[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Be honest, do you think Bloodborne is too subtle? Would you prefer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 259
Thread images: 19

File: bloodborneart.jpg (328KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborneart.jpg
328KB, 1024x1024px
Be honest, do you think Bloodborne is too subtle? Would you prefer if it was easier to interpret and understand?
>>
>>322717593
Not really. If I don't get something, then I can always find someone else who does to explain it to me.
>>
If you don't get most of what is going on when you play through a second time, and actually read the item descriptions, then I'm not sure what to tell you.
>>
>>322717864
>>322718060

That's not really true though, there are still very many unanswered questions and revelations abound. Nobody really knows for sure what role the Amygdalans play, and it was just today that someone revealed the role of the player character and his/her mysterious note and mysterious invitation to Cainhurst.
>>
>>322718295
>and it was just today that someone revealed the role of the player character and his/her mysterious note and mysterious invitation to Cainhurst.
Got a link to an article or video? That piques my interest
>>
>>322717593
Bloodborne was a lot easier to understand thant Dark Souls
>>
>>322718469
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUqtL-MS76I
>>
The only reason I've ever needed in a souls game to continue was that I haven't reached NG+ yet.
>>
Yeah BB is probably a little too up its own ass.

You always had an idea of what you were supposed to be doing in something like Dark Souls 1 but in BB they pretty much just tell you to go kill some stuff because that's what hunters do.
>>
>>322718601
I don't know how you can say that when people still know so little about Bloodborne a year after release.
>>
The only problem is there's no info on any boss due to the lack of boss souls and boss equipment.
>>
>>322720315
Yea, that's definitely an issue.
It was difficult enough piecing together background on anything with relatively vague items descriptions.
Cutting those out pretty much gives you a puzzle missing waaay more of the pieces than I think is necessary.
>>
Why is Megro's nurse wet?
This is the important question.
>>
>>322717593
No.
>>
I think coming to your own realizations about it is part of its theme: all of Lovecraft's protagonists were educated, learned people who all suffered because of their curiosity. Their newfound knowledge was too much of them to handle. If it were too hamfisted it would lose one its biggest strengths.
Or I could be a huge projecting faggot who knows
>>
>>322720897
Kek
>>
If anything, BB is the most overt of the Souls games. Granted, it's lacking a pure expository character like Frampt, but going harder would be a mistake. This is especially so, considering that one of the core themes of the plot (and eldritch Lovecraftian bullshit in general) is how humans deal with the unknowable and unfathomable. If you explain the elder gods too much, they cease to be unknown, and the characters' extreme reactions to them are less... understandable.

In other words, your "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!" reaction when moving through the Research Hall should be the same as that of the researchers upon discovering the Eldritch Truth.
>>
>>322720315
You get info on the Cleric Beast from the Sword Hunter Badge
You get loads of info on Gascoigne
Info on the BSB comes from its appearance, its setting and the version of it you see earlier in the level.
Vicar Amelia is the same as Gascoigne, you even see her in Old Hunters
etc.

The only bosses that are pretty enigmatic are the Shadows, really.
>>
Games dont have to follow any conventions in storytelling. If you give a shit about the story, then you can read item descriptions and watch youtube videos. If you don't give a shit about the story, you can go kill monsters and skip cutscenes. Its perfect.
>>
>>322718740
Eh, Bloodborne had the guy in the window by the first lamp who's telling you to get to the church to explain the whole paleblood thing that the guy in the cutscene (and a note on the table where you start) was talking about, and mentions both the bridge and the aqueduct as ways to get there if you talk to him multiple times. Once you do make it to the church, there's a cutscene where they start talking about more shit. Not to mention Gehrman giving you hints if you bothered to talk to him. Seemed pretty clear where to go to me
>>
>>322718740
This.
>>
The one question that I have is why the woods had weird snake magic. It was the only area in the game to use it and it's never seen again. Even the Shadows in the nightmare frontier don't use it like they did in the forest
>>
>>322723238
This.
>>
Most of the lore has been cracked tho, the DLC made everything clear
>>
>>322723238
Burger's Worth did it.
>>
>>322722373
Shadows aren't really enigmatic in my mind, their explanation just isn't that deep.

>Labyrinth is under Byrgenwerth
>That's where Pthumeria stuff is
>Including Queen Yharnam
>Shadows of -Yharnam-
>Same reason they're regular enemies in Mensis before you see the queen right before Wet Nurse

They basically just guarding the Queen. As the access to Pthumeria is under Byrgenwerth, they haunt the areas around Byrgenwerth.

/case closed

As for seeing Amelia in the Old Hunters? You mean the White Priest gear spell caster right after Ludwig? You can hear he giving the same prayer, but I don't think there is any indication that that is actually Amelia herself, as opposed to just a high ranking member of the church.
>>
>>322723612
She's praying to Laurence's skull in the base game. You find Laurence's skull under where she's praying in Old Hunters.

Pretty obvious really
>>
>>322723373
>have to buy extra content to make sense of the story

I was waiting for this post so I can mention that Bloodborne is a pretty bad game that happens to be running on true and tested gameplay.

It mostly feels unfinished and rushed, but Sony friends needed something to play.

I haven't finished the game. I don't like how really there is no explanation of anything and it tries to build this ancient lore without actually saying anything.

Like you get dropped off in this world that's basically been sacked with dead bodies everywhere and carriages.

And then orc giant armies, werewolfs, fat ravens, villagers.

It's all very pleasing but the game acts like you know why you're there and everybody automatically knows you're a foreigner and have all access to the world.
>>
Bloodborne's really not that complicated, at least to understand the major story beats. There are some smaller elements that are a little esoteric/lack proper in-game explanation, but then Dark Souls had those too so whatever. For the most part I think it's my favourite story in the Souls franchise, with my only real complaint being that it really doesn't give me much of a reason to give a fuck about most of the NPCs compared to other Souls games.

