[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just starting this for the very first time. What should I roll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: PoE.jpg (293KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PoE.jpg
293KB, 1920x1200px
Just starting this for the very first time.
What should I roll with besides the typical dick ass swordsman?
Any tips?
>>
>>322746337
Pick a class with melee and magic capabilities like Cipher and then focus solely on combat abilities.

Speech checks are usually attribute or class related and ciphers have a lot of cool shit in conversations.
>>
>>322746502
Cool, thanks for the tip, I was thinking of going with that too
>>
>>322746337
Put a shitton of points into Resolve, it's the main one that gets a ton of extra conversation options. Second is probably Perception.
Skills-wise there are a lot of Lore and Survival checks, and in the wildreness while doing shit like climbing stuff, Athletics is often important.
>>
>>322746767
Any specific way I should allocate my stats?
>>
Play Monk, it's the coolest class.
>>
>>322746970
I have never played this game and have no idea what these classes are like, but I'm going to say Monk too.
>>
>>322746849
The checks actually sounds quite useful, am planning on going for more of a good guy pacifist, with the ability to kill stuff when needed
>>
>>322746970
>>322747030
Don't. Monk is actually pretty bad.
>>
>>322746970
Would go for monk as long as they get fist weapons
>>
>PoE
Power over ethernet?
>>
>>322747071
You're crazy. I beat Path of the Damned with a Monk

>Punching as fast as daggers with the strength of a broadsword
>Stunning motherfuckers
>Punching them so hard they go flying offscreen so you don't have to worry about them and can concentrate on the rest
>Moving at the speed of light to any position you want

Monks are great.
>>
unless they've changed the rules since, you pick a weapon to train to raise your Accuracy pronto. It was good to give you less glances and gave you better crit chance.

the tank needed Hold the Line, too, to raise his engagement by an extra enemy. Lock all those mobs onto the frontman instead of having them peel off.
>>
Cipher. If you want a lot of additional dialogue choices, then go either Aristocrat or Noble for your background and go high INT.
>>
>>322747057
Put points in stealth then because every dungeon is filled with flunkies that you have no real reason to kill.
>>
>>322747139
You get gauntlets later on that make you even more powerful. One of them is Monk exclusive and outright fucks shit up.
>>
Chanter is op if i remember correctly
>>
>>322746337
OP here
Is it worth playing on expert mode?
>>
>>322747343
Tanks in general are rather useless due to ranged enemies being the only real threat and health not replenishing meant putting all damage on one character was a terrible idea.

Game is complete shit though, brace yourself, it also has some of the worst writing since DA:I and for the love of all that's holy, don't talk to the gold-named npc's.
>>
>>322747570
I didn't and wouldn't recommend you to do it. It takes away too much good information. Namely spell AoE
>>
>>322747057
That's a good decision, combat is a lot less rewarding, XP-wise, than is typical. (You don't get kill XP for killing wolves just like that, you complete a bestiary by killing enough of them, which rewards you with a bit of XP. Sort of like the Witcher 2 did it.)

>>322747434
Does stealth ever get useful? I wind up just killing everything anyway.

Also, OP, on the later stages get ready to have your ass Charmed or Dominated by various enemies. I'm on my first run and a lot of enemies do that shit. At least as a Cipher you too get some skills to pull the same shit on them.
>>
>>322747570
Absolutely not. The game doesn't get challenging at all, just remarkably tedious, if it wasn't for the fact that I autistically always go for the hardest difficulty I'd have turned it down right near the start because of how fucking boring it is.
>>
>>322747628
Thanks

>>322747434
Sounds useful since I hear you get no xp from kills
>>
>>322747626
This guy is wrong on every single thing he said except for:

>and for the love of all that's holy, don't talk to the gold-named npc's

He's right on this one. Gold name NPC's are backer NPC's with shitty fanfiction backstories. Ignore or kill them.
>>
>>322747683
>Ass charmed or dominated
Priests get like a level 2 buff spell that delays the effects of all negative status ailments, it lasts long enough that it basically keeps all debuffs off until after combat, where they just vanish anyway, makes everything fucking trivial.
>>
>>322747745
As long as backers don't give me god tier loot
>>
File: best.jpg (13KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
best.jpg
13KB, 210x330px
Best girl.
>>
>>322747745
>He's wrong
>Because I say so :^)
Why even post?

