[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
ITT Shit game mechanics
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 417
Thread images: 39
ITT Shit game mechanics

I'll start: Encumbrance
>"I know, we'll have the players run a tedious errand before they can enjoy any more of the game! Everybody loves chores!"
>>
>>322917449

But anon's it's so realistic.

Tedious = Immersion
>>
>>322917449
I always disable weight limits.

That shit just isn't fun.
>>
>>322917659
>adding real world frustrations to a fun escapist hobby

triggered.
>>
I like encumbrance because it prevents people from hoarding literally everything they pick up.

I even use Jsawyer.esp in New Vegas so my carry limit is only 90 with my current strength.
>>
>>322917449
>on rails sections in non on rail games

I hate this so fucking much. It's never done well and it's never fun.
>>
>>322917852
This is what killed the FPS genre
>>
>>322918153
>tfw rarely like fps games, but when I do they're space adventure fps like republic commando and metroid prime

There's a perfect world in my mind where military shooters were all third person instead, because those are always more fun.
>>
>>322917449
>OOT-style companions - not just in Zelda games but in everything

Just make my character interesting WITHOUT a goofy friend with him at every step of the way.
>>
Less of a mechanic and more of a design choice but

>zombies
RE did zombies well that one time. Then they kept doing it. Then every other game in existence did it. Add on every old-school semi-dnd inspired game starting you off either in sewers or against zombies.

Zombies are old, boring, and a detriment to your fucking game.
>>
>>322917851
This. First thing I do in every game. Especially bullshit in fantasy games with magic. I got enough wealth to buy a country but not a Bag of Holding or Portable Hole? Fuck off.
>>
Yeah man I hate shit like Encumbrance.

Same shit like weapons breaking, what the fuck is that good for? Also, limited mana? Just have it regenerate. I can say the same for health, why not just have it generate? And no fast travel, oh my god, why the fuck wouldn't you have fast travel? Who wants to walk everywhere? Same shit with getting better gear, why not just give me the good stuff right from the start? Save me the hassle.

It seriously pisses me off, why don't games just remove all the boring shit? I want to have FUN.
>>
>>322917449
excessive knockback
>>
File: 1451865083037.jpg (44 KB, 639x628) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451865083037.jpg
44 KB, 639x628
>player.modav carryweight 1000
>>
>>322917449
>pick a lock
>lose your lockpicks
>>
>>322918131
>jsawyer mod
pleb.
install after war nevada and then we will talk.
>>
>>322917449
Just drop what you don't need, faglord.
>>
>>322922120
>only 1000

I needed at least 2000 with autoharvest mod on.
>>
File: enemy.png (140 KB, 243x393) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
enemy.png
140 KB, 243x393
>>322922421
I NEED IT
>>
>>322920846

I agree with your sarcasm. Nothing wrong with weight limits. Pretty much every game that has them they can be raised to hold a shitload of stuff
>>
Weapon deterioration.
Weapon repair should be exclusively for weapons found on the field that haven't been used in a while.
>>
>>322917659
Not every game has to pander to casuals. Some people like complexity and challenge in game mechanics.
>>
Arbitrary missing
Like when you shoot at something and it shows 'mids'
Goddamn I hate that shit
>>
god forbid you want to RP in an RPG

only carrying the armor and weapons you need, a bit of food, and a handful of potions? fuck that noise, I want to carry a fucking house on my back.
>>
>>322920846
2/10 made me reply, here's your (You)
>>322920846
>Same shit like weapons breaking, what the fuck is that good for?

It's annoying, and I agree. The fact a sword in real life gets dull fast and breaks is an annoyance, and tool/weapon breaking only truly serve purpose in survival games.

> Also, limited mana? Just have it regenerate.
I'd argue with a cooldown or regeneration rate low enough you can't spam it all day making magic outclass every type of other combat.

>I can say the same for health, why not just have it generate?
If it's way slower than health and it doesn't regenerate in combat, AKA not making potions and healing spells and medkits useless, I don't see why not.

>And no fast travel, oh my god, why the fuck wouldn't you have fast travel?
Unless the game is pretty big in size or overall uneventful and tedious (skyrim) it shouldn't have fast travel.

>Same shit with getting better gear, why not just give me the good stuff right from the start? Save me the hassle.
Because having better stuff overtime gives you a sense of progression and makes you play the damn game?
>>
>>322923606
You might have autism.
>>
>>322923743
Thanks doc do I need daily doses
>>
>>322923606
Hmm, maybe he was being sarcastic though. I hope.
>>
>>322923125

>Challenge

Fast travelling a couple of times is challenge
>>
>a whole thread of whiny babies complaining about mechanics because they're big whiny casual diaper wearing babies
Horrible thread OP. You're just giving whiny children a place to try and justify how casual they are.
>>
>What is inventory management

Besides how is it even possible to go above the weight limit unless you hoard literally every item you come across?

>>322923442
>only carrying the armor and weapons you need, a bit of food, and a handful of potions?

This.
>>
>>322924118
I can't figure out what you could possibly be talking about. Why would I be against making all games for casuals but for mindless fast travel?
>>
>>322920846
>encumbrance = difficulty

wow, a real life retard
>>
>>322923442
>go to area with the intent of getting items
>have to make 20 trips because game can't find interesting ways to be difficult other than padding out the length of one task
>>
>>322917449
last time i played new vegas i just said fuck it and gave myself a carrying limit or like 2000
>>
>>322924425
>opening your inventory every 5 minutes to find something to drop
>fun
>>
>>322929016
I usually mod it out of all Bethesda games because they're the worst offenders. Pretty much the only time encumbrance works as anything other than a time waster is in horror games.
>>
>>322929214
>picking up useless garbage you don't need in the first place
If you can drop it without worrying, you shouldn't have picked it up.
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 271x186) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 271x186
>>322929385
I found a game you might enjoy.
>>
Does anyone even bother with crafting in NV?
It seems like it would've been more viable if crafting mats weighed nothing or at least weren't as heavy.

>>322929016
I don't go that far I usually stick to around 600, forces me to limit the amount of clutter I have in my inventory.
If I didn't force a limit on myself I'd be picking up everything.
>>
>>322917449
character backstory in a sandbox game
>>
Encumbrance forces the player to make choices what loot to carry or how much to prepare for a mission or journey. By proxy it also forces the player to make character choices and the beginning and during leveling.

>why am I being challenged
>>
>>322930596
>implying this is the slightest bit true

Encumbrance forces the player to make a walk back to the bottomless box he has somewhere inconveniently far away before coming all the way back to pick up the other stuff anyway. Literally the only games that even attempt to do your version right are horror games. I bet you believed it when they told you the McNuggets were all white meat, too, faggot.
>>
Hoarding lootwhore faggots are the worst and are part of the reason the genre has been scrubbed of all real rpg mechanics, because people can't deal with being impeded or having consequences for their actions.
>>
>>322930806
>Encumbrance forces the player to make a walk back to the bottomless box he has somewhere inconveniently far away before coming all the way back to pick up the other stuff anyway

Or you could just pick up the shit that is important.
>>
>>322931238
see
>>322930596
>>
>>322931385
>>322931332
>>322931238
>b-b-but I enjoy meaningless length padding!
>>
>>322931775
>why don't they just let me win automatically, everything in between is just walking around and clicking anyway
>>
>>322931775
It's not padding, it's your own autism refusing to let go of random shit loot that you picked up just because you could.
>>
File: 1446852229480.jpg (32 KB, 680x510) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446852229480.jpg
32 KB, 680x510
>tfw playing Gothic/Risen series
>no fucking carryweight cap and I can just pick up everything I see
>>
>>322931906
Encumbrance is not challenging or fun. Combat, character interactions, exploration, story, character progression, etc. are. Encumbrance is a chore they put in front of all of those things to mask that they haven't done those things well enough.

>>322931908
>enjoys inventory management
>calls other people autistic
>>
>>322932291
JRPGs might be more your speed
>>
>>322931908
>not picking up everything and selling it so you can maximize your profits and buy new weapons and upgrades
It's like you guys don't even like rpgs.
>>
>>322932445
>the only thing separating jrpgs and wrpgs is the pointless chore of managing weight

see >>322929670
>>
>>322932291
>Encumbrance is not challenging or fun. Combat, character interactions, exploration, story, character progression, etc. are. Encumbrance is a chore they put in front of all of those things to mask that they haven't done those things well enough.

Huh, of course it is. It gives a taste of survival and planning to your gameplay. Of cource this breaks if you play RPGs like a faggot and maximise your looting by walking all the way back to base every kill. You're probably the kind of person who saves the game before every battle becaue oh my you could actually die.
>>
>>322932642
>Huh, of course it is. It gives a taste of survival and planning to your gameplay.
This would've been true if you couldn't teleport everywhere to store and sell shit.
But you can so you're full of shit, of course it's more profitable to pick the stuff you might need later warp and store it, or pick the stuff that you won't and warp and sell it. If you don't do that your purposely gimping yourself.
>>
>>322932642
It absolutely doesn't. It would give you at taste of those things if there were no alternative, but there is an alternative.

