[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I haven't played any Gothic since 2. Are Gothic 3 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4

File: 729427-gothic2notr_015.jpg (693KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
729427-gothic2notr_015.jpg
693KB, 1024x768px
I haven't played any Gothic since 2. Are Gothic 3 and Arcania any good?
>>
>>323015574
Gothic 3 is ok with community patches
Avoid Arcania
>>
Gothic thread?

Gothic thread.

This is actually the game that makes me want to learn German and replay it in the original voiceover.

But I'm not sure it's worth it.
>>
>>323016537
>learning German
Absolutely not worth it, considering in fifty years everyone in Germany will be speaking Arabic.
>>
>>323016537
You can just copy german voice files into the directory and play with english subtitles.
>>
>>323016656
Is it that bad over there?

I used to teach English in Germany via Skype. Everyone in the classroom were from Iran or Turkey.

Why, Deutschland, why?

>>323016794
It's not just the voice of the game. It's the actualy language learning experience.

I'm caught between improving my upper-intermediate Spanish, intermediate Japanese or learn German or Chinese.
>>
So, G2. What playstyle is the best, ranger or mage?
>>
>>323017768
Melee. No game other made me feel like I actually progressed as a swordsman and learnt some new shit. I don't even wanna spoil it by being specific.
>>
Any way to make the first two games not look like ass?
>>
>>323019047
texture mods + widescreen patch
>>
>>323017768
Mage progression is basically you slowly ascending to godhood
>>
>>323019998
What do you mean? It's OP?
>>
>>323020125
Later in the game, yes
>>
>>323020161
Fun, too
>>
>>323015574

3 is alright once you install all the fixes and missing/broken quest patches, after that it'll play just like 2. Don't bother with Arcania, just move onto Risen 1-3 which are close.
>>
>>323020382

>risen 2 & 3
>close

They are even worse than gothic 3 was at release, erased everything that made the series good and turned it into yet another generic and mediocre rpg.

OP save yourself the disappointment and don't touch those. Risen 2&3 are hardly even entertaining even if you've never played gothic or any other rpg before.
>>
>>323020125
you start off with a tiny ass firedart rune, which kills wolfs in like 2-3 hits and later end up with things like firerain or army of the undead. Both spells that clear any area of enemies (and allies, you need to watch out where and what you cast) at the low mana cost of a 150.

my last play through as a mage had me running through the last chapter summoning skellys by the dozen and drowning the last boss in undead bones and rusty swords
>>
Gothic 3 is fun.
Arcania is cancer.
>>
>>323021148

Don't be such a baby, they're not that bad, I wouldn't call them very close to Gothic but its as close as you're going to get.
>>
>>323021365

>not that bad

i.e. shit

You must also consider skyrim and oblivion as 'not that bad'.
They just removed most of the content and characteristics that made the previous games good. I bet everyone was just waiting for a sequel that is 'not that bad'. Nobody would ever expect a sequel to actually improve things.
>>
Do you think that they will do another good Gothic game?
>>
>>323022376
You are full of shit. Risen 1 is a literal Gothic 1 with a slightly different coat of paint, everything that was really important for Gothic 1 (e.g. character progression) is there. It's not exactly innovative, it does not actually add anything new to the formula, but it sure as hell isn't worse than Gothic 1 either.
Risen 2 actually gave the series really interesting and fun settings and visual identity. Shame it was a shit game, mechanically speaking.

Risen 3 was the only game that actually detracted from the atmosphere and settings, as well as the mechanics of the franchise.

None of the Risen games ever really achieved anything Gothic 1/2 did not already do, but the first Risen was by no means a bad game, if faithful to Gothic 1 to a point of a remake rather than a spiritual sequel, and Risen 2, while bad, certainly did not make the settings more generic.
>>
>>323022479
It's quite obvious they're lost what they were good at with Risen 2 and 3. I'll admit 3 was slightly a step back into a proper direction but still so fucking far off that there would have to be like 5 games before we even have a chance of getting anything as good as G1&2
>>
>>323022821
>but it sure as hell isn't worse than Gothic 1 either.
Risen 1's combat, esp melee is fucking awful.
>>
>>323023023
So was Gothics. Absolutely nothing changed there.
>>
>>323022821
He's talking solely about R2 and 3, though.

