talking
>>
>>323096625
>You can pay as much or as little attention to what the characters are doing
Oh really? Then how about no attention? Oh yeah, they're unskippable.
>>
>>323097364
Human Revolution really was a mess.
>>
>>323097235

>not stacking props on whatever npc is holding still's head
>>
File: 32154345654.jpg (80KB, 483x300px) Image search: [Google]
32154345654.jpg
80KB, 483x300px
>MIT

When will this meme end?
>>
File: download (29).jpg (65KB, 900x1094px) Image search: [Google]
download (29).jpg
65KB, 900x1094px
>all these fags that are too ADD for Half Life (and Metro, Bioshock, etc)
If I was to ever call people neo/v/...
>>
>>323096625
>immersive
Fuck outta here. Not a single thing immersive about it.

It's a cutscene where you have to sit through it every time. The characters don't interact or acknowledge you. They go through their scripted motions and eventually you're given an exit and allowed to play the game again.

>boy I sure do feel so immersed in this game now I'm allowed to jog around the room and jump on shit while a bunch of NPCs act like I'm not even here
>how revolutionary!
>>
>>323096625
You can pay as much attention as you want while you sit there toying with junk. At least you can skip cutscenes, Half Life 2 is tedious as hell after the first play through.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.