I think something like Dark Souls 2 is a lot worse, because it just feels like they were winging it with the writing/lore. In DaS and BB I felt like I was uncovering bits of a bigger picture, and it felt like everything fit together. Like, even if something wasn't fully explained, it always felt like there might be an explanation somewhere, even if it was just sitting on some writer's PC and never made it into the game.

With DaS2 I never felt like everything fit together and it seemed like a lot of stuff was thrown in just because. The first time I finished the game I actually had to stop and think "wait, why am I here, and why did I do all the things I just did?" I was so uninvested in the half-assed story that I'd just been doing things for the sake of progressing in the game and not for any contextual reason in-universe.

I don't really play Souls games for the story in the first place though, so it's ultimately a bit of a moot point. The story is just window dressing for me, and I'm not the sort of person who gets into reading up on lore or watching videos about it or whatever.
>>
>>322724395
I dunno, I cared about Eileen and Alfred. They had really interesting stories. Can't say I cared much about the Chapel NPCs though.
>>
>>322724624

Those are actually the two exceptions I would give, along with maybe doll waifu. I really like Eileen, and Alfred is interesting. But that's just a couple of NPCs in the entire game, and the rest are all really unmemorable for me. Whereas I remember/like pretty much every NPC in Demon's/Dark Souls, and even in Dark Souls 2 I can think of four or five that I like.
>>
File: 1433948806503.gif (434KB, 319x240px) Image search: [Google]
1433948806503.gif
434KB, 319x240px
Is it dumb that I'm upset that I fucked up getting the "wait" gesture from Eileen because I rushed into the fight the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst and killed him?
>>
>>322724395
>I think something like Dark Souls 2 is a lot worse, because it just feels like they were winging it with the writing/lore

The lore is all the souls games just feel like they just wing it. None of it is deep or well fleshed out. Specially considering Miyazaki takes his storytelling style from Team Ico while incorporating shit you'd get from Berserk, who both do what he does with lore and story a lot better anyway.

Souls games lore has always been weak to me. Nothing really impressive. That's why I don't play the games for it.
>>
>>322723702
Disagree I suppose. I don't think there is a single other person that is seen alive in the base game AND inside the Hunter's Nightmare.

It also makes sense that literally any high ranking priest would pray to the shrine/skull of the First Vicar, reciting a standard prayer.

It's obvious that it's a high ranking member of the church, perhaps even a Vicar of some era, but with literally no implicit or explicit references I think it's impossible to say that it's Vicar -Amelia-.
>>
>>322725286
Get it in NG+, ya dingus.
>>
>>322725838
I am in NG+. Fucked up doing NPCs in NG.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46KB, 474x312px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46KB, 474x312px
>yeah just go kill a bunch of shit, don't think about it

Honestly Gehrman was a huge missed opportunity as a character. He has like five lines when he could have been the consistent mentor character that you might actually grow attached to by the end of the game where you're given the choice to fight him. As it stands he just fucks off after you talk to him twice, and doesn't tell you anything interesting.
>>
>>322725954
Then get it in NG++, ya dingus.
>>
>>322725997
He doesn't give a shit about you
>>
>>322726069
Which NG are you in?
>>
>>322726153
NG+++, ya dingus.
>>
>>322725728
> I don't think there is a single other person that is seen alive in the base game AND inside the Hunter's Nightmare.

You can literally only go to the HN once Amelia is dead.
>>
>>322717593
It was alright.

The lore hunting is fun.

Who would've thought it's all because of aliens?
>>
>>322718295
Amygdala are great ones that come to answer people's prayers because they're sympathetic in nature. They just watch below in curiosity. They're just the most common great ones who's role is no more than curious brings. Patches worships one of them.
>>
>>322726310
It's not. It's interdimentional beings.
>>
>>322726310
They're not really aliens. I'm not sure whether people get that from. They come from the ocean.
>>
>>322726310
Aliens didn't do shit anon
>>
>>322726429
>>322726451
>>322726474

aliens / interdimensional beings / great ones / ancient ones / cosmic entities

what's the difference?
>>
>>322726451
I think people saw the Celestial Emissary and jumped to conclusions. I don't really blame them, though.
>>
>>322726521
They're not aliens. Aliens did UFOs and Smoke weed.
>>
>>322726549
Celestial / Ebrietas was designed by Miyazaki to troll people to think that he shoehorned aliens in his game.
>>
>>322720897
Lol'd.
>>
>>322723373
What did the dlc make clear? It just added more questions for me
>>
File: 1448934709344.jpg (270KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1448934709344.jpg
270KB, 900x900px
>yfw Maria intimately hugs you as she stabs you through the heart
>>
>>322726639
That is a good move. Those two aren't really subtle with their personal themes so people can jump to conclusion on the GENERAL theme.
>>
I didn't played DaS2 anons, is it the same with Bloodborne and Dark Souls when it comes to lore hunting?
>>
When exactly did Iosaka get kidnapped and a crazy lady take over her clinic?
>>
>>322726521
That's not necessarily a wrong way to look at it. But for me, Eldrich terrors from another dimension and lifeforms from another planet fit into a different category.
>>
>>322718628
I'm not watching this. What the fuck are you talking about. The MC is an outsider with a cost your own origin. He is seeking a paleblood cure
>>
I'm not well versed in Christianity but are 'choir' and 'healing church' real things? I know choir is choir, group of people singing/humming in unison. Is there any figurative meaning behind it?
>>
>>322726895

I think the doppelganger kidnapped the real Iosefka and experimented on her by infusing vileblood.
>>
What contributes to Good Blood? Are they the force of good?
>>
>>322726992
No. Go read the lore more. You seem clueless
>>
>>322727105
True. Be right back.
>>
>>322726992
The Choir is an organization under The Healing Church.