>Writing
>Not awful shit like describing the color of someone's eyes twice in the same sentence, having no consequences whatsoever for major events like killing a local lord, people magically know of crimes you committed with no witnesses and nothing remotely pointing you to the crime,
>You can wipe out the entire main mob family and they somehow know not only who did it, but send assassins after you, but this doesn't stop the last remaining member of the family to come from literally nowhere and have no clue who you are even after you introduce yourself

Just leave, you're basically advocating Twilight as a quality novel by claiming this is anything but bottom rung garbage. The prose is awful, the plot is filled with ridiculous contrivances, outright contradictions and complete and utter moonlogic
>Your awakening could be anything, literally looking at a fireplace is what caused mine
>"OH THAT MEANS IF I FIND THIS ONE DUDE THAT WAS IN THE AREA WHEN MY AWAKENING HAPPENED WILL LEAD ME TO THE CURE!"
>A sentiment so stupid the guy talking to you literally goes back to being insane and attacks you
>>
File: happygandalf.png (497KB, 1174x479px) Image search: [Google]
happygandalf.png
497KB, 1174x479px
>any tips?

Yeah, just play the game blind as intended

OR do what people tell you in a CRPG and follow "tips" and taint your experience like a fucking retard, jesus christ, what is wrong with you people
>>
>>322748309
>Play blind as intended
>Start expert mode
>Casters are literally retards who don't know what area their spells will affect
>You do however, get a number for some reason, with absolutely no sense of scale to actually work with
In general, you'd be right, with this abomination, get tips.
>>
>>322748173
>"OH THAT MEANS IF I FIND THIS ONE DUDE THAT WAS IN THE AREA WHEN MY AWAKENING HAPPENED WILL LEAD ME TO THE CURE!"

To be fair, thats the only tip you have of your condition, so is not exactly crazy
the game railroading your character into wanting to be cured after you know the true nature of you illness is retarded though
>>
>>322746337
why would you play this now

theres a new expac coming in few weeks and then wait four years for gamekill bug to be smash
>>
>>322748440
>That's the only tip
It is entirely and utterly unrelated, if that's a "tip" then the specific subspecies of grass that grew in the area is a "vital clue"

To go on a suicidal and dangerous mission to chase down this random cult leader that triggered your awakening is fucking insane.

Hell compare this shit to MotB and you can actually pick whether you want to embrace or resist your condition, and your journey for control is sensible and well-reasoned, this is just a series of contrived, largely unrelated events that magically stitch together a complete bullshit plot.

So many things are brought up that have no consequences and are completely dropped the next conversation
>You're here because of an amazing offer
Nothing ever comes of this, it's never really brought up again, you can't even fucking confront the dude that supposedly made you the offer, it's just dropped completely at the very start
>You're sick as shit, they had to stop the caravan on your behalf
Oh but it's no problem, go rummage around in the bushes to find yourself a medicinal herb that's just the very thing you need and just so happens to grow right in the area, and also take our only guard with you because our caravan surely doesn't require guarding from those barbarians that I just told you about :^)
>You desperately need water or you'll be dead by tomorrow, we have literally no water here at the caravan so you'll need to get some
Oh but you can throw that water over a statue with absolutely no negative consequences, being sick was just a plot thing, forget about it, we sure did :^)

I've literally never had to endure worse writing, like there's plenty of bad writing in vidya but never have I seen something fail so badly at just about every aspect of writing.
>>
File: portrait_zahua_lg.png (117KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
portrait_zahua_lg.png
117KB, 210x330px
>>322748173
When you get awakened, you see a very weird memory with the exact dude you just saw in some sort of ritual and you start having nightmares about it. Wanting to find that dude seems like an incredibly obvious curiosity one would have in your situation, especially as you progress through the story and find out he's behind the Legacy and dealing in some shady shit

>>322748991
The offer is null and void when you Lord Raederic doesn't want anyone around anymore, and after you kill him he can't do shit, obviously. He isn't in power anymore, the fuck can he do? These are things he tells you if you confront him, which, you can in fact do.