>>323023023
Stop being bad at video games.
It has one of the best melee combats in vidya.
>>
>>323022934
There was only one island that reminded me of Gothic. The one where you find the Inquisitor's ghost.

It was M-something.
>>
>>323023218
>He's talking solely about R2 and 3, though.
Oh. Oh, my bad than. I completely misread that somehow.
>>
How do you take shit in the first Gothic? I figured out almost all controls but this.
>>
File: gothiccomfy.png (4MB, 1908x1074px) Image search: [Google]
gothiccomfy.png
4MB, 1908x1074px
Gothic 2 is comfiest game
>>
>>323023453
hold lclick+W.
>>
Just listen to this, bros.
https://youtu.be/cmgJJSKwqPI

Pure bliss.
>>
>>323025976
Actually, it's pretty damn generic and dull. And I'm saying that as somebody who clocked several hundreds of hours into both Gothic games.
The strenght of Gothic was never really in music, art direction or worldbuilding. Come to think of it, it wasn't the story or the combat either.

It was really 70% about progression mechanics, 20% handful of likable characters, and 10% those neat little immersion-enhancing things like the way cooking and crafting felt.

Damn, it's quite amazing that some fifteen years later, Beth still haven't managed to copy the way crafting and general interactions with the world worked in Gothic 1/2.
>>
>>323026661
You mean youre a faggot
>>
>>323026661
Are you for fucking real?

You're saying that you can't instantly, right off the bat, hum the Old Camp tune?

FOR
SHAME
FAGGOT
>>
>>323026724
>>323026812
How to tell a braindead fanboy from a person with actual reasoning behind his taste: braindead faggots react with hostility to anything negative said about what they like.

Neither of those melodies are particularly interesting or memorable. Just because you have spent a lot of time exposed to them, and that you liked something associated with them (the core game itself) does not make the music good.
>>
>>323026661
sorta agree if you're talking about 1/2 but Gothic 3's music god tier
>>
>>323026945
Sorry if I offended you, but personally for me Gothic first and foremost is associated with its score.

I played it for the first time when I was 14 or something and it was one of the first games I've played. Other being GTA 3 and Sudden Strike IV.

So, I was awestruck with the quality of tunes that were there. I mean, the dialogues, the setting, the score and the sound effects in general - it was orgasmically good.

But score takes the cake. Old Camp especially.

Sorry for calling you a fag.
>>
>Risen
They had high ambitions and started well but ran out of time after the first 2 chapters.

>Risen 2
They tried to innovate and failed. Only the most basic mechanics still remember their roots. Could have been done a lot better.

>Risen 3
Deep Silver originally wanted to release the game in episodes similar to TWD or Life is Strange and the decision to avoid that idea only arrived somewhat short before the big reveals. That is responsible for the poor island mechanics still being there and other kind of limitations like invisible walls, quest limitations and in general rather uninspired gameplay. Mendoza as companion brought some entertainment atleast.

And now ELEX is getting released in a year.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/411300/

And they will try to pull another big innovation wave. Let's hope it ends up better than Risen 2.
>>
>>323027074
>sorta agree if you're talking about 1/2 but Gothic 3's music god tier
Might be, I picked up Gothic 3 on release, when it was a bloody mess and I abandoned it after few weeks, never going back to it.

>>323027296
Really I don't hear it. I would agree that I liked the sound quality in general, but the music never for a second stood up. I'm listening to the Old Camp motif right now, and it's quite literally the most generic medival theme music imaginable, the sort you see in every TV production low-budgeted studio-shot fairytale movie that used to be produced by dozens a year in my country.
I'm thinking of music that stood up for me at that time, thinking of Diablo 2 first act's theme music, of HoMM2, of Revenant's Score, of Morrowind and The Witcher that came later down the line, and really can't see anything in any way memorable about this.

