[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Achievements ruined gaming Prove me wrong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1429539221022.jpg (638KB, 2000x2786px) Image search: [Google]
1429539221022.jpg
638KB, 2000x2786px
Achievements ruined gaming

Prove me wrong
>>
>>322913023
>states an opinion
>prove me wrong

kill yourself
>>
Chaos destroyed WHFB

Prove me wrong
>>
No they didn't, social media did.
>>
>>322913609
Since when did facts become opinions?
>>
>an arbitrary thing thats really only meant for completitionsts ruined gaming LITERALLY

also nice pic, what are you 13?
>>
>>322913023
Spess Marines aren't even human prove me wrong
>>
Achievements for rare things was a good thing. What killed the idea was achievement"you played tutorial" etc
>>
>>322913905
Its not a space marine tho
>>
>>322913023
Care to make a few points as to why they did?
>>
>>322914189
I know, but it's not an achievement either.
>>
>>322914106
This

No achievement should be earned by doing the bare minimum. It's one thing to have one for completing the game or hitting max level, but one for each mission? One for every ten levels? That shit is stupid. What's the point?

Same with the multi-tier stuff like Kill ten enemies, Kill one hundred enemies, Kill one thousand enemies. How about one achievement for killing ten thousand enemies instead? Or whatever else is scaled to be impressive.
>>
>>322914787
The real question should be, "why do achievements even exist?" You've played the game, so you understand the effort you put into playing it. Other people don't need to know you killed 10000 enemies, and if that is what you need to feel fulfilled after playing the game then there might just be something wrong with you.
>>
>>322913023

Achievements are a symptom of something greater that ruined gaming.
>>
>>322915303
Why do game-over screens exist? Why do 'Thanks for playing' screens exist? Why do high scores and scoreboards exist? Why do mission-result type screens exist? Why do end-scenes exist?
>>
>>322913023
If you make a statement the burden of proof belongs to you.
>>
>>322915553
I can understand the high score list, but how are the other things you listed related? Simply mentioning them won't make your point
>>
>>322916723
You said you dont need achievements to understand the effort you put in, so why do you need anything else? You know you died, why do you need a game over. You know you beat the game, why do you need an ending cut scene? You know you played the game, why do you need to be thanked for it? You know how you did in a given level/mission, why do you need the game to make a report card of it for you?

And the reason for all of that is because we feel like it completes the experience. Good achievements are just an extension of that. Achievement points are a popular concept for the same reason high scores always were. We DO like to let people know about out vidya related accomplishments. Think back to the first time you made the top ten on your favorite arcade game, that didn't feel cool as hell knowing that everyone else would see your initials there when they went to play?
>>
>>322915303
Yeah, having a goal motivates people to do things. It's pretty much that simple.

It's actually how the human mind works, and that little badge you get is recognition, because people also crave recognition.

Sure, in the grand scheme of things it's unimportant, but it still tickles the right parts of the brain.

So congratulations on noticing that publishers are sneaky motherfuckers who use psychological tricks to get people into their products by abusing that pesky rewards mechanism, eh.
>>
File: 1434089610660.gif (216KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
1434089610660.gif
216KB, 500x255px
achievements didnt ruin gaming, DLC did.

Before if you completed an "achievement" in a game your reward was a new costume or weapon.

Now all that extra content is behind a paywall and your only reward is a "you did X" message
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.