[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Pokemon, gen 7 >They decide to make the main story 'non-linear'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 40

>Pokemon, gen 7
>They decide to make the main story 'non-linear'
How would they best go about it? I often see people discussing non-linearity in Pokemon, being able to do gyms in any order and shit but nobody ever really offers up a system for how it could work other than "muh scaling levels".
>>
HMs can't be restricted to gyms except fly.
For this to also work I'd expect level restricting, probably to 50 for each gym. Also Gyms shouldn't be based on types but instead their strategies, items should be restricted on Gym Leaders but not random trainers
>>
>>323042702
Because level scaling is the best method. Make all pokemon within 3 levels of the highest member of your party.

The other option is letting you choose a path. A guy offers you the choice of 1 HM. Cut or Surf. Like with the fossils. If you pick surf you can advance to the gym across the sea, if you pick cut you can go through the forest. Later on you'll find the other hm so you can go back and the levels will adjust according to your choices.
>>
I don't care about linearity, all I want is a damn difficulty option in a Pokemon game. Trainers having higher level pokemon, with smarter AI would be amazing.
>>
>>323043087
Didn't B/W 2 have this?
>>
>>323043159
It did, but it was really poorly implemented.
>>
>>323043159
Sort of. If you beat the Elite 4 in Black 2, you unlocked a "key" that could be sent to another person's cartridge, so they could start a new game in challenge mode. For White 2, you could send easy mode.

The fucking stupid thing was, you couldn't start challenge mode on your own Black 2 cartridge. You needed someone else to send the challenge mode key.
>>
>>323043087
This would be nice, or at least an optional hard mode or something. I doubt they're going to just make the default game smogonfag proof or anything. I'd also like a plot in a mainline game that didn't revolve around the same old "get the eight badges, fight Team 'Insert theme here', and challenge the league."
>>
they might as well just make remakes, no one that matters cares about pokemon anymore
>>
>>323042702

It's not hard.

Give every gym 8 teams, and have them change based on how many badges you have. Have the story events always come stop your progress after X gyms.

If you really wanted to go crazy, put in a hard level cap that can only be bypassed by getting more badges. With 0, you can get up to 10. Each one adds 10 to the level cap, and being Champion gets you to 100. That could spice things up.
>>
>>323042702
It really wouldn't. In a level based game like this there's no way to include non-linearity without totally fucking everything up. Scaling levels are a cancer that ruin every game they've ever touched.
>>
>>323043496
that's basically the same as NOT having the feature. I'm in shock!
>>
>>323043794
this
>>
File: 1366977396306.png (86KB, 195x240px) Image search: [Google]
1366977396306.png
86KB, 195x240px
>>323043794
>it's not hard

have you ever made a video game? or at least a pokemon rom hack?

>give each gym 8 teams

oh, I guess not LOL
>>
File: 1409787609309.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1409787609309.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
>>323043496
One of the biggest examples of GameFreak's incompetence I've ever seen, honestly.
With not putting it into XY and not making it so retarded an even bigger example.
>>
>>323043794
There's already a (poorly implemented) soft level cap of sorts.

Traded pokemon disobey over a certain level, but you could sit there and grind your own without advancing the story. This is currently too easy, but they could work at it.

One of the bigger issues is that none of the handheld games have any rhyme or reason to the EV/IV spreads. It's all totally random.

Colosseum/XD had actual EV/IV spreads and it made the game way more interesting.
>>
>>323042702

>depending on the amount of badges, characters scale according to level, but once you enter a certain field, it will lock you out of the others until you either finish the story requirement or beat the according gym. This will rpevent people from just going to all the areas in the game and be vastly overleveled for everything.
>>
>gen 7

Christ, are we already at this point? I stopped playing after White but feel an obligation to check out X&Y at some point, since I've been with the series from the beginning. How were those games?
>>
>>323044946
XY was wasted potential: the pokemon game

postgame is pretty much nonexistent and it's too damn easy
>>
>>323043036
This works. Hell, in the off-chance that someone doesn't read what gyms would you find depending on your choice (fat chance, I know) it encourages even more to train your team in a balanced way because you really don't know what you'll find.
>>
>>323044946
Don't ask that here. The nostalgiafags won't fucking shut up about their Gen 1 and Gen 4. They're going to derail this thread with their circlejerking.
>>
>>323043496

>. For White 2, you could send easy mode.

I don't fucking get it
Why would you play ezmodo after beating the game on normal?
>>
>>323042702

It'll never happen. Black and White were the closest they've come to turning the series back into a "real" JRPG and to this day people treat those games like they're a plague on society.
>>
File: 1340972382905.png (390KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
1340972382905.png
390KB, 700x500px
>>323044946
honestly i'd recommend checking out BW/2, easily the most underrated gen
>>
>>323045385
You can SEND easy mode.
You can't play easy mode.
It's for that casual friend that dies in the starter battle.
>>
>>323044516

>have you ever made a video game? or at least a pokemon rom hack?

Nope.

So, what part of making 8 variations of each team is hard, when all you're doing is adding pokemon/evolving them/raising levels as you go?
>>
>>323044946
Gen 6 is absolute shit compared to Gen 5, don't waste your time
>>
>>323044516
Any decent dev can do that shit.
>>
>>323044772
I dont understand what you mean when you criticize the EV/IV system. I also didnt play the colosseum games, so that is why I'd like a bit more explanation. What about the handheld games is particularly bad? I understand that the random and hidden nature of IV's makes them frustratingly hard to control without going full autism with breeding. However, especially with the latest generation, managing EV's is incredibly easy.
>>
>>323043836
Just make it so the pokemon levels in an area depend on how many areas you've been to before that, and stay fixed through the rest of the game.
>>
>>323045830

He means that enemy trainer Pokemon have random and low-medium EV/IV spreads. Cynthia in Platinum is one of the very few trainers that has max EV/IV Pokemon, let alone six of them.
>>
>>323045830
I'm saying none of the in-game trainers had any real thought put into their EVs, IVs, or nautres.

So like, you'll have this Blissey with an adamant nature and all her points dumped into attack or something.
It makes all the pokemon you encounter even weaker than their level implies.
>>
>>323044772

They should just remove IVs. They add nothing to the game.
>>
>>323046075
oh that makes sense. I didnt think about how opponents used EV's and IV's but I can get how thats dissapointing.
>>
>>323046223

Hidden Power.
>>
>>323045567
But you need to beat the game in the first place to be able to unlock it, even that friend that dies in the starter battle.
>>
>>323044946
It's the usual. More monsters, more moves, and some rebalances. Added a few secondary features and removed others but it's mostly improved. Drives /v/ into a frenzy and they pretend that the last gen was better (as they do every gen) because it had some completely pointless shit that got removed because it was pointless. /v/ also likes to froth at the mouth and scream about how it's too easy, as if Pokémon was ever hard enough to even make this worth mentioning. Still, if I were you, I'd wait a couple of months to see if they announce Pokémon Z, because it really looks like it will happen at this point.
>>
>>323046492
>/v/
Who is /v/?
>as they do every gen
>muh patterns
Fuck off.
>>
I don't get how after almost 20 years of Pokemon games, Gamefreak is still this incompetent as a dev. I would love to see a standard Pokemon game made by a different studio, for once.
>>
>>323043496

wanted you to buy two copies dingus
>>
>>323043036
>Level scaling
>Good
>Ever
Level scaling is never a good idea.
Do you want Pokemon to turn into literally Skyrim?
>>
>>323046729
They had the formula almost perfect barring some balance and bug issues the very first time around. This allowed it to be popular and for them to be lazy shits.
>>
>>323046729
Well, entertaining the idea, who would you like to take ahold of production for the next gen Pokemon games?
>>
>>323046367

While you're right about that being tied to IVs, I'd argue that HP being tied to IVs is a bad thing.
>>
>>323045519
You don't know what that word means
>>
>>323046864
One is a turn based linear JRPG. The other is an open world sandbox ARPG. They really can't be compared at all.
>>
>>323046645
>muh not a hivemind
That's all you see in Pokémon threads and that's all you'd see back in Gen 5 too. Fuck you.
>>
>>323046729

They decided around XY, why put in the effort and break our backs? Pokemon will still sell tens of millions and Nintendo will still continue to shovel money down our throats.
>>
>>323047119
If it was a hivemind then you'd be a part of it too you mouth-breathing retard.
Go be salty somewhere else that people don't like your favourite gen.
>>
File: 300px-Sinnoh_Region.png (156KB, 551x252px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Sinnoh_Region.png
156KB, 551x252px
Make the region more like Sinnoh and less like Unova/Kalos
>>
>>323046729
After Platinum, HGSS, BW and BW2 you would expect something, but no.
>>
>>323047289
Sinnoh was the worst region of them all.
>>
>>323047289
God, I fucking hated Unova. Kalos was slightly better, but Sinnoh is definitely near the top in terms of design.
>>
File: 50Keks.png (150KB, 321x384px) Image search: [Google]
50Keks.png
150KB, 321x384px
>>323042702
>All gyms and random trainers have 8 difficulty settings based on how many have been completed
>Wild pokemon grow in strength based on what grass patches are entered and how many gyms have been completed
>story of game is non-linear and not tied to location. receive calls from friends/professor or hear news going around and investigate as necessary.
>Gyms would "close" until the story portion of the game