Are you per chance not from Europe? I might explain that the music sound may sound "exotic" to you and that is why it stood up for you so much? It's true that few games of the time used this time of very classical "medieval" music...
>>
>>323027730
Eastern Europe. Probably just Gothic being my favorite series amped up the quality for me personally.

Although my favorite soundtrack is from NieR, hands down.
>>
>>323027902
>Eastern Europe.
Strange. I'd assume you'd be bored to death of this kind of music, since that is where I come from too and I really have it associated with low budget local TV content.
Maybe it just does boil down to what I've said - it's easy to confuse the association with something you enjoy, with the thing itself. Anyway, I'm not trying to tell you that you don't like the music, merely that from a third person perspective, it's hardly special.

I'd by hard pressed to actually chose favorite soundtrack to a game to begin with. I guess Homeworld (curiously enough coming out at the same years as Gothic 1 did), but that's kinda cheating since the two most memorable songs in it are by Barber and Yes respectively. There are actually so many games with great music when you really look into it.
That is why I find people praising Gothic's music so odd. Of all the things...
>>
>>323027902
Also, the same year as Gothic 1 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-8wMLCA--s&index=14&list=PL17453FF383FC4A14
Game was shit and the production value on the music is shit too, but this was the kind of music I remember from that era.
>>
>>323028294
Another fag from Eastern Yurop here, this kind of music never gets old.
Maybe I just have shit taste.
>>
>>323015574
GOTHIC IS SHIT OVERRATED SERIES BY PC FAGS AND A LITERAL MEME GAME BY THE EU
>>
>>323028730
Here is your reply, and I hope you'll get a better deal in your next life...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLyqSQhS6E0
>>
Any reason why TES fans hate this game?
I kinda like both besides Skyrim.
>>
>>323029562
Bethdrones like to make excuses for the shortcomings of their games by saying "But they're the only ones making games with this degree of freedom" etc., so they hate it when people bring up Gothic
>>
>mfw americans missed out on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43kJxqijfH8
>>
>>323016537
>not choosing supetior polish voiceover
Really, It's bretty gud, probably ending of polish voiceovers golden era. Baldur's Gate voiceover is among legendary.
>>
>>323029562
Actually, no. TES fans actually never hated Gothic games. Most of them don't even know that Gothic existed, and those who knew generally played it, said it was OK and then kinda forgot about it, except for those few who got caught in the shitflinging competition later down the line.

It's the other way around though: Gothic fanboys tended to hate TES with a passion. Actually, Gothic fanbase used to be some of THE WORST in history of RPG's, period, mostly due to the insane spite towards TES and Morrowind most of all. It made both games nearly impossible to discuss in a presence of a Gothic fanboy for a while.

It's not that I can't understand where it came from: Gothic did not get enough appreciation from the western media, while TES was flaunted all over the place, while both games deserved equal attention and praise, but it still does not change anything that the Gothic vs. TES arbitrary dichotomy is something rabid Gothic fanboys created, not the other way around.
>>
>>323020125
mage are actually strong after chapter 5 which is 70-80% of the whole game's progress

if you can't 1-1 an orc in chapter 4, you're fucked. so mage are for veteran gothic's player only
>>
>>323029840
Gothic 3 had more freedom then Oblivion, desu. Of course, non-scaling world was a bit of limit, but you get pretty powerful quite fast.
>>
>>323016897
The government wants to fuck over the German people because "t-they're evil Nazi people!!"
>>
File: G1-MW-unique walking.jpg (65KB, 800x627px) Image search: [Google]
G1-MW-unique walking.jpg
65KB, 800x627px
>>323029562
>Any reason why TES fans hate this game?

No. It's just pointless shit posting.
>>
>>323030146
>if you can't 1-1 an orc in chapter 4, you're fucked. so mage are for veteran gothic's player only

It's not that as much as your average will go full mage thinking it's entirely viable throughout the game. You NEED to get them early STR points and weapon training before their cost doubles when you become a mage.
>>
>>323030146
>that feel when those fuckers in black robes come
>they are unkillable with fire spells
>had to marvin way to Jarkendar for ice spells
Fucking Beliar, man.
>>
>>323026661
YOU SHOULDNT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR
>>
>>323030632
>YOU SHOULDNT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR
What you mean - I've been there, witnessed the whole rise of Gothic vs. TES antipaties first handed.
>>
>>323030318
What a stupid image.
>>
>>323030632
SHH YOURE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK TO US
>>
>>323030851
Not him, but care to elaborate?
>>
>>323031254
What the fuck do I need to elaborate to you for?

