[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come Japanese developers don't get nearly the amount

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

File: 90-meche.jpg (45KB, 215x250px) Image search: [Google]
90-meche.jpg
45KB, 215x250px
How come Japanese developers don't get nearly the amount of shit from this board as Western developers for making games that emphasize narrative over gameplay? e.g. Danganronpa, Persona (dungeon crawling parts suck), etc.
>>
I don't think most people play games like Danganronpa or Persona. I sure as hell don't because I am not interested in japanese high school simulators.
>>
Because in those at least you have to press buttons to advance the dialogue

Or something, I don't really give a shit either way
>>
Because they don't try to act like they're redefining videogames when they do it
>>
Because they nail the narrative aspect pretty well. And often times they are niche games rather than AAA games. Remember what hapoened to FF13?
>>
>>322773828
Persona really varies in its gameplay, P1's dungeons were good, and the battle system was decent for the time
P2's dungeons were ok but the fucking encounters happened way too often and were not even fun because of how easy you could destroy enemies.
P3 came and the dungeon got lazy, but the gameplay was a HUGE improvement and added a lot of good changes.
Then P4 came and the dungeons were similar but more much smaller, making it look not as tedious, but also being so easy you could clear it in a day or two, encounters in P4 were less entertaining and challenging than P3's
>>
Japanese devs are humble and cute.
>>
>>322773828
Niche games for a niche audience. Dangit Ron Paul and Persona are not enjoyed by normies as a whole, may they ree in peace.
>>
They don't try to appeal to anything other than the demographic they're made for, and aren't pushed as big triple A trash for everyone to buy.

Fan base generally keeps to themselves as well. Weebs don't go waving their e-peen everywhere on the internet either because they're busy fantasizing about being the little girl and being sissy sluts here on /v/
>>
>>322773828
Because weeaboos care about one thing: anime characters appearing on screen.

They have no standards other than that, that's the one thing they demand, anything else can suck and it's fine
>>
Those two examples you posted have gameplay elements.

Meanwhile in burgerland, people get mad at you for thinking that literal DVD menus like Her Story shouldn't be called games.
>>
File: 1451920714533.gif (1MB, 346x261px) Image search: [Google]
1451920714533.gif
1MB, 346x261px
>>322773828
moe
>>
>>322774667
This desu senpai

See also: xenoblade chron x
>>
>>322774667
That's not true. I'm pretty picky about my cute anime girls, I definitely have standards.
>>
>>322774824
This, if the characters aren't in glasses, I go out of my way to put them in glasses and if I can't put them in glasses, its a shit game.
>>
Probably because Japanese devs aren't as obnoxious about it. Danganronpa and Persona aren't paraded about as revolutions in the game industry the same way stuff like The Last of Us or Gone Home are. It's not even that one's better or worse than the other, but one is shoved down people's throats far more often.
>>
Those games are treated as what they are

Western story telling games are treated like overrated garbage
>>
Because no one in Japan thinks games are art, and no one really goes around trying to make it accepted for a bigger audience.
>>
>>322774560
>They don't try to appeal to anything other than the demographic they're made for, and aren't pushed as big triple A trash for everyone to buy.
>>322774281
>Because they don't try to act like they're redefining videogames when they do it
But people will even bitch when Western indie developers like Telltale put too much emphasis on narrative.
>>
>>322773828
Because Japanese don't claim games with shitty gameplay are "an artistic experience" or bullshit like that
>>
>>322773828
1) both of those series are fucking great.
2) I don't at all mind games that emphasize story over gameplay, but a lot of Western games have shit generic stories.
>>
>>322774748
>gameplay elements.
But the gameplay in Danganronpa is shit, like that awful rhythm mini game and the Logic Dives in the sequel. Likewise, most people play P3 and P4 for the VN-like segments, because the dungeon crawling segments in those games are tedious garbage. If you don't like the story and characters in these games, there's pretty much no reason to play them.
>>
File: 4.jpg (33KB, 800x611px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
33KB, 800x611px
>>322773828

because smug animu grills
>>
>>322776105
This

They even admit it when games are just books and call them Visual Novels
>>
>>322776205
I play P3 because it's the only game that lets me summon satan to fight death itself while i punch humanity's sins with fists infused with my waifu's love
>>
>>322776105
So it's basically a grudge against the people behind the games rather than the games themselves? And frankly if the narrative of the game is its main selling point and the gameplay is mediocre at best, then you might as well keep the tedious "game" segments to a minimum.
>>
>>322775967

