[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now I know why the term artificial difficulty was born. This

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: darksouls-1080p.jpg (565KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
darksouls-1080p.jpg
565KB, 1920x1080px
Now I know why the term artificial difficulty was born. This game isn't hard, it just prays on your patience. Enemies are mad slow and animations are also slow, oftentimes tricking twitch/reflex players into thinking the hit will land when oftentimes hits will just teleport. It's counter to what we know about video games.

The combat is fun though I think it's missing something that would make it great. Never played the rest of the games.
>>
>>322976512
>oftentimes hits will just teleport.
What?
>>
You're thinking of Dark Souls 2
>>
>>322976667
Erratic movements that sometimes you think the enemy will attack and will be mad fast to land a hit on you. Also, I forgot to mention that enemies track you. That means that while they are about to land a hit on you, and you move or roll away from their hit, they will just track you.

>>322976795
DS1.
>>
>>322977015
Sorry you just need to get better if you think Dark Souls 1 is unfair.
>>
>>322977015
Enemies only track you during their windup animation, they don't track on the downswing. Anyway, you want to be relying on i-frames while dodging.
>>
>>322976512
>prays on your patience
Strong retardation here.
Preys on your impatience.
Dark Souls isn't artificially difficult; in fact, it isn't difficult at all. Proceed with caution, master rolling, and you won't have any problems.
>>
>>322977164
I didn't say it was unfair, just pointing out it's flaws and misconceptions. It's another game that relies on TaE and punishes reflex/twitch players.

>>322977732
>ou want to be relying on i-frames while dodging.
Will do.
>>
>>322978046
It does use trial and error, but it doesn't punish "twitch players". Are you wearing heavy armor? Because that slows down your roll.
>>
>>322978046
>punishes reflex/twitch players
I don't understand what you mean by this. You can spend a few seconds watching what attacks the enemy has while safely blocking and keeping your distance before you try to 360 noscope the entire game.
>>
>>322977945
>Preys on your impatience.
Yeah, thanks for the correction. Though I wouldn't even say it preys on your impatience, sometimes enemies goes through ridiculous lengths of being slow just for the fuck of it. Especially when you want to get back into fighting a boss. And sometimes I think the AI reads on player input.
>>
>>322976512
>tricking twitch/reflex players into thinking the hit will land
You just sound like you're bothered that the game isn't timing itself to your reactions. Don't be so full of yourself, try to react to what's happening instead of what you think should be happening
>>
>>322977945
Worst of all it has one of the most exploitable features in a game. Circling around enemies, each and every enemy/boss can be defeated this way. Perhaps that's one of the reasons the fatso fight was so satisfying since it wasn't that easy to do that. The issue is made worse when you have backstabs as well. Game is easy as shit, also the braindead "zombie" AI. Goddamn "gamers" think this shit is hard.

Amazing game though, totally renewed my love for videogames. Fucking brilliant art, world and ambiance coupled with competitive gameplay.
>>
The only game in the series that can be said has artificial difficulty is DS2 and even then its not that bad. I started playing it a few weeks ago and literally no boss has given me any trouble, most of them go down in first or second try. But it does have bullshit gank squads and bosses with mobs, but if you git gud you know when a horde is about to appear and how to deal with the mobs surrounding a boss.
>>
>>322978176
>Are you wearing heavy armor? Because that slows down your roll.
Now that you mention that, you start with a knight yet he's slow in an armor when he's supposed to be at least competent with it. Stats are also confusing since I don't know what 16 in Strength even means? Is that good? What is the max? etc. Same goes for Dex, while both Dex and Strength boosts weapon damage, one will let you wield advance weapons and the other strong weapons, yet I don't know what strong or advance weapons are so I am wasting points in things I don't know.

>>322978246
I mean when the enemies tries to attack but take too long. It's ridiculous and sometimes they won't attack for a long time.