The Healing Church has 3
>The Choir
>The Hunters
>The Scholars
>>
>>322727287
So we're in The Hunters group?
>>
>>322727287
No the Choir are the highest ranking members of the church. Most of them have been there since Bryngnwerth .

They know the most of the truth, that's why they have that very unique Explosion Spell from making contact with the Great ones. Also one of the members was changing people into kin as her desperate resort for experimentation.
>>
>>322726992
Christianity is not in Bloodborne. The religion seems similar at first, but as you learn more, it seems more cult-like, except that it is an organized religion.
>>
So basically the game starts in the middle of the chaos? We didn't even get to start with Bryngnwerth or the fishing village (where the whole cult thing started).
>>
So why do Great Ones accumulate at this island or part of this continent? Do they appear in other places? You can answer it's just to lower the scope of world building, I can accept that.
>>
>>322727547
Is there any explanation why the enemies at Brygenworth have flies as heads and whatever the fuck that blue thing is under the place Willhelm is resting on?
>>
>>322727415
Kind of. If I remember correctly, there's Gherman, who started the hunter's workshop and was the first hunter. Later, the Healing Church started their own group of hunters which was lead by Ludwig. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that there are two groups of hunters, ones associated with the church, and those associated with Gherman
>>
>>322727415
Sort of. At first Hunters were a secretive order to kill people who became beasts from the blood they took. They're the healing church because the mysterious blood the have can cure any disease, but turns people into beasts if given enough. It turns out to be Great One blood btw.

The Hunters used to be a secretive order. Now it's pretty much for anyone to do, were an outsider that came to hunt. It's not so much church exclusive anymore but they do lead the hunts.
>>
>>322726310
>Who would've thought it's all because of aliens?

Literally everyone when From cited Lovecraft as inspiration.
>>
>>322718628
Vince Russo, is that you?
>>
>>322727631
They used to be in that labyrinth a long time ago. The church discovers something and starts making contact and sets up shop in Yharnam.
>>
>>322727547
The game starts either at the penultimate stage of Mensis Ritual or else in a stalemate caused by Rom cockblocking the ritual

>>322727634
Fly heads are called garden of eyes so they were being harvested for eyes. Blue thingy, the mouldy thing on Whilem's back and brainsucker seems to have been from the Chalices.
>>
>>322723159
He's just an idiot trying to compare bloodborne to Dark Souls 1 like usual
>>
>>322727631
The Great Ones can be anywhere but are attracted to Yharnam because the people there have the necessary insight to communicate with them.
>>
Why are the bloods of Great Ones turn people into beasts? Guess it's just their eldritch property?

But they are sympathetic, but then again, sympathetic in their term might be a loose definition on us, human's term.
>>
>>322727631
They're ancient beings from cosmos before humans evolved.

They want to multiply but failed many times, but Yharnam was a successful host. It started there.
>>
So basically Amygdala is watching us masturbate? Better prepare those insights so we can know it's clear to fap.
>>
>>322727921
You get it exactly . Their motives are beyond human comprehension so you need to draw a line somewhere where you say "We will never know why."
>>
>>322724059
Go be an idiot elsewhere
>I haven't finished the game
>why isn't everything just told to me
>game is rushed!
>fucking sony!
>>
>>322727995
They also seem to teleport us to the dreams for some reason. Maybe just pure curiosity they send you to their plane of existence for later use.
>>
>>322728147
In the Hunters Nightmare

You can see an underwater elderich city
>>
>>322727921
Dude, if they're sympathetic then why they're hostile when we approach them? I mean, we Hunters could just try to calm them down and said we're only hunting man-beasts. Or those man-beasts mean the Great Ones have succeeded in communicating with us and don't want us to stir shit up?
>>
>>322728236
They sense the hostility in you

Plus you have insight and can kill them
>>
>>322728229
Oh shit, screencap?

So when does the Blood Moon rises a.k.a Moon Presence appear?
>>
>>322728236
>Dude, if they're sympathetic then why they're hostile when we approach them?
I'm sympathetic towards homeless people. I am not, however, okay with hobos running at me in my house with a gun and cleaver
>>
>>322728236
They're not all hostiles
They all have unique motives and personalities.

Which one are you referring to? I assume Amygdala but they're not all hostiles. They came down to answer peoples prayers because they're sympathetic to them.
>>
>>322726285

But that had nothing to do with her. Thats also not true. The thing that allows you to go to the nightmare is laurence's memory. Withing the nightmare itself is not only an entirely different skull but it is also implied that its a fabrication in the nightmare directly from the memory of laurence.
>>
Who is the bell tolling Witch and what is that mass of rotting flesh she conjured? A Great One? Why does she have magic?
>>
>>322727995
Amygdala are like celestial dreamweavers. They bridge the gaps between dreams.
>>
>>322728331
There's a theory that Mergo was preventing the moon becoming red, so that's why you need to slay him for the moon presence to appear.
Similar to how Rom was stopping the moon from seeing the world as it truly is by blocking the ritual.
>>
>>322728394
Kek. Fine by me

.>>322728437
I see, thanks.

>>322728318
Yeah, with a giant pizza cutter at it.
>>
>>322728331
I don't have one on my phone but look up fishing hamlet video by fungo. He has it in his video

Fishing hamlet is straight up Innsmouth and even has the underwater city too that Kos lived in
>>
>>322728501
The Bell ladies are from the underground labyrinth.
As to what the fuck was that thing they conjured, really no explanation. Only thing I saw was trying to give Oedon a form but that's highly unlikely
>>
>>322728585
Found the vid, thanks.
>>
What I don't understand is what is the waking world? What is a dream, in this game's context? Or it is as literal as it means, meaning we are all in a dream, every single one of the humans in that place. So in the waking world, we don't know what happened to them, some might be dead and the Great Ones can only be in dreams. Was it?
>>
>>322728683
So those ladies are commoners with the power to conjure dead rotting fleshes? Fine then.
>>
Its as subtle as DeS, and DaS2. Just enough dialog to get me going.