Honestly it's not that hard to come up with a non-linear gameplay mechanism for Pokemon. Nintendo and Game Freak just take the easy way out to make money.
>>
>>323047553
Too much caves and mountains for me in Sinnoh.
>>
File: 4L_hQo9a7hM.gif (410KB, 221x196px) Image search: [Google]
4L_hQo9a7hM.gif
410KB, 221x196px
>>323045567
How do you consistently win the starter battle? Is it safe to use the stat lowering move once, or should you just tackle/scratch repeatedly while hoping for a crit?
>>
>>323047916
>>323047553
>>323047289
Hoenn > Johto > Sinnoh > Kanto > Kalos > Unova

Despite not being a huge fan of Gen 3, it had a fucking fantastic region
>>
>>323048095
Lower stats [Times the other faggot did it too + 1] times, hit it until it dies.
>>
>>323048095
get the free potion, stat lower once and heal if they crit.
>>
>>323045519
>бpaтyхa-бopцyхa
what did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1431950207012.jpg (264KB, 1036x846px) Image search: [Google]
1431950207012.jpg
264KB, 1036x846px
>>323047115
They have the same problems. It makes the world feel fake, it removes your ability to self-regulate your difficultly level (if you like an easy game you can grind, if you like it hard you can speedrun), it removes any sense of achievement at being able to overcome something that was impossible earlier and it gets rid of any strategy in how you travel around the world. It's a bad system.
>>
>>323042702
US all the episodes so far from the xy anime as possible side quest that can have alternate outcomes based on some of your decisions. Also being able to bring along one of your rivals to these side quest which could end up affecting who they have in their team.
>>
>>323042702
I would rather the game just have a 2nd region where all gym leaders have 6 pokemon with proper ev/iv, nature and items. Essentially an extended post game. This way HMs do not become an issue nor the story content.
>>
Pokemon's problem stems from it's lack of difficulty, not from it's linearity.

Despite what retards will argue, no, it's not that everyone got older, it's that the games literally became handholding levels of easier. Point to me in the first three, or even first four generations where you're handed every HM and the Pokemon needed to steamroll the entire game on a silver platter, without exploration or needing to beat something. Gen 6 was fucking garbage for that reason. Have a free Lucario! Have a free Lapras and Surf to go along with it! Hey, your rival here, have even more HMs because puzzles and exploration is hard! Be careful with those gym leaders, they only have two Pokemon! Careful with the Elite Four, they have four whole Pokemon! Fucking trash.
>>
>>323044516
please explain how that's hard at all mr pokemon rom hack professional
>>
>>323048972
>older generations were harder
Have you taken a look at some of the movesets of the gym leaders/elite four/Blue for gen 1?
>>
>>323048095
im not sure if this is a serious question
you just attack a few times
>>
>>323047289
Lemme iterate on this a bit more
>>
>>323048972
What are you talking about? HMs have never been hard to get. And the pokemon you needed to steamroll through Gen 1 and 2 was the starter because Gym leaders were pathetic. Do you even remember their movesets? They've actually improved a lot in that regard. Pokmeon has never been anything but easy. The games are only as hard as you make them. If you use everything the game gives you, there isn't a single game in the series with even a little bit of challenge.
>>
>>323048972
Masuda has said games are easier to appeal to the smartphone audience.

No battle frontier in ORAS because casuals don't care about it. Simply put, Pokemon is now fated to become some bejeweled/candy crush tier franchise.
>>
Amie was a step in the right direction, but seriously, interspecies dating elements when?
>>
>>323049965
>making Pokemon of all things even easier to appeal to the most cancerous market in the industry
Can I get a source for this? I could use a nice dose of seething rage right about now.
>>
>>323050159
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-director-explains-why-series-is-becoming-e/1100-6422945/
>>
Why don't they add quests in each game? Each town will have people asking for your help in completing random shit around the area surrounding the town.

Also I don't mind team rocket. The "hurr durr I want to take over the world with some legendary pokemon" is getting fucking stale.the objective of Real criminal organizations are to make money. That's how it should be in Pokemon as well. The MC should stop a team that's selling poke drugs that hurt pokemon but makes them super strong or some shit like that.
>>
Literally just raise the difficulty of Pokemon by certain levels each time you beat a Gym.

Easy as pie
>>
>>323042702
Instead of being full "you can get any badge in any order" they should give you the option of tackling two or three badges at a time.

For example, after badge 1 you can go to the town in the east or the town in the west to get badge 2a or badge 2b. Then after getting both badges you gain access to gyms 3a, 3b, and 3c. The gym you don't beat will go up 5 to 10 levels and their Pokemon will evolve as needed.
>>
>>323047289
Sinnoh is the worst fucking region. It's unnavigable. Caves and similar horseshit everywhere.
>>
File: 1383683872281.jpg (192KB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1383683872281.jpg
192KB, 1936x2592px
>>323050005

Soon. Furfags are the only people who have cared about new Pokemon games for a long time, that's why they keep releasing more and more furbait.
>>
File: Tierno's Third Battle.png (78KB, 795x445px) Image search: [Google]
Tierno's Third Battle.png
78KB, 795x445px
>>323050159
>>
>>323050359

>One fucking move
>>
>>323048972
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-director-explains-why-series-is-becoming-e/1100-6422945/

>"Rather than any actual feedback from players, it's more accepting the realities of modern life," he said. "Kids these days or even people who grew up playing Pokemon--everyone is a lot more busy. There are a lot more things competing for a person's time than there were back then. For example, there are so many free games you can play on your phone now, there's so many entertainment options, so making it a little easier to play is the reason for that."

>Rather than actually listening to our players, we're making assumptions about what they want.
>We think it's probably best if we abandon the niche that's worked so well for us over the years and instead try to compete with the millions of low effort activities like mobile phone use, talking to friends, watching television, or having a nap
>This is a good idea
>>
File: 220px-Sigmund_Freud_Anciano.jpg (14KB, 220x309px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Sigmund_Freud_Anciano.jpg
14KB, 220x309px
Q:We noticed ORAS had a lower difficulty level compared to previous Pokemon games. What bought you to this decision? Any chance that future games will have the possibility to adjust difficulty level as seen in Black and White 2?

A:What? How come you've already played the games? hearty laughter [the games were supposed to come out in Italy the day after the interview] We created a "balanced" game that was suited for our time and age, where everyone is very busy and young people have various means of entertainment. Using smartphones and other devices they can access a great number of games, so the time they dedicate to a single game is less than in the past. The player can choose to keep on playing after the main story and continue to the post-game, where the difficulty rises and there are much more difficult Trainers and challenges to overcome.

Q:Why wasn't the Battle Frontier in the remakes?

A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.
>>
You know what would be cool

If the game sees what pokemon you have in your team and counterpicks it for your rival battles
>>
File: Zones.png (5KB, 334x334px) Image search: [Google]
Zones.png
5KB, 334x334px
This is experimental as fuck so bear with me

The region has 16 gyms. Maybe it's Kanto and Johto, or maybe it's a brand-new location - it doesn't really matter. You start off in the typical starting town - the 'blue zone' of the diagram provided. From there you head outwards into the world. The world is separated into four loosely defined 'zones' which have the typical routes and towns:
>Zone 1, all the areas surrounding the starting town or close by. Everything is leveled between 5 and 22
>Zone 2, the areas connected to Zone 1 areas. Everything is leveled between 23 and 35
>Zone 3, the areas quite far away from the starting town. Everything is leveled between 35 and 45
>Zone 4, the areas and towns on the outskirts of the map. Everything is leveled between 45 and 60
Each zone has four gyms, which can be done however you like. However, with every two gyms you do, the lower zones go up by one. So for example, once you've done two gyms in Zone 1, Zone 1's levels and rosters scale to Zone 2. This means you now have the choice of six gyms, the four from Zone 2, and the two leftover gyms from Zone 1 which are now on the same level as Zone 2. Once you do two more gyms, Zone 1 AND Zone 2 scale to be the same difficulty as Zone 3. Once you've completed six gyms from any of the first three zones, all Zones' gyms scale to be the difficulty of Zone 4.

You need only complete 8 gyms out of any of the given zones to access the Elite Four. The leftover 8 gyms would be purely optional, however by this point they would all be operating at Zone 4 difficulty.

