[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Etrian Odyssey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

File: vHQOY.jpg (232KB, 500x445px) Image search: [Google]
vHQOY.jpg
232KB, 500x445px
Etrian Odyssey thread. We had a pretty good thread the other day and I wanna talk about these games!

>dungeon crawling
>map making
>raging
>speculating about EOV

Let's go!
>>
File: hollow_queen_by_nedhe-d6iwbxh.jpg (354KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
hollow_queen_by_nedhe-d6iwbxh.jpg
354KB, 786x1017px
OP here again:

>truck my way through Misty Ravine
>encounter this bitch
>she wipes my party in 2-3 turns

Christ, what am I supposed to do here? I'm using Wufan's binds but I can't for the life of me survive her attacks. My party is around level 21-23. What level should I be to survive this fight?
>>
I've never finished one.
>>
>>322954431
I was 26. I had the same problem. But this is my first Etrian game so I didn't know binds were useful.
>>
>>322954452

Don't give up anon! Don't you want to make it to Yggrasil?
>>
>>322953928
I've seen like 5 threads die off in the last 2 days, 2 of them were mine. No one cares about EO until V comes out.
>>
File: 1441857475757.jpg (1MB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1441857475757.jpg
1MB, 1400x1050px
I really want to play through Untold 1 again, I never did the 6th stratum. I also should beat 4's super bosses sometime.

Finally beat 3, and holy shit, that game was great. Really hope Untold 3 lives up to it. It had some annoying shit though, like a lack of good ways to bind.
>>
>>322954980

Is 3 really that good? 4 was my first and I liked it, but I thought maybe I would be disappointed if I went backwards through the series. I heard the first two also don't really hold up well; are the remakes worth trying out?
>>
>>322954431
>>322954695
Binding legs makes it so they can easily be hit.

Binding arms and head will prevent various types of attacks. In this fight, arms will stop her allies from dealing any real damage, head will stop her from using attacks to wipe out your party.

What you need to do is bind legs, arms, head, then repeat that cycle until the fight is over. Wufan is ideal for this, obviously. But you don't have a lot of wiggle room on it.
>>
Just finished Etrian Odyssey Untold: TMG last month, I liked what I played.

Should I get Untold 2 or Etrian Odyssey 4?
>>
>>322955237
also, if you curse her and have her die by the curse's reflected damage, you get a conditional drop that is used to make a specific piece of armor.
>>
>See Untold 1 reached $30 on Amazon
>tell myself I'll wait to buy it until it goes lower
>it goes out of stock for a while
>now it's back at $50

fuck me /v/. has it gone out of print/will it ever come back down in price? I don't want to pay $50 even though it'd probably be worth it.
>>
>>322953928
I got Etrian Odyssey 4 during that sale and haven't made it far. I've tried like 3 times to kill that red beast in the first dungeon and I've failed every time. It's a huge pain in the ass to go all the way back through the dungeon so I haven't been playing the game.
>>
Today I finally managed to beat Primevil in EOI. I feel like a huge scrub since I had to use a guide to know when to use anti skills and had to prepare myself with anti binds and Refresh. Tell me I'm not the only one who had problems with this unnecessarily hard boss.

Also, I'll be playing EOII as soon as I finish the last quest. Should I or should I just jump to EOUII? What are the differences?

Same with EOUI, is it worth playing even if I just beat the DS one? I know there's Story mode too.
>>
>>322955176
It's like 4 but with bigger dungeons and a worse subclass system.
>>
>>322954431
Try fighting some FOEs in the dungeons for xp and practicing how you stack damage and debuffs.

Be sure to have methods for dealing with the enemies she summons to the back.

>>322955176
3 is great. It will be a little clunky coming from 4, but after playing it for a little you'll probably feel just fine. Only major downside is you can't check enemy weaknesses in dungeons (although there is a sound effect) and resistances to binds isn't shown.

As for the Untold 1 and 2, they're both great. 1 has kind of a crummy story mode and a weird system called grimoires for abilities, but beyond that its a good game. U2 is fantastic and improves on all the issues U1 was lacking in.
>>
>>322956218
Are you using shortcuts and attacking it from behind?