But for some this isn't enough, they want DaS1 levels of exposition. I can't stand listening to Frampt perform exposition in front of me without feeling like I want to die because of boredom.
>>
>>322728785
You must delve deeper Leo.

We are going Inception, Lovecraftception.
>>
>>322729118
Yes master.
>>
>>322727439

it's like you don't know what a religion is.
>>
But what did Gherman mean when he said you can even use the doll if you like
>>
>>322728785
Waking world is the physical world. Aka not the hunters dream or the nightmares. Like Yharnam.
Dreams are alternate planes of existence overlapping our own. The Great Ones seems to control them
>>
>>322728876
You need to read more on the Pheteoreums. (Sp?) From the labyrinth. They're related to Queen Yharnam. They're a race from before humans that had a strong connection with the Great ones.
>>
I like it the way it is. I fell in love with bloodborne because it's so much like one of my dreams, where so many things go unsaid.
>>
>>322717593
NO and fuck no

THere's enough shitty narrative driven "games" out there. I love the SOuls games because it's pretty much 100% gameplay and actually playing the game instead of playing a glorified point n click game disguised as a TPS or an ARPG with a "great story"
>>
>>322729373
So by being within that race (the same race as The Pthumerian Queen, Yharnam) that had a special connection with Great Ones, they have that kind of gift? Thank you!
>>
>>322728501

I believe that the great one reborn was a perverted version of Orphan of Kos that was revived from the shadow it left behind in its womb that mensis needed the ritual completed to revive again to "grant them eyes" but Rom was preventing them from spreading the madness.
>>
>>322729734
Something like that yeah. I believe they actually directly worked with the Great Ones, living alongside them.
There is a theory that the Great Ones ascended while the Pheteoreums (sp?) Were left behind. Indicating that the Great Ones were at a different state of existence at the time.
>>
>>322728785
Alternate reality, dreams, planes and shit.

Lovecraftian shits.
>>
Why did Laurence hate Rom so much? Jealousy?

Was Ebrietas grieving over Rom as a being, or grieving over the fact you killed Rom and fucked everything up?

What the fuck is Rom even?
>>
If Rom was preventing things, then why do we go and kill him (or was it her)?
>>
>>322729857
It's not called the great one reborn. It's called the one reborn.

Another theory is that it's an attempt to ascend to Great One status through experimentation. It seems to be made up of several human bodies.
>>
>>322730121
The moon presence wanted you to. You was being used nigga
>>
>>322728585
It doesn't have an underwater city, that's Yharnam. The nightmare is stacked vertically.
>>
>>322730121
No one told you to.

Alfred told you about Burgertown, and how it's connected deeply to Yharnam's blood healing. You figure that it's worth a shot to go see what's going on there. You find Willem, the leader of the college, and he points you towards the lake. You go there and find a passive being, posing absolutely no threat to you.

Then you hit it.

Why did you hit it?
>>
>>322730245
That was Moon Presence crying outside of Mergo's boss fight right?
What happens if you fight it?
>>
>>322730245
Shit nigga, MP played me like a damn fiddle.
>>
>>322730109
I don't think she was grieving over Rom.
Rom is a human female that became empty minded when she ascended to Great One status. She was proof humans could ascend.
She was helped to ascend by Kos. What that means I'm not sure, I think it means that a true Great One needs to die for a human to ascend similar to how the MC needs to kill the Moon Presence.
But that's solely my theory.
>>
>>322730386
No, that's Queen Yharnam.
>>
>>322730350

You find something that you have no reason to believe at that point in the game is anything but a beast.

You are a hunter.

It is a beast.

It's your fucking JOB to hit it.
>>
>>322730450
it's not stated or implied anywhere that rom was once a human female

rom could've just been a regular spider for all we know
>>
>>322730386
That wasnt the Moon Presence that was Yharnam. She's Mergos human mother (but not really human she's the Pheteoreum queen)

She will disappear if you hit her.

She dies a long time ago, only her conscious still remains. She's the final boss of the chalice dungeons
>>
>>322730619
You didn't attack the beggar in the church when he's clearly not quite human.
>>
>>322730407
If you kill MP you become a baby great one. I thinks its Oedon making you his baby. So the alternative to not being used by the MP is being used by Oedon.
>>
>>322730619
>>322730350
Why did you listen to an old man in a rocking chair that can't even speak? why did you jump off a balcony after he pointed to the lake?

>>322730648
The BB wiki states that Mizyaki said that Rom was/is female
>>
>>322726451
What about the MP? That alien comes from the moon.
>>
>>322730732

>Implying I didn't

Motherfucker I killed that stupid cunt without even thinking about it and restarted when I realized he was an NPC.
>>
>>322730756
there's no disputing that rom is female, just that rom was once human
>>
>>322730648
Miyazaki confirmed that it's female and Micolash says Kos ascended Rom to Great One status.
>>
>>322730756
ADVENTURE
>>
>>322730756
Good question lol, Hunters think in a weird fashion too.
>>
>>322730779
>>322730779
You're in a dream/ nightmare at that point you're not even in the waking world.
>>
>>322717593
Not at all, it's the easiest Souls game to understand by leagues.
>>
>>322730934
I'd say Dark Souls is much more simple.
>>
>>322730809
Anything enlightened in Bloodborne was once a human aspiring to be an Old One. The college straight up mentions that Rom is enlightened, so she was definitely human at one point, a counter-thesis to Micolash. She holds the nightmare back, while he is helping to cause it. Micolash even also alludes to it pretty well over the enlightenment and giving us eyes after directly talking of Rom and Kos/Kosm.