Too weird?
>>
File: UgKJtiG[1].jpg (78KB, 800x525px) Image search: [Google]
UgKJtiG[1].jpg
78KB, 800x525px
>increased difficulty
>trainer pokemon are all IV/EV trained and higher leveled
>all gym leaders have a full team of 6
>no more bullshit trade gimmicks to evolve pokemon
>balanced for EXP Share so your team will be near or at level 100 by the end of the game, and so will trainer pokemon
>all 700+ pokemon are available to use instead of being blocked behind a wall that requires you to buy the same game with a different label
>much greater variety of wild pokemon in general for maximum fun

Hacking my 3DS was the best thing I've ever done. I can't even play non rom hacked Pokemon games anymore. The hacks are objectively more fun.

I mean, GameFreak takes the time to model and animate over 700 fucking Pokemon, plus record cries for all of them, give them stats and movesets, and etc. Then you make it a massive pain in the ass to get ahold of your favorites, making only a small fraction of them available to play with? What is the fucking point.
>>
File: because of the implications.jpg (212KB, 1220x918px) Image search: [Google]
because of the implications.jpg
212KB, 1220x918px
>>323049336
Have you played Gen II? The Elite Four was fucking silly - the first guy's Xatus and Slowbro was a fucking pain in the ass to deal with. Bruno wasn't as bad, but once you got to Lance and Agatha, you best make sure you can handle a good ass rape unless you grind your team like a motherfucker.

Depending on what you want to consider old, Firered and Leaf Green were harder than the original Red and Blue if I'm being honest.
>>
>>323050828
What are some of the better hacks you would recommend?
>>
File: AcIEEAK.gif (42KB, 500x571px) Image search: [Google]
AcIEEAK.gif
42KB, 500x571px
Fire Emblem has a difficulty setting for a while now, the Mario & Luigi games have been introducing an unlockable hard mode once you beat the game, Advance Wars has had a hard campaign in 3/4ths of the games, Xenoblade X has a difficulty setting.

Would it be that much trouble for Gamefreak to have a difficulty setting available from the start that you could toggle if you hit a roadblock like in XCX?
>>
File: Ludicolo_XY[1].gif (98KB, 110x90px) Image search: [Google]
Ludicolo_XY[1].gif
98KB, 110x90px
>>323050359
Why didn't he get any dancing pokemon or anything? Wasn't he obsessed with being the world's gayest dancer or something?
>>
>>323050920
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1yiPtvmsAMwAEzPVtD_324flA-8MeR78T2_uIwyq7YP8
>>
>>323050783
its weird but I think it would be pretty interesting

you could also make the zones kind of like this

>zone 1 has towns/small forest type areas
>zone 2 is full of cities/ high tech stuff
>zone 3 is rugged, full of mountains etc
>zone 4 is an ultra fucked frontier full of crazy people
>>
>>323050961
Gamefreak would have to put in a modicum of effort for that to be a reality. Given Masada's comments from above, it's not just ignorance, but willful attempts to dumb things down as much as possible.
>>
>>323050961
They don't want any of those smartphone children to bite off more than they can chew and get stuck on a hard part.
>>
>>323051038

Because Miror B did it first.
>>
>>323050359
>a random(yeah he's a friend, but nothing else) weak trainer with a dance gimmick has Pokemon with dance moves and barely anything else
>this is supposed to make me mad or something
Better him than fucking Champion Blue.
>>
>>323046729
Well, what studio would you like to see making Pokemon?
>>
>>323050961
It was already in BW2 but nobody cared, especially people like you, so why would they put in the effort to doing it again?
>>
The series was always easy as shit, it started going downhill with Unova.
While battle mechanics are arguably becoming better each gen, exploration became braindead because people hated Sinnoh.
I wouldn't mind some sort of middle ground, just not linear like Unova.
Kalos too was shit, I tend to forgot that because at least it had a huge regional dex.
ORAS Hoehn was much better in comparison, but they really need to make the next game less linear, and with a post game. I don't think they can do easy money again with a lazy designed 7th region.
>>
>>323051383

It was horribly implemented
>>
>>323051343
Platinum
FromSoftware
Bethesda
>>
>>323051383
Yep, literally pandering to the casual mobile crowd, and you defend this.
>>
>>323042702
Have multiple routes from first city and every badge you collect boosts the world's trainers to the next level bracket.
>>
>>323051343
I wouldn't mind seeing Atlus have a crack at it.
>>
>>323051582

ezpz
How was this not thought of before
>>
>>323051383
>It was already in BW2 but nobody cared
nobody cared because they fucking gated it off with a retarded link-up mechanism. If you want to play it on hard mode, you specifically have to link up with somebody who has a copy of Black 2 (White 2 offers an easy mode - who the fuck thinks that's a feature in the already cripplingly easy Pokemon series) who has already completed the main quest.

I honestly have no idea what they were thinking when they decided this was a good idea
>>
>>323051383
>you can unlock an easier or hard mode version of the game that you yourself can't even play

fucking brilliant
>>
>>323051050
Some of these look kind of shitty, but some I've heard of being okay/pretty good. Thanks.
>>
File: Have you ever made a game.jpg (38KB, 325x277px) Image search: [Google]
Have you ever made a game.jpg
38KB, 325x277px
>>323051383
The thing is I did care and I did want to give it a go. The problem is I would either have to wait for a friend to beat Black 2 to send it to me so I can play the game in hard mode or go buy an Action Replay and put in a code that unlocks hard mode for me.

Why do I have to go through arbitrary methods to access a feature that is common in almost every modern JRPG out there?
>>
>>323042702
The idea of doing gyms in different orders was in a way addressed in Pokemon Origins when you see Brock with a full team but only pulls out onix and geodude since it was Red's first gym battle. The leaders would have different teams depending on how many badges you have.
>>
I hope you guys understand that Nintendo only really cares about three sections of it's demographic: children, new gamers and families. Those are their primary targets when it comes to new releases. They're like the Grimm version of Cinderella. If the shoe doesn't fit, they'll cut off features until it does. In this case, those toes are any sort of difficulty.

I'm also pretty certain Japanese companies think International gamers are mentally inferior, as they're keen on dumbing down games with the US/Western audience in mind.
>>
>>323050783
I was with you until the level scaling. Just keep it simple: Eight gyms divided into four groups, each group is of roughly the same difficultly and can be completed in either order but you need to have beaten both before you move on to the next group.

tl:dr: Copy A Link to the Past.
>>
>>323049965
It's funny that he said that, once you get far enough in the Maison the NPCs start to use Pokemon with stats which are illegal/too high and abuse RNG to their advantage (example: Protect always working on enemy Pokemon even after many consecutive uses, I believe I remember seeing someone say some OHKO move would always hit). I understand that it's meant to be challenging, but to say that that's better than the Battle Frontier is stupid.
>>
>>323050564
I hate Masuda to death and wish that anyone else would take charge of the series.
Even in composing he gets outskilled by Go Ichinose, Hitomi Sato and Shota Kageyama nowadays.
>>
>>323050359
Tierno sucks as a trainer we got that from the moment you started playing the game.
>>
MONOLITH MADE POKEMON GAME

WORLD THE SIZE OF XENOBLADE CHRONICLES

IT WOULD STILL BE LINEAR
>>
File: ALBW.jpg (97KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ALBW.jpg
97KB, 600x600px
>>323050783
>20th anniversary game
>Kanto and Johto 20 years after RBY/FRLG, 17 years after GSC/HGSS
>Blue Oak is the new Professor
>This formula - 16 gyms can be done in any order
Game Freak pls
>>
>>323052464
So based on your pic the game will be piss easy as fuck as well?
>>
>>323047289
Sinnoh was cool geographically, but the mountain splitting it down the middle and the amount of HMs needed to get around was absurd.
>>
>>323046864
Skyrim may have been a shit game but it got its level scaling down much better than Oblivion, which was a much better game despite its level scaling flaw

But then again you're comparing apples to oranges
>>
>>323051660
That's called Shin Megami Tensei
Personally, I wanna see what Falcom or MonolithSoft or IS would do with the series
>>
>>323052464
They're really starting to cater to genwunners (gen 7 is going to be "simplified" with possible item/attack removals so it'll be more like gen 1 if I remember correctly) for some reason so that might just happen.

