[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys think a let's play can be not shit? To be upfront

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 653989.jpg (51KB, 269x600px) Image search: [Google]
653989.jpg
51KB, 269x600px
Do you guys think a let's play can be not shit?

To be upfront about my question; I've been wanting to do them for years, but I'm shy and feel like a retard talking to myself. I've tried shilling out money for the equipment to motivate myself to get over it, a script, post-commentary, etc.

So anyway, if an LP can not be shit, how? Examples would be lovely. And this is probably a stretch, but do you think subtitle commentary or maybe a text to speech approach could work? I have lots of lesser known games I want to share. I want to do something more laid-back and informative, not facecam or "comedy".
>>
>Be good at the game
>Dont talk over cutscenes/dialogue if you're going to be examining the story
>Dont just say "I'm playing this game", do something within the game others haven't done before, make up your own gameplay challenges
>>
>>322888770
If the guy running them is rather down to earth and actually decent at the gameDecent because it can be good to see the odd death here and there.

Vash12349 is easy to watch,hes decent to good at the ones he does with a few he knows off by heart and his commentary keeps you interested without the need to scream or overact.
>>
Why do you want to do them? If it's money, don't bother making good let's plays
>>
>>322889345
No. I have this weird desire to showcase games I really like. I feel like they're wasted just sitting in a drawer. I've already played a them a bunch of times, but I want to /do/ more with them. idk why.
>>
>>322888770
Look up epicnamebro

His lets plays are the only lets plays that should be allowed

>extensive knowledge about the game he's playing
>expresses his love for the game
>doesn't talk during important parts
>played the game multiple times already so doesn't suck
>no stupid ass effects, just the game and the voice
>discusses lore while playing the game instead of commentating what's happening on the screen
>does real talk every now and then about life
>>
Thanks guys, but "do you think subtitle commentary or maybe a text to speech approach could work?"
>>
>>322889541
Okay, then you should have no problem making a good let's play. Just edit it so it doesn't get boring, you don't have comment on it live, you can carefully construct it, make something that showcases the game as you say.

Here's an example of a let's play that did this and that I personally liked for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s&list=PL74BAB66E726A508F
>>
>>322889541
Just do it, if people like your style you'll get views eventually. It can help to try live streaming if you want some direct feedback?

Honestly, there are a lot of different styles of LPers out there and no matter what style it is, knowing / caring about the game you're playing is the one factor that shines through the most. You sound like that would be a really big part of it, and I can tell you already that's a big step in the right direction.
>>
I think bestfriendsplay are a prime example of the " personality " LPer. Basically you're watching the playthrough, sure, but the real reason you watch is because you actually like the guys playing it, their stories and their relationship ( assuming there's more than one person obviously ). A lot of people get upset over cutscenes and dialogues getting talked over/skipped, but this is primarily because they don't care about them or have seen them before, although they don't do it as much when it comes to stuff where the story and dialogue are really important ( See : their Until Dawn LP ) or when they are enjoyable enough. Plus they tend to know their shit and talk about industry stuff a lot since three of 'em have history in the business, and Pat is a fucking fanatic when it comes to some games, so they've always got something to talk about.

So I guess what makes a Let's Play good is you liking the people playing. So if you are inherently likeable to the group that is also your LP's target audience, you'll prolly do fine.
>>
>>322889898
What the fuck is subtitle commentary? You mean post commentary? As in not live commentary?

Yea that works
>>
>>322889898
It could work, but I really don't reccomend it. If you plan on making the type of videos that you are, how do you think people are going to be viewing them and for what purpose?

If it's informative, having a voice and subs option could be viable, sure. Not everyone wants to sit still and watch your video 100% of the time (as reading subs sort of requires you to do), they might want to have it on while they play through the game or multitask whatever the fuck else. (see twitch streams if you don't think it's popular to do this)

There's nothing wrong with subs only but it limits people's viewing/listening options and builds less personality. If that's what you want then go for it.
>>
>>322889898
Text to speech has been tried, and generally found lacking. Subtitle commentary CAN work, but it sort of divides people's attention from the game unless it's never longer than a few words at a time.