>go to the supermarket
>forgot wallet at home
>resolve to starve to death

you're fucking braindead.
>>
>>322932934
>using fast travel
It's like you actually don't like playing the game.
>>
>>322933181
if fast travel is in the game, it's part of the game, sperglord, you shouldn't have to put restrictions on yourself to make a game fun - it's a sign that the game is shit.
>>
>>322933181
>I enjoy tedious walking from one place to another several times
>>
>>322933361
>>I enjoy tedious walking from one place to another several times
Again, you're doing it wrong. You somewhere, you take the most you can carrie and then you go back.
>>
>>322933348
>I need a game to tell me how to have fun
>>
>>322933181
In a game where your fastest travel speed is a comfortable jog, you bet your fucking ass I use fast travel.
And it's not like fucking NV has any amazing scenery to admire and once enemies are dead, they're pretty much dead forever.
There's literally no reason to walk everywhere unless you're braindead or didn't know you can fast travel.
>>
>>322933494
I obviously mentioned just using fast travel as quests usually tend to make you go to one place, back again, and again and again and again
>>
>>322933348
Yeah, and games with Fast Travel are shit.
>>
>>322933610
If I let games tell me how to have fun I would believe them that weight management is fun and try and convince other people I enjoy it like you. At this point the game has become that relative that you're forced to be around on a regular basis that you have to force a grin and pretend to like for you.
>>
>>322933610
The one you're replying to is saying he prefers LESS restrictions.
>>
>>322933494
>Carrie

My name's not Carrie.
>>
>>322917449
This so much.
>create an enormous amount of items to pick up
>"don't pick up too much! But we won't tell you if you missed any important items because lol 10/10 game design!"
Bethesdrones are the worst.
>>
Being able to manage your inventory and only carry the important things is part of the game. Soon the next trend will be removing encumbrances in general because casuals want to take everything without thinking. Fuck you.
>>
>>322917449

>game makes me do stuff to get xp

I don't get it, I just want to have fun not to make chores. The most fun part of a game is leveling up, so the games should just skip all the killing stuff/doing quests and just give xp non-stop all the time.
>>
>if you get shot you slow down
>>
>there are people on /v/ right now that dislike
>carry weight limit
>weapon degradation
>absence of fast travel
I think video games aren't for you.
>>
>>322934171
It's an incredibly boring, tedious part of the game - you know, those two traits a GAME should never be. Encumbrance is to game challenge as pencil sharpening is to solving a math problem.
>>
>Game makes me play it to win
GAAAAAAYYY. Why do games do this? It's 2016, for crying out loud.
>>
>>322934305

>there are people on /v/ right now that like undertale

let that sink for a second
>>
>games
now I'm triggered, delete this thread please, g*mes are my trigger
>>
>>322934216
>my favorite part of the game was the really engaging level where it told me I had to stop what I was doing to go back and put my stuff in my locker so that I could turn around and go back and continue where I left off
>>
>>322934373
It forces you to specialize and makes your character more unique. This trend of making generic characters that can do everything is boring as fuck.

In Fallout 4 for instance I'm basically just looting all without even thinking about it because random shit barely weighs anything and I instantly just dump it back at my base. Now that is boring.
>>
>>322934305
I bet you're one of those faggots who defends DeS carryweight.
Not having that shit mechanic in DaS made it immediately better.
>>
>>322917449
Yeah weight limits fucking suck, they're never a meaningful choice, they're just a few minutes of busywork between quests/missions/whatever, or at the very mst you'll have to make a quick cost analysis to figure out what loot is not worth taking with you
>>
>>322934763
Except it doesn't. It literally never does. It does not specialize your character in the slightest because an infinite solution is just to go dump it in a box somewhere and come back - which defeats the purpose of the weight limit in the first place and just makes that entire process a pointless errand. Your fantasy of what encumbrance is doing for a game is not the reality of what encumbrance is doing for any game.
>>
>>322934373
But that's wrong.
The challenge is to manage your inventory. It forces you to make choices with consequences. Yes, the consequence might be to walk again and grab more loot. But that's your greed.

You could've just made an unarmored char but that'd be harder.

Now you see the challenge.

But the main thing, and this goes for weapon repairs, too:
Immersion. When you play a role playing game, it's silly that your skinny gnome wizard can haul 20 sets of full plate armor to sell them. And it's silly that stabbing with a rapier against a shield 100 times doesn't dull it.
>>
>>322934818
Depends on the Genre you dipshit.
DaS is more action than RPG.
>>
>>322935043
Delusion. See >>322935020

I'm not the anon that has an issue with repairs, I kind of like that actually, but encumbrance is the most blatant example of meaningless padding in every game that uses it short of a select few horror games.
>>
You don't understand! I NEED to pick up all those wooden spoons and rusty forks, or I'll die of having been made to think for 0.1 seconds!
>>
>>322917852
> escapist

One of the most delusional reasons to play video games.
>>
>>322935158
>video games aren't for you
The post I was replying didn't specify any genre or game, dipshit.
>>
>>322935020
>an infinite solution is just to go dump it in a box somewhere and come back - which defeats the purpose of the weight limit in the first place and just makes that entire process a pointless errand
No, that is the point. No one is forcing you to loot everything but your own greedy OCD-inflicted self.
>>
>>322935203
Learn to read.
Having to walk multiple times isn't a feature,it's a consequence of a choice. The choice could be hwo you build/equipped your char or how greedy you are.
It's also balancing so you can't just carry thousands of weapons, armor and consumables

And still; Immersion
>>
>>322935386
It's literally the only reason you're playing a video game rather than doing a math problem, you ignorant fuck, you're either too stupid to realize you're engaging in escapism or too insecure to admit it.
>>
>>322917449

Souls games do it well, not about how much you can carry but what you can equip
>>
>>322935436
Read the reply chain again
>>
>>322935585
>It's literally the only reason you're playing a video game rather than doing a math problem, you ignorant fuck, you're either too stupid to realize you're engaging in escapism or too insecure to admit it.

>video games are escapism
>board games are escapism
>going out with friends is escapism
>having sex is escapism

Fuck off
>>
>>322917449
Encumberance brings management into gamers lives, it passively teaches them to think about something while doing other tasks. But youre too young to understand.
>>
>>322935667
> I didn't play Demon's Souls
>>
>>322917449
>>322917659
>>322917851
plebs

it forces you to make decisions, properly evaluating what you are going to take with you on adventure and which loot you are going to bring back

this is only tedious if you are an autist who NEEDS to sell every rat carcass at 1gp each even though they weigh like 4 pounds
>>
>>322934553
Oh really? There's another route to that part, though, where you'd drop the things you could live without, scarf down some food, chug some potions, and walk away 50 pounds below the limit.
>>
>>322935717
>Read the reply chain again
Are you actually retarded? The post I was replying to was literally the first in the chain.
>>
>>322935585
>competetive gaming
>party games
>challenging games

lol
>>
>>322918809
this killed Okami for me

along with the Zelda like speech noises you can't disable
>>
>>322935043
If it enhances the gameplay, maybe. Most time it just bogs you down in what could be called a handbag-simulator.

In games like The Elder Scrolls it's boring. You're going to carry around a few Swords of Fire, Axes of Damageness or a backup Bow of Bullshittery, add your Heavy Armour to that and you're at 90% encumberance already.
Daggerfall had a decent solution: You could buy a cart and stack everything in there when you're looting a dungeon. Nowadays you don't have that option which is pointlessly tedious.

If it's in a survival game it would be interesting, maybe. Let's say you had to chose between An axe for woodcutting or a spear for hunting - you don't room for anything else because you lack clothes, containers, bags, whatever. Ususally it's annoying, and the choices you make based on encumberance don't figure much into the outcome of the game, just limit your capacity to loot.
>>
>just started Lonesome Road
>valuable heavy shit everywhere
>marked man armor
>thermic lance
>super sledge
>can't bear just dropping something worth 1000s of caps
>keep trekking back to the nearest commissary every five seconds
Sigh.
>>
>>322935834

Nah, but it's been like five years, shit gets murky. Either way, this has nothing to do with the point I was making anyway.
>>
File: 1407917022307.jpg (55 KB, 600x800) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1407917022307.jpg
55 KB, 600x800
I'm entirely okay with encumbrance systems in cRPGs or open world like the Witcher games, but I despise it when they're implemented in JRPGs because I've grown up on Final Fantasy where inventory space is mostly unlimited and there are so many other abstractions and concessions to fantasy features that adding one that's more a chore than a challenge is not fun.
>>
>>322935936
Are you? You don't seem to be able to follow a conversation.
>>
I read that as "you are crying too much" to be able to run."
>>
>>322917449
weapons switchable only through a menu that pauses the game.
>>
>>322936071
Oh fuck off, here's your (you), but this is the last bait I'm taking.
>>
>>322923125
>encumbered in FO4
>have to make a few fast travel trips
Tedious = challenging
>www.autismspeaks.org
>>
>>322917449

First thing I get mods for in Bethesda games are for carry weight, weapon power and weapon degradation.
>>
File: Wakka disapproves.gif (988 KB, 500x340) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Wakka disapproves.gif
988 KB, 500x340
>>322917449
>double-tapping/holding a button to perform an action because a regular press of the button is used for a different action
>>
>>322936003
>just limit your capacity to loot.
That's the point

And if you want to loot more, you have to walk more

Literally the same as grinding if you want more xp
>>
>>322935545
>>322935474
if it was a real choice the infinite bottomless box wouldn't exist. Plugging your ears and pretending that you can't do it is doing the exact same thing as modding out the weight limit, except with the latter you're actually making the game more fun rather than trying to convince yourself you like it better than you do.

See >>322935667
which I hadn't even thought about. Rather than limiting how much you can carry limit how much you can use at once. Then when you're ready to switch your gameplay style you don't have to go on a grand journey of tedium.

>>322935747
the only reason you find video games and movies fun is because it's presenting you a world in which the circumstances are different than the one you interact with throughout your day and you find that world appealing for a time. Strip that way, all of that, and the game is literally math. It's escapism whether you realize it or not.

>>322935928
>my favorite part of the game was that time it told me I had to waste a bunch of items to bring a number down below another number before I could progress.
>>
Encumbrance/weapon degradation only works for roguelikes and shit.
>>
>>322936389
>the only reason you find video games and movies fun is because it's presenting you a world in which the circumstances are different than the one you interact with throughout your day and you find that world appealing for a time. Strip that way, all of that, and the game is literally math. It's escapism whether you realize it or not.