There is also a reason why Rom is in the Chalice Dungeons as well. Because that's what they aspire to be from the Depths, where they first found Rom. Similar to how Paarl was transformed into a Darkbeast by Archibald based on his love of the Loran Darkbeast, same reason Tonitrus and Tiny Tonitrust was made, to copy Loran DB's lightning effects.
>>
>>322730286
I meant as a reference and a symbolism where Kos came from.

Kos is a great one from Under the water.

She came to shore and the hunters killed her

But she was pregnant
>>
>>322728785

I always guessed that the waking headstones take you into the echo of reality where the tortured and twisted minds of Yharnams dead citizens still live coalesced into a "dream" a plain of existence that exists almost like an after life. In this way people either denied the calamity that they lived through (residents that wont leave their homes) or actively accept and reject their plight but are cowards (visible NPCs) and those who are aggressively seeking answers (hunters) whether it be to why they died or like the pro-tag and his/her illness is bothering them. Thats why in the dream people can fight great monsters, which end up being reflections of our own inner desires, faults, fears, and every other human trait (ala psychological monsters from silent hill 2), unlike 'normal' people that would stand no chance like is implied in some early descriptions. In this existence Elder Gods and Great Ones have some clout and use that influence on those they take pity on (the dead but feeble minded humans) and work towards various ends of showing the great truth of the mystery of the universe to us lowly humans who are mired in our own insecurities and obsessions that we cant even be bothered to see how great our limitations can be. Thats why the endings vary so much We can choose to reject moving on since we were only near death and awaken in that completely empty but clearly devastated Yharnam IN REAL LIFE, hold onto the dream without accepting the gift of the Great One and Elder beings (which are probably like mass consciousnesses that could reach out to us from the vastness of the cosmos), or ascend to something greater than ourselves by accepting whole heartedly the universal truth from the void of existence.

but really who the fuck knows
>>
>>322717593
What's subtle about it?

Leaving unanswered isn't subtlety, that's lack of answers.
>>
>>322729268

he meant drill a hole
>>
>>322730286
The Cosmos and the Sea are the same thing.
>>
>>322728025
>implying I have time to play
>people shouldn't tell stories, just make up your own with what little content there is
>yes game is rushed, sub 30fps game play on "next gen" hardware
>Sony published, implying they didn't rush it for their share holders
C'mon you Fromdrone, get a grip.
>>
>>322729268
He has a fetish for dolls

He made the doll in Marias image after she passed away and he had a thing for her

It's been 80 so years in the dream and he's probably done with the doll. So hey, you want to take a wack at it?
>>
>>322731493
There's indication that two Hunter npcs in the game have been in the Hunter dreams previously and have woken up and no longer dream. Showing that Yharnam is real life.
You lose access to the dream by waking up as your purpose was fullfilled. Or you can deny it, kill Gerhman, and take his place which seems to be a bad ending unless you were trying to relieve Gehrman. Final one you become a great one, indicating that there is another Great One besides the Moon Presence who's influence you are under.
>>
Does anyone have an infograph or a video on the timeline of the series of events happening in Bloodborne? From the Fishing Hamlet raid to Kos being so relevant, to Ebreitas and all. Just everything.
>>
>>322731452
I thought Kos washed up dead? Couldn't it be possible that she crashed into the ocean and actually came from above?
>>
>>322731707
I wrote a reply and I said fuck it.
You're just retarded
>>
>>322730153

>great one reborn

>one reborn

what a huge difference you dill pickled dingus
>>
>>322730153
It's actually implied in my sense of it is that the one reborn is all the people within the nightmare being brought forth into the waking world at once.

It was trying to take on a single form
>>
>>322732027
That actually makes much more sense.

>>322731937
Such a significant word couldn't have been left out by accident.
>>
>>322731868
Also requesting this. I have a hard time keeping track of everything going on in that game
>>
To those truly interested in the lore this is a great summation.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1JL5acskAT_2t062HILImBkV8eXAwaqOj611mSjK-vZ8/mobilebasic

Although some of it is wrong. Or totally up to interpretation. I downright disagrees with some of it it's still fairly accurate. Although the DLC really flipped some of it upside down. Such as the part where he confuses Kos with Cosmos, because at the time we didn't know Kos was its own great one.
>>
The biggest mystery of all is... why do those fat crows bark?
I know you see them with dog heads in the nightmare but that doesn't explain why they bark.
>>
>>322732246
Kek. I don't know about this one.

>>322732230
Thanks! If the thing you said is true, then the writer should update that Google Docs of his.
>>
>>322731839

It's like you didn't read the post with the second half of your comment. He already referenced the endings. Besides Djura and Eileen Imply they no longer visit the hunters dream which is a direct incarnation of the Moon Presences Influence. It was created by sacrificing Gherman when he and Laurence accidentally contacted it and asked for its help. And no duh you're under the influence of other great ones for gods sake you inject yourself with Odeon every time you heal
>>
>>322731907

sure she washed up dead but she had been alive and well in a cave nearby where she was discovered and worshipped before she started trying to get pregnant by a human and stop Odeon
>>
No, I think it's refreshing for a game to have such a huge focus on gameplay that the story is incidental.