That's half-true. There's not a lot of worldwide appeal going on in Japanese games (though bigger companies like Capcom or Square Enix do concern themselves with this) but there is a lot of following trends and appealing to the widest native audience. That just happens to be a very different monster with Japan - for example, series like Hyperdimension Neptunia or Senran Kagura working the CGDCT angle, or for an even more timely example, #FE taking SMT and FE and warping them to play on Japan's obsession with idol culture.
>>
>>322775967
That's because the Japanese audience has fewer qualms about narrative-heavy games in general. They don't throw a hysterical bitchfit about them like a large portion of Western gamers do:

>In Japanese terminology, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL), which consist predominantly of narration and have very few interactive elements, and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV), which may incorporate problem-solving and other types of gameplay. This distinction is normally lost outside Japan, where both NVLs and ADVs are commonly referred to as "visual novels" by international fans. Visual novels and ADVs are especially prevalent in Japan, where they made up nearly 70% of the PC game titles released in 2006.

"Adventure game" here refers to the Japanese equivalent of point-and-click adventures. Even in the heyday of LucasArts and Sierra, graphic adventures/point-and-clicks were never as large as a share of the PC game market as their counterparts are in Japan.
>>
>>322776506
>So it's basically a grudge against the people behind the games rather than the games themselves?
No, it's seeing those games as boring generic shit has nothing new and doesn't appeal to any niches but is overhyped by the shills
>>
File: 1391524644388.gif (2MB, 200x293px) Image search: [Google]
1391524644388.gif
2MB, 200x293px
>>322774934
>glasses
>good
>>
File: baby-grinch.jpg (50KB, 500x671px) Image search: [Google]
baby-grinch.jpg
50KB, 500x671px
Western games typically have PC versions. Japanese games typically do not. A single platform makes all the difference.
>>
>>322778549

Japan has a PC market. It's just very, very different from the western market.
>>
>>322778743
In Japan, they're separate from the PC market (you cannot buy console games on PC, for example, and you cannot buy PC games on console). In the west, they're one and the same. IIRC, you can't buy MGR or DS on PC in Japan, but you can buy Fallout 4. Does Fallout 4 exist for consoles in Japan? Western games are most popular on PC in Japan, likely because those are the only games it truly has.
>>
>>322778997

>IIRC, you can't buy MGR or DS on PC in Japan, but you can buy Fallout 4.

Seriously? That's pretty weird.

>Does Fallout 4 exist for consoles in Japan?

It'd explain the Xbone if it didn't.
>>
>>322775975
That's pretty rare. Most people just complain that Telltale games fake most of their choices.
>>
>>322779285
>Seriously? That's pretty weird.

It's a very real thing that many Jap PC gamers have complained about. Nothing has changed, and likely never will change. Those games have PlayStation and Xbox versions, but also consider that you can buy Dragon Quest X for PC or the Wii U. I reckon this is less of a publisher choice and more of a rule imposed by Sony or MS.

If PC was like it is in the west and shared games with consoles, you would see more Jap console/PC multis, and the PC would just be another console. However, the advantages PC has over consoles are nil considering most Japanese PC ports are identical to the console versions; you can't wow them with smoother framerate, or a wider field of view, or sharper resolutions. Strangely, there are some AAA PC exclusives in Japan, namely the Phantasy Star Online games, and those are properly developed PC games.
>>
File: 1437055304186.png (760KB, 600x1069px) Image search: [Google]
1437055304186.png
760KB, 600x1069px
>>
>>322779971