That's some hard projecting you got there. I like video games because they are fun. A few are even intellectually enriching. Same as movies and literature: It's intellectually enriching and enjoyable. If you consume any of these things so it diverts from your working or social life, you need to rethink the choices you have made so far in your life.
>>
>>322930596
In theory
In pracice it's never balanced at all and does not incite any meaningful or interesting choices whatsoever
>>
"overencumbered" reeee, haha, am I right, gamers? Why don't they just let you pick up everything!
>>
>>322920846
>having to drop your junk off every once in a while adds to difficulty and isn't just tedious
>>>/autism/
>>>/a/
>>>/mlp/
>>>/trash/
>>>/b/
>>
>>322936219
Well, you could just think for a second instead of sperging out.
You tried to criticise encumbrance in vidya and brought DeS as an example.

I said it's a bad one because i agree with carry weight limit having no place in des because it's more of an action game with a different focus.

Full fetched rpgs like tes iii or CDDA need carry weight limit for reasons stated itt.

No coincidence that a short tempered, stupid faggot like you also is a casual.
>>
Does someone know a game where encumbrance/weight limit actually adds to the game
>>
>>322936340
>tapping in general
I can get behind that.

>>322935943
Okami's was actually the only one I've ever found acceptable, but I see where you're coming from.

>>322936675
>using the word fun to try and distract yourself from what's actually happening.

I play games with friends, I watch and discuss movies with friends, I just never try and convince myself it's anything other than what it is. The fact that you are trying to convince yourself otherwise should be alarming to you.
>>
Fallout 3/NV speach:
>Hi anon, I'm trying to flood this canal to kill all the ghouls inside, will you help me?
In doing so will you also kill non-ferals?
>It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make
[BARTER] If I help you will you give me your unique gun?
>Yes
*you flood the canal and finish the quest*
OR
[SCIENCE] Flooding it won't kill the ferals, but make them stronger because the water is radiated.
>You are right. I suppose we can kill them with weapons
*you kill the ferals and complete the quest*

Fallout 4 dialogue:
>Hi anon, I'm trying to flood the canal to kill the ferals
[SARCASTIC] you got a pest problem *The Big Bang Theory audience laughs*
>Nice joke ayy lmao 10/10-IGN
>Now flood the canal
OR
[GOOD GUY ANSWER] Yes sure I'll be your slave
>Thank you so much
>Now flood the canal
OR
[BAD GUY ANSWER WITH CHARISMA]
YES BUT GIVE ME MONEY FAGGOT
>OK I HATE YOU
>Now flood the canal
OR
Why do you want to kill the ghouls?
>I don't like them
>Now flood the canal
>>
>>322936838
You know, when you're moving as slow as Dark Souls' overencumbered walk, Lost Izalith doesn't seem so bad, it feels like you're exploring unused content.
>>
>>322920846

>Money
>Progression so that you actually feel like you are doing something in the game and have an objective instead of pointless loitering
>Satisfaction after you worked hard for something
>Rewarded when you play a lot so you keep on playing more
>>
>>322936838
Off the top of my head, I think the Armored Core franchise might quality
>choice between equipping your mech with heavier, more powerful parts and weapons, or lighter armament
>the result impacts your ability to maneuver, your firepower, and there might or might not also be overheating mechanics [I can't quite remember]

But of course, I don't think this is the case that's being discussed at the moment, the thread seems to be more about weight limits in open world games in general.
New game never ever.
>>
>>322925493
>you have to hoard almost every item you find for crafting
>fun
>>
>>322936987
>>using the word fun to try and distract yourself from what's actually happening.
>I play games with friends, I watch and discuss movies with friends, I just never try and convince myself it's anything other than what it is. The fact that you are trying to convince yourself otherwise should be alarming to you.

>lalala I'm right and you're wrong :^)

How about you bring some actual points instead of being the supreme smuglord? Yes, video games are fun. They are enjoyable way to pass the time alone or with friends. That doesn't mean I play them to escape from reality. You can do things for fun anon, it's okay.
>>
People wouldn't feel the need to pick up everything if the vendors in game didnt have bottomless pockets of gold or got imperial shekel deliveries with every passing day.

Unless you're selling to some huge mercantile scrap company with bottomless demand, your average merchant would eventually get sick of buying rusty swords and sets of armor from you.
>>
>>322937170
From Software confirmed for only company capable of doing encumbrance right.
>>
>>322937170
Yeah that's more of a choice between heavy or light armour
>>
>>322936838
well, it's different, but in RE games you had to choose which weapons/equipment to take with you... that added some "survival" aspect to the game.
>>
File: 1446861950894.gif (52 KB, 1148x2324) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446861950894.gif
52 KB, 1148x2324
>>
>>322936389
>if it was a real choice the infinite bottomless box wouldn't exist. Plugging your ears and pretending that you can't do it is doing the exact same thing as modding out the weight limit, except with the latter you're actually making the game more fun rather than trying to convince yourself you like it better than you do.
Still not convinced and at this point it's just going circles. Play what and how you like it.
>>
>>322937004
I'll make it a copypasta and shitpost in every fallout thread ever
>>
>>322936987
>>tapping in general
>I can get behind that.
Only in a rhythm game.
>>
>>322937382
I was just about to post that, fuck you

just kidding
>>
Lowering your stats each time you die.
>>
getting pregnant

who the fuck would put this in their game
>>
Weight limit could work in an actual survival game. Say, something like Stalker. You have to choose how much ammo and food you take with you, which determines how long you can scavenge and how much shit you can haul back. But the balance needs to be a fine one- too little of a limit and it's pretty tedious, too high of a limit and it's meaningless
>>
>>322937283
Why are you trying so hard to convince me your reality is great on an anonymous imageboard? Pretty much everybody engages in escapism, it's not an indicator of a miserable life. It's a fun way to spend time - either alone or with other people. But end of the day, it's escapism, you just seem to be very insecure about that word.
>>
>>322935883
>Le complex decision
No, there's no fucking decision unless you already played the game and you know exactly which bullshit miscellaneous items get crafted into that one weapon you use with your stats.
Plus you generally need money for something so you need to gather money.
The sole purpose of the system is to artifically lengthen the game by making you go back and forth places. Games that give you infinite inventory space are ininitely more enjoyable if items are bullshit.
A game that did inventory management well was resident evil, because all items were meaningful, you had to pick between room for key items, weapons, ammo, and healing items. And that was it, no other bullshit crap to carry around.
>>
>>322917449
>Quick time events

when did we begin to feel the need to mash buttons instead of relaxing while the cutscene goes on? What the fuck is wrong with people? Watching cutscenes was one of the most awesome things in old school videogames
>>
>>322936832
Jesus christ let's go reply by reply, since you are apparently retarded.

Here's the first post in the chain >>322934305
Even a moron like you has to agree that the point of that post is basically: if you don't like these things (carryweight limit, weapon degradation and absence of fast travel) then video games aren't for you. Note: No mention of genres, just videos games in general.

And here is my reply >>322934818
Proving that it's not that simple, by giving an a example of a game where carryweight limit was an absolutely awful mechanic that no one should approve of.

And then you come in out of left field >>322935158 talking about genres and calling me a dipshit for no apparent reason. and somehow I'm the angry sperg.

And finally >>322935436 I explained that there was no mention of genres in the first post and that we are talking, in this replay chain, about video games in general.

Clear enough for you autistic asshole?
>>
>COINS HAVE WEIGHT
>>
>>322937819
Escapism _by definition_ implies a miserable life. Lern2words faggit.
>>
File: afilkjafld.jpg (34 KB, 409x575) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
afilkjafld.jpg
34 KB, 409x575
>>322917449
Because it's realistic to be able to carry 500 guns no problem, but 501 makes you molasses. Souls does it pretty well where only what you have equipped encumbers you
>>
>>322929385
I get that you like to play all your games with a GameFAQ window opened so you can minmax your run but most people aren't cockless faggots like yourself and would rather just enjoy the fucking game.
>>
I think Repair was one of my favorite skills in New Vegas. Partially because of how often it came up in skill checks, and partially because I loved scrounging for items to quickly fix up my weapons to constantly maxed condition.

Also, I felt like the carry weight was never restrictive. I had something like 20 different weapons, a light armor set, and a medium armor set. Not to mention all of my ammo for all of my weapons had weight because of Hardcore mode. I even liked in Honest Hearts where they limit you to 75 units going into the DLC. It made me really put some thought into what weapons and armor and healing items would be my real backbone.
>>
>>322937004
>Fallout 3 giving you those options

You fucked up
>>
>>322937867
Drop the shit you don't need is a decision you retard.
>>
>>322938021
>Escapism is mental diversion by means of entertainment or recreation, as an "escape" or dissociation from the perceived unpleasant, boring, arduous, scary, or banal aspects of daily life.
>aspects
>>
I wish more games had a more significant gradient between heavy and light, like if you become so gargantuanly heavyset that you can't jog, you start gaining additional defense and cannot be stunned because all the shit you're carrying is pinning you to the ground and cannot be toppled by someone trying to fucking kill you
>>
>>322937951
I hate QTEs during cutscenes [screw you forever Resident Evil 4], but I do enjoy QTEs that are integrated in a fairly harmless way into the gameplay. Like, for example, an RPG where you get bonus damage for timing your button press with the hit animation, is the best application of a QTE I can think of in a videogame. It doesn't kill you instantly for failing it in an arbitrary way, but it rewards you for having the capacity to do it.
>>
>pressing up doesn't got to the bottom of the list

getting real tired of this shit
>>
Why isn't god mode standard on all games? stuff like healing and mana management are such bullshit, it just gets in the way of me beating the game as quickly as possible
>>
>>322938190
Learn to read retard.
>You don't know which items you need.
>And you need money so you need to carry a bunch of items to sell.
>>
>>322938239
Exactly. And your'e trying to convince me that every media I enjoy is just part of my _alleged_ unpleasant aspects of life, which simply isn't true. In fact most media I enjoy I enjoy to deal with those unpleasant aspects. And some other media, like video games, are pleasant aspects of my life, and not a diversion tactic.
>>
>>322938021
>NO YOU ANON MY LIFE IS SO GREAT ESCAPISM IS NOT FOR ME

It's perfectly ok to engage with fiction for a while anon, no matter what the bullies told you.

escapism es·cap·ism (ĭ-skā'pĭz'əm)
n.
The tendency to escape from daily reality or routine by indulging in daydreaming, fantasy, or entertainment.