I don't understand why they're doing that though. Seems like a pretty shit idea. Genwunners won't buy any new shit even if it's catered to them. It wouldn't be their precious gen 1, therefore, it's shit. Pokemon fans are still going to continue purchasing their games no matter what garbage they throw out so they might as well not limit themselves for no reason.
>>
>No following pokemon

Best feature, limited to one set of games.
>>
>>323052961
The only way to actually cater to genwunners is to rerelease Gen 1 because they don't have any concrete reasons for liking it more than the others. And they're already doing that. Now let's see if it still lives up to their nostalgia.
>>
>>323052959
>That's called Shin Megami Tensei
Not exactly the same, but yeah. Atlus has a track record making good games in that vein, so I would love for them to do a Pokemon one.
>>
>>323053379
Gen 1 is good. The archaic restrictions of the GB aren't. That's why Fire Red/Leaf Green are much much better.
>>
>>323046864
>>323043036

Hand out items that 'keep higher level pokemon away' at the early modes of the game; you get low level encounters as long as you have this item. Pokemon appear on the map as "?" encounters, so you can dodge them if you run out. Trainers become optional battles whom *you* challenge, with rewards being experience/reputation. You have to challenge a certain amount of Trainers before heading to the next area (justify this as 'you getting demoted in the ladder if you don't'; Trainers who perceive you as having too strong Pokemon and too high a reputation won't challenge you/accept your challenge). Harder trainers may then appear at the beginning of the game. This allows a non-linear experience without scaling, plus it encourages the developers to plan around jank strats like sash endeavor ratatta or whatever.
>>323043087
This way, you can choose at what point you challenge the trainers; so long as there are always some overlevelled trainers, and/or puzzle battles there's the possibility for skill to shine through. (I fondly remember the Academy battles in Stadium 2).
>>
>>323053167
>No following Pokemon
>No seasons
>No PWT
>No apricorns
>No underground
>No radio
>No Pokeathlon
>No <insert feature here>
And although it was understandable to omit customization from ORAS (what with them already having set character designs for remake nostalgia purposes), you can bet your fuckin ass that customization, soaring and dexnav will be long gone in the next generation. Between the features of the 6 existing gens, Game Freak have all of the blueprints for a perfect Pokemon game, but they remove five features for every four they add. That way, they don't run the risk of accidentally making a game that's TOO good and actually having to push themselves to make a worthy sequel afterwards
>>
>>323053167
Unfortunately, the amount of pokemon has nearly doubled now, and it wouldn't be easy to make a completely functional over world 3d model for each and every pokemon. You can kinda fudge it with 2d sprites, but you couldn't really ignore things like size difference and gait (floating, walking, etc) It certainly seems doable, but a whole bunch of work. And Nintendo tends to have rushed development for pokemon as is so....
>>
>>323043087
>forced to use pokemon who's main type is the same as the gym leader you face
Also they need to make it so you can't just one shot pokemon of the same level with a single attack. Yeah I get it, fire is super effective against grass but always 1 hit KOing things just cuz of type makes it boring. Half the time I don't even give a shit about type, I just use one pokemon and level it like crazy while making everything else HM slaves. After I max out or get one to a high level, I'll switch it with something else I like.
>>
>>323054079
What you said about one shots is intended to counter your exact strategy. Except it doesn't work because they throw too much exp at you.
>>
>>323042931
This, basically.
>Only allowed X potions in battle against gym leader
>Level is auto-adjusted to 50 for gym matches, similar to how online matches are
>start in niggerville, and can go path left to spicsville or path right to sand-nigger city
>Given choice by rival/partner/bestfriend/fuck buddy of "hey, I have 2 HM's Surf, and Cut. which do you want?" then they end up giving you the other later because lolstoryreasons
>>
>>323053756 here
who am I kidding, gamefreak will never ever do this; I should just make a game
>>
>>323054079
>>323054169
What would work would be to use the xp style where killing far lower leveled mons gives you far less xp, while mantaining the progression for guys close to your level. It's the reason your guys in Trails of the Sky end up at similar levels even when you have an overlevelled party member join.
>>
File: hilder.jpg (76KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
hilder.jpg
76KB, 640x360px
gamefreak should just make B3/W3. the original dragon was never revealed, and it would be a perfect time to reveal it because it directly ties into the recent-games' lore with AZ, the meteor/rayquaza, and super-weapon that was apparently used in the war long time ago

>B3/W3
>manifest destiny theme where you expand west from unova (new york)
>slightly older hilbert/hilda chase after N
>region composed of swamplands and bayous (american south), great plains, rocky mountains, ending up with california-like city/coastal area
>different outfits from each terrain
>hilda in swimsuits

even if they were to do this, i'm afraid they'd fuck it up because gamefreak is even more casual than before, and only care about those shitty new graphics
>>
>>323054025
>Pokémon
>rushed
Dude, they worked on Gen 6 for years. They started working on those 700+ 3D models since a little after B/W came out. And making Gen 5 also took a lot of time. You can say whatever bullshit you want about mainline Pokémon games. They're easy? Fair enough. They don't cater specifically to you? Probably. But saying that they're rushed? That's a lie.
>>
>>323054906
>the original dragon was never revealed, and it would be a perfect time to reveal it
I dunno, I think the original dragon is better off never being revealed. It's one of those conceptual ideas where whatever they come up with won't quite live up to the mystery of not knowing

A pretty autistic example, but think of when they revealed Eddy's brother in Ed Edd n Eddy. He'd been referenced frequently and never shown, so he couldn't possibly live up to expectation and the reveal actually retroactively made past episodes shittier by proxy
>>
>>323055423
Really? Eddy's brother was exactly what I expected him to be. Considering that Eddy looked up to him and was trying to be like him and this was the result, I always expected him to be a loser scumbag.
>>
Okay /v/, what's the best gym music and why is it Nimbasa's?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVPIxu4tTrA
>>
>>323054906

I would love a 3d Unova game, even if the region itself was very linear that is my favorite generation. Still would rather see a "johto" like version of what's next to Unova than whatever neighbor region to Kalos.
>>
>>323055423
>Eddy's brother in Ed Edd n Eddy
i honestly don't know what this is, but i do kind of understand
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gju6j3f2xTc
>>
>>323055732
I guess, but what he turned out to be isn't really the point. The point is more that it's more shrouded in mystery, more open to interpretation when they're not shown. To give another example:

When there's a popular character in a book, and then they make a film adaptation. There's no way that the live-action version of the character can possibly live up to EVERYBODY's expectations because people will all have their own interpretations of that character. Some will be happy with what they see and some will be like 'that's not how I pictured X at all'.

That's how the original dragon story feels to me. If the original dragon ends up looking shit, being a worthless legendary, or being part of a shitty plotline, it'll retroactively dampen the parts of BW/BW2 that revolved around the concept.
>>
>>323056016
it would be nice if they can include unova in it
>>
It's easy.

Screw linear progression. You can go wherever, whenever as long as you have the right type of pokemon. Screw HMs, they're a terrible design choice. All flying pokemon can fly, all water pokemon can surf etc. Some areas would require some specific pokemon.

There are high, medium and low level pokemon everywhere scattered around different colored grass. Running away never fails and you can't catch pokemon higher than yours.

You have a main story you can progress whenever, in addition to errands you can do for people in different cities. Gyms and the league are meant to be played after you've been to every city, aka completed the main story.

Basically, give it the Skyrim treatment >_>
>>
>always wanted to mount pokemon
>X/Y did this for only few certain pokemon; maybe 3 at most
>only available in certain small areas
FOR WHAT FUCKING PURPOSE. FUCK YOU, GF
>>
>>323053167
>following pokemon
>good
It was the single most useless gimmick introduced to pokemon and impacted the game negatively due to the fact that it locked the final trainer card upgrade behind RNG.
>>
What if someone made a romhack where everything is non linear? Has anyone tried?
>>
>>323057027
>Basically, give it the Skyrim treatment
Fuck off Skyrim is a terrible game.
>>
>>323057531
But it was cool.
>>
>>323044946

>gen 7
>after 20 years

How is that surprising?
>>
>>323057702
People tried but generally pokemon doesn't work as a totally non linear game.
>>
i'm a gook and i took my pretty, adopted, blonde-haired sister to the tokyo pokecenter during my yearly trip to nipland to visit and spend time with a family friend. she spent 200usd there. she wants to stay at the sunshine prince hotel in the same building as the pokecenter next time we go
>>
>>323043496
You could activate hard mode on the same cartridge from the moment you got the key
>>
>>323044516
>literally build 8 teams instead of 1
>same Pokemon at different levels with different moves
>IF trainer has 3 badges THEN use team 3

Holy shit nigger that's so fucking hard my mind almost shattered
>>
>>323058228
Yeah but that was after everything was all over. Restarting also takes hard mode away from you.
>>
>>323042702
I want the option of joining the bad guys
>>
>>323056059
You haven't watched Ed Edd n Eddy? That's a shame. It's a show about those three kids and the mischief they get up to, where they try and get money from the other neighbourhood kids to buy candy (jawbreakers) at a store in their area. They nearly always fail but good times are always had. Throughout the show, Eddy brings up his older brother, talking about how cool he is and that he looks up to him and all that shit. But like the all the parents/other adults, his brother was never actually seen in the show. So we had to go by Eddy's descriptions of him. But eventually he was shown and it turned out to be a huge letdown.
>>
>>323057725
hold on to your autism there buddy. I don't particularly love Skyrim either, we're only talking about how the game should progress, okay?