I almost miss Fish. He's an asshole but at least he was entertaining.
>>
>>322778270
Glasses are the best thing in the world. They highlight the eyes, show weakness and allow for a variety of actions otherwise not available.
>>
Because /v/ is reddit central and redditors dont play weeb games and so the majority of threads concern Normie AAA games
>>
>>322773828
Japanese games have waifus while western devs have feminism
>>
>>322780137
>show weakness
I'm gonna fucking rip your balls off
>>
>>322781124
Come at me, friend, but you know a lack of perfect vision is a weakness and one I love.
>>
Why is it only "Japan" and "west" to you people? Japan is one country, and then people act like anything not Japanese is therefor Western.
>>
>>322781435
Outside of Korea and their MMOs, the rest of Asia doesn't make games
>>
>>322781435

Because as far as most people are concerned, that's all there is.

China only makes knockoff versions of western/Jap titles, Korea pretty much only produces MMOs and SF/SC players, everything else between China/Eastern Europe doesn't produce shit for vidya, and Eastern Europe is where most of the world defines the start of Western Civilization.
>>
>>322781627
Yea Asia isn't the only continent either
>>
>>322781854
"West" refers to anything from Europe or North America: Countries that have a Western European influence on them.
>>
>>322782094
if the country is in the eastern hemisphere then how is it west
>>
>>322782207
Because it has a heavy Western European influence.
>>
>>322782207

because back in the day the world was considered to basically end at europe. It was the west and asia was considered the east.

Western civilization mostly refers to places like Rome after all.
>>
>>322782401
That doesn't change where the game comes from. If I make a game in America that looks like generic anime and plays like Final Fantasy it isn't then a Japanese game
>>
>>322781435

Because North America and Japan make the most games. European games tend to suffer the same amount of bullshit has american games, with the exception of eastern european games.

In addition, because japan is so culturally different there is a distinctness between games made in the west and those made in the east.
>>
>>322781230
It's as much as a weakness as having a stuffy nose.
Besides, there's differrent types of conditions that require glasses, not all of them are like those you see in cartoons where the person fumbles around blindly
But of course, an ignorant asshole like you think everyone that needs glasses can only see blur
Fuck you
>>
>>322782401
I definetly understand what you're saying but if I just use Russia as an example and literally every game from there is considered "western" or "western influence" like Metro being called Western by everyone then you're basically saying they have no identity and are only copying western games in every game developed there. The reality is in that case the culture just creates games with similar styles, its still a game made in Russia and not western.
>>
4chan is a website based on chinese cartoons.
>>
They put gameplay first instead of shitty pretentious political bullshit first. They don't rely on cheap gimmicks and when they do rely on gimmicks, they are actually well done and integrated well into the gameplay.
>>
>>322783289
just like the 3ds
>>
File: kmFCk.png (63KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
kmFCk.png
63KB, 500x500px
>>322783289
>visual novel
>gameplay first
>no cheap gimmicks
>integrated well into the gameplay
>>
>>322783093
Russia is special since they are effectively under both Eastern and Western influences depending on what part of Russia you are in due to them being so large.

>>322782720
"Western styled game made in Japan" exists: Resident Evil, Binary Domain and such. The opposite exists too, they are the minority and not the majority.
>>
>>322783058
Fuck you, I wear glasses. I've worn glasses practically all my life and I still love girls who wear glasses as its still a sign of weakness and poor genes.
>>
File: 1451936332552.png (193KB, 488x488px) Image search: [Google]
1451936332552.png
193KB, 488x488px
>>322783484
The gameplay in a VN is mashing the key to advance text and sometimes clicking options if the VN even has them. The only gimmicks a VN can have are branching paths or Live2D integration these days, anything more turns them into visual text adventure games like Phoenix Wright.

