[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nuke Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13

File: screenshot_defcon.jpg (60KB, 602x376px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_defcon.jpg
60KB, 602x376px
In light of tonight's events, I figured it's time to have a good ol thread about the best representations of nuclear weapons in vidya

Let's have a comfy nuke thread, boys
>>
File: C&C.gif (2MB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
C&C.gif
2MB, 267x200px
>>
>>322848327
The nuclear missile was the shittiest super weapon in that game
Made me really sad
>>
>>322847263
threadbump. always wanted to try BACON: EVERYONE FRIES. gonna go check if it's available on steam, is there still a community for it?
>>
>>322849803
Defcon is dead as fuck, but you can occasionally get some people together to play it
>>
There's no visuals to it, but the way Aurora handled nukes is pretty nice.
That way being that all missiles are nuclear, have incredible range, and crazy damage. No other weapon can cross an entire system, no other weapon can split into submunitions that can further split into submunitions, and no other weapon can be aimed at planetary surfaces to eliminate the native population.
They're all purpose death dealers.
>>
dropping a nuke on a really dense city in Rise of Nations was always super satisfying
>>
File: 1436800278373.jpg (69KB, 700x338px) Image search: [Google]
1436800278373.jpg
69KB, 700x338px
>You were born just in time to watch the world be destroyed by a nuclear holocaust
>>
>>322852405
It will never happen because of mutually assured destruction + north korea is well known for dick waving and not actually doing anything
>>
File: 1443225379346.png (529KB, 706x608px) Image search: [Google]
1443225379346.png
529KB, 706x608px
>>322847263
>tonight's events
w-what?
>>
>>322852729
North Korea successfully tested a really shitty hydrogen bomb and now thinks they're tough shit
>>
>>322852729
It's fucking nothing. NK can barely get a missile to its fucking neighbor.
>>
File: 1377627491456.jpg (48KB, 600x496px) Image search: [Google]
1377627491456.jpg
48KB, 600x496px
>>322852815
>>322852723
Maybe China will let us kill NK just so they dont have to deal with them anymore.
>>
What was that one game where you could nuke planets from orbit?
That shit was fun
>>
>>322852729
North Korea "successfully" "tested" a nuclear bomb in their own country.
>>
>>322852979
China would never dream of letting the US roflstomp NK. They'd rather it be a laughingstock on their side than a puppet of the US.
>>
>>322852815
I thought they didn't even have a nuclear bomb? Neat, though. At least we'll be down one korea in the future
>>
>>322853054
Planetary Annihilation?
Spore?
>>
>>322853203
No, but Planetary Annihilation DOES have pretty good nukes
I can't remember what I'm thinking of
It was a space 4x and it featured bombardment with nukes from orbit on a big scale
>>
>>322848494

Eh? It was easily the best, fucking idiot.
>>
>>322852723
Kek, you don't know nothing. North Korea or rather its elite (since the common people are dying of hunger and forced labor) are securing their freedom for generations. They want the world to know they have nukes because nukes are the ultimate don't fuck with me.

None of the middle east wars would have happened if they had actually had WMD's or nukes. Syria and Iraq wouldn't be shitholes if they had nukes. One of the reasons everyone is so fucking butthurt over Iran getting nukes since they know and everyone knows they're next. Nukes are love, nukes are peace, nukes are everything.
>>
>>322853390
Sins of a solar empire?
>>
does this count:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIuDbjRVaAI
>>
>>322853390
Sins of a Solar Empire?
Galactic Civilizations?
Aurora?
>>
>>322847263
>in light of tonight's events
What.
>>
>>322853464
Yes, that was it
Those nukes were satisfying
>>
>>322852405
>he thinks the biggest glass cannon on the planet has the capability of a nuclear holocaust
>>
>>322853418
Thats what I fucking said. Mutually Assured Destruction.
>>
>>322853390

