[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would anyone being willing to get a Warcraft 3 / Starcraft custom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: 463146_2[1].jpg (25KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
463146_2[1].jpg
25KB, 400x300px
Would anyone being willing to get a Warcraft 3 / Starcraft custom maps general going on /vg/?
Miss that shit so much but I think we could get a pretty niche community going if we tried.
>>
bumpin'
>>
I create some custom war3 maps myself, but I can say that it probably won't happen.
>>
>>322738768
>Miss that shit so much but I think we could get a pretty niche community going if we tried.
Already exists

don't need a general
>>
>>322740138
Yeah? Last time I checked the game was pretty ded
>>
>>322740293

I meant as in

there's already a /v/ community

how can you not know there's a link to it in literally every wc3 thread
>>
>>322738768
Blizzard, why not just make a Warcraft 4?

Stop making shit tier fps and mobas.

Also drop World of shitcraft. All I want is a new warcraft with fun custom games to play with my friends.
>>
>tfw Dota 2 custom maps just aren't as good as the WC3 ones

feels bad man
>>
>>322740651

Dota 2 is dogshit for custom maps. Not only is the UI terrible, you also have these xbox hueg maps that take up all your HDD space

Honestly whoever said "Dota 2 will revive custom maps!" is a fucking retard
>>
>>322740629
SC2 was such a disappointment as well.
>>
>>322740651

The scene was not even up for a year, give it a time.
oRPG save function almost complete in few days.
Realm of Chaos is literally an MMORPG in dota 2 custom map with completed different HUD and UI stash support, this is literally imposibe in WC3.
>>
>>322740758
>Not only is the UI terrible,

See >>322740856
>>
>>322740629
>All I want is a new warcraft with fun custom games to play with my friends.

Have you seen the custom map scene of SC2?

It's literally just copy pasty of old custom maps, expect way worse

I remember playing a TD copy pasted from WC3 and it had a hellion named "Treant" and marines were named footmen
>>
>>322740856

>literally impossible in WC3
>hello, I'm a redditor who never actually played WC3
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (190KB, 1344x756px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
190KB, 1344x756px
>>322741026

>implying you can get this hud and stash option in WC3

WC3 used different unit to make multiple stash, dont talk as if you know your shit.
LUA injection cant even saved WC3 from its limitation.
>>
>>322741008
>>322740771
Yeah, I've tried to play custom games on SC2 and it was worse than I thought. Most of them were outdated versions of old Wc3 maps and the rest just felt off. Plus I don't like SC2 that much since there's no hero system and how the game plays in general.
>>
>>322738768
>Warcraft 3 / Starcraft custom maps general
There's already a Dota 2 general on /vg/ SoBayed
>>
>>322741157
you can get completely custom HUDs and different stash storage in WC3 that doesn't involved the standard 6 slot equipment

As far as a completely different HUD? No, but you severely underestimate what WC3 is capable of for a game that's over 10 years old
>>
>>322740629
Stop asking for Warcraft 4.
Blizzard do not understand custom games anymore, they showed that in Starcraft 2.
>>
>>322741227
There is some kind of way to obtain hero functionality in SC2, the only problem is that it's convoluted and hard to edit, just like everything else in the SC2 editor.
>>
>>322740504
link?
>>
>>322741353
Could you explain? I didn't get too involved in SC2 custom maps since they seemed kind of boring compared to Wc3.

Doesn't it also depend on the makers of the maps? Might not be as many who plays SC2 compared to Wc3?
>>
>>322741527
not much motivation either since the change in EULA where all map creations are technically owned by Blizzard.
I mean it's pretty much been like that but now it's official in document form and it really sets a poor tone for people that want to get extremely creative I guess.
All in all I am disappointed SC2 custom maps didn't take off more since I love the custom map genre.
>>
>>322741526
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/warcraft3vidya
>>
>>322741297

Yeah, but the UI stash support was never exist in WC3.
It literally just "click other invisibule unit" to see your other stash.
>>
File: keeper of the swag.jpg (24KB, 172x174px) Image search: [Google]
keeper of the swag.jpg
24KB, 172x174px
>>322741664
Obligatory keeper of games.
>>
Someone fucking host something right now and let's play
>>
>>322741527
Alright mate, let's go over everything that's wrong with the SC2 custom scene.