>>322955313
Probably 4 since U2 has some quality of life improvements.
>>
>Atlus shows us Etrian Odyssey V teaser
>No mentions of class, gameplay mechanics, anything
>just some music and a tree

why is this allowed
>>
>>322955237
I beat her yesterday, but it was a pretty sloppy fight. Im moving on to the boiling lizard, but I'm currently training a sniper the rest of my party since I fucked up someones skill order.
What level should I get before I fight the Boiling Lizard?
>>
>>322956351
i don't know what the differences are, really, but i really liked frederica as a character in EOU1.

Its a matter of if you even care about the story. Most people playing EO don't much care, so untold tends to get flak, but in and of themselves the games are quirky. They are also considered generally easier than the others in the series, for example 4 was a fair bit harder than U1.

Its a matter of what you are looking for. Story or difficulty.
>>
>>322956218

Use the shortcuts. It's still not an easy trek down to B3F but it makes it at least bearable. Also: the turn after he does his big charge up swing, he will always use counter. Don't make the fool mistake of attacking him after that or you'll just get even more bruised. Use that turn to heal up if you can and you can avoid getting wrecked.
>>
>>322956656
Because up until last year EO was being released yearly. EOIV came out more than 2 years after 3.
>>
>>322956737
U1 on Expert was much, much harder than IV.
>>
Here's a pity bump since I know some of you just got into the series during the sale, discussion is pretty much dead, and the thread will inevitably become an art dump as 1-2 guys desperately try to keep it away from page 10
>>
>>322956640
Most of the shortcuts seem to go backwards but yeah I use the ones I found that go forward. I attack it from behind but I think I'll be able to do it next time.

Every time I've gotten to it, I forget to use an item in the overworld to give my party a buff and I also used the rush attacks before he does that charge attack.
>>322956946
Didn't know that about counter, I think I'll get it the next time.
>>
>>322956656

Also, has anyone else noticed that they didn't announce a platform? I mean, we can assume it'll be 3DS since half the game revolves around making maps, but the fact that they haven't said so makes me a little nervous.
>>
>>322956717
i don't really know what level you need to be. In lieu of that, i'll give you some advice.

First, lots of fire res stuff. Obviously. Fire charms are recommended.

Second, i'm not sure if you know this yet or not, but if you can get to the back of the room and destroy the large scale, it will cut the bosses HP in half. This is hard however, since the boss is chasing you around the room.

Its weak to ice magic. However if the last blow is achieved with fire damage, you will get a conditional item called the effulgent horn. It lets you make a piece of armor called a fairy chain with 136, 2 str, and 2 tec.

I dunno how much this will help you, but god speed.
>>
>>322957025
most people will never play the games on expert, which is the point of me saying "Generally"
>>
>>322957180

Oh yeah, the shortcuts only go backwards until you enter them once, then they go both ways. What you may find helpful is doing a dunegon run where you just open up the shortcuts, use an ariadne thread to get back to town & save, and then they'll be open for every run in the future!
>>
>>322957573
136 defense. sorry.
>>
>>322956737
>>322957025
Expert Mode is only for Story Mode or does it apply for Classic Mode too? And for those who already played both originals and Untold, should I go for EOII or skip and get Untold? I may end playing them all anyway, is a very fun series.
>>
File: 1379362731972.png (432KB, 542x544px) Image search: [Google]
1379362731972.png
432KB, 542x544px
>>322957354
There really isn't any other platform for it to be on, unless they're planning something crazy like waiting for the NX. For the moment I'm just glad we know for sure now it still exists, and I'm going to push all the bad thoughts about what they might be doing to screw it up out of my head as hard as I can.
>>
>>322953928
I played both Untolds last year and loved both of them. Both were great, and I thought the story mode party was a lot of fun in U2 (did classic in U1). Though in all honesty, I think classic is the better overall experience.

I played IV on launch but thought it was just OK, maybe because I was still unfamiliar with the mechanics. I do like having a single labyrinth over a world map though. It makes the dungeon crawling feel more epic. Nothing beats beating a boss and seeing a stratum completely different than the previous one. I think EOV will also have a world map but I hope the environments are more exciting and we have a EO1-tier final stratum.