It's really not something you need to be insecure about buddy, it doesn't imply misery like you think it does. Insecurity does, though.
>>
>>322938346
The new Battlefront had a qte I quite liked- guns didn't have ammo but would overheat, and when you timed your push right you could greatly reduce the cooldown. The time frame got smaller with every consecutive successful cooldown reduction
>>
>>322938549
see >>322938486
>>
>>322920398
Its the only way to add an enemy that is humanoid, endless in number, only uses its hands, and runs straight at you.

Its a cheap way to setup a game where you just kill a ton of things and dont feel anything.
>>
>>322938098
>I might need this broken toothpick that I already have 200 of and which can be found literally everywhere in the game, better pick it up just in case.
>>
>enemies level with you
>shit enemies still attack you on a high level

Looking at you, Elder Scrolls
>>
>>322917659
Even the limits shown in the game aren't realistic encumbrance. The last game I played with a realistic encumbrance was Earthbound, and that game was able to balance it out by having fewer and more important items.
>>
>>322938656
If you remember you're the one who started all this with the idea that escapism has to signify a miserable life, but you're convinced that escapism is a bad word because /v/ probably told you it is. It's not, it's not even a bad thing to do in moderation. Again, you seem very insecure about the entire idea, and that's what's alluding to your unpleasant life.
>>
Weight Limits do absolutely nothing but make take longer to do shit.
>Oh I'm over encumbered as fuck
>better drop all this useless shit
>oh hey a side quest
>"Get a bunch of [All that useless shit you dropped]"
It doesn't add difficulty because everything that could attack you is probably already dead, and are the reason you're over encumbered in the first place.
It's a shit system and has no place in vidya that allows you to fight and kill giant radioactive scorpions with a pool cue.
>>
>>322936704
>I haven't played Dragon's Dogma
IT's the best encumberance system ever. Your total carried weight affects everything from runspeed to stamina consumption. Being lightly loaded can mean your trip across the map is half as long or even help you in combat when avoiding attacks.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (37 KB, 480x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
37 KB, 480x360
>>322917449
>let's make the true ending obtainable only after unlocking all weapons and make every single one of them beyond retarded to unlock and completely impossible unless you look it up!
>>
>>322939124
Secret endings in general are kind of whack. I'm all for bonus challenges/replay bonuses, but if they're intended as a bonus to the main game then they really shouldn't lock you out of story components.
>>
>>322938946
>/v/ told you to
>you're insecure

Can you please put forward an argument without having to constantly insult me (since yoru arguments are shit)?

As for the point, escapism simply is the wrong word here. It implies that I do things to divert my mind from other things, which is not true, regardless of how adamantly you insist on it. It may be true that SOME people enjoy media for this reason, but this doesn't mean everyone does it. And unless you're going to make the point that every form of enjoyment - from video games to books to movies to sex to traveling - necessarily is only enjoyable because it diverts your mind from the negative aspects of your life, I don't really see you making any good point here.
>>
Grid based inventory systems are superior to weight based ones.
Discuss.
>>
>>322939091
Well that's true I haven't actually played it yet
I'll see how it is in a few days
>>
>>322939292
Metroid Prime 1 did it right.

>Main ending is conclusive
>100% completion ending has a sequel hook teaser
>>
File: suck a dick.png (75 KB, 303x362) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
suck a dick.png
75 KB, 303x362
>upgrading items has an increasing failure chance that destroys the item and the materials used to upgrade
>>
File: jakejosie.jpg (50 KB, 640x855) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
jakejosie.jpg
50 KB, 640x855
>New Game PLUS!
>Play it again, keep your items, but this time enemies are harder!

Artificial replay value. Why not just make a game that's interesting to play through different ways multiple times, using different builds?

>Hey can you go deliver this letter for me?
>QUEST STARTED, REWARD: 1500 GOLD, 1000 EXPERIENCE POINTS

Side quests were always really interesting in RPGs before they were watered down like this. Remember delivering letters to the injured soldier in Mobliz, in FF6? How about finding the alien on the world map in FF8? Make your side quests slightly more subtle so that they reward attentive players.
>>
File: git gud.jpg (49 KB, 501x386) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
git gud.jpg
49 KB, 501x386
>Equipped items, if less than 10 pounds, are weightless
>Encumberment works as a scale starting at 100% speed at some kind of high value, i.e. 150 Skyrim units and works its way down to 30% speed at 500 units, where it stops decreasing
>Armor does not directly dictate movement speed, but does impact it due to its weight
>Armors that give ridiculous amounts of damage resistance are available right at the start, if you're willing to eat a dick and move at 30% movespeed or have nothing else in your inventory
Is this bearable?
>>
>>322939358
Yes
Tetris minigame>counting minigame
>>
>>322939358
agreed
But there needs to be semi-frequent weird shaped shit to be perfect.
>>
>>322939323
All right anon, I'm sure your life is the biggest and best that's ever been, escapism is so beneath you that you are just the happiest most successful man alive and will never need such dirty, dirty words for peasants like all those mean people on /v/. You're the biggest boy of all biggest boys champ - you got us, winner.
>>
>>322939441
Also
>Minimaps
>Quest markers

These are shit

>Quest logs

These can stay, but only as a way of refreshing your memory about something.
>>
>>322939358
I really don't see the point, honestly. It's not like it realistically represents carrying things better than a flat weight limit does. Has anyone ever ran through one of these and thought "man, I really want to carry this thing with me, but the shape is too awkward to efficiently fit my grid!"?
>>
>>322939414
fuck lineage 2
>>
>>322939358
They almost mathematically equivalent.
The problem is that developers actually pay attention to sizes and weights in grid systems, as in the case of diablo it was directly related to database storage costs for online, while in regular weight systems the theoretical grid is so big they just don't give a shit and it's not clear why the system exists at all.
>>
>>322939561
Also the ability to rotate shit
>>
>>322939358
Arguably more realistic, but I don't think there's really any video game with a highly realistic inventory system since your character is never actually depicted holding the things they are carrying.
>>
>>322939701
Alone in the dark reboot
>>
>>322939441
new game+ was GOAT in Ratchet and Clank
>>
>>322939441
>How about adding new ways to play a game, except this particular way I don't like?
Anon, please.
I was absolutely livid when I found out Dishonored did not have a New Game+ mode.
>>
gimping playstyles using stupid shit like resources (mana)
>play wizard
>have cool as fuck spellcombos that would annihilate groups of enemies and truly make you feel powerful
>they all cost too much to use
>have to settle for spamming the shitty lvl 1 fireball spell 100000 times instead
every fucking time
>>
>>322938702

Not to mention that you really don't have to program good AI, when you got zombies. Just make them beehive for the player, which is very, very easy to do.
>>
>>322939358
Agreed, but it definitely needs to be done very right , and by that I mean they really need to pay attention to it and tailor it to the game's needs and balance it right.
>>
>>322939583
>All right anon, I'm sure your life is the biggest and best that's ever been, escapism is so beneath you that you are just the happiest most successful man alive and will never need such dirty, dirty words for peasants like all those mean people on /v/. You're the biggest boy of all biggest boys champ - you got us, winner.

That's not even the idea you retard. Jesus fuck how about you actually read my posts. I'm not saying that I don't have unpleasant things in my life. I'm saying that I don't deal with these things by diverting my mind from them with media consumption, and converesely my media consumption isn't based around diverting myself from these bad things. In fact a lot of my media consumption has the aim to tackle these problems. And when I indeed have _fun_ (games, sex, traveling, social life) it's just for the sake of without ulterior motive.

I guess the thrust is that if you are indeed knowingly engaging in escapism you should work on your problems instead, but that doesn't mean the things your using to engage in escapism are necessarily escapistic per se.
>>
>>322937978
>No mention of genres, just videos games in general.
Yeah, because racing games often have those features.
If someone plays and rpg and whines about carry weight video games aren't for him.

If some one plays a jump n run and whines about pits/spikes, video games aren't for him.

If someone plays an fps and whines about having limited ammo, video games aren't for him.

It's a matter of attitude and expectations. Go watch a movie or something
>>
>>322939406
Yeah that does seem pretty neat.
>>
overly gimmicky shit that's just plain inferior
>Fireball: Costs 10 mana to use, kills a regular enemy in 3 hits
vs
>Blind: Costs 20 mana to use + blinding powder item, gives enemy a 15% chance to miss when attacking
>>
>>322939851
This is more of a problem with the fact that early game spells always look and feel like garbage and don't give you any sense of power. I'm looking at you Bethesda, your spells are always garbage up until you reach endgame and they continue being garbage.
>>
>people defend shit mechanic because adds "challenge", "choices" and whatnot
>it actually does norhing but pad game time
>>
>>322940101
limited ammo changes the way you approach and engage in fights

pits/spikes are the challenge to the platforming of a platformer

inventory encumbrance makes you take an extra trip and then in no other way affects gameplay because no matter what build you are you can just run back to the box and come back - making the whole concept pointless.
>>
>>322940310
You are aware that game mechanic and game time are directly correlated right?
>>
>>322917449
>normal movement speed
>grab a flower
>suddenly too heavy to even move
Realistic experience
>>
>people say that a game mechanic is bad because they have bad habits
>>
>>322940163
Holy fucking shit this. Any time debuffs are actually worthwhile in a game I just about bust a load because it's so rare.
>>
>>322917449
Encumberence is perfectly acceptable when applied with the thought of gameplay balancing instead of the lazy shit bethesda does.