Good boy, go take your pills
>>
>>323052954
Why can't fruit be compared tho
>>
>>323049965
It already is. Go.
>>
>>323050245
>quests

I actually like this idea. The second and third Ranger games had them, too.
>>
>>323043036
This, basically. Make a giant world map with multiple paths that are opened and closed depending on the choices you make. Put like, 12-16 gyms. You only need 8 badges to get to the league. The rest can serve as post game content.

>>323046864
>Level scaling is never a good idea.
Why not? What's wrong with it? The only games I ever played with level scaling, the problem was that enemies would occasionally get too difficult. Not impossible, just a bit annoying. But the deal is, with Pokemon, the game usually so easy, and a smart player can topple the odds by using good type match-ups that it would actually make scaling work a lot better.
>>
>>323052192

> I believe I remember seeing someone say some OHKO move would always hit

https://youtu.be/u0WSB6TFQ9o

But I remember the frontier to pull similar shit though
>>
160+ posts about non-linearity, leveling, difficulty and so on, and nobody has made a Souls comparison yet

I'm proud of you, /v/
>>
>>323043036
>Because level scaling is the best method.
No. Fuck.
Just have harder areas the further out you go. It can still be non linear. It's not that hard of a concept.
>>
>>323051289
>Better him than fucking Champion Blue.

What do you mean?
>>
>>323058954
Because wild Rattatas suddendly becoming lv60 because i switched my lv8 Magikarp with my lv65 starter in first place of the party is retarded
>>
>>323058954
The point of leveling is to become stronger than the enemy. How is level scaling ever a good idea? Worst case scenario, they pull off a Bethesda and leveling actually makes the game harder, discouraging you from doing it at all. Best case scenario, it's actually well balanced but there's still no reason to level up because enemies will just level up with you and you won't notice much of a difference. It's simply not a good idea. It defeats the purpose of the genre's mechanics.
>>
>>323058074
Post pics of her, faggot.
>>
How about a compromise between scaling and regular progression?
>First area, three gyms, Pokemon in the area can scale between the levels of 5 and 25 depending on the order you do them in and your party
>Second area, three gyms, Pokemon in this area can scale between the levels of 25 and 40 depending on order and party
>Final area, two gyms, Pokemon in this area can scale between 40 and 54 depending on order and party
You must do area 1 to get to area 2, and area 2 to get to area 3.

Basically this allows some level of non-linearity but still forces an order on things. It also means they don't have to limit the Pokemon levels to be unnecessarily low (like they did in GSC to compensate the variable gym order), but leveling still has a use - you can still grind a Pokemon over an areas level cap and destroy the opposition.
>>
>>323055423
When the fuck was he revealed
>>
>>323058652
And aside from the level scaling skyrim had terrible progression. Suggesting that a game which at its worst still has better progression then that mess is retarded.
>>
File: 058a3a9f000e06e797811c34fefa87de.jpg (945KB, 914x1033px) Image search: [Google]
058a3a9f000e06e797811c34fefa87de.jpg
945KB, 914x1033px
I would rather they unfuck the PvP but it will never happen. Plus beyond that, Game Freak is one of the most incompetent developers I have ever seen.
>>
File: i shouldn't be posting this.jpg (73KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
i shouldn't be posting this.jpg
73KB, 600x449px
>>323060543
>>
File: Pokemon Zeta.png (234KB, 506x320px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Zeta.png
234KB, 506x320px
>>323042702
>>
If this is a Pokemans idea/change thread, here's mine for you to hate:

1. Trainers and gyms have dynamic leveling, such that they're always within ~5 levels of the average level cap of your team.

2. Gyms are themed not by type but by battle strategy. You'll have an attack buff gym, a speed buff gym, a stall/annoyer gym, etc.

3. The Elite 4 will always have mons of higher level than yours. If you reach level 100, then they'll be perfectly bred, with max EVs and base stats.
>>
>>323055423
>so he couldn't possibly live up to expectation
I dunno, that movie was pretty huge and an incredibly satisfying ending to the series.
>and the reveal actually retroactively made past episodes shittier by proxy
Not really. It made you think a bit more about some of the past episodes, but they didn't stop being great. In fact, the depth added to them makes it better.
>>
>>323061632
Your second idea is stupid, why not do both? Why randomly remove a gym staple?
>>
>>323061363
Big picture show dude.
Turns out eddy lied about his brother being great and he was an ass.
>>
>>323061632

4. No more HMs. The moves usually associated with HMs (Surf, etc.) will be turned into TMs, and the functionality will be turned into objects you need to find (jet ski, flying drone, scuba gear, etc.)

>>323061897

Because it's far too easy to just rip through a gym with one or two mons in the current type of games.
>>
File: Panic 3.jpg (96KB, 192x279px) Image search: [Google]
Panic 3.jpg
96KB, 192x279px
>Camerupt used Earthquake
>It was super effective!
>Entei fainted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld4TzVQD0Ag
>>
>>323061579
I wanted pics of your sister. Not two bitches
>>
No, this is retarded.
>>
>>323062031
It's far too easy to rip through a an attack buff gym, a speed buff gym, a stall/annoyer gym, etc too, you know.
>>
>>323062031
>Because it's far too easy to just rip through a gym with one or two mons in the current type of games.
Changing the gym themes from type to certain strategies don't change that anon. In fact it would make it worse seeing as you wouldn't have to catch a new pokemon to get a advantage. You could literally steamroller it with a single pokemon where at the very least you would need two or three to steamroll.
>>
>>323062031
It would be even easier to rip through a gym with one or two mons if the whole team just followed one strategy. As it is now, at least they can cover themselves with dual types or varied movesets. If they just stick to a single strategy, you can counter them even easier. Attack buff? Burn or forced switch. Speed buff? Forced switch. Annoyer? Bring pokemon immune to poison and burns.
>>
>>323051050
Probably late to the thread, but I'd recommend Pokemon Zeta/Omicron for a fairly fun but challenging game. Pretty standard formula.

For something different, and retardedly hard, Pokemon reborn is good. I'm 100% stuck on the 5th gym. And I've completed the "hard" rom hacks with a solo glalie.
>>
>>323050920
>>323062976
meant for you.
>>
Any pokemon pre Gen VI Romhacks that have Protean Greninja or Stance Change Aegislash in them?
>>
>>323045519
Why does this picture even exist?
>>
>>323056232
Comfiest bridge
>>
HMs should become usable items so you never need to waste a move slot on any of your pokemon
>>
File: 1442608212694.gif (1MB, 240x281px) Image search: [Google]
1442608212694.gif
1MB, 240x281px
>>323045519
that fucking voltorb
>>
>>323057027
>>_>
>>>/out/
>>
>>323063189
>>323063379
This artist is fun, he doesn't draw shit anymore as far as I know
>>
>>323063356
>wasting moveslots
Nigger this isn't gen one anymore and pokemon is simple anyway.
HMs haven't been an issue for years.
>>
>>323062608
>>323062697
>>323062518

GameFreak Defense Force please go and stay go.
>>
>>323063536

He did some fun N pictures as well.
>>
>>323050961
Mite b cool
>>
>>323063621
Amateur Idea Guys who don't even understand the game mechanics please go and stay go.
>>
>>323051473
>Platinum
Has Platinum ever made an RPG/Monster-raising game?
>>
>>323063621
>defence force
>implying you don't just have shitty ideas
>>
>>323063356
To use it you should only need a Pokemon in your party that's able to use it.
>>
>>323045190
Better than ORAS
>>
>>323051343

Atlus or From Software. Maybe even Retro
>>
>non-linearity in Pokemon

ok ok hear me out
>it's a pokemon game
>with rogue like elements
>and souls style gameplay
>item crafting
>fort building
>skill trees
>morality choices
>randomly generated overworld
>with metroidvania-style game structure
>and a meta commentary on the industry as a whole
am i doing it right?
>>
>>323064157
>better than the game with less
ORAShitters are still about I see.
>>
>>323058652
Skyrim's progression was one of the bad parts of the game
>>
>>323064514
Throw in some EO dungeon crawling and SMT capturing and you've got it.
>>
>>323051660
I'm waiting for pokemon with fusion and negotiations
>>
>>323064514
Everything except the gameplay. Souls is for Souls gameplay. I do actually enjoy the gameplay itself, and if I want another type of gameplay I'll play a different type of game.
Lot of the rest of it was cool, though.
>>
Make you able to travel to multiple maps. Like gen2 but then not one after the other. This allows you to get surf etc. from multiple places. To accommodate having multiple worlds however you would either need a shitload of HMs or smear out your progression over a really long time.