One of the most prominent issues is that anything made with the SC2 editor automatically becomes Blizzard's intellectual property. Since DOTA slipped between their fingertips, they got really pissy about copyright. That pretty much discourages anyone from getting really creative with the editor.

SC2's editor is one of the most convoluted and inefficient things I've ever messed around with. Doing something as simple as changing a unit's model was a painstaking task.

In addition, WarCraft III had a much wider variety to choose from for artistic assets, including zombies, marines, gnolls, felhounds, etc. More art assets means more room for creativity. You could pretend that the Zerg are like a traditional zombie plague, but it just isn't the same.

Then the lobby system. This is legitimately the worst thing for the custom scene there is. I've seen really popular WarCraft III maps (such as "Who is the killer") uploaded to their shitty lobby, but then no one even knew it existed because only the most popular maps got on the front page.

Why would anyone bother to make anything good when, chances are, their work will go completely unnoticed because of Blizzard's shitty lobby system?
>>
>>322741894
there are games going on in the group right now
>>
>>322741745
what?

No, I'm talking like a full stash UI and custom menus

There was even an old version of a map that was the remake of the D3 beta which had a full Diablo-like inventory system, instead of most maps that just switch to an empty inventory and shit
>>
>>322738768
>Warcraft III/StarCraft custom maps general
>most recent notable war3 maps are ASSFAGGOTS and shit with anime/vidya/weeb characters
>but there is a minority who still plays older but well-polished war3 custom maps without the weebshit
>meanwhile the StarCraft custom map scene is more niche than that of war3 for technical reasons
>>
>>322742135
>Blizzard's intellectual property.

Blizzard's game and tools, blizzard's policy, you can cry all you want about it but that doesn't change the fact that whatever you're making is almost exclusively done with blizzard's stuff. And if you were expecting to make the 'next dota' you're deluded, if you want to make your actual own thing and sell it make your own game

>SC2's editor is one of the most convoluted and inefficient things I've ever messed around with. Doing something as simple as changing a unit's model was a painstaking task.

powerful editor, complex tools, git gud or don't cry when you're too stupid to know how to use them, dedicated map makers will still use it whereas people who back then only dabbled with it and made no real maps or quality maps lose nothing by again, not making anything.

>In addition, WarCraft III had a much wider variety to choose from for artistic assets, including zombies, marines, gnolls, felhounds, etc. More art assets means more room for creativity. You could pretend that the Zerg are like a traditional zombie plague, but it just isn't the same.

And this is blizzard's fault how? Different games, different scopes, different assets, this is a really shitty point senpai and this doesn't stop people from making maps anyways, a lot of maps in w3 used its assets to represent stuff that wasn't really what the model represented

>Then the lobby system. This is legitimately the worst thing for the custom scene there is. I've seen really popular WarCraft III maps (such as "Who is the killer") uploaded to their shitty lobby, but then no one even knew it existed because only the most popular maps got on the front page.

your only good point, the lobby was what killed the custom scene, all your other points are retarded delusion
>>
I loved creating maps and made a ton that weren't good but there was one gem I kept working on and trying to prefect version after version, it was basically an angel arena with the hope of being balanced and it borrowed some elements of mobas but in the end it will never see play and that saddens me.
>>
>>322743026
>Blizzard's game and tools, blizzard's policy,

Of course there is nothing wrong with Blizzard want to shoot yourself in the leg then pour some salt on it, its their own game.
Doesn't mean all the veteran modder will do the same