>and also take our only guard with you
What? There were plenty of other guards aside from her.

>Oh but you can throw that water over a statue with absolutely no negative consequences
This is a fair point but really nitpicky. It was cool that you could use the water in that situation.

TL;DR: Go back to RPGCodex
>>
>>322748991
>a medicinal herb that's just the very thing you need and just so happens to grow right in the area
Is suppose to be a common plant, is not that crazy of a concept
Being sick in the first place and never ever mentioned at all even during the tutorial was full retard, same with you companion just dying due to a severa case of "no plot importance pass this point" was fucking retarded too

And lets not talk about how the first vilage being paranoid as fuck, yet they don't give a shit a Death Godlike paladin pops around and goes around doing stuff in the destroyed forbidden temple of the forbidden god.

If the game was exactly the same, but with bethesda logo instead of obsidian, it will be ripped apart
>>
>>322749528
>Incredibly obvious curiosity
>Ignoring the fact that you're risking what little of your life you have left while you're already decrepit from lack of sleep and your assumption that he is related has already been utterly dismissed

>The offter is null and void
Which means your character has no reason to stay, why not leave for countries where they actually encourage animancers so you have at least some hope of getting a cure. Or why not confront Raedric about it immediately since you have no trouble resorting to extreme violence to meet inane goals.

>What? there were plenty of other guards aside from her
Bullshit, and you know it, the entire caravan gets overrun by barbarians and the people that end up fighting them off are someone who is supposedly sick as shit and the guard that they sent with them for no fucking reason, they sent the huntsman dude out to get water, why the fuck not just send him for both the plant and the water, why endanger the caravan on some of the most retarded sentiments and logic you could possibly think of?

>This is a fair point but really nitpicky
It's one of many occurrences when a point raised by the dialogue is completely subverted in either gameplay or subsequent dialogue, hell let's not even mention that overthrowing Raedric, a despot who is tormenting and terrorizing his populace, has literally no consequences whatsoever, they just completely ignore or forget that it happened.

>M-muh codex!
Sounds like someone got laughed out of there and is still salty, why the fuck would you randomly bring this up?
>>
Any tips like telling someone to watch out for missable items or even this tip >>322746849
letting me know that checks actually matter in this game made me actually consider spending towards those attributes. Unlike something like shitty fallout 4 having one check in the entire fucking game
>>
>>322748309

>>322750358
>>
>>322749979
That just bothered me to no end, supposedly the local villagers are all paranoid (justifiably so) but no one bats an eye that you group up with Eder, someone they hate to the point that he wants to skip town for fear of being lynched and Aloth, someone who is literally insane to the point where he can't stop his second personality from picking random fights with peasants.

>It's supposed to be a common plant
Which makes no sense, if it's such a potent cure it'd be picked and sold, and while I'll admit this is me nitpicking it just struck me as contrived, why even go with the whole sickness thing? They had the roadblock on top of that, and it has no consequences or effects, it's literally just a random reason to separate you from the caravan long enough for them to all get killed, it's just such bullshit writing I don't even know how to properly untangle the fucking mess of it.
>>
>>322747726

You do get XP from killing some things i believe, but only up to a certain amount - like until you fill out their bestiary info to the max by killing them a set amount.
>>
>>322746502
>>322747410
I still don't know how the Cipher's abilities recharge.
Is it based on the damage you deal, the number of times you hit, or something else entirely?