Whassamatter, anon, you got a badvoice?
Wanna do a vocaroo so we can judge you
>>
>>322888770
>do you think subtitle commentary or maybe a text to speech approach could work
No. Subtitles make the video twice as long as it needs to be and voice programs sound awful.

Don't ask to like, comment and subscribe. If someone likes your video they'll already do it.

Don't record when you're tired or you're voice sounds dull. I'm not saying you should sound hyperactive either. I remember one guy I used to watch had the dullest fucking voice, except for one episode where he sounded alive. He said it was because he was recording that episode in the daytime and he usually records at like 2am. Unfortunately he went right back to recording at night.

Be professional. No half-assed camcorder or unregistered hypercam.

Make sure you like what you're doing. No point making videos unless they make you happy.

>>322889862
I've seen tons of LPs that do that.
>>
File: 1311333629916.jpg (50KB, 546x366px) Image search: [Google]
1311333629916.jpg
50KB, 546x366px
>>322890657
Seconding vocaroo sample
>>
File: guerilla_s.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
guerilla_s.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>322888770
>Do you guys think a let's play can be not shit?
Yes, absolutely.
>>
>>322891156
>>322890648
>>322890657
Talking makes me feel like a massive asshole and is exhausting/stressful. I can't even do it for multiplayer games.
>>
>>322891654
If talking is exhausting/stressful to you, maybe LPs ain't your field. Maybe consider learning how to draw or animate or something and do that instead?
>>
>>322891126
>Don't ask to like, comment and subscribe.
As much as I agree with this as a consumer, statistics back the practice. Reminding viewers works.
>>
>>322891510
The fuck is even happening here
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
I like japanese LPs, especially by girls:
http://www.nicozon.net/search/%E5%A5%B3%E6%80%A7%E5%AE%9F%E6%B3%81part1%E3%83%AA%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AF/v/d

my fav, a girl from Kansai playing zettai zetsumei: www.nicozon.net/watch/sm7092378

for some you don't even need to know the language, like this one:
Mario 64 The Green Demon challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm3XklWUBzY
>>
>>322891654
Look at it this way: talking in itself isn't bad, it's what you could potentially say and how people would react to it that causes such stress, right? Or are you playing such intensive games that talking causes you to lose focus?

You have to sort of be able to look at yourself from an outside view and ask what people will find interesting / entertaining, while also being able to laugh off negativity. Ask yourself if you'd honestly sit down and watch the video you just made, without being overly critical. Actually watch it a week later to have a "fresh eye".

Not everyone is going to like you. People will nitpick and make fun of you for bad gameplay / weird comment / whatever the fuck man. I realize this sounds kind of contradictory, but it's true, it's the fucking internet.

Grow a thicker skin, be comfortable being yourself via knowing that what you're making is good, look to always be maintaining that quality and even improve.
>>
>>322892279
https://youtu.be/vqURO9YMxBo?t=8m
>>
Kind of early asking for advice when you haven't done anything yet. It'll be great whatever you do since you have little experience.
>>
>>322888770
as long as you provide good emotions, having actual fun, you'll do fine.
watch and learn, this vid has gotten 10 million views at niconico. Only SEVEN vids out of 12,841,776 gotten this much.
https://youtu.be/sGENy2mcLA8
>>
>>322892562
Fucking text to speech playthroughs is one of the most autistic things I've seen but there is something cute about it.
I used to watch this one
http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/36317556
>suddenly dolphin with rap music playing in the background
>>
I figure there are two types of Lets Plays that channels tend to lean towards.

Entertainment types, where you just playthrough the game for fun's sake, making jokes and such, and Walkthrough types, where you give a 100% breakdown of the game and it's mechanics and such.

You could do both easily enough. It just depends on whether you want to make jokes more or explain game stuff more. Chuggaconroy's a huge dork, but you can tell the dude cares just from all the info he gives about the game.
>>
The Dark Id does the best LPs... and they're never videos.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.