>>322978440
>try to react to what's happening instead of what you think should be happening
I know this is what I should be doing, but it's slow as hell. and like I said above, sometimes even the enemies will take a while before attacking you. Usually when an attack animation is done you counter as they start, but in this game, you have to wait until the hit is almost on your body, but it isn't done quick, it takes time for the enemies to build that attack. AND even then, when they are building that slow attack, the hit will be sped up to hit you. That's why I said it tricks you into thinking is about reflex.
>>
>>322978290
Hmm, few enemies have counters and you can force pretty much every enemy in the game to behave as you wish by learning their strike ranges. The game is 100% about patterns. Focus on active observation and response. Practise parries and rolls. If you learn these the game honestly becomes trivial. These days I get hit once in a blue moon, and when I do it's because I fucked up.
>>
>>322979129
play the game and u might learn something
>>
>>322979129
What's too long to you? It's definitely consistent and fair throughout the entire game. I think you're making excuses for not steamrolling everything without a second thought like every other modern game out there. Now this is kind of an issue in the SECOND game but it's the opposite of what you say. The delay plays to twitch/reactionary play and punishes preemptive/spam rolling.
>>
>>322979764
Enemies in the burg have very long, slow windups and then quick downswings, it throws people off.
>>
>>322979129
>you have to wait until the hit is almost on your body
>it tricks you into thinking is about reflex
if the timeframe to dodge is very small, then it IS about reflex. The game isn't tricking anyone, you're just not adapting to it

As far as stats go, make sure you have a fair amount of Vit, and you should pick either Str or Dex and just focus on one of them. Weapons have their damage bonuses and requirements based on one of stats. Usually big slow weapons are STR, and small faster weapons go off of DEX. There should be an indicator on the weapons that will give you a clue which category they fall into. It sounds like you should just keep going on STR
>>
>>322980041
>it throws people off
Instead of the usual >git gud I will go easy on you and say
>git used to it
>>
>>322976512
Dark Souls is an example of high difficulty. Artificial difficulty is when a game just pumps enemy HP while reducing player damage to avoid the additional work of creating a genuine Hard Mode.

You can call Dark Souls cheap and fucking annoying, but Artificial Difficulty isn't the right term.
>>
>>322980041
They also have 0 poise, low hp, don't do shit to shields, have incredibly long recovery after swinging, and can be strafed. Lots of new players have trouble with the shield guys too but a simple kick, strafe, or parry destroys them.
>>
>>322979259
This is what I'll eventually have to do, just learn their strikes.

>>322979349
I'd agree with you if it didn't meant wasting time.

>>322979764
What he said. >>322980041
>>322980174
>you're just not adapting to it
This is probably the case, it might still be too early, I will continue to try, I will beat this game sooner or later.

Yea, I think I prefer STR, will I be able to use that Black Knight's Sword that I got early on?

>>322980302
>>git used to it
Yup, eventually.

>>322980536
Hmm, I see. I do hate that shit in games, which is why I don't play Hard mode since it's just a waste of time, I think that also falls in line with RPGs having to farm instead of boss battles having good AI. I don't necessarily know if that's a problem with Turn base or something. That's another discussion for another day though.
>>
>>322976512
I don't have that problem in DaS1. It was DaS2 and some bosses in Bloodborne that took the stupid delayed attacks to ridiculous heights.
>>
>>322980835
>Yea, I think I prefer STR, will I be able to use that Black Knight's Sword that I got early on?
I think it has a high Dex requirement for a STR weapon, 18 or something, but the strength requirement is even higher. When you're over the weapon in the menu hit X/Square to change the description and get detailed info on it.
>>
>>322976512

dark souls is only hard when you don't understand the mechanics, just like literally every other game in existence. if you ever die, it's because you fucked up.

i dont get why this is so hard for you people to understand
>>
>>322980982
Don't know about those games but I will get to them.

>>322981014
I'm almost at 18 DEX anyways since I've been putting points in that and STR since I was afraid of being left out of a weapon mid to late game.
>>
>>322981683
>I'm almost at 18 DEX anyways since I've been putting points in that and STR since I was afraid of being left out of a weapon mid to late game.
Generally a good idea on a first playthrough.
>>
>>322981683
Look at the required stats for the Silver Knight Strait Sword, it's a favorite of mine and after reading your descriptions it seems like you'll like it

Takes a while to get it though, any weapon can get you through the game as long as you upgrade your equipment
>>
>>322978046
It's supposed to punish twitch reflexes at first, as you need to be patient, observe, and only strike when the time is right. The game punishes the shit out of button mashing, especially the way that button presses are cached. Twitch reflexes are however rewarded if you can master parrying.
>>
>>322976512
>errant hit-boxes
>enemy attack tracking
>non existent level geometry for enemy attacks only
>cheap bosses that can only be approached in one way -- feltch-flailing
>>
>>322979129
Weapon Scaling is what is important.