Do I have to pick a blunderbuss or dual daggers if I want to cast cool ass force powers all the time, or can I use a greatsword?
>>
I like poe very much and i don't get all thr hate on /v/ when it comes to this game
>>
>>322750358
I completely fucked myself over with attributes because I assumed I'll be able to increase them later. Don't spread your points out, specializing is the only way to go sadly.
>>
>>322750625
Basically semantics, but you get exp for filling out your journal entries on each enemy, and killing enemies fills out your journal entries, this usually means 10 or so kills per enemy are needed to fill out their entries completely, but with most enemies you'll fight dozens of them so combat is largely worthless.

To add to that higher difficulties just have more enemies with higher stats, which does little to make the game more challenging (you typically hold the enemies in a choke and aoe them down anyway) and doesn't change anything about the tactics you employ, it just makes fights take much longer and require you to run back to an inn to sleep much more frequently (you also cannot carry as many camping kits on higher difficulties, because running back to the inn is "difficult")
>>
>>322750810
I last checked before they updated everything a whole bunch, but it used to be the tactic to take a slow gun with massive damage, shoot once and then spend the rest of the fight casting cipher shit.
>>
>>322749979
>If the game was exactly the same, but with bethesda logo instead of obsidian, it will be ripped apart
THIS
>>
>>322749979
>>322751341
>If the game was exactly the same, but with bethesda logo instead of obsidian, it will be ripped apart
So it's a buggy mess?
>>
>>322750996
noted, thanks
>>
the tutorial "sickness" was you had diarrhea from the camp cooking and needed some herbs to not shit your asshole out.

At least that was what I believed it to be.

Your tutorial companions dying because "lol magic" which awakened you instead because "lol reasons" was lazy, and the whole central story of chasing after Boring Man With Nice Beard was full of that. I really would've preferred there to NOT have been a Thaos and that euphoric fedora-tier finale to Thaos' plots.
>>
>>322751515
Oh yes, you don't even know.

Maybe half of them have been fixed, but there were some really game-breaking bugs like double-clicking armor to equip it would literally disable all your feats and such on that character for ALL of your saves.
>>
>>322750810
Cipher with Blunderbuss was OP last time I played since each pellet would restore your magic
>>
>>322751515
>Obisidian game
>Not a buggy mess
Choose one, they are as bad as bethesda in that aspect.
>>
>>322751147
I think on release it was the exact opposite:

This >>322752049 is how I remember it, so I assume that the number of hits counted at that point and not the damage dealt, making ciphers with large weapons unfeasable. If they changed that, it's all the better.
>>
i legitimately read the first 1/3 of this thread thinking it was about path of exile. i was quite impressed reading about dialogue checks and what not. thought to myself they'd expanded the shit out of the game or something. jesus i'm dense sometimes.
>>
File: joshsawyer1.jpg (14KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
joshsawyer1.jpg
14KB, 320x180px
>>322752101
>bethesda engine, not us :v
>>
>>322751980
There was also the save bloat than could make your saves unplayable
>>
>>322752101
Didn't see any bugs in AP.
Weirdly enough, I didn't see any bugs in KotOR II either, and I played it a few months after release.
I know NV was supposedly a disaster on release as well, but when I played it, it seemed near perfect, the worst I saw was a few radscorpions clipping into the ground.

If anything, PoE was buggier than the average Obsidian game.
>>
>>322752385
>PoExile with skill checks
Hope the devs are reading this
>>
>>322752623
bugs arent the same for everyone.
i have no problem with poe whatsoever
ap is just bland outside writings and characters. it is more about annoying design than technical failures
nv ultimate edition crashed on my machine without mod a few time. and i can run it maxout at 60fps even with mods.
>>
>>322752623
Obsidian got the fame of releasing bugged games for a reason, maybe you got lucky or you played the games after years of multiple patches, but that doesn't change much.
People used to defend this in 'the evil publishers' but PoE has show is a internal problem.

And going back to PoE, lets not talk about retarded design choices like not buffs outside of battles or only allowed to place one trap
>>
>>322746337
Pick someone with physical combat abilities. Unless you hire people you only get one tanky character for a long ass time.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.