If the game is balanced for it, being slower while wearing heavier armor, and inversely wearing lighter gear is fun.
>>
>>322940101
Ignoring the fact that not all rpgs have carryweight, not all fps's have limited ammo, and not all platform games are about jumping over spikes.
Those people can just avoid those respective genres and enjoy other videogames, they can absolutely love tetris and hate ammo, hate spikes, hate carryweight.
Literally all your posts are retarded.
>>
>It's realistic
>My character can carry multiple weapons, clothing, healing tools, huge stack of ammo, mountains of junk and a whole catalogue of miscellaneous items without any kind of backpack.

Yeah fast travelling to dump anything I don't want sure adds realism and strategy to the game. It'd be so casual without it.
>>
>>322940052
No no I'm sure your life is as perfect as you say it is sport, why would I ever doubt you? Listen here bucko, I bet everybody on this board is just wishing they were half the success you are. I mean, escapism, PFFT, you?! no! Look, how about we go buy you the biggest cake the baker makes with as many candles as you want? Would you like that, champ?
>>
>>322940838
Lel literally ignoring what I said. Good on you champ.
>>
>>322930806
>forces
Nope, that's the choice you make. Stop carrying around those -3 rusty daggers you plan on selling for 2 bronze pieces, hoarder.
>>
>>322940423
>wasting ammo in an fps makes you get new smmo or die, replaying that part
>dying in a platformer makes you reolay thst part
>having shit inventory management and/or a char that isn't build for carrying makes you rewalk that part
>>
>>322940954
Don't like cake?! All right, you twisted my arm but hey, it's not like you don't deserve it - I'm gonna call up all of your multitude of adoring friends for a day party at - you guessed it! CHUCK E CHEESE! I know how much you love watching them play games and telling them how unhealthy it is to avoid their problems like that, aww you're such a scamp. I'm so proud of you.
>>
>>322940654
It's not about the genre, it's about a mindset. You people want easy going without consequences, challenge and preferably thinking.
>>
>>322941156
rewalking != replaying
>>
>>322941234
Wow you're upset.
>>
>>
>>322941156
Replaying a part is fun.
Walking isn't.
>>
Weapon durability
Only fucking god knows why this was so praised in new vegas
>>
>>322941336
Essentially the same.
>>
File: 1328313620235.jpg (19 KB, 300x373) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1328313620235.jpg
19 KB, 300x373
>>322939358
>modded d2
>>
Equip load makes sense gameplay-wise, encumberance is just here to add tediousness. "Oh boy, I wish I could continue exploring this dungeon but I have to make a quick trip back to my stash first".

I mean, whoever has played Demon's and Dark Souls can't tell me they missed the inventory load from the first game.

>>322920846

Regenerating health and mana makes the game easier and more forgiving. Same for better equipment. Playing inventory tetris is just tedious, it doesn't make the game any harder and it breaks the pace.
>>
>>322941410
>Walking isn't.
Sucks to be you
>>
File: inventory.png (23 KB, 580x467) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
inventory.png
23 KB, 580x467
I have a revolutionary new idea for an inventory system, taking kickstarter donations now
>>
>>322941326
>It's not about the genre
I agree, that's why I'm not the one who brought up genres.

>it's about the mindset
And you have a shitty one.
>if you don't like specific mechanics in certain games then don't play videogames at all
>>
>>322941679

But real bags are not 2D anon.
>>
>>322941340
Haha! That's my boy! After that how about we go play some catch! Get your arm all warmed up for pitching in the big game! Not that anybody could ever warm you up without tiring themselves out! You know everybody relies on you on that team! They didn't make you captain for no reason, they look up to you! You're out there succeeding while they're having "fuun" on their silly game consoles - one day you're really gonna show all these other boys and girls what a hard day's work really means.
>>
>Rubber banding
>Invisible walls
>"You're leaving the mission area! Turn back now!"
>Basic enemies are damage sponges
>Infinitely respawning enemies
>Hidden audio logs
>Weapon degradation
>>
>>322941616
Fucking casuals
>>
>>322941457
not in the slightest.
>>
>>322941326
Maybe you should just accept that you're spouting random bullshit and should just shut the fuck up
>>
>>322941774
3D tetris is an awful game.

Also, depends on the type of bag. Some bags are only as thick as a book, so practically 2D
>>
>>322940838
>>322941234
>>322941778
I haven't seen this much analdevastation in a while
>>
I thought Witcher 3 did a pretty good job at this. There's a weight limit but you can increase it with saddlebags and a skill. And eventually you just stop looting low level shit because it does nothing for you anyways. The fast travel was a nice balance, too, having to use a signpost.
>>
Crafting systems
CRAFTING SYSTEMS
>>
>>322941443
Because weapons lasted a good amount of time and they were easily repairable especially with the jury rigging perk
>>
>>322917659
It's not how it should be, it should be that you get slower slowly, not just that you can sprint and suddenly you have to walk because of 1pound extra feathers
>>
I can't think of a game where dropping something less valuable/useful and then picking up something more valuable/useful and then NOT coming back for the junk ruined the game.
No game FORCES you to walk again for loot. It's just one of many compromises of an RPG like distributing stat points.
Sure you COULD tediously grind to make a master character but most people don't

So I don't see what's so hard to NOT sell every piece of crap for mad money.
>>
>>322940838
>>322941234
>>322941778
Literal assburgers
>>
>>322942016
Ha! There's that sharp wit! You get that one from your mum. Oh if she could only see you now, she'd be just as proud as everybody else is! Come here, give me a hug, sport.
>>
>>322942017

Inventory management is ok in Witcher 3 but weapon degradation is fucking tedious though. I lose track of how many times I had to backtrack to a fucking blacksmith in the middle of a quest because my silver sword was fucked.

Captcha: WOODCOCK
>>
>>322942036
Oblivion spellcrafting was great
>>
>>322942060
Hmm been a while since I played but last I remember I picked up a laser minigun, used it to kill 2 mutants then it broke, asked me to go find some rare shit or find another equally hard to find minigun to repair it by 5%
>>
>>322941874
So I enjoy one thing more than you. Even worse, one thing you don't like.
>>
>>322917449

Sometimes I find it okay and other times I do not. Games like RE4 did it right. Games where you just can pick up everything and anything and then suddenly say you carry to much is horse shit.

RE4 is fine since you can see how much space you have and place items in certain ways to get more space.
>>
>>322941851
>Audio logs
If there's hundreds in the game and scattered everywhere and not "hidden" at all, yes. If there's 5 audio logs in the game, they all have weight, and hidden very well because they damn near apoil the game, they're fine.
>Weapon Degradation
Dark Souls did it right. Repairing weapons is cheap, easy, and the whole process of repairing all your gear takes 5 seconds, until they're broken.
>>
>>322941903
Maybe you should accept my advice and try to find another hobby if you whine about encumbrance in rpgs
>>
Open world games.
I have yet to play one that isn't shit in some terrible way.
>>
>>322942247
Calm down
The thread will be deleted in an hour and everyone will forget about how much you embarrassed yourself
>>
>>322941679
That'd be pretty cool
>better put these potions on top I might need them later
>oh shit lava and my ring of lava immunity is somewhere in my bag hang on let me move all this shit and find it
>>
>>322923606
dude, ffs
>>
New inventory systtem:

You can only carry as many weapons as you have holsters/sheaths
There are three classes of items small/middle/big based on the apparent size and weight with numbers 1/2/3 or 1/5/7 or something
You can buy bags/sacks that hold a specific number of weightpoints.
You can only equip a certain number of bags or weightpoints

Going over your weight/sizelimit slows you down exponentially and disables certain movement (running, jumping climbing).
>>
>>322942267
Why didn't you just buy/craft the repair kits?
>>
File: ok.png (150 KB, 474x525) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ok.png
150 KB, 474x525
>99% hit chance
>miss twice in a row
>>
>>322942534
Oh don't you worry about those anonymous meanies, they're just bitter that they're not the success you are! If only everybody could be born with your combination of good genes, impeccable wit, and go get 'em attitude! You are everything everybody wishes they could be, Scamp, we all love you!
>>
>>322941526
I actually do miss the seperate equip load from DeS... ;_;
>>
>>322942036
>not liking materia
>>
Honestly, encumburance is only really shitty in Bethesda games.
Thanks to leveled loot, you can find something similar enough in the next dungeon, but what if you want to keep your first sword on you or some shit? Levelled loot is a failed mechanic.
>>
>>322942036
I dunno, I feel like I've yet to see one that's actually useful.
>>
>>322941679

Fuck you, I love inventory tetris.
>>
>>322943070

You do? May I ask why?