Besides which, Souls games excel at atmosphere. It's definitely to their strength to keep the story all around you, but not right in front of you.
>>
>>322732475
He said he might but hasn't bothered yet.
>>
>>322732804
someone fugged kos?
>>
>>322732112

fine since semantics are so important to you

>Reborn

implies that its not someone ascended or else every god damn kin like kos would have this attached

>the one

literally something/one special enough to deserver the scholars of mensiss attention for their concentrated efforts to revive it who could that be in your linguist opionion
>>
>>322732804
Where was this stated?
>>
>>322731868
The Old Hunters (Kos/Orphan)->Pthumerians (Labyrinth Worship/Depths)->Brygenwerth (Willem/Laurence/Rom)->Queen Yharnam is found (Testing/Rom the Vacuous Spider)->Laurence/Gerhman leave Willem to his experiments->Laurence establishes Healing Church->Laurence and the Healing Church find Ebrietas in one of the Labryinths/Depths->Ebriest leads them to a dead Great One (likely Oedon)->Healing Church uses it's blood for experiments->Grand Cathedral is built to house the dead Great One and Ebrietas->Yharnam built around Grand Cathedral->Mergo is born and ultimately died leading to the Nightmare by Oedon->His blood consumption begins turning the citizens into Beasts->Gehrman comes into contact with Moon Presence and begins the Hunt->New Yharnam is built->Healing Church splits into two (black for fighting, white for healing)->Gehrman eventually dies and the Moon Presence gifts him with the Hunter's Dream to continue his studies into ending the Nightmare (side effect of other Hunter's Dreaming too)->Rom is used as a way to halt the progress of the Nightmare->You/Player Character eventually comes along and does everything up to Rom->Nightmare Spreads->Fight with Micolash to stop his ritual of using the Nightmare and spreading Oedon's blood (using Mergo's Wet Nurse as a catalyst)->Moon Presence has defeated Oedon (two opposing Old Ones)->Ending (Gehrman has been training Hunters to deal with the Moon Presence after all this time (as a replacement for him to channel the Moon Presence's will)->One Third Ending (see the truth)->It can't take control of you due to all the blood within you and you transcending humanity above all those that wanted eyes or to become Great Ones->Humanity begins elevated passed Great Ones->Old Blood god is slowly eradicated by you and your transcended humans

Best I can do, still some issues with Gehrman's First Hunt and Hunters existing during The Old Hunters DLC. Unless MP was found first, & Geh trained hunters to fight against the Hamlet.
>>
>>322732804
Couldn't it be that she was impregnated by a Pthumerian? The Orphan is tall and white/greyish like the Pthumerians, the only difference is that it had "angel-like" wings because Gods and shit.
Couldn't it be that Burgertown wanted to recreate Orphan by doing those experiments, so that they can find a way to evolve humans towards angels-like beings?
>>
Objective complete: killed Mergo and her wet nurse.
New objective : return to the hunters dream and interact with Gehrman to finish the hunt
Optional: find the three umbilical cord
Optional: confront Gehrman

This is what people want.

What they also want: cliche movie dialogue where the great ones explain they're evil sinister plot to you to wrap things up for you even though they have no reason to
>>
>>322733160
Pretty sure Pthumerians are like several thousands years/ centuries before the whole Kos dlc. Like they are ancient, pre-human. I also don't think Queen Yharnam was found.
>>
>>322717593
>video game lets you interpret things however you want
>people demand there be a definitive answer given to them

This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>322733076
>>322733147

Well to be fair I heard this from another anon in a pretty good in depth lore deciphering thread a while back but we can infer from the difficulty the great ones have multiplying and how they need humans to impregnate like Odeon did with the Pthumarions That Kos a great one didn't end up pregnant with Orpan all on her own or with another great one and elder horror or not you don't end up pregnant after you die!
>>
>>322733160
Mergo was stillborn . she died when Queen Yharnam gave birth to her. She exists in the dream though. So instead of saying he was born say Micolash made contact with him.
Also Oedon isn't defeated by Mon presence what makes you think that
>>
>>322719094
you can chart out almost the entire timeline of what happens in bloodborne. if anything i thought they explained TOO MUCH of the great ones.
>>
>>322733484
Well I meant the Pthumerians were found, less so than they existed, same with Queen Yharnam, being the Pthumerian Queen she was found in the depths after becoming pregnant.

Old Hunters really throws a wrench into a ton of Bloodborne's Lord/Timeline due to Yharnam and the Hunters seemingly existing during Kos, unless we're to either assume Moon Presence was found first by Gehrman, or Kos has been dead for a long time there, which wouldn't make much sense given the fact that the Hunters are what killed Kos and you walk in on the Orphan breaking his way out of the womb.
>>
>>322733653
Great ones can't breed with each other they are too unique. Kos orphan is probably also a halfbreed as it bleeds kin blood
>>
File: 1451629069827.png (1MB, 687x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1451629069827.png
1MB, 687x1000px
>>322731907
I think her body is too aquatic in form to not be originally from the sea. She's all squidy and fishy and stuff, not something she could make any real use of outside of the sea.
This is entirely my opinion of course, but her body seems built for life in the water rather than in the sky or on land.
>>
>>322726451
They're interdimensional beings. Pretty different from the ocean.
>>
>>322733936
The sea and the cosmos are one. It fits the Lovecraft theme
>>
>>322733761
Yeah, that'd be a better way to go about Mergo then. I always personally saw the Moon Presence and Oedon as rivals if you will, oppositions to each other. With the Nightmare Halted, Oedon's Nightmare can seemingly no longer spread, only his blood and the beasts can spread, with Moon Presence having a control over Gehrman and the Hunters, they have full control over the events of Yharnam now that everyone seemingly major is dead, in that Moon Presence basically defeats Oedon if you will.
>>
>>322734038
Where does it state that the sea and cosmos are one.

The sea holds back the cosmos, if anything. They're very different.
>>
>>322733891
Well she could exist in Space, I mean we do get Space Whales in a lot of fiction. I agree it makes the most sense being from the sea, but I could see her being from Space/Cosmos as well, as opposed to land/sky.