Basically HMs work like upgrades in metroidvanias. With surf you can open up places, same with flash and the like.
>>
>>323064845
>>323065182
Jesus Christ you people can't actually be taking me seriously
>>
>>323065276
I thought this was a shitty fixes to a declining series thread. It seemed like a good contribution.
>>
>>323065276
Of course I'm not you retard. Not too sure about the other anon though.
>>
>>323063621
>HURR DURR I'M A RETARD
>stop being a retard, dude
>haha i was just pretending...d-defense force!
>>
>>323065408
If that were the thread topic we'd be talking about asscreed or CoD.
>>
>>323045190
>postgame is pretty much nonexistent and it's too damn easy
But that pretty much applies to all Pokemon games.
>>
>>323065612
Except BW2 and Emerald.
>>
A decent way to do gyms in a nonlinear fashion would be to have their team be based off of how many Badges you have. Like I figure the first gym or two would need to be in order to act as a tutorial for the player, but to go with what >>323043036 said regarding differing routes, have gyms 3-6 have basic level scaling to offer 4 different possibilities for players, similar to how the rematches were in HGSS were done. Special detail can be paid for Gyms, allowing them to grow their party similar to how Pokemon Origins portrayed it.
>>
>>323065723
Agree with BW2, but not Emerald.
>>
File: 1400773427530.jpg (236KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1400773427530.jpg
236KB, 600x600px
Non linear RPG's are dumb because it kills story
I want branching paths and actual choices. THe closest I want to non linearity is dungeons that you can explore further if you come back to them later in the game. so after you beat the game you can come back and get more content out of everything.

What pokemon really needs is no modernize/streamline it's menus and gameplay. First things first, make HM's key items and not something we have to plague our parties with. It kills creativity when you force players to have a water and flying, ect pokemon and then only put like 2 good ones in the game.
>>
>>323067727

Because Pokemon is known for its story
>>
What if after you beat the linear game, all the areas in the game received a level up with the new pokemon, so that you could grind anywhere you want instead of being forced to grind in that one high level(which has been getting lower with more recent games)
>>
>>323067727
>First things first, make HM's key items and not something we have to plague our parties with. It kills creativity when you force players to have a water and flying, ect pokemon and then only put like 2 good ones in the game.
But that's literally not true. If you need to bring HMs you only need them for super short periods, the only time this is annoying is on Victory Road, where elsewhere you can just do that one part and then deposit the Pokemon. Fly and Surf are good moves for ingame and Surf itself has never been a Water type-exclusive move in any game, while more non-flying Pokemon started to learn Fly.
>>
>>323068091
There is no reason it couldn't be. I think more could be gained from a good story than shitty open world "oh look, I did that dungeon first, what an experience!"
I mean ,what does non linearity even add?
It's not like some areas are more fn than others. It's pokemon, it's the same no matter where you go.
>>
>>323068182
>(which has been getting lower with more recent games)
?
>>
Level scaling is the dumbest idea ever. Levels should be set so that there's a sense of achievement. If everything is scaled to around your level it feels like no advancement is made at all. They should redesign the game so that levels and stats didn't decide every outcome. In the current design, higher level pokemons simply crush the lower level pokemons because they're faster, do more damage and have better movepool. Currently the only ways to kill high level pokemons with low level pokemons is to teach a super effective TM and spam heals during the fight or cheese with DoT, substitute, paralyze, evasion etc and hope that the AI does something retarded during the first couple turns.
The world should be designed to be non-linear in a way that you are able to go almost anywhere if you are able to handle the random encounters. In the current design you're limited to shitty butterfiles and birds at the early game. If you were free to roam, you could go catch a Heracross or Beldum from some mid-game areas right at the beginning of the game and form your team around them. Gyms and trainers should be variable in difficulty but they would have different dialog and actions if there's a vast difference in levels. Random trainers might refuse to fight or revive your pokemons afterwards. Gym leaders might use only a single pokemon as a training match if they're 30 levels above you or give you a handsome reward if you manage to beat their regular team. Every gym should have relatively high level pokemons too. It's retarded that gym leader has only a couple pidgeys and a spearow. The easiest gyms should have something like 30-40 level pokemons so that not every Ben the bug catcher is able beat them with their caterpies. Late game gyms should obviously be harder, maybe around levels 50-70 with some advanded tactics.
HMs shouldn't be locked behind gym badges. It's okay to lock some areas or treasures behind HMs, but those areas should be accessible once you find the required HM.
>>
Game needs a passive multilayer so that other players in same route are running around and you can interact with them same way you can through their current system. Not an mmo, but just the comfort of other players roaming around. I want this.
>>
>>323043087
Already done f a m (family)
>>
>>323042702

To me, Pokemon just needs a world map made in the style of ALttP.

For too long, Pokemon maps have just been a series of fenced-in routes connecting fenced-in towns. Take the fences away and open up the world, letting the players explore. The further off the beaten path you go, the higher the level of the wild Pokemon and the harder it is to progress without getting your shit slapped.

You don't even need to level balance; Put the harder Gyms behind harder areas, if a player manages to get through then good on them.

The only caveat would be that they'd have to introduce a rule that you can't catch a wild Pokemon that's higher levelled than any Pokemon you currently own (meaning you can't, for example, cheese the game by capturing a high-level ghost Pokemon early on by abusing a Normal Pokemon that's immune to its moves). And they'd probably have to mitigate the EXP you get from wild Pokemon for the same reason. But other than that there's no reason this wouldn't work.

Stay on the path and follow the challenge the way it was intended. Or stray off the path, do anything you want, but expect to face challenges you probably aren't ready for. It would completely change the way the game is played, and would provide a much-needed upgrade to the overworld system which is really the only part of Pokemon that hasn't evolved AT ALL since the originals on the GB.
>>
>>323068324
>If you need to bring HMs you only need them for super short periods

And if you didn't bring them then you need to backtrack and change your party for one of these stupid "super short periods"

They don't serve any purpose is my point. Make the moves TM's, and the function an item, that way you can still have the "gate" function gamefreak loves way to much without all the tediousness of maintaining and swapping hm slaves around. The curent system ads nothing to the game and it would not hurt the game one bit to not waste the players time.

>Wanted to do a bug only run
>Oh well you still need to get a bird and something that can fish, because only one bug Pokemon can fly and he's post game/transfer from another game
copy and paste for most of the other types in the game who are hard to get compete HM coverage for within that game.
>>
>>323068434
The average level of pokemon in the story is going down with each game. I'm pretty sure people fight the elite 4 around level 35-40 now, instead of the 60-70 of older games.
>>
>>323069312
How about you go and spew that bullshit on /b/ instead of shitposting here?
>>
>>323069484
How about you go back to /vp/ instead of talking about your kids game here
>>
File: 1449846922951.jpg (11KB, 236x217px) Image search: [Google]
1449846922951.jpg
11KB, 236x217px
I just want another Black/White sort of game, but not Black/White 3 or some other autistc shit.

Black/White were the comfiest games in the series. They tweaked it just enough to make it new, challenging and fair.
>>
>>323069652
I might, but at least i feel good knowing that i'm not the one lying to people about that very kid's game.
>>
>>323069727
B/W were horrible, the only good part of those games was N, otherwise they were too damned easy
>>
>>323069727
>BW
>challenging in any way outside of Ghetsis in BW1 and Colress in BW2
>>
>>323069890
It's not lying if I'm just ignorant to the exact numbers. From what I've seen, the game is usually out of content by the time I reach level 50 these past few games. I remember it being easier to reach 80-100 level range in old games because there was actually things to do back then.
>>
>>323069312
Why don't you check your facts before saying such bullshit? It literally takes a few seconds on google to know you are wrong
>>
>>323069908
>>323070047
>B/W were horrible
Black/White 1 were almost perfect. The only thing you can objectively call shit is the region and that's mainly because it's a circle. Areas were still pretty interesting.

Plus unless you're grinding Audinos you're getting a decent enough challenge for a pokemon game. Lenora's Watchog is basically the Miltank of that gen.
>>
>>323069727
That's literally the only game I've not wiped on the elite four at least once.
And krookodile basically soloed it. He was my only loss in the entire elite 4, only healing between battles, if at all.
>>
>>323070470

The elite four was horrendous though. The watchog could probably have taken it.
>>
>>323070512

If you wiped on any other elite four that's on you.