The fact that if you hit the max load in a dungeon you had to lose a potentially unique item forever made it infuriating.
>>
>>322942036
>you can craft weapons and armor in the game
>but the weapons and armor you find / loot are objectively better, so there's no point.
>>
>>322942084
This is what these casuals(idiots) miss. You do not have to/need to sell every single item. It is as simple as that.
>>
>>322942872
I think you might need to go enjoy some escapism for a while anon and forget about all this.
>>
>>322922421
>Fallout 4
>literally need all the garbage you pick up

smdh
>>
>>322943656
How does that make the game more interesting in any way
Instead of picking up everything you pick up everything above x value per weight
>>
>>322943682
Oh what have I told you about those dirty dirty words son! That's a word for losers! And in THIS family we do NOT tolerate losers! Now you know I have to make you take a lap for that one, partner, but don't think it's because I'm mad at you - it's because I, along with everybody else you meet, love you!
>>
>Infinitely respawning enemies
Seriously fuck off your not hard to kill you are like fucking roaches so just fuck off after I kill you 100 times.
>Weapon degredation
Also fuck off I don't want to have stop having fun in the game to go give captain faggot some money to restore my numbers to my sword because god forbid the fucking numbers hit single digits.
>>
>>322944123
Weapon degradation could be a fun element if you do it right. Like part of your rifle breaks and you need to go to some market to find a good replacement.
>>
> lore tomes
> lore recordings
> lock picking minigames
> hacking minigames
> collecting herbs
> MMO style crafting systems in single player games
> "Hold button to enable faggotsense and look for clues!"
> "You can either be sneaky or attack!"
> "Build and decorate your own house!"

I get like 10 hours into pretty much every single new game I play, and then I just can't fucking handle it anymore.
>>
>>322934305
>>322936337
>>322941851
>>322944123
I mean, encumbrance in RPGs is trash, but I feel like more often than not weapon degradation also implies room to improve your weapon, which I usually enjoy. Unless you have to take it to a specific guy to have it fixed and that's literally the extent of the mechanic, If I can improve my weapon I'm fine with having it degrade.
>>
>>322939613
>I've never traveled
>>
>game has timed missions
>specifically made so that you'll have only 1 second left by the end of it
>basically meaning if you slow down even once or fuck up you have to restart the entire mission
>>
File: treasure_pile.jpg (43 KB, 308x279) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
treasure_pile.jpg
43 KB, 308x279
>>322942701
How about this:
The inventory is divided into The Belt and The Bag.
The Belt has several slots into which you can put other containers: sheaths, holsters, potion pouches, lock-picking sets, scrolls, etc.
The Belt is bound to your number keys, so pressing a hot-key instantly equips the item on the belt slot.

The Bag is a grid system, but all items also have weight and you can only carry a certain amount of weight. So if you put two three dumbbells into your sack, it might be half-empty, but your feebly wizard will have trouble moving around. In order to interact with your bag, your hands have to be empty. Which means you have to sheathe your weapons before opening the bag, making you vulnerable to enemies. That discourages you from opening an inventory mid-combat. Put important items on your belt or die.

Gameplay justification:
Strong warrior types would be able to carry around heavy stuff and would have multiple sheaths, so they'd gain profit from taking the slain foes' equipment.
Thieves would be encouraged not to kill anyone, but pickpocket and steal stuff from chests. Chests would contain stuff like jewellery and coins. So to make up for their lack of carrying space, they'd hunt for small, but valuable items that warriors have no access too.
Wizards are weaker still, and their dungeon-crawling would revolve around hunting for spells, runes, artefacts and magical reagents. Even lighter than jewellery, they would have low market value, but the items that are crafted from them, such as magical scrolls, wands and potions would sell high.
>>
>>322944372
Sounds like you want a movie, son.
>>
>>322917449

> 250/250
> can sprint everywhere
> pick up a tomato
> 251/250
> walking through jam

i'd appreciate it if weight/max weight affected speed proportionately.

I dont understand why the de facto mechanic is thresholding.
>>
>>322944252
>Butt of rifle breaks
>Gun will not fire or the accuracy is fucked so you have to shove it up someone's ass to hit them
Weapon degradation has always been tedious and an annoyance to the player I don't know why games feel they need to put it in for mah immorshun.
>>
>>322944372
Lore tomes were absolutely badass in Diablo though.
>>
>>322944521

Sounds like you've had these gameplay elements forced up your ass for so long that you assume coming up with something different would constitute "a movie."
>>
>>322944372
I'm having a mild sense of deja vu
>>
File: 1451406773819.png (471 KB, 1500x1260) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451406773819.png
471 KB, 1500x1260
>>322939358
>get the nanomachine laser sword in Deus Ex
>the laser part of the weapon takes inventory grid space
>>
>hold button to do shit
IT'S PRESS
NOT HOLD
FUCK
YOU
>>
>>322937309
I think it's exactly the opposite.

>Show up to vendor with $13,000 of vendor trash
>He only has $800
>sell him $798 of trash
>Run to next town
>Vendors have a combined total of $2800
>sell them $2780 of trash
>Run to next town
>Repeat while getting fucking bored of the game for 2 hours
>finally have enough to buy shitty sword that will be obsolete in 45 minutes
or
>Show up to shop
>dump all trash on the fucker, walk away with new money
>Spend it on piece of shit sword that will be obsolete in 45 minutes
>Go back and start killing shit immediately
>>
>>322936354
Grinding and walking more for more loot are two extremely shitty, outdated mechanics in RPGs. Back when people didn't know how to design a game more around fighting mechanics and combat it might have been cool to grind out levels, but it's still tedious work that doesn't need to be in any game anymore.
>>
>>322944574
yeah this would be fine. would actually incentivize trimming your inventory to the pure essentials in a positive way instead of just "you won't run into this extremely disruptive barrier as often"
>>
>>322944372
>Playing modern AAA trash
Kek
>>
Shit game mechanics: Killing is always an option.
>>
Permadeath, permanent deleveling, and very limited inventory spaces.

It adds absolutely nothing to gameplay other than frustration and neuters any sense of progression. It's why roguelikes are such absolute garbage.
>>
>>322939623
They're not mathematically equivalent. There's an extra dimension there, and items that take the same number of slots can differ in shape.
Combinatorics, man.
>>
>>322944767
Oh fuck that's annoying
>hold button to open chest
>animation takes forever
>enemies can interrupt you
>let go too soon and it cancels it making you do it all over again
>>
>>322935883
I'd say it depends. Standard Bethesda games give you a goddamned arsenal of gear, yet still have limits. If I'm carrying 11 weapons, may as well make it 12. There's no real drawback to the weight limit in terms of difficulty, it's just some guns are fun to use. However, if the game has very harsh limits, like with New Vegas's Sawyer mod, then giving yourself that extra carrying strength defeats the purpose of having such a tight limit: to make you assess what is necessary to take with you vs what you might find and want to take back.
>>
>>322944767
>press this button
>I push it once

>hold this button
>I push it and keep it held in
yeah, you're wrong
>>
>>322941851
>audio logs
fuck right off. that worked great in SS2.
>>
>>322944372
>I get like 10 hours into pretty much every single new game I play, and then I just can't fucking handle it anymore.
So you beat the game, then get fed up with it?
>>
>procedural generation

The #1 way to make a game feel like generic boring trash.
>>
>>322942060
I played New Vegas like 100 hours before realizing you could craft weapon repair kits with repair skill 50. Weapon durability instantly became a non-issue since the materials are fucking everywhere.
>>
>>322941679
that's already a thing in tons of games
>>
File: 1361217733087.jpg (48 KB, 460x291) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1361217733087.jpg
48 KB, 460x291
>>322936070
>playing any old school JRPG that uses the Wizardry Interface
>can only hold 8 items per character
>nothing stacks
>>
>>322917449
Selling to shops.

Most games have problems with encumbrance because the player is encouraged to carry useless shit
>>
>>322945084
Games with first person animations for trivial tasks should have health warnings on the cover.
Fucking nausea inducing, disorienting shit
>>
>>322945229
Doesn't take long to start noticing patterns
Oh hey look it's this room again with the 2 enemies and that one jump in the middle
>>
>>322917449
Just find a place to put all of your junk, you hoarder.
>>
File: 1331760023077.jpg (29 KB, 436x436) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1331760023077.jpg
29 KB, 436x436
Every game mechanic which is meant to make the game more "exciting" like weight limit to not carry a weapon for all situations at all time.

The PROBLEM is how they approach it. Encumbrance is overcome with packmule companions and items that lets you carry more which is always featured, so it's pretty much pointless and just makes you do more clicks to get something.

Condition/Repair where you are SHOWERED with things that can do repairs after a while and is required to do enough damage against bullet sponge enemies. There's no stress or excitement involved, just a few extra clicks between every few fights.

Money in games with infinite money to gain. Enemies respawning with gear you can sell, merchants buying everything you got every time. Quests you can farm for money rewards etc. Either it has some really stupid prices for any little thing or you'll buy 3 houses and never have anything else to spend your 500 million gold on. This is where linear games with no backtracking or money farming shine. Cash becomes a second form of experience, once spent on one thing you can't have that other thing. At least not right away and you won't always have enough to get every little thing like different skill trees.
>>
>>322945229
>>322945442
It's only a problem if it's not programmed well.
Unfortunately, video game developers can't into math, so they slap simplex noise on everything and call it a day.
>>
>>322933181
If the game forces me to repeat an action until it becomes a chore then no, I don't want to play that game.

Although if you know a big open world game where walking everywhere is always full of new adventures, I'd really to know which one, to play and enjoy it too.

The only ones that come to my mind are GTA games and their clones because the cars go fast enough to not become boring, but all the rest you move too slow, and there is no variety enough to make walking any zone funny beyond the first time you explore it.
>>
Randomly enchanted weapons
>oh boy! A great sword with an enchantment that increases my damage when I'm using wands and increases my vision by 0.1% how useful!
>>
>>322939358
>Games with weight AND grid

aaaah
>>
>>322945436

> "go in this 10ft x 10ft room while holding a button that makes everything dim and fisheye-lensed so you can spin around in circles looking for the tiny glowing thing floating in 3d texture soup; hope you brought some dramamine!"
>>
>>322917449
ITT: Game mechanics that are good, but not fun.
>>
>>322946185
No thery're actually neither
>>
Encumbrance is fucking pointless because they don't put any effort to you making an actual choice.
All consumables weigh almost nothing and unless there's weapon degrading, you only need three weapons at most and a set of armor.