The sea and the cosmos being the same also fits a lot of Old God/Lovecraft stuff too.
>>
>>322733267

Its possible but strange that she would have remained pregnant not only for the centuries of time between Pthumerian's decline and the rise of men but also for the couple hundred years of byrgenwerth discovering the ruins, excavating them, & studying Odeon's dead child to then hear about Her off hand in the fishing village having had the child then. What seems more likely to me is that She had to do what Odeon had to do which was find a suitable inheritor of a bloodline because Odeon only succeeds with the descendants of the Pthumerians hence Arianna who was related to cainherst who were related to the Pthumerians.
>>
>>322733882

ok! glad we agree
>>
>>322733295
>Objective complete: killed Mergo and her wet nurse.
New objective : return to the hunters dream and interact with Gehrman to finish the hunt
Optional: find the three umbilical cord
Optional: confront Gehrman

that wouldn't explain anything
>>
File: bloodborne by Ubisoft.jpg (106KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne by Ubisoft.jpg
106KB, 1024x576px
>>322733295
>>
File: 1417368142505.gif (975KB, 290x231px) Image search: [Google]
1417368142505.gif
975KB, 290x231px
>>322734190
Well you've got a point there.
>>
File: 156165.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
156165.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>322734549
>>
>>322734615
Especially when you think a lot of the stuff in Bloodborne deals with vertical stuff, so whose to say up isn't down, with the sea being space, or space being the sea. Like how you walk through the clock tower in the Old Hunters and end up in the fishing hamlet.

Shits weird in insane Old God land.
>>
>>322734886
I thought it wasn't as bad as DS2
>>
>>322734549
Kek
>>
>>322717593
>Be honest, do you think Bloodborne is too subtle?

Probably yes. DS is easier to follow. Frampt and Kaate literally explain everything to you.
>>
>starts as a werewolf infested town
>ends with ayy lmaos

I kinda wish they just stuck with the gothic style and did mythological creatures instead of eldrich stuff
>>
>>322717593
The narrative was better in some ways in that you kind of understand the significance of characters you meet, and it isn't just a random knight with a side story.

But things revolving Gehrman weren't done so well, they should have made him spout his dialogue more often so that finding him as a semi final boss isn't just out of nowhere.

The hunters in post Rom Yarghul should have had some lore related dialogue too as they attack you.
>>
>>322718628
I don't know why he went on about all that time stuff. Brador is an old man in the Nightmare sure, but that's a different plane of reality from the normal world. He could have died at any time in the real world, as an old man or young man, but might have continued to exist in the Nightmare.
>>
>>322728229
That's Yharnam.
>>
WE NEED MORE WAIFU MARIA
>>
>>322734549
I sent this to a friend of mine a while ago and he didn't get the joke or see anything wrong with the image.
He's even played Dark Souls up to Blighttown.
>>
File: fon343.png (2MB, 1280x1600px) Image search: [Google]
fon343.png
2MB, 1280x1600px
>>322739609
A corpse should be left alone
>>
>>322717593
>Would you prefer if it was easier to interpret and understand?
this is the souls series we are talking about, if the thing is cryptic for no reason it doesnt belong.
>>
>>322740093
>this is the souls series we are talking about
it isn't
>>
>>322733814
No you can't, anyone who says they can are lying or working with bad information. Everybody who's big on interpreting the lore agrees the timeline is weird and makes basically no sense, the latest theory from the guy who wrote The Paleblood Hunt is about how Yharnam doesn't have a comprehensible timeline because it's basically a nightmare city of the damned.
>>
>>322727439
>The religion seems similar at first, but as you learn more, it seems more cult-like, except that it is an organized religion.
>it seems more cult-like, except that it is an organized religion.

So,like any religion ever?
>>
File: theatheismhunter.jpg (42KB, 491x481px) Image search: [Google]
theatheismhunter.jpg
42KB, 491x481px
>>322741643
>>
>>322717593
Because you actually have to pay attention to the surroundings, weapons, enemies and the item description, they tell the story.

You can see loads of bodies just before the Oedon Chapel, which means that those people were on their way to seek shelter where the creepy guys tell you to save people.

You can see the areas where statues go from holding their hand up, to being covered, you have to wonder why is that.

You can see Gehrmans book which are titled "How to pick up fair maidens" which means he is a beta-spaghetti falling faggot who uses the doll to practice his pick up lines.

The answer to your question is that Bloodborne's story and lore is really easy to understand. You just need to be curious and question everything. But since this is inspired by Lovecraft, knowledge is dangerous
>>
>>322742423
Okay, what's the story of the Amygdalans? What are their roles in Yharnam, why does one have the Loran chalice, what are they?
>>
>>322717593
>Be honest, do you think Bloodborne is too subtle? Would you prefer if it was easier to interpret and understand?
What you mean is if i prefer if Bloodborne wasnt written on a knee in a shitter on a coffee brake in one afternoon?
I sure fucking do.

Im really tired of those lazy half assed incoherent game plots with half assed environmental expositions being called good. This is why i cant take this fandom seriously, same level of retards as Half Life 2 fans, another game written by someone after a stroke and Zelda time line retards.
>>
No, it's good as it is

unraveling the mystery is part of the charm, and having no explanation to a few things is good, it's a dream world after all