Mashing a key to advance text, text skip options, text rewind options, save and load, CG viewers, music players are integrated well into a VN's gameplay.
>>
>>322783639
im not saying none of those exist but that doesn't change where they are created and whether or not its western. Thats why I think its dumb to call something western if its not. The influence is irrelevant to the culture and country that developed it and thats the classification that determines western or eastern.
>>
>>322783997
None of what you've listed in that last sentence are anything close to cheap gimmicks, though.
>>
File: 1451951302730.png (201KB, 405x474px) Image search: [Google]
1451951302730.png
201KB, 405x474px
>>322784407
That's my point, Japan doesn't rely on cheap gimmicks even for simple shit like VNs.
>>
>>322773828
>AAA jdevs
>take years to formulate story/arcs
>AAA wdevs
>"Okay guys we got 6-8 months, make it happen!"
>>
>>322784551
>Japan doesn't rely on cheap gimmicks

Wii and Wii U say otherwise
I don't know if cute girls doing cute things is a gimmick or else I would use that as an example too
>>
File: Stop there.jpg (250KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Stop there.jpg
250KB, 1280x720px
>>322784938
Using sex to sell is older than time, so no, its not a gimmick.
>>
>>322784938
Consoles are different than games, besides Kinect is a bigger cheap gimmick and it was used to sell 360s and Xboners so the west is guilty too.
>>
>>322785162
Wasn't thinking about using sex to sell it.

But things like "All the consoles are now personified as girls" and "All the guns are actually girls and you have to make them cum to turn into guns" would be the gimmicks.
>>
Games like persona are niche titles with small but loyal fanbases who generally know what they're getting into

The last of us is marketed as a flagship sony title for general audiences and the pinnacle of gaming, which it is not
>>
>>322785375
I don't say it excuses the West.

I am saying that the Japanese industry is also a fan of gimmicks.
Especially since mobile games is taking over their market entirely.
>>
File: hourai-4.png (12KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
hourai-4.png
12KB, 256x224px
>>322785481
"Cute girls doing cute things" is using sex to sell it. You also seem to be confusing "setting" and "gimmick" as well.
>>
>>322785760
>You also seem to be confusing "setting" and "gimmick" as well.
I was thinking of it more like the hook they use to sell the game.

This is why I wasn't sure if I should count it as a gimmick to begin with
Otakus and nobody else love those kinds of games though
>>
>>322773828
One is in bed with gaming pubs we're familiar with and the other is not. Chances are if we were Japanese and had mediocre jap games shoved down our throats instead we'd be more welcome to western titles
>>
>>322785939
>Spoiler
And I wouldn't want it any other way.
>>
File: 1449852079554.jpg (17KB, 345x363px) Image search: [Google]
1449852079554.jpg
17KB, 345x363px
>>322785579
Even their mobile games try to do different things with touch screen and phone gimmicks, if they even use them. If there's a cheap gimmick associated with the hardware they have to work with, Japan always works around it or with it better.
>>
>>322785939
>>322785760
>a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
actual definition of gimmick
sex is a cheap gimmick therefore japan relies on cheap gimmicks just as much as the west
>>
>>322776205
>because the dungeon crawling segments in those games are tedious garbage

What are your complaints about the dungeon crawling?
>>
>>322786523
You just called advertising a gimmick.
>>
File: 1448045891095.png (502KB, 826x720px) Image search: [Google]
1448045891095.png
502KB, 826x720px
>>322773828
because the Japanese actually understand how to write a narrative while westerners dont

Danganronpa
>this is a game about kids trapped in a highschool who have to murder eachother to get out
>also you find out eventually that one of them is a transexual

Gone Homo
>this is a game about a lesbian and lesbian things lesbian lesbian lesbians omg lesbians
>>
>>322786615
no that's what they use to advertise
big difference
>>
I T T O P I N I O N B O Y S

can we shut 4chan off now? she's already seen too much.
>>
File: Asuka_62.jpg (95KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
Asuka_62.jpg
95KB, 640x800px
>>322785939
I'm an Otaku for liking Titty Ninjas?
>>
>>322773828
>RaidouXgrim fandango
Why would you do this?
>>
>>322786939
>Low quality mashing gameplay
>Little effort put into story and characters
>Little enemy variety
>Lots of effort put into graphics, life and hometown and customization

It's okay if you like it but it's reliant on a cheap gimmick instead of quality gameplay.
Not that a game couldn't have sex and good gameplay, but Senran doesn't even try.
>>
>>322773828
Because we are all closet weebs with double standards
There I said it
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.