[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

what went wrong?
>>
Sticker Star is such a weird game. on paper, it ought to be fucking horrible. compared to the first two PM games, it certainly seems awful. it also get crucified like any game that passes below that certain "goodness" threshold, because things can either be GODLIKE or SHIT.

but, it actually had good elements in it, despite all the bad things and lacking things.
>level design
much better than ttyd's repeated enemy-infested corridors
>music
excellent, world 6 theme and Boo Night Fever are especially good
>what little writing they managed to keep in
Sniffit or Whiffit was great, as was the Enigmansion. and that wandering Toad and his journals.
>boss fights
if you didn't pussy out, they were tough and creative and easily the best parts of the game.
>non-linearity
surprised me how much of this game you can do out of order. I beat world 3 before even starting world 2, and went back and forth between worlds 4 and 5.

however, as we all know, it had a bunch of shit that held it down.
>no story, little dialogue
fucking criminal in a mario rpg
>classic mario environments only
almost negated the interesting level design with generic looking levels
>classic mario enemies behaving like classic mario enemies only
the charm of mario RPGs is talking to friendly goombas and fighting crazy non-mario monsters and shit.
>no partners, no badges, only attack the first in line
taking away your options in battle means simplifying it and making it less interesting
>no experience or level up bonuses
makes you not want to fight battles, as the only thing you gain is stickers and coins
>only resource is stickers
battles do nothing but waste stickers, to get stickers. the game basically encourages you to avoid battle and save stickers.
>berating you for not using the supereffective sticker on the bosses
holy shit, the game almost doesn't want you to even fucking play it.

the game manages to end up somewhere around mediocre. A highly flawed system, not saved by the few strong points.
>>
>>322839743
It's babby's first RPG, with random encounters that don't mean shit, and with bosses that are boring regardless if you use their one signature weakness that makes them a joke, or does 1 damage.

Also no partners, badges, too few abilities, boring characters, and rehashed themes from NSMB2.

There's a lot more too.
It's complete garbage
>>
>>322839743
people like you keep bringing it up like with Other M for a therapeutic hate circlejerk
>>
>>322840040

no it's total dogshit, despite your desperate attempt at pretending it's okay
>>
>>322839743
Miyamoto opened his mouth.
IS took his "advice" a bit too far
>>
Pretty much everything except the music.
>>
>>322839743
I think we need one of these for paper jam. It sucks.
>>
Too casual for nerds, too complex for normies.
>>
>>322841012
Read the last part of his post
>>
File: 1450148252255.gif (982KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1450148252255.gif
982KB, 320x287px
Club Nintendo members that gave their opinion.
>>
>>322841461
>the game manages to end up somewhere around mediocre

no, it's total irredeemable shit

nothing in the list of positives makes up for the negatives
>>
>>322841815
>a highly flawed system, not saved by the few strong points
>>
>>322839743
does anyone know if the Mario rpg was any good?
>>
>>322843424
It sucked.
>>
>>322844154
which parts exactly?
>>
File: ShiggyDiggy.jpg (69KB, 1280x825px) Image search: [Google]
ShiggyDiggy.jpg
69KB, 1280x825px
>>
>>322844236
I haven't finished it, but all of it thus far.
>>
>>322839743

>be devs
>"Let's take a pretty good series (bar SPM), take lots of the good shit out, and slap stickers all over it!"
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.