I'd have either removed/changed how dungeons work
>>
>>322745737
Demon's Souls had mysteries but the essential elements were basically understood. With Bloodborne most people have no clue what's going on.
>>
>>322718295
I think Amygdalas are just some really big fauna of the nightmare. Just to those who on a lower plane, trying to reach the Gods they seem worthy of praise.
>>
Is it Kos or Kosm?
>>
>>322746508
Kos you fucking heretic
>>
>>322746508
Some say Kos, some say Kosm
>>
>>322718601
Yeah, no.
>>
>>322742423
The Oedon chapel dweller only has good intentions.
>>
>>322717593
Knowing literally nothing about Bloodbourne, I want to fug the girl on the left.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Does she have a penis? Is she really a hideous monster?
>>
>>322748979
Thats actually just a doll, but the doll is made to resemble another character that is in the dlc so you will probably wanna fug the actual thing
>>
>>322749223
Does the actual thing have a penis and/or turn into a hideous monster?
>>
>>322749463
No, she just has some fucking cool attacks, exploding blood yo
>>
>>322749774
And paheal doesn't disappoint. Cheers, dude.
>>
since this is a bloodborne thread
I recently got Bloodborne; When I write notes in my notebook, is there a limit to the ones that show up for other people? I can protect some of them so they stay on the list, but if I make more than the 10 or so that are on the list, do the others disappear forever? or do they still exist?
>>
I thought Dark Souls lore was boring as fuck and I could never understand the people who got way into it but I like Bloodborne lore. The only thing that annoys me about it are all the people who think vermin exist and are the cause of the beast scourge and the people who think paleblood is anemic blood (lol) or great one/kin blood or something.
>>
>>322727921
My interpretation from some of the item descriptions (Beast roar particularly) is that beasthood is just something latent within humanity and the power of the blood not only cures what ails you, but brings that out as well so the "plague" is just power that humans can't handle as lesser creatures.
>>
>>322728229
That's just the dream Yharnam that's in the first area of the DLC. That's why a shell girl from the village drops out of nowhere in the blood river.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 191x427px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 191x427px
>>322722326

>it's lacking a pure expository character

So you never spoke to Alfred?
>>
>>322753767
I get the concept of what you're saying but i find it odd they choose for werewolves as beasts that live inside every human. Shouldn't it be some kind of ape or monkey monster instead since we evolve from them?
>>
>>322754663
Think of the origin of the Werewolf myth. You'll have your answer then.
>>
>>322717593
The story in Souls games is so irrelevant that I don't even care about them
>>
The enjoyment doesn't come from completely understanding it.

I mean you don't play videogames for the story.
Maybe if it were a book I would be pissed off but even then that depends on how well it was presented.
>>
File: 1412481378143.jpg (7KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1412481378143.jpg
7KB, 184x184px
I STILL HAVEN'T PLAYED THE DLC
IS THE ORIGIN OF THE BEAST SCOURGE EVER EXPLAINED?
This bothers me.
>>
Do we know the origins of the Winter Lanterns and the Brain of Mensis, the Living String states that Mensis "recieved" the brain from the nightmare, but I haven't noticed any details on HOW it got to Mensis.
>>
Are there any good lore rich/full playthroughs of Bloodborne, I finished my playthrough today and I want to watch something that shows what I missed and tells me about the lore in depth as I can watch.
>>
>>322746508
DLC confirmed it was Kos.
Kosm-fags BTFO
>>
was maria pregnant of a great one?
>>
File: bloodborne doubts.jpg (324KB, 1731x461px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne doubts.jpg
324KB, 1731x461px
>>322717593
Yeah I do, the game is way more vague than the other.

In DeS and DaS you get pretty much everything you need to know explained to you right off the bat.

Now when it comes to Bloodborne, you have major core stuff not being explained AT ALL.

Pic related, I saved this so I didn't have to keep reposting the same post everytime.
>>
>>322721439
That's all correct. Basically Lovecraft is fairly nihilist in the actual sense of the word. In that the universe will always present stuff that will change our idea of "truth" or said stuff is stuff we cannot simply grasp. Thus going mad.

It's epistemological nihilist horror.
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 579x350px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 579x350px
So did Gehrman get Kos pregnant or...?
>>
>>322733295

Or maybe they just want an explanation of the core like we got in DeS and DaS and you don't have to drool your pseudo-intellectual ass by going to the extreme opposite end like you're doing now?

Yeah, shocking, I know.
>>
>>322759528
It is explained without the DLC.
>>
File: 2014-09-25-201838_1.jpg (38KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-25-201838_1.jpg
38KB, 960x544px
>people were hyping up Mergo's Wet Nurse as a super hard boss when I was looking up how to get the true ending
>get pretty hype when I'm about to fight her
>mfw it was literally the easiest boss fight in the game
>>
Would you marry a doll ?
>>
>>322762273
You have the core. Church healing blood turns people into beasts go kill them youre Hunter
>>
So did Gehrman impregnate Kos?
>>
>>322765304
>Kos
It's Kosm you retard
>>
>>322765418

Micolash pls go.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (150KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
150KB, 1920x1080px
>>322765418
stop that
>>
I want more games like BB's online co-op system. It's fun as fuck.
>>
>>322765481
>>322765586
>tfw only two eyes
>>
>>322765590
So play Dark Souls
>>
>>322765727
>>
>>322765896
You can co-op in Dark souls games??
>>
>>322766076
>>322766076
No shit.
>>
>>322766076
Yes, it works the same way.
>>
>>322763105
Some people tend to panic when she summons her stand. Same people who panic at Rom, I'd wager.
>>
File: 3543543535343.jpg (72KB, 706x1024px) Image search: [Google]
3543543535343.jpg
72KB, 706x1024px
>>322726834
Not a problem since she had already stolen my heart.
*Tips Old Hunters Top hat then equips another hat because fuck that 30 defense*
>>
>>322731707
>>implying I have time to play
obviously you have nothing BUT fucking time if you are posting on /v/
>>
>>322717593

Bloodborne is easy mode compared to trying to figure out what the fuck is going on in the other souls games.

If anything, I'm a bit sad because the story is pretty much finished isn't it? It's all pretty much done now and there won't be a Bloodborne 2.
>>
>>322768094
>there won't be a Bloodborne 2.

I'm okay with this. I like a game that is good and stays good without any other sequels to ruin it.
>>
>>322762247

Gehrman is the adopted child of the Moon Presence.

All great ones are fated to lose their children and seek a surrogate child. This means adopting humans for the most part. The orphan and Gehrman probably aren't directly related, but just linked through that
>>
File: 1451868653622.png (576KB, 1200x788px) Image search: [Google]
1451868653622.png
576KB, 1200x788px
>>322717593
>not wanting a meticulous, obscure, eldritch narrative to chew on for months at a time
Thread posts: 259
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.