Meanwhile people getting paid by third party for making free mods in Reborn(Battleships, RoC).
>>
>>322743349
so? go make crazy bucks in reborn then anon, I'm sure your dreams will come true and everything will be smooth and easy
>>
>>322743026
>
Blizzard's game and tools, blizzard's policy, you can cry all you want about it but that doesn't change the fact that whatever you're making is almost exclusively done with blizzard's stuff. And if you were expecting to make the 'next dota' you're deluded, if you want to make your actual own thing and sell it make your own game

I bought their game, it's not as if I got access to their tools for free. It'd also be a dick move on their part if a game became really popular and they just took the concept for themselves and told the guy who made it to fuck off, don't you think? If that's Blizzard's policy, then they can fuck off if they think I'm going to make anything with their tools.

>powerful editor, complex tools, git gud or don't cry when you're too stupid to know how to use them, dedicated map makers will still use it whereas people who back then only dabbled with it and made no real maps or quality maps lose nothing by again, not making anything.

Powerful, yes. That power, however, isn't worth the sheer convolution that the editor has. Have you made any maps with it? It's probably one of the least user friendly things I've ever used.

Part of what made WarCraft III's editor so great was that it was easy to pick up, but could do a ton of stuff once you got really into it. StarCraft II's editor, while it can do more, requires you to do five tasks to do the same thing that only required one task in WC3's editor.

>And this is blizzard's fault how? Different games, different scopes, different assets, this is a really shitty point senpai and this doesn't stop people from making maps anyways, a lot of maps in w3 used its assets to represent stuff that wasn't really what the model represented

It's not Blizzard's fault. It's just a fundamental flaw of StarCraft II as a setting. Not having a wider variety of creative assets is a downside when you're making new stuff, you know.

>all your other points are retarded delusion

That's just plain rude m8.
>>
>>322743534

I don't know why are you so salty about this, but if you are okay with Blizzard way for killing the long 15 years custom map community then there must be something wrong with your way of thinking.

People just don't want doing their hobby for fun in a place where someday the things you have made will be taken because some stupid IP law.
>>
>>322743026
>powerful editor, complex tools, git gud or don't cry when you're too stupid to know how to use them

Warcraft 3 World Editor was my introduction into game design. It was easy to figure out how to do some basic stuff and then slowly go into more complex things like triggered spells. That's part of the reason why the maps were so great, because more and more people could get into it, and maps grew in complexity as their makers learned more.
As someone who spent at least 200 hours inside the World Editor and making a few maps, the Starcraft 2 editor is completely fucking backwards. I spent at least four hours tinkering with it and I couldn't figure out how to change a unit's attack, even using a tutorial. There's no excuse for things to be this convoluted. You need to strike a balance between ease of use and power.
>>
>>322743026
>powerful editor, complex tools, git gud or don't cry when you're too stupid to know how to use them, dedicated map makers will still use it whereas people who back then only dabbled with it and made no real maps or quality maps lose nothing by again, not making anything.

This is what made WC3 custom scene possible. Anyone could make their own dumb ideas into playable maps easily.

These "dedicated map makers" did fuck all in SC2 other than copy old WC3 and SC1 maps, so there's that
>>
File: chibithrall3.jpg (128KB, 545x705px) Image search: [Google]
chibithrall3.jpg
128KB, 545x705px
HotS map editor when?
>>
>>322743707
SC2 editor is no less user friendly than Hammer

if you know what you're doing and aren't just a 13 year old kid having fun you won't have problems with them
>>
>>322744831
never, unless blizz can make money off it without doing any additional work

so, never.
>>
>>322744874

The complexity and different resources of Hammer are the reason why the map numbers are still lacking.
The oRPG save function was not even posible until recently.
But Blizzard problem are way more beyond that, from lack of update support in SC2 world editor and backstabbing their own community.