I expect EOV to be on the 3DS, or at the very least, a Nintendo platform. The cartography is such a staple of the series, and as a result it would lose its appeal when ported to other systems. Even the Vita, which has a touch screen, is just way too inaccurate to make a map with.
>>
>>322957772
>Oh yeah, the shortcuts only go backwards until you enter them once, then they go both ways
Wow I really wish that I knew that. I assumed they only went one way. Yeah that makes it a lot easier.
>>
>>322957573
Thanks senpai, I've been putting off the fight but maybe the best thing to do is to see how I do the first time and make a plan after the eventual wipe.
>>
>Ray Gigant, Demon Gaze II, and Stranger of Sword City coming out on the Vita this year
>EO-motherfucking-V is finally gonna fucking release on 3DS

2016 is truly the year of the DRPG
>>
Any news on 5? Been a while since the teaser. Untolds kind of suck.
>>
File: EO2U.jpg (196KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
EO2U.jpg
196KB, 500x707px
>EO3U's cast won't be as good as EO2U's

I don't want it to have a story mode.
>>
>>322958290
Literally nothing, other than a recent official confirmation that they are still working on it.
>>
>>322958356
>having shit enough taste to actually like the cast in II

I agree on not wanting a story mode though, except for every Untold title
>>
>>322958239
I just gave you most of the pertinent information, so that shouldn't be too hard. After that, its mostly a matter of output to damage taken.

almost all of its attacks deal fire damage, so if you plan around that, its not really a hard fight. it may be tedious though.
>>
>>322958356
You make it sound like 2's cast would require effort to upstage. They were better than 1's at least.
>>
File: 143850294112.jpg (16KB, 351x329px) Image search: [Google]
143850294112.jpg
16KB, 351x329px
>>322958356
>playing story mode in the first place
>>
>>322958503
At least they didn't drop it.
>>
>>322958356
I liked the story mode in U2, so I'm cautiously optimistic about an eventual U3. Mostly I just want a conclusion to what happened to Fafnir.

>after failing to find her lost knight, Arianna reluctantly returns home where she is forced into a loveless political marriage by her uncaring family
>>
>>322958815
>No new posts
Alright final questions before I try and fight this guy.
What should I subclass my Landsnerkcht and Sniper as?
Should I retire party members later in the game?
>>
File: 1445962886941.jpg (178KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
1445962886941.jpg
178KB, 800x560px
>>322958356
We'll have a robot, we'll be fine.

Also U2's party will likely be present, judging from the ending. I'm not exactly looking forward to story mode since that means we'll have to play the game 4 times to get everything.
>>
>>322953928
I have pic related but only played for an hour. Should I pick it back up again? Tips for starting out?
>>
>>322958142

Yeah, I mean if EOV isn't on 3DS where else would it be. Although...

>EOV on Wii U
>Gorgeous HD stratums & enemies
>Map drawing takes place all on the gamepad

I'd buy it. I'd prefer to keep it portable, but there's a lot they could do with a console version.
>>
>>322958231
There are one-way shortcuts, but they will tell you that with highlighted text whenever you examine one.

>>322958268
Stranger looks cool but I'm unsure of some of the mechanics. Life points sound like a pain and I would probably just savescum. The class switching sounds cool but since it's limited and I don't know if you can see what skills you are investing in ahead of time, it sounds like a huge pain to plan a party without a guide.
>>
>>322957712
Expert is the intended difficulty. You do more damage in normal mode plus you don't instantly get a game over when you wipe, which has never been the case in any game.
>>
>>322957864
pls respond
>>
>>322958815
Based on the writing quality for these story modes, theres no doubt in my mind that Atlus will make characters that are worse, based purely on the fact that they won't want to repeat tropes from the past two games.

Classic mode will still be cool though.
>>
I recently started playing Untold 2 and I gotta ask:

What do you think of the restaurant feature? I just noticed this wasn't present in the original EOII and I wonder how much impact it does in the gameplay other than give you more money.
>>
>>322959513

A good/balanced starting party is Landskecht, Dancer, Nightstalker all in the front row, with Medic and Fortress in the bank. Invest in Taunt & Auto Taunt on your Fort to tank most of the damage to your party. That's a good starting point-- it should get you through the first maze with relative ease, and you'll find your own strategies after that. IV has the benefit of being pretty balanced so you could mix on the classes and still make it with some planning.
>>
>>322960136
The game was probably tweaked to work with it.