Also I always felt like it is a dumb way of judging content, wiped on this or that is not an argument.I haven't wiped on any elite 4 since Red and Blue and It doesn't really matter.
>>
I want a new Pokemon stadium type game with rental Pokemon. I don't have time to raise every single of the hundreds of Pokemon I like, just to have nobody to play with them. My friends and family don't put time into Pokemon, so the only way I can get anyone to play with me is if they can just pick any Pokemon they want like the rentals in Stadium 1 and 2. Limiting who can play Pokemon to the people who put hundreds of hours into the mainline games is what killed Pokemon multiplayer.
Let everyone pick who they want, make them all the same levels, maybe let the players save teams and boom, suddenly local Pokemon multiplayer is alive again. Most people aren't autistic manchildren enough to like Pokemon beyond the occasional battle.
>>
>>323070286
Your mind must be completely fucked, then, since the opposite is true.
Please list these "things to do" and all these recent lv35 trainers so i can laugh.
>>
File: 1451350006938.jpg (40KB, 298x292px) Image search: [Google]
1451350006938.jpg
40KB, 298x292px
Every complain about pokemon is solved by some romhack. I don't even know why people play the gamefreak games anymore
>>
>>323071064
Because people like playing games newer than platinum. Limiting yourself to 4 gens means you will only keep missing out on pokemon
>>
Tripfagging because I probably can't fit my ideas into 2000 characters, and I'm one of those autists that actually gives a shit about people on the internet stealing their ideas.

Since we already have the whole "traded Pokémon disobey until you have all the badges" thing coded in, perhaps that could also play a part in the level scaling; something like coding the levels of wild Pokémon to vary as normal based on location (there would be some places with Pokémon that are just plain consistently stronger) and RNG, but average in at approximately half the Trainer's obedience limit.

Using the ORAS Hoenn League system as a rudimentary example here, this would make the average wild Pokémon level 5 when on the "Route 1" of the game (though ideally the game would do away with numbered routes to encourage non-linearity), and it would jump to 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 50 as you collected the badges in whatever order you wished. Each town would have a long, challenging route that required no HMs and a shortcut that makes use of whatever HM the badge grants you access to; these roads would probably all lead back to the hometown, which would likely need to be merged with the "first on the path" town, so it could better serve as a large hub to tell any events of the story that require sequencing.

I'll elaborate more if people actually give more than two shits, but that's the start of what I envision when I think "non-linear Pokémon game."
>>
>>323071284
Romhacks for gen V and VI games, exist, anon.
>>
File: 1435970084259.jpg (214KB, 746x718px) Image search: [Google]
1435970084259.jpg
214KB, 746x718px
>>323042702
I don't mind linear, just add a bunch of optional detours that reward the player.

Like some other guy said, add quests or town events involving NPCs that have a battle with some stronger/rare/shiny Pokemon at the end, instead of just giving them out, make the main games more like the time period on XY between gym 1 and 2, because even though XY as a whole was shit, I can't remember when I felt like I was in an adventure in these games as much as that time span in XY. Give gym leaders more personality like they had in gens 4 and 5, replace weak HMs with key items.

Holy fucking shit GameFreak, fix your fucking games already, it can't be that hard.
>>
File: this can't be right.jpg (30KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
this can't be right.jpg
30KB, 450x320px
>>323071357
>having to repost something three times
jesus christ
>>
File: Bully.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Bully.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
>>323071824
>>
>>323071357
>>323071074
>>323070812
Did you just fail at a trip a few times, or is this some glorious new meme?

I like the idea of the starting town being some sort of main hub.
When I think of an open world pokemon game though, I don't think of progression from gym to gym. I think there should be areas, possibly like you suggested level wise and shit you can explore everywhere. But all 8 gyms are endgame content. As in, you better have a solid competitive team of level 90+ things to take these fuckers out.

The regular pokemon found around the map could possibly scale in level, but there will be consistent overworld pokemon to face, like perhaps a steelix at the bottom of that mine, or a gang of squirtle you gotta save some chick from. Levelling before the gyms would more be a mix of sidequests and shit.
>>
>>323067727
They at least fixed the issue with having a forced flying type with the Eon Flute, only downside is you have to sit through the fucking mounting animation every time you use it.
>>
>>323059916
>champion blue in rby
>rhydon with tail whip & leer (same move), horn drill (which ignores tail whip and leer), and fury attack
>arcanine has roar and pidgeot has whirlwind (both do nothing in trainer battles) and the AI select them often
>exeggutor has hypnosis, barrage and stomp
>>
>>323072350

Definitely side quests are necessary, evil team in every fucking place is not doing the games any favors anymore. To name one example, Fire Red had the Sevii Islands which had that biker gang and that Hypno.

Drop things like these at every location that you can optionally tackle besides main story and gym leaders.
>>
>>323072838

Also I forgot to add, but in ORAS Sea Mauville was also a fun side quest, the lore of the place was good. I dunno who is the guy hiding these little lore bits in pokemon games but he should be the main guy at writing.
>>
Pokémon needs to have better designed rival teams, not non-linearity.

The major problem is how recent games like ORAS and XY give you godly machines of destruction through no effort of your own, and then don't adjust the enemy teams accordingly.
For the most part the player is the only one using Mega Evolutions constantly, let alone actually using them well.

I'm not saying Gamefreak should go full Smogon autism on the game, it's made for kids and I realize that. But it's just far too easy at this point. Beating the game feels like a chore, not a challenge.

And fuck level-scaling. Challenges need to be carefully tailored, not just hand-waved with a level-scaling gimmick.
If you enter a difficult area early, be prepared to have to sweat to get through it.
>>
>>323073197
The NG+ elite 4 in ORAS was a step in the right direction for difficulty. What they should also do is change some of the pokemon random trainers have depending on what starter you chose for both replay value and possible disadvantages you wouldnt expect.
>>
>>323073197

Yes, give the trainers and specially rivals/gym leaders/e4 actual human being movesets, if the AI uses them correctly or not it's a different story, but if their pokemon actually used good moves it would be more challenging.

Also I agree. Mega evolution is not wrong, but you are given the megastone from the start and only the fucking champion and some other has it.

Why is this people not using full teams as well? I mean gym leaders, elite 4, rivals, en evil team admins and leaders.
>>
>>323064514
but where are your retro graphics and epic story
>>
>>323051473
I'm glad people like you lot aren't making executive decisions.
>WHAT IF PLATINUM GAMES DID A GOD HAND CLONE WITH POKEMON RIGHT
>WHAT IF BETHESDA DID A HARDCORE GRITTY POKEMON GAME WHERE YOU KILL PIKACHU FUCK YEAH
>WHAT IF WE DIDN'T DO POKEMON AND INSTEAD HAD WAIFU SIMULATIONS WTH THE POKEGIRLS INSTEAD GREAT IDEA MUH DICK

Pokemon is fine as is. Just make the progression non-linear, but keep the wild leveled Pokemon the same up to a certain point.
>>
>>323073573
>>323073872
Yup, I agree wholeheartedly.

This thing about major characters not having full teams especially pisses me off. The game should encourage the player to actually build a team, not just steamroll everybody with 2 or 3 Pokés.
>>
In Red and Blue there was some option in what order to do gyms, it would be nice with some, at least, if not everything.

Pokemon, overall, is really stale. They never introduce any new gameplay mechanics. Well, they try, and do add something, but they always turn out to be gimmicks and irrelevant to the main game. Breeding, for example, is something you do once in the main game, if that, and then is left alone until after the story is finished, when professionals will do it a lot and everyone else may do it occasionally. The problem is that it's extremely boring, and unrewarding. Make it less of a chore to do, and make it some interesting gameplay. Not an annoying mini game, but if anyone tried to breed for TMs before 5th gen, that would require you to design some abstract structures in your mind, where you abstractly planned breeding chains. Expand upon breeding chains a lot, to make it really difficult to do optimally, but less luck based. And when you think out how to do it, make getting the actual pokemon pretty fast. Add a lot of complexity to the genes of the pokemon, and give it a nice interface that casuals can understand and see as a puzzle game.

There are many mechanics like this, that are so irrelevant. And grinding is unrewarding. You almost never get anything new. Compare to WoW, where you, at least used to, get something to look forward to almost every level. It doesn't have to be moves.

Or even just allow to browse your pokedex in battle, just add something more interesting in it, just something to entertain you while you battle. You don't need two screens for that. WoW allows you to do both boring travel, and browsing menus to learn more about the game, at the same time. Pokemon could do the same.
>>
>>323043496
>Cutting Challenge Mode in XY and ORAS

I hate Gamefreak's inconsistency with features in their Remakes and Thrid Releases. One game there will be this small add, next game it's gone, then the game after that has the feature again.
>>
>>323058416
What fucking kills me is Origns HAD this exact same explination when Brock asks Red how many badges he has and then changes his Team Accordingly while Giovanni had both an official Gym Team and his Rocket Boss Pokemon separate.

Gamefreak's just fucking lazy, both B/W and X/Y were supposed to be huge revamps to the formula and they still can't change the one damn thing nobody likes about the games.
>>
>>323075115
Its so the can repackage the same features to give the illusion that the series is remaining fresh and innovative.
>>
>>323075115
>then the game after that has the feature again.
And then next game it won't be there.