But hey, who give a shit about the community who makes your game became the most influental modded game in a whole decade, lets just use our team resource to copy another moba/fps/moba lol.
>>
>>322745283
blizzard isn't opposed to working, that would be Valve
>>
>>322745435
Valve has a map editor, and a system that let's you chose what game mode you want to play, and doesn't jew you out of characters
>>
>>322744831
pretty sure HotS is already made in fucking sc2 map editor
>>
>>322746069
the gameplay that is. all the jewing is separated
>>
>>322745432
I didn't almost believe at first that maps with leveling system saved your progress on your computer.

I assumed it would be tied with your account, but nope, it's completely fucking retarded
>>
>>322747116

Source 3 will fix this.
>>
>>322747239
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>322747297
it's called memeposting newfag
>>
File: 1451619039403.gif (2MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1451619039403.gif
2MB, 300x200px
>>322741664
>You are obligated to physically remove the TAB key from your keyboard.
No, they can fuck off.
>>
Most of the bot-maps are fun, but they take a while to fill in. I wish more original maps were still being spread though.
>No more God's land
Sure it was shit if the God was inept, but occassionally you had a good God with some neat ideas to keep everyone entertained.

I still have the sparta game and a couple of the silent hill maps in my save, but I can't host for shit. Even a parasite 2 game (a good one) is hard to find.
>>
>>322741527
>Doesn't it also depend on the makers of the maps?
It does,but different kind of games attract different kinds of map makers.

Sc2 failed because of 2 underlying points, not pleasing map makers and not pleasing people who play maps.

Now some of these things have changed, like chat rooms, but at launch Sc2 had these problems.

Game browsing.
Instead of a person hosting a map, all maps were hosted. So pretty much all maps in existence were all there in one single list.
These games were listed according to popularity, defined as #games played the last hour.
So if the map you were interested in hadn't been played in the last hour it was extremely hard for it to be seen.
You could have hundreds of empty games, listed before the game you were in where 8 players waited for 2 more people.
You had no chat rooms which made it harder to communicate with strangers and new acquaintances.

So no chat rooms, no personal hosting, and all games in a list of popularity made the custom gaming experience inferior in sc2 compared to the one in wc3 and broodwar.

Then for the map makers.
The editor is more powerful, but it was not only harder to learn, but more inconvenient and time consuming to use after you've already learned it. Some people point to no medieval fantasy models, but that's really a non issue. People made plenty of medieval fantasy maps in the broodwar editor and just called Zerglings Goblins and people had fun and you could import models in sc2 like in wc3.

The user agreement changed from protecting blizzards assets in wc3, to protecting blizzards maps(the ones players made) in sc2. Possibly so they wouldn't miss out on another dota2.
There were limits on how many maps you could make, I think measured in mb.
Map limit, hard to use, time consuming to use, change in user agreement turned map makers away.

I found at least 1 fun map in sc2, but due to these issues it was not very practical to play.
>>
>>322740629
>Blizzard, why not just make a Warcraft 4?

Because they don't have any devs who could do that anymore?

Starcraft 2 was made by a mish-mash of people from the deceased RTS studios all over the world to make the penultimate RTS... except they forced them to work on the same shitty game for 8 years straight and as such, the people in teh studio already strive to do anything else to the point they keep calling Heroes of the Storm the game they wanted to make all along (and despite being shit, taking pokes at Activision Blizzard's work in the dialogues and such should give their claims a bit of legitimacy).
>>
File: FOOTY!.png (189KB, 374x368px) Image search: [Google]
FOOTY!.png
189KB, 374x368px
1000 times yes! And bring back my dear Footmen Frenzy so i can spend infinity of hours playing it.
>>
I'd love a general but a. I never owned a battle.net account so I'd be left out, and b. nobody really plays survivals or defense maps that much at all, they were honestly the most fun for me. I'm pretty sure nobody actually passed enfo's FFB edition with two-three players so far, unless the author got cucked the community to lower the difficulty like the guy who made moo moo.

>>322746069
>oRPG save function
It appeared around 2008 iirc.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.