[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any MMOs with a hardcore mode? I love the idea of MMOs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Me.png (1MB, 1120x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Me.png
1MB, 1120x1600px
Are there any MMOs with a hardcore mode?
I love the idea of MMOs but the lack of any real penalty for losing makes them boring. At worst you will lose a bit of experience and gold when you die.
>>
Age of Conan had perma death servers
>>
>>322929158
Have you played an MMO...ever? Almost all of them are hard mode by default due to the amount of effort it takes to get into an active raiding guild.

In WoW, mythic dungeons aren't even approachable for the average raiding guild.
>>
Old Ultima Online had the potential for you to basically lose your character because of assholes jumping you.
>>
>>322929398

He means shit like permadeath and you lose all your shit.

One death is all you get.
>>
File: 1449992600736.jpg (855KB, 1430x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1449992600736.jpg
855KB, 1430x2000px
>>322929398
>Almost all of them are hard mode by default due to the amount of effort

This isn't difficult it just means it takes a lot of time. Doing the same task 100 times isn't hard it's time consuming. Doing the same task 100 times and having to start over from the start if you fuck up even once is a challenge.

Raiding MMOs is boring to me for this reason. In contrast when I'm playing something like Path of Exile if I fuck up than I lose everything, my character is deleted and I need to start over.

>>322929472
Yeah but that's not really a skill thing is it. If I go to a dungeon that's hard and fuck up on the boss and die than it's my fault. I could have foughten better or chose to not do the dungeon till later. If I step outside town and a player who I have no ability to escape or beat kills me than it's not really my fault. I didn't have a choice about engaging in him and there was no way I could have foughten better and won.
>>
Are they still making that MMO shooter where you only get one life ever
>>
>>322929158
Every old MMORPG was like this.

Anyhow, you can play HellMoo. You lose all of your gear and items on death, you lose skill points if you can't pay for your clone, etc. Unconsensual PvP everywhere.
>>
>>322932312
Yes One Life was Greenlited on Steam
>>
>>322930878
>This isn't difficult it just means it takes a lot of time. Doing the same task 100 times isn't hard it's time consuming. Doing the same task 100 times and having to start over from the start if you fuck up even once is a challenge.

Neither of those are challenge. They're both just time sinks. Challenge is having something actually difficult to accomplish, but you can retry as many times as you like.
>>
In Mortal Online you lose all your shit when you die and have to go pick it up from where you died. other people can take those item due to non-consensual PVP everywhere.
>>
mortal online
>>
>>322934530
>but you can retry as many times as you like

No it's fucking not. There is no definition of challenge that says you can try as much as you want. If I challenge you to a fight to the death, do you think you get to retry? Dumbass.
>>
>>322929158
FF XI had you lose XP everytime you died, its kind of the same. Never played the game so not sure how significant it was originally.
>>
>>322936028
Originally it was huge because you could de-level, which would mean your gear, your spells, etc, wouldn't be usable until you leveled again.

Also everything could kill you, even a fucking rabbit 10 levels under you, and I'm not joking. It was a party-based game (with the exception of BST - Beastmaster), and if you tried to do fuck all by yourself you were in for a rude awakening.
>>
Dark scape is just run escape with open world PvP, try that.
>>
File: fucking dead.jpg (46KB, 540x438px) Image search: [Google]
fucking dead.jpg
46KB, 540x438px
>>322936028

You needed a party for pretty much everything in XI. The Beastmaster class could solo single enemies with their pet, but it was only low level stuff.

When you died you lost xp. Even people who were maxed level would occasionally go and grind a bit to keep a bank of xp in reserve for raids and such. If you died too much you'd lose enough xp to delevel. You could have an entire raid be forced to stop because people were losing levels. The game made sure you knew you were fucking up too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52q1zEK2fVc
>>
Realm of the Mad God, but I wouldn't recommend that game
>>
>>322936028
A similar system existed in Lineage 2, if I remember correctly. Until they nerfed it, at least.

It's pretty brilliant to always penalize 5% EXP, on low levels that's a couple of monsters, on top levels it's a week of fucking grind. Too bad grinding was involved at all.
>>
It's a casual genre now, so no.
>>
>>322937618
Would you play a good MMO, if it was literally
>no graphics

I mean, Minecraft levels of bad.
>>
>>322929158
>oh noes internet connection randomly dips or the server lags or power goes out
>lose everything

>>322929472
uo was the best game ever it's like they arent even trying when they make games today
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.