And then it will take ten years for them reintroduce the mechanic. Granted I don't think that really happened yet.
>>
>>323074428
You really couldn't tell this was a troll post?
>>
>>323075115
Game Freak has always a company full of poor programmers.
>>
File: 392291028.png (585KB, 610x597px) Image search: [Google]
392291028.png
585KB, 610x597px
>Diamond and Pearl are ten years old this year
>>
>>323076483
Don't give /v/ the benefit of the doubt. Some of them really want a waifu simulator or some MMORPG where you go to every region. Most of current /v/ are mere 15-17 year olds and looking at most of ideas only shows me they don't get how a business or making games truly works.
>>
>>323068797
>Still no GoD sequel

And that pic sounded so much better than what we got instead.

>IT'S MAYOR EVICE 2.0, AND HE HAS LEGENDARY POKEMON, ARE YOU NOT HAVING FUN? XD

Dropping Wes' and Rui's story was pretty damn dumb though.
>>
File: 1388870418144.png (123KB, 409x405px) Image search: [Google]
1388870418144.png
123KB, 409x405px
>>323076820
Fuck
>>
>>323053395
Devil children/demikids
>>
>>323042702
The earlier pokemon games were nonlinear though. You often had to find an HM in one location in order to open up a path somewhere else, etc.

It was in 5th and 6th gen that they went full fucking retard and just made the map a boring straight line.
>>
File: ALL_AROUND_ME.jpg (18KB, 512x287px) Image search: [Google]
ALL_AROUND_ME.jpg
18KB, 512x287px
>>323076820
I thought you were joking until I Googled it.
>>
File: 1429068902543.png (465KB, 689x658px) Image search: [Google]
1429068902543.png
465KB, 689x658px
>>323076820

>Discovering Serebii for the first time
>All the time I spent reading pre-release info on D/P

If only I knew what truly awaited me.
>>
>>323077192

Don't lie anon, Kanto and Johto were pretty linear as well, the only thing that was different is that you could change the gym leader order somewhat
>>
>>323068797
These were pretty good. Although curing shadow pokemon was a pain in the ass. That and the battle scenes were too slow, but that's a complaint I have for every 3D pokemon game, ranging from stadium to the 3DS games. They need to figure out a way to have interesting 3D battles without making them so long that I just turn off battle scenes anyway.

>>323043087
For the handheld titles, closest we'll ever get are the romhacks. Which can be pretty damn impressive, just for reference. I remember playing Blaze Black or Volt White 2 (romhacks of B&W2) and the gym leaders were pretty damn difficult. They used advanced tactics and actually switched out and surprised you. You actually needed to compose well-balanced teams.

It's a shame, because strategy of pokemon battles is where the games really shine. It's just that usually people don't realize this because all the enemies are so easy that you usually don't have to worry about it.
>>
>>323042702
Gyms scale their teams based off of how many badges you have. Starting off in the Rock gym would give you a fight against low level rocks while having 7 badges when you fight him would make you fight a Rock team based around sandstorm or maybe Stealth rock plus higher level Rocks.
>>
File: 1452142108493.jpg (25KB, 253x420px) Image search: [Google]
1452142108493.jpg
25KB, 253x420px
>>323076820
Fuck.
>>
File: 1392091928506.png (173KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1392091928506.png
173KB, 500x500px
>>323076820

What have I done with my life?
>>
How about starters that arent Grass, Water, Fire anymore? Lets see something new for once.
>>
>>323078723
There's no other true triangle.
>>
>>323077582
They're linear in the sense that a game like Metroid Prime is linear. Yeah, there's a fairly strict (intended) sequence that you're supposed to take, but that sequence involves some exploration, hunting, and backtracking to places you weren't able to access before.

The newer pokemon games just have a map that is literally just a circle.

I'm not saying the nonlinearity of the older pokemon maps are anywhere close to being as complex as a metroid game, but there was just enough to make you feel like you were actually exploring that world
>>
>>323078723
If they do that the autists will implode in rage.
Same reason why gameplay gets updated but is never changed.
In other words, GF is composed by bad programmers and pussies.
>>
>>323078794
Ground, Rock, Ice
Ground beat Rock
Rock beats Ice
Ice beats Ground
>>
>>323078794
Dark, psychic and fighting?
>>
>>323075473
Wouldn't work so well in the game. Level scaling a shit. Additionally forcing you to do the Gym leaders in a specific order allows the game to move you to where it needs you to be at a particular time for story events. People are so quick to forget that stories are generally best told linearly
>>
>>323078794
Ghost > Psychic > Fighting
>>
>>323078996
They have no problem forcibly railroading you to the next town without your consent anyways so why not just fast travel you there if they need you there for the story?
>>
>>323047191
They decided that with Black and White
Notice how they started only giving gym leaders 3 pokemon tops and 4 to elite 4 members with those games
Problems existed before XY
Black and White ruined the series
>>
>>323079147
Because fast travel comes later in the game. Additionally it creates problems for the plot to have you colouring outside of the lines
>>
>>323079115
fighting can't affect ghost though, and it gets fucked by psychic so it's weak to both dumbass.
>>
>>323079407
The plots are never good anyways. Just throw me in the world and let me get my badges dammit. I dont care that yet another ancient pokemon nobody has heard of has awoken and is destroying the world. I dont care that team *element* is being a dick to people. Thats not my problem.
>>
>>323047289
>>323079347
Unova was pathetic
At least Kalos gave us tons of pokemon to use in game
>>
>>323078985
>>323078987
>>323079115

a perfect triangle works in both directions.

Grass is strong against water AND water is weak against grass
Water is strong against fire AND fire is weak against water
Fire is strong agaisnt grass AND grass is weak against fire.

This does not hold true for the other proposed triangles. There are neutrals and matchups that don't hit at all (like fighting vs ghost)
>>
>>323080098
Ground beat Rock and is weak to Ice
Rock beats Ice and is weak to Ground
Ice beats Ground and is weak to Rock
>>
>>323046917
POKEMON WITH SOULS COMBAT
DEVELOPED BY PLATINUM!!

? .
>>
>>323042702
Why does Pokemon need gyms at all? They should just completely ditch the old formula and make a new story that has nothing to do with getting badges and beating the elite 4.
>>
>>323078794
Flying, Fighting, Rock
>>
>>323048095
Aren't all starter battles the same thing?
Spam attack and laugh when your opponent uses stat-lowering moves instead of chipping away more HP.
>>
>>323080309
>Ground beat Rock and is weak to Ice
But ice does not resist ground
>Rock beats Ice and is weak to Ground
And ground resists rock, okay.
>Ice beats Ground and is weak to Rock
And rock does not resist ice.
>>
>>323042702
>being able to do gyms in any order

You could literally do that (Gyms 5 through 7) in Gold and Silver and it was why Johto was fucking terrible level scaling wise.
>>
File: 1395795489751.jpg (41KB, 373x341px) Image search: [Google]
1395795489751.jpg
41KB, 373x341px
>>323076820
seriously, where did time go...
>>
I liked how they done it in FRLG, I don't know if it was the same in R/B, but you could fight the gyms from 4 to 6 in any order you wanted, and if you got surf you could probably fight the seventh one with only 4 badges. You could also get zapdos with only 4 badges I believe, and articuno with 5.
I hope I remembered all that right
>>
>>323050720
>stuff your pockets with electric pokemon
>have one rock pokemon in storage for the check
>>
>>323042702
They should do what people have wanted them to do since the very beginning: Give you the option to join Team Rocket (or whatever equivalent villain team)

They should also make it so whatever you end up choosing, the main story doesn't change THAT much, but your options as a trainer do. Depending on your choices in the game, you have access to only certain TMs and HMs and held items, for example. Certain pokemon evolve in specific ways depending on your story choices.

Up to this point, the story in any Pokemon game is just the thing you speedrun to get out of the way so you can get to the REAL pokemon training and grinding and such. Making your story choices matter on a global scale would not only introduce replayability, but it would mean the story would actually matter in the post-game and the competitive metagame.
>>
>>323047289
>>323048202
yeah Hoenn and Sinnoh are my favs as well, there's so much shit to explore and hidden stuff

but what i want to see is a return at something like Johto that at some point lets you decide where to, just not with the wanky level curve this time. basically if you decide to go [X] area when you're done with it and pass to [Y] area you'll find the levels of the trainers increased
>>
>>323083325
Hoenn was great up until the ocean. Yeah, it's been beaten to death, but fuck the water. They made it simply far too open. You ended up zigzagging across the entire stretch of water just so you don't miss anything important. Would've been so much better if there were established "pathways" through the water instead of having it be just too open.
>>
>>323057027
>Basically, give it the Skyrim treatment
FUCKING FAGGOT
> >_>
FUCKING FAGGOT
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.