So its actual impact is probably very little.
>>
>>322953928

What order should I go thought the games?
>>
Any fun parties that utilize Hexer in U1? I'm starting a new game and want to do something besides L/P/DH A/M, but I don't know what synergizes well.
>>
>>322960136
I didn't mind it. Gives the player another reason to go after certain enemies even if most of the buffs were useless.
The music was nice too. Best home theme.
>>
>>322960273
Cheers!
>>
File: i-168.jpg (486KB, 1448x2048px) Image search: [Google]
i-168.jpg
486KB, 1448x2048px
>>
>>322960691
Anything from III onwards is a good starting point. I and II are the most unbalanced, which the remakes mostly fix. If you had to pick one, choose whatever is cheap on amazon/the eshop. It seems like they go on sale pretty frequently.
>>
>>322960691
No one will ever tell you this, but try them in release order. Each game gets more quality of life improvements, and it's nice to see how the mechanics evolved to what they are now. If you don't like a specific game you could always skip it and move onto the next one. Although a lot of the older games had some balance issues and skills being straight up broken.
>>
>>322960691
Whichever order you can get them in, but be warned that the older ones will feel dated.
>>
>>322960136
I like it, I always wanted to see what the characters would say about the bizarre stuff Regina served. I hope U3 has features like that for the bar, item shop, etc. It gives an extra flavor to story mode and Edie is the best Etrian.
>>
>>322961370

Are Untold 1 and 2 classic a good replacement for original 1 and 2?
>>
>>322953928
Grimoire stones are a piece of shit and I will refuse to buy another game that features them. EOIV had the best skillpoint system, there was 0 reason to not have the untold games use it or a modified version of it.
>>
>>322961956
no.
>>
>>322961956
yes
>>
>>322961956
maybe
>>
>>322961956
I don't know.
>>
>>322961956
I don't know
>>
>Finished EO4, most of EO3
>Buy EOU1
>Get burnt out of story mode half way through third stratum, miss making my own parties, not sold on the bad story
>Make own party, can't be bothered going through 3 strata to where I was
What do?
>>
>>322962171
EOU2 improved them quite a bit, enough to be fairly useful, but as long as it's still essentially random what grimoires you can sub-classing from III and IV will always be better.
>>
>>322955827
I was really turned off by the story mode, so didn't buy it. Have been waiting for a sale now for years. WHICH NEVER HAPPEN.
Also euro
>>
>>322961956
can you repeat the question?
>>
>>322962804

Go to the third strata where you were
>>
>>322962804
You could switch to picnic and breeze through it. There's no penalty for doing so.
>>
>>322963041
>>322962804

What he said. Just use the casual mode to get back where you were and continue onwards, if that does it for ya.
>>
>>322963000
>>322963041
>>322963168
aww shit I didn't remember you could change the difficulty after starting. Did people legitimately play on less that expert? It just felt like the other games
>>
OP here. Looks like the thread is winding down. Glad it lasted as long as it did. Before it's gone for good:

>favorite game?
>favorite class?
>favorite stratum?
>favorite song?
>>
>>322964421
2/U2
Hexer
Cherry Tree Bridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmcSXVyzzM
>>
>>322964421
>EO3
>EO3's Monk Shame that fist wasn't good enough as a damage class
>EOU1's Gladsheim felt cool
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw6Wc3VzNzE by a large margin holy shit
>>
Unpopular opinion time

Etrian Mystery Dungeon had it's issued but I still liked it
>>
>>322964421
>Tough call between 3 and U2. 3 had those god tier dungeons, but U2 had beautiful music and so much fucking content. Also I really liked grimoires in U2, almost as good as subclassing.
>Imperial or U2 Beast
>Lost Shinjuku
>5th stratum song in 4
>>
>>322965484
Considering the genre has been gimped for quite a while, anything released would feel good enough
>>
>>322964421
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOsRITXDBxk
>>
>>322956218
Just play Easy Mode.
>>
I haven't played in a while, but I do remember that I was near the end of the third stratum but was stuck with that manta ray boss. I'll get back to it, but part of me wants to reset again.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.