Nukes in PA blow dick compared to supcom. The actual planet destroying weapons are much more interesting.
>>
>>322853418
America/Israel poisioned Iran's nuclear progress like years ago with Stuxnet.
>>
File: the end.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
the end.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
File: Sins_of_a_Solar_Empire_cover.png (258KB, 286x400px) Image search: [Google]
Sins_of_a_Solar_Empire_cover.png
258KB, 286x400px
>>322853054
Any space based TPS/RTS in existence? Also this game has a faction known as the TEC or Trader Emegerncy Coution that employs what is just an orbital launching platform to throw planent busters across entire systems. And thats not taking into account a dedicated battleship that bombards planets with a mass array of guns as well as a dedicated bomber frigate that purges and taints the surface of life with radioactive bombs. Shits fun yo
>>
>>322853557
NK H-Bomb test. Not confirmed if successful or not.
>>
>>322853896
*Coalition
>>
>>322853579
>TEC fleet rains nukes down
>Advent lobs plasma
>Vasari glass the planet
So damn satisfying.
>>
>>322854019
>Vasari glass the planet
I thought they employed swarms of nano machines though to cut off entire systems of their life support technology and the like?
Also TEC master race reporting
>>
>>322852109
>using missiles
Glorious laser master race
>>
>>322852109
How do I into Aurora
I really want to, but every time I try, the things the wiki tells me to do don't actually work
>>
>>322854190
They do make extensive use of nanotech, but when they're sieging a planet, they just burn it with orbital lasers. Unless you're playing as the faction that devours entire planets for their resources.
TEC best faction.
>>
>>322853054
Not really nukes but in Master of Orion 1 and 2 you can bombard the surface of a planet with various payloads ranging from standard nuclear to experimental shit like void missiles and death rays. But I always found it more satisfying just to go land-side with my troops and heavy weapons blasting the shit out of anything that dares to stick its head out. Occupy the planet, give them an ultimatum to either join us or get exterminated like the alien scum they are.
Sometimes I would just eliminate entire worlds of its native life and turn them into pleasure worlds for my people. I do regret it some days.
>>
>>322854614
git gud Trial and error, it isn't really that complex
>>
>>322854638
TEC had the best theme music as well

I would link it if i wasn't on mobile
>>
>>322854750
>I do regret it some days.

Regret what? There's nothing wrong with doing that.
>>
>getting your panties in a twist over NK