Have you even PLAYED morrowind?

Guild guides, silt striders, levitate, fortify speed, there are so many fucking options available to you when it comes to travel.

The person who made that image clearly played it for an hour or two, MAYBE got to level 2 and passed judgement on the game.
>>
>>323031930
>Have you even PLAYED morrowind?
No, why else would I ask you to elaborate?
>>
>>323032146
>lol not him u guys

Just fucking stop, dude. Get a grip.
>>
>>323026945
Hahaha le fanboy meme

I never played either game. Just watched my brother play them. Looked, felt and is great
>>
>>323032479
The fuck are you on about, even?
Seriously, I have no fucking clue what point you are trying to make, but what ever it may be, starting your post with "I haven't even played the games" is not going to help you in any way, shape or form.
>>
>>323031930
>Guild guides, silt striders, levitate, fortify speed, there are so many fucking options available to you when it comes to travel.
None of that shit matters though. Just because you have the option to skip through all those uninteresting parts of the world doesn't make them suddenly interesting.
>>
>>323032832
Not him, buy you are a fucking retard. Do you actually have diagnosed ADD or something?
>>
>>323032468
What are you getting so worked up about?
>>
>>323032967
I will spell it out for you nice and slowly, because you're obviously a fucking imbecile.

The image is trying to show that Gothic has a tighter world with more densely packed content. Morrowind, by comparison, has a larger world, but one that is padded with boring shit in between areas of interest.

You replied, saying "b-but you can skip all that!" What does that add to the discussion at all? Just because you can skip that content does not make it good content.
>>
>>323033141
>LOL U MAD

Good one, you got me.
>>
>>323033342
More like
>LOL Y U MAD
>>
Gothic 3 is fun and comfy os fuck.
Although it basically has no stoty whatsoever the setting, World design and soundtrack make it great. There are some cool characters in it too, definetely worth a try.

Arcania is pure trash tough.stay away from it as far as possible.
>>
>>323033331
I get the fucking point, except the little detail that Gothic is (according to the retarded image) not more densely packed. The amount of time you spend traveling between the hubs of content is the same, as you can fucking see when you draw lines between them - making the parallel of playing Morrowind without wandering off and taking the direct routes between the hubs.
The difference is not that it's more densely packed, but that it has exactly the same amount of core "content and downtime", just a lot of EXTRA stuff on top of that that you can access or you don't have to. So it's you who does not actually understand what that image implies.

Second of all:
>You replied, saying "b-but you can skip all that!"
I don't know which part of "NOT HIM, BUT" is impossible to comprehend to you, but either way I guess it speaks volumes about the actual intelligence we are dealing with here.

And finally - why did you not answer my question? Do you actually have ADD? Why do expect that there MUST be something CONSTANTLY distracting you and that open land is somehow a bad thing in a game? There is actually never more than some 300 meters of open space between a ruin, or a tomb or a city in Morrowind, ironically enough, yet somehow, you are actually offended that the game asks you to (VOLUTARILY, ENTIRELY IF YOU WANT AND WITH MULTIPLE OPTIONS TO AVOID IT) traverse - oh my god - a bit of fucking landscape.
WHAT. THE FUCK. IS WRONG WITH YOU?
>>
File: 196811446.jpg (57KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
196811446.jpg
57KB, 409x409px
>all the shitflinging
Just like the old times.
>>
>>323015574

Arcania is good if you play it as a Risen/Witcher style game and forget that it's part of the Gothic series.

it's combat system is far better than that used in gothic though
>>
>>323035264
>Combat System is better
>Hold MB1 to win
>Mash Dodge Roll to win

Fuck off.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.