Just look at demon souls, grass weighs fucking 0.1 so carrying the max amount isn't going to have you make "deep choices in what to items you need to take" its just shit like 3-1 where there's two sets of armor and a shit ton of weapons that disappear if you pick them up and leave them.
Or its just shit like Fallout 4 where ammo and stimpacks are weightless and drugs weigh nothing, and you just fast travel back and forth anyways just to move all that shit.
They should honestly just have something where you can magically send items back to your box, so the shit you obviously are only gonna sell for gold aren't weighing you down. and thus they'd have to put a bigger emphasis on the weight of the things you'd want to bring with you.
>>
>new game plus
>only lets you keep certain items

How dare I want to actually play around with the Black Panther Soul in more than 3 rooms
>>
>>322946185
How can they be good if they aren't fun?
>>
>>322946352
>NG+
>Enemies aren't any stronger, so everything is trivially easy
>>
>>322946352
That shit pissed me off in Persona 4.
If I beat the fucking game I deserve to keep all the fucking levels I got and have fun next playthrough not repeat the same grinding over and over again.
>>
>>322946345
Guild Wars 2 has that actually
>>
>>322946513
>except for two superbosses at the very end of the game
>>
>>322944472
sup old GTAs
>>
>>322946389
They keep autists like you playing them, they slow you down from breezing through them in a day, they make you come back, you have a bit of fun, and some irritation.
>>
>>322946345
Torchlight 2 had a companion that you could send back to base to sell your shit, it was pretty neat
>>
>>322917449

> I should be able to carry the kitchen sink on my back
> while playing a roleplaying game

Want to carry more stuff? Increase strength. Want to not get encumbered? Be smart, grab what you really need.

I mean, how do you even get encumbered anon? Sell stuff you don't need, carry money. You don't need 10+ weapons in your backpack.
>>
>wave thumbsticks to open a door/chest
>mash X to escape from falling debris
>>
>>322946605

I was thing about the pack mule in runescape for that last bit, where instead of chucking away your healing items to pick up the stuff thats worth more, you just last until you run out of things
>>
>>322946958
as soon as a videogame tells me what button to press, in real-time, during gameplay, i hit the "OFF" switch on the console.
>>
File: 1430511510334.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1430511510334.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
Stealth games with quicksaves

>theres a very difficult and risky path
>there are multiple alternate paths
>just quick save and take the risky path until perfect stealth

Seriously why do stealth games even have alarms and combat, if you're supposed to reload when you're caught.
>>
>>322945343
name one faggot
>>
>>322945084
>what is resident evil 6

jesus crapcom and japs what the fuck were you thinking
>>
>simon says minigames
>>
>>322940310
>not watching a movie
These keypresses and mouse clicking really gets in the way
>>
File: 1450503412023.jpg (631 KB, 1698x1131) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1450503412023.jpg
631 KB, 1698x1131
>stealth sections in a game not designed around stealth
>>
>>322947191
And it's always the same patterns no matter what the game is
>first is red yellow
>next is red yellow red
>next is yellow blue red green
>last is redd yellow yellow blue red
>>
>>322917449
Cooldowns are pure cancer.
>>
Double jumps

Double jumps are just a game dev working around their poor level design.
>>
>>322946185
>Mechanic isn't fun
>But it's good!
You fucking wot
>>
>>322947437
Fuck you blizzard
>HEY LET'S ADD A FUN ITEM THAT ADDS NOTHING TO THE GAME OTHER THAN TO FUCK AROUND WITH AND HAVE FUN WITH PEOPLE FOR A FEW SECONDS
>cooldown 4 days
>>
>>322947437
cooldowns allow you to use insanely strong abilities, which is fun. they are balanced because you can use them very seldom. how is that not a good gameplay aspect?
>>
>>322947437
>class has no cooldowns
>is OP as fuck because they can use all their abilities all the time
Fucking BC warlocks.
>class has lots of cooldowns
>is OP as fuck because they can destroy anyone if they want by using all cooldowns
Fucking rogues.
>>
>>322947230

This time with less nice:

The fact that you keep jumping to this fucking idiotic retort is evidence only that games are so stagnant that idiots can't even envision anything else.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
>>322944252
There is one game series that has a durability system I really enjoyed (and they fucking removed it with the latest entry). Way of the Samurai 1, 2 and 3 made the management of your durability a combat condition that you took into account during a fight with it's Heat design.

You put too much tension on your blade (by means of recklessly clashing against blocking enemies or blocking yourself, using attacks that result in higher heat buildup) and it'll suffer. As long as you do not allow the sword to reach maximum tension on the heat gague (red bar filling up those segmented blocks above the green health bar), it will stay in top condition.

When it gets too much, the sword will lose one of the blocks, reducing only the capacity for heat it can take before breaking further, making it more dangerous to continue the way you're fighting. The sword's performance does not suffer at all until all Heat blocks are lost and the sword snaps off. The sword can be easily repaired and more blocks added to the sword's durability. With a bit of skill applied, you'll never have to worry about your sword being damaged.

Such a system could fit into other games easily - freeroam FPS - firing an automatic rifle in excess will heat up the barrel, making it warp and potentially break. As long as you don't go spewing bullets nonstop to a breaking point, any weapon should reliably go through thousands of rounds with no noticeable loss of performance.
>>
>raise/lower the water level puzzles

It's not difficult, it's tedious
>>
>>322947695
They make the gameplay mechanical.
>Use skills in order, wait while doing nothing interseting
>>
>>322947437
>rogues during vanilla
>"WELL I CANT DUEL YOU BECAUSE I HAVE ALL MY SKILLS ON COOLDOWN :^)"
>if they don't they just evaporate everyone because balanced class is balanced
>>
>>322944819
The first way is setting up to be a simulation of world economy (I.e with supply \ demand between towns and cities)
>>
>puzzles
It's not difficult, it's tedious
>>
>>322939613
>man, I really want to carry this thing with me, but the shape is too awkward to efficiently fit my bag!

Fixed
>>
>game introduces a new and fun as fuck mechanic
>by the time game has been completed by 95%

what's even the point
>>
>>322947772
I really liked this system too. Haven't played much of 4 due to lack of time, but its a shame they removed it.
>>
Encumberance has actually been dumbed down in later Beth games.

In MW you couldn't even move when encumbered. In OB you could mvoe slowly, but if you picked up more, you'd be rooted completely.

In Skyrim you can walk slowly regardless of having a 1000/250 carry weight.
>>
>>322947772
That does sound pretty cool
>>
>wait around while people talk to eachother until the next area opens up
>>
>>322947953
>simulation of world economy
>The only implemented part is vendors not having unlimited money
Hahahaha no
>>
>>322947562
They're mechanics that make you want to progress, and get invested in the game. Can't carry much? Level up your stats. Want a better weapon? Grind for it. Etc etc.
>>
File: (You).jpg (77 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
(You).jpg
77 KB, 1800x1200
>>322941679

That is already invented.
>>
>>322947758
That was my first post in the thread idiot.

You are an SJW, complaining about shit without actually doing shit.
>>
>>322948258
>Can't carry much? Level up your stats
Nobody ever looked forward to leveling up so that he can carry another rusty sword back from his next dungeon trip
>>
>>322948374
Wouldn't know, I haven't played a video game in three years.
>>
>>322948181
To be fair, in MW there was a shitton of spells and potions you could use to avoid encumberance.
>>
>>322947772
Interesting system, not realistic at all really though. I also fail to see how you would effectively apply it to anything other than melee combat.
>>
>>322948258
>make you want to progress, and get invested in the game
Except they don't. They break the flow of the game and bore you out of your mind.
>>
>>322941774
it's a very thin tote bag
>>
File: Tired Sadfrog.png (129 KB, 306x306) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Tired Sadfrog.png
129 KB, 306x306
>quest items have weight
>can't drop them
>>
>>322948258
>oh sweet, next level I can deal extra damage and make people explode into a shower of gore

>...or I guess I could carry 4 more mops and a shovel back to town
>>
File: 1414262046100.gif (262 KB, 267x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1414262046100.gif
262 KB, 267x200
>>322948789

>finish quest
>still can't drop it or remove it from inventory
>>
>>322948789
>Quest item crashes the game on certain interactions
>Can drop it and it actually serves no purpose
Thanks Bethesda.
>>
>>322928351
>always carrying enough equipment to bankrupt every shop in the game and buy whatever you want
Let me guess, you intentionally limit how you sell things and what you pick up, in which case why even bother turning off a weight limit?
>>
>>322939441
>Not liking NG+
It should be in every game fuck you.
>>
I fucking hate you /v/ and 50% of your shitty opinions
>>
>>322949068
That happens more often than it should.
>>
>>322948789
>quest item appears out of nowhere in your inventory
>it spawns a beast that steals an artefact
>>
>>322917449
Any rpg should follow dark souls formula of letting you access all the shit in you inventory and only adding encumbrance to items equipped. It just makes so much sense. Bethesdas model sucks shit.
>>
>>322917449
The problem with encumbrance is that half the time it means fuck all until you accidentally pick up a cup and suddenly you can't go anywhere because you've now got 301lb of stuff on you instead of a much more reasonable 300lb.
Inventory tetris has always been much better at forcing you to think about what you need vs what you want.
>>
Double jumping but only in games where you have it by default, because there's no reason to never not double jump in those games.
>>
>>322948395

You are such an insufferable fucking idiot, that I won't even deign to explain why.