STR increases your ability to wield heavy strong weapons like aces, maces, clubs, and greatswords, whereas DEX is for weapons that are light and fast like estocs, rapiers, shotels, and falchions.

A weapon has a letter grade in how well it scales. So for example, you have two clubs: one has a C in scaling, the other has a B. The club with a B in its STR scaling will be stronger than the C as you level up your STR stat. The highest scaling stat is S but it is very rare.

Some weapons do not have any scaling. Those weapons are not worth your time aside from maybe one specific Dragon weapon, and elemental enchanted weapons.

Stat points put into Vitality and Endurance are never wasted. Resistence points are always wasted. INT is for magic casting, Faith is for miracle casting. Generally miracles suck ass.
>>
>>322981683
Pumping both STR and DEX evenly is called a quality build. You won't be using advanced DEX or advanced STR weapons but you will be able to use middle of the road weapons. Longsword, Claymore, Silver Knight weapons (especially Spear), Balder Side Sword, Broadswords are all solid choices. Claymore is a slower heavy sword but scales well in both stats and has a very versatile moveset and great reach. It also breaks enemy guard in exchange for being a little slow.
>>
File: 1379193032173.jpg (2MB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1379193032173.jpg
2MB, 1000x1400px
>>322982587
This guy knows his shit.
>>
>>322982045
Will do.

>>322982079
>It's supposed to punish twitch reflexes at first, as you need to be patient, observe, and only strike when the time is right. The game punishes the shit out of button mashing, especially the way that button presses are cached. Twitch reflexes are however rewarded if you can master parrying.
Yeah, and there is no action cancelling either. Something I'm very used to.

>>322982587
Thanks for the tip. I figures the rest of those points are useless since I ain't a magic guy, never was in any RPG. So I focused on STR, DEX and END.

>>322982902
Thanks for the tip.
>>
>all these shitters complaining about Dark Souls 2
>waahhhh, there's too many of the guys
>waahhhh, this guy won't let me circle around him
>waaahhhh, this guy won't let me stun lock him
For a supposedly "hard" game series, there's a bunch of fucking whiners in the fanbase
>>
>>322983458
Yeah, once you choose an action your character is committed to it. It leads to the game favoring smarter decisions.

Just FYI, your weapon's level matters far far more than your own personal level. You will see more improvement in your damage output if you focus on leveling up your weapon first, then yourself. Normal weapons can be upgraded to +15 max, usually getting a boost in scaling at the +15 mark. You can find the weapon ascension embers for normal weapons in the depths and New Londo Ruins. There are other ways to ascend a weapon but I'd try those another playthrough. Crystal and Raw aren't worth it.
>>
>>322983458
>So I focused on STR, DEX and END
Don't forget VIT. Don't assume you're never going to get hit, shit happens, and if it's really low there are bosses who will knock your ass out in 1 hit
>>
>>322983702
>stop complaining about poor design guys
>stop it
>please stop it
Nobody has fun with ganks, anon. Nobody. DaS1 had a handful of ganks with trash enemies for the "oh shit" factor. DaS2 relies on them.
>>
>>322984118
Except there's more forced ganks in DS1, idjit.
>>
>>322984832
(You)
>>
>>322984986
(You)
>>
Dark Souls is a special game. I don't like it but it's one of those games that doesn't spoonfeed you and requires observation. You struggle, die and from that, you learn enemy patterns. To someone that has finished the game, playing it again is surprisingly piss easy. Why? Because you know the patterns? It's not one of those luck type games where you try 20 times and then luckily win. You win by understanding enemies.

I still don't like it however, the combat is too slow for my tastes. I'm more of a Ninja Gaiden type of guy.
>>
>>322987394
Same, more of a DMC3 kind of guy. The game isn't bad, it's just slow and takes time to get used too. I hear that Souls 3 and Bloodborne are fast and has better combat.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.