They do this shit every year, literally nothing is going to happen.
>>
>be korean
>get nuked
>>
>australia and new zealand just chilling at the bottom of the world watching it unfold
you watch, the earth will be repopulated with cunts and sheep shaggers, imagine the accent that evolves from them two.
>>
>>322855324
1 step closer to mad max
>>
>>322855324
>australia and new zealand just chilling at the bottom of the world watching it unfold
>implying
Worst case scenario is that Australia goes off with its rampant shitposting while NZ quietly sinks into the ocean. Whenever there is a war going on Aussie will always be the first to jump in head first.
>>
File: yes.gif (2MB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
yes.gif
2MB, 500x525px
>>322855324
>world blows up
>hear about it 3 weeks later because "lol at the arse end of the world"
Feelsgreatcunt
>>
>>322855564
>NZ quietly sinks into the ocean
The mental image of this is killing my sides
>>
>>322855873
>world blows up
>witnessed
>>
File: 1429933234024.jpg (249KB, 541x380px) Image search: [Google]
1429933234024.jpg
249KB, 541x380px
>nukes in civ will always be underwhelming as fuck
>>
>>322855324
>the earth will be repopulated with cunts and sheep shaggers, imagine the accent that evolves from them two.
>imagine the accent that evolves from them two.
There really is no tangible difference between the two of them anon. Only ausfags will tell you otherwise but they are both practically the same.
>>
File: 1451317718320.gif (35KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1451317718320.gif
35KB, 200x150px
>>322854614
Unfortunately the wiki is outdated. Here's what you do just to start things off.
Construct a geo survey ship and send it around the system to look for those precious trans Newtonian minerals. While it's searching, construct a freighter fleet and assign some of your industry to construct automated mines. Have the fleet unload them on any planet with significant reserves, alongside a mass driver to launch the minerals back to your home planet. Don't forget to leave a driver on the planet to receive the packet, or you'll send tons of rock flying at hundreds of km/s smashing into the surface. This is bad for industry.
Use another percentage of your industry to construct infrastructure, and haul it to a suitable planet. Have colony ships bring people there so that the colony will grow. If it grows large enough, a commercial space lane will be established. Subsidize that shit so it'll have money to build colony ships/freighters. This will make hauling things to different planets much easier, as you can pay those ships to haul for you.
As for civilizations, if you want to go easy mode, make a meritocracy. They get a bonus to starting civilian/naval shipyards, research points, and industrial capacity. If you want to remove all challenge from the game, give your civ a population in the billions. The way Steve designed Aurora means this will give you a metric shitload of shipyards, IC, and research points, giving you a huge boost before the game has even started.
>>
>>322856250
you know not the black and white differences our accents have.
>>
>>322852979
I want to fuck that Commie
>>
>>322856652
Enlighten me then anon I'd very much like to hear this one.
>>
>>322856820
give me a sentence and I'll speak it. all I need is a kiwi to say the same thing. all will become clear.
>>
>>322856902
>"Good morning there fine sir, pleasant weather today isn't it?"
Try as you might there is still no tangible difference between an ausfag and a kiwifag. You are basically two sides of the same coin.
>>
>>322853145
Looks like we know who's well versed in global politics.
>not you
>>
File: 1433215499135.gif (309KB, 480x380px) Image search: [Google]
1433215499135.gif
309KB, 480x380px
>>322854614
As for miscellaneous shit, assign officers and scientists to a geo survey team and land them on random planets to survey. They can uncover hidden deposits, or increase the accessibility of existing deposits. This is essential, as without minerals, you are doomed to a slow death, and the xenos will cackle as they take your hard researched technology for themselves. Don't forget to assign officers to ships, as their skills can increase efficiency.
And if you have a gas giant in your system, haul fuel converters into orbit immediately. They'll siphon the minerals from deep inside and turn it into fuel, giving you a massive fuel station from which you can send your ships flying into the fringe of the system. You don't want to risk having a ship run out of fuel far from home, as that means you'll have to stage a rescue operation. Or scuttle it, if you're heartless.
If the people in your colonies get restless, construct a Planetary Defence Centre either on site, or at home and have freighters transport it over. They get antsy if there's no military protecting them.
If you ever probe into a neighboring system and find ship remains floating about, don't send anything bigger than a survey drone through. It's likely whatever it was that destroyed the ship is still in system and very hostile.
And for God's sake, don't EVER send engineers to search alien ruins without military support. You will come to regret the day you landed on that planet. And if a jump point ever appears in system that wasn't there at the start, panic, for your doom is coming.
Eventually all this and the accompanying details will be second nature. Aurora is a lot simpler than it looks.
>>
>>322857313
Not him, but how do I deal with Sorium harvesters and getting fuel? Like, exactly how does it work?

Last game I tried, I had some nice mining operations going on, but I ran out of fuel, and got stuck.
>>
>>322857313
How does Aurora compare to Distant Worlds?
>>
>>322857869
This is off the top of my head, but the harvester basically siphons the sorium and converts it into fuel. I've found the best way to use them is to combine harvesters and huge fuel tanks together to make an orbital fuel station, and have a tug drag it into position around a gas giant. Then you can order your ships to fly to it and transfer fuel into their tanks. You should really make this a conditional order so you don't have to manually refuel every single ship you construct.
Sorium is just about the most common trans Newtonian mineral, followed closely by duranium, as it forms in large quantities (tens, even hundreds of millions of tons) in the cores of gas giants. Assuming you didn't make a custom system, Jupiter and Saturn will be your best friends.
>>322858337
Aurora is to Distant Worlds as Distant Worlds is to Galactic Civilizations. Distant Worlds has adjustable levels of automation, so it's easier to learn the ropes than it is in Aurora, as anything you don't understand yet can be handled by the AI.
Aurora puts you in the cockpit and doesn't tell you jack shit about how to fly it, which is a damn shame considering the fact that no one is actively updating the wiki.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.