Go away.
>>
>its a "specific stat check boss" in an rpg
>its a "gear check boss" in an rpg
>its a "specific item check boss" in an rpg
>its a "special weakness you have no clue about boss" in an rpg
>its a "invulnerable period that lasts way too long boss" in an rpg
>its a video game based around collecting many MANY items and you have almost no storage space for it at all whatsoever or the storage space you are given is cumbersome to deal with
>its a game with 700 trillion different types of fucking ammo for guns holy fuck just let me shoot stuff without deciding what kinda special snowflake rounds i need to use
>its a "difficulty noticabely spikes completely out of nowhere" mission in the GTA series

Also I wanna make a special submission just for one part of Borderlands.

There is a part before you bust out of the beginner area near firestone where you gotta fight Mad Mel in a giant Runner Arena battle.

There is no fucking way you can do that mission without either:

1. dying loads of times and losing money
2. cheesing the mission by grenade jumping back out of that fucking arena and using that ramp as cover

I honestly don't see how that mission is possible with a vehicle, and I sure as shit don't see how you can stop them from just running you over on foot, ontop of the hordes of axe throwing faggots that can for some reason throw an axe 80 yards and hit you ALWAYS.

Seriously, I don't see how to complete that mission without basically cheating or dying like 10 times. I don't see it at all.
>>
>interaction with a certain character makes automatically take part in a certain quest that character was involved in

I think Sacred did this shit.
>>
>>322949385
Only if it's something more than just enemies having more health.
>>
>>322949434
>Describing undertale for the sake of being esoteric.
>>
>>322949551
You also could make encumbrance non-discrete with a linear or lograithmic impact on your speed or abilities.
>>
>>322948997
>Strength does nothing but increase carry capacity.
Get a load of this clown.
>>
>>322938453
>You don't know which items you need
So you really think you'll need all those rat carcasses?
>>
File: 1442857185938.jpg (10 KB, 300x186) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1442857185938.jpg
10 KB, 300x186
>you can't finish a mission/quest before reaching a certain point

stop doing this any time
>>
>>322917449
The main problem is they never use encumbrance as a meaningful device. Its a literal regression from Daggerfall where money had weight so you had to go to banks to deposit money and get checks, which were either weightless or close enough, and you had boats and carriages to store items on. We went from that to the shit we have now and it all started, like every other crappy thing in TES, with the failure that is Morrowind.
>>
>>322949674
Mad Mel isn't actually that hard if you just stay in the vehicle. I just drive around in circles with the auto aim hitting everything. If I get knocked down I use a rocket launcher to take out a vehicle.

It's boring, but it was never very hard.
>>
>>322950149
>You're obviously only picking up absolute trash because you're an idiot!
Yeah ok.
>>
>>322948449
Yeah, they do, because they fucking hate it. They hate the shit out of not being able to carry much, so they LIKE being able to carry a bit more. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>322949887
I was actually talking about OF4
>>
>>322948395
>That was my first post in the thread idiot.
Not him, but that fucking retarded conclusion you jumped to has been brought up like 7 times already.
>>
>boss fight makes you scream really loud
>mom makes you go to bed without dessert

I hate it when developers do this.
>>
I like how Morrowind does encumbrance. Nothing feels better than dropping off 600 pounds of loot and moving like a bat out of hell again.
>>
>>322917449
You are the reason they keep taking mechanics out of rpgs. Don't worry, they'll get rid of encumbrance eventually.
>>
File: fb0.jpg (40 KB, 479x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
fb0.jpg
40 KB, 479x720
>>322949605
*tip*
>>
>>322936772
>RPG game
>PIN Number

GIVE ME MORE
>>
>>322950302

>if you just stay in the vehicle

He has two other faggots in cars even before he spawns, a vehicle is not surviving when Mel appears.
>>
>>322950068
oh yeah, I'm definitely looking to benefit from all that increased melee damage. So glad I get to make a weapon type I have no interest in better so that I can carry an extra arm full of battered clipboards.
>>
>>322950359
What OF4? Does it really need an acronym?

You also perfectly described a scene from undertale too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCiSsEfRo7o
>>
>>322949551
There was an old Windows 3.1 rpg, forget the name, but it actually did encumbrance surprisingly well. Basically, every container had two stats: weight, and bulk. This meant you couldn't just fill a small bag with a hundred iron maces - they would be too heavy for the bag. Nor could you stuff a large shield in the small bag - won't fit. But a small bag was great for holding a dozen scrolls or potions or rings etc. Bags, chests, belts, and other objects that could hold stuff could also be placed in larger objects - so you could have a belt in a bag in a (small) chest in your backpack. The only other rule was you couldn't nest magical bags of holding. You, as a character, also had a maximum weight based off your strength. When you hit it you simply couldn't carry any more - BUT, every pound of crap you were carrying also affected your "action speed" (listed as a % of normal). Even though the game was turn based it still kept track of time in a very fine way. If you were light enough, you could outrun monsters because you got to move 4 times every time they moved 3. Or, if you were too heavy, the opposite could happen. Some monsters were faster than others, of course, but it was also possible with an extremely fast/light character to dance in, strike, and dance out before they a slow monster had a chance to respond.
Anyways, it was a great system that I've never seen replicated anywhere else.
>>
>>322917449
>>322917659
>>322917851
>>322917852

>all this casual

disgusting, /v/, I thought better of you
>>
>>322950851

git gud
>>
>>322950221
>open world RPG
>you're allowed to explore freely
>but you can't actually enter any of the new areas unless you first have advanced enough in the main quest
What's the fucking point? You can f.ex. reach the main city through a secret cave before the main quest asks you to go there, but the gates are locked for whatever reason.
>>
>>322948592
>not realistic at all
That's not a valid point when discussing a video game. A simulation, sure.

You can still apply this to ranged combat with guns if you really wanted. Heat warp on the barrel etc.

Bows, and crossbows? They already have a limited fire rate so I see your point here.
>>
File: you.png (10 KB, 591x140) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
you.png
10 KB, 591x140
>>322950360
>retarded conclusion

All game mechanics increase game time, it's subjective whether or not it's padding.

If you remove all game mechanics people consider padding the game will become a movie.
>>
I have mixed feelings about weapon degradation/repair. I didn't mind it so much in Fallout 3/New Vegas, because the player had a way to repair his own weapons while out exploring.

I absolutely fucking hated it in STALKER, because there was no way to repair your weapons or armor, which gradually got shittier until you hopefully found someone with a slightly less shitty gun than you. It also means that a weapon's given stats are meaningless, since you'll never encounter weapons at full durability, and thus, full damage power.

Which brings me to my next point, systems where weapons that lose stats with every successful attack are fucking bullshit.
>>
>>322950851
I've been able to do it co-op, but single player I tend to get ass raped unless I have a launcher. Typically I die once. It is pretty shit tooo beee aytch familia
>>
>>322948789
>game says it has weight
>it actually doesn't
>>
File: TUMBLING.png (289 KB, 553x463) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
TUMBLING.png
289 KB, 553x463
>>322951863
>Beat a difficult boss
>Cutscenes follow, as expected
>Instead of getting a chance to save, you're thrown into a boss fight
>>
>>322953186
Didn't mean to reply to >>322951863
>>
>>322947695
okay anon

You should always avoid making a player wait.
At most it should be used as a punishment for the players failure. Even then you shouldn't do that because the player is spending more time failing than playing.

It's not a mechanic, it's a gate. Its nothing the player builds up, it's just the game allowing the player to do something. You could have an item that does a blasty thing, it's now in an off state. After you kill someone or X thing X amount of times you restore the skill to be useable. This is still time based in a way, but it makes the player feel like their a part of the skill.

Another thing. Because I hate waiting so much I'm never going to use the skill because I never feel like I need to. It's going to stay in my back pocket until I need it, which is never.
This is a problem with a lot of game with one time use consumables. Same shit here.

Nothing is fun about waiting, nothing is intuitive about waiting. I don't feel better because I waited to use an item that wins the game for me.
>>
>>322951625
I don't disagree with that, but I was talking more about how you and the other anons keep defending encumbrance by saying "If you don;t like it then you don't like video games at all".
>>
>>322951863
I feel like weapon repair is cool if it improves the weapon instead of making it useable. it's kind of the same thing, but if you start the weapon at useable state, and then repairing it and maintaining it makes it stronger and faster. When it gets beet up it goes down to the normal, but it's still usable.
>>
File: 1451902174715.jpg (54 KB, 286x405) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451902174715.jpg
54 KB, 286x405
Carryweight is a poorly-done instance of trying to limit a player's options. Maybe not fucking showering them with loot would work better. Fuck gamedevs.
>>
>>322940838
this guy, lol
>>
File: Reaction170.png (30 KB, 232x285) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Reaction170.png
30 KB, 232x285
>>322943492
How about a low limit on the bonuses of armor you buy, a medium limit of the bonuses on armor you find, and a high limit on armor that you craft?

The same thing could be applied to enchantments if a game has them.
>>
>>322944372
What the hell is wrong with optional lore?

The Metroid Prime and Elder Scrolls series handle that amazingly.
>>
>>322945047
You are absolute trash and your parents regret having you.
>>
>>322944372
>i hate options!

only reasonable arguments there are against shite minigames, DETECTIVE VISION, and shite crafting systems

adding to the thread: time limits as actual timers instead of some physical obstacle
>>
>>322947437
Fuck you, Xenoblade X combat is fun.
>>
>>322953819
Or, have it so that at certain points (75%, 50%, etc) the weapon takes a hit to stats or reliability or whatever, but all at once. That way, you still have to keep your gun working, but you don't have to repair it to 100% after every fucking shot so that your numbers don't get incrementally worse.
>>
>>322951101
/v/ casual as fuck what are you talking about?

where did you think the term 'artificial difficulty' came from?
>>
I hate how Bethesda turned things like lockpicking into a minigame. Just make it require an item, make the sounds and animation of it happening, and make it a dice roll of whether it unlocks or not based on skill. Worked fine in Deus Ex and Thief.
Thread replies: 417
Thread images: 39
Thread DB ID: 369446



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.