[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
So why the heck -wouldn't- I join the...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: fo4.jpg (56 KB, 640x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
fo4.jpg
56 KB, 640x360
So why the heck -wouldn't- I join the Institute?

Pros:
-They actually make it look like it's 2278. The majority of wastelanders seem to have had their brains melted by radiation to the point they can't even figure out how to make a small wooden hut that doesn't look like it's about to fall over. Even the brotherhood can't actually invent shit, only patch together pre-collapse tech.
-Mah son
-Most powerful faction

Cons:
-Waah they do science
-Waah robots shouldn't be slaves

P.S. Spoiler alert
>>
File: 340.jpg (23 KB, 340x334) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
340.jpg
23 KB, 340x334
Well I joined them cause the Synths amuse me plus long term goals.
Plus unlike Father wishes a lot of the scientists themselves have doubts which can be played in your own favour.

That and I wanted to gun down more things and BoS Vertibirds are always fun to shoot down.
Also break power armour on corpses they sell for the same amount broken as they do repaired.
>>
>>322601354
Why are you even playing this shitty game is a better question.
>>
>>322601354
Institute
>Double-ruin a large part of Boston for no appreciable gain so we can spoiler ruin Xenoblade Chronicles X for everyone.

Synths
>Destroy the institute to free the synths and pretty much guarantee there won't be any new ones, and if there are they'll be shitheads not made properly with like a 99% "go insane and shoot people" ratio.

Minutemen
>Let's unite the commonwealth, thank god our command structure is two dangerously idealistic and naive idiots holding a power-armour convention in a dilapidated fort. This won't go exactly the same way as the first time at all.

BoS
>YES. YES! WE SAVED EVERYONE FROM TECHNOLOGY! PLEASE DO NOT THANK US FOR SAVING YOU THE HORRORS OF A WARM BATH OR PLUGS, WE'LL TAKE IT AS A GIVEN YOU'RE COOL WITH US KEEPING THIS SHIT FOR OURSELVES. JUST DON'T INVENT ANYTHING USEFUL OR WE'LL BE BAAAAAAAAAACK.
>[Vertibird piloting skills intensify]

Can't I just join the gunners or something? At least they're not pretending they have a reason for what they're doing. I don't think they even know. I don't think Fallout 4's writers even bothered to think of a reason.
>>
>>322601354
Why would you still make threads about that game is the real question here
>>
What happened
>>
>>322603509
You origami all over the town you sluy
>>
>>322603509
You picked up the wiiu version by mistake.
>>
>>322603509
Beautiful settlement decorating there bro
>>
>>322602901
You're expecting Bethesda to
A) Actually give a shit about factions
B) Actually give a shit about writing in general
C) Actually give a shit about treating the Fallout universe with some decency

And the worst part is that they fucked over Obsidian, so we're never going to get another good Fallout.

>tfw FUCKING Caesar's Legion is more reasonable to join than any Fallout 4 faction
>>
You're supposed to get to know different synths, throughout your gameplay, that actually behave like humans and feel emotions like love and shit, but are treated as machines by the Institute.

You also get to know people willing to help and do everything as they can to do good to the Commonwealth, and have lived these lives for hundreds of years...

If you nuke everything you would be like "fuck Piper, Nick, and all those synths who just wanted to be free, we are the only hope for ourselves"

The problem is the game does a poor job at it and you don't get to feel any "emotion" toward those characters... you're supposed to "imagine the feels"? what the fuck Bethesda, I'm doing your job
>>
>>322604212
>but are treated as machines by the Institute.

Mostly because they are machines though.


>The problem is the game does a poor job at it and you don't get to feel any "emotion" toward those characters

Honestly though, did you expect any emotion or bonding with characters after losing a family you barely knew in the first 3 minutes of the game?
>>
>>322604013
>And the worst part is that they fucked over Obsidian

Will you obsidrones shut the fuck up about this already? They willingly agreed to that stupid stipulation on their bonus. If you want to blame anyone, blame them for being so fucking stupid.

>so we're never going to get another good Fallout.

We haven't had one since 2.
>>
>>322604340
>Mostly because they are machines though.

Here is the moral aspect that Bethesda wanted to put in the game... you actually know synths that talk about feeling emotions and caring a lot about humans... there are stories about synths even killing themselves to save other synths, in a very human-like way... when you have synths talking about love and that it would be horrible that all their friends would get killed, and then you have the Institute, a group of humans who don't give a fuck about killing whatever they have to kill in order to ensure their "clean and rad-free life" then you start wondering who is the real robot.
>>
>>322604705
>They willingly agreed to that stupid stipulation on their bonus.

The alternative would likely have been not making the game.. Also the lack of NV merchandise was dissapointing to some, and cause for speculation about Beth fucking over Obsidion on that as well. Bethesda doesn't seem to really want us to remember NV.

>>322604724
>then you start wondering who is the real robot.

Nope.. The robots are the robots. You speak of sacrifice as if they have some kind of soul or life to sacrifice, but they do not. They're just machines, that can be repaired, turned off and turned on. Giving machines rights akin to humans is retarded, especially if they are more or less immortal.
>>
>>322605147
Do you really think people like the Institute, who are willing to do anything in order to achieve their goal, in a very selfish way, act more as a human and do humanity more good than a robot who developed feels like love and fear and is saving human lives?

You have robots acting like humans and humans acting as robots... who does more damage to the human race?
>>
>>322605531
>Will you obsidrones shut the fuck up about this already? T

The guys who go with feelings over logic, just like in real life.
>>
Why not just go factionless?

side with railroad to destroy institute and brotherhood.

then wipe out the railroad.

never meet preston.

you are now the only super power in the commonwealth
>>
>>322605573
That was not the question.
You have synths acting more logical than emotional, and vice-versa, just like in real life.
Synths are not a menace for humans, as they depict them. The Institute is. They want to kill everything that is not like them. Even other humans, who are doing their best to re-build the society.
>>
>>322601354
Who the fuck care. It's just a fucking video game that will get a canon in the sequel no matter how much endings. Not like joining them give anything more than cosmetic.
>>
>>322605531
>Do you really think people like the Institute, who are willing to do anything in order to achieve their goal, in a very selfish way, act more as a human and do humanity more good

Doing whatever it takes to accomplish goals is pretty much what humans do m8.

>than a robot who developed feels like love and fear and is saving human lives?

Still just a machine though. Replacable. You could just make more.. Copy it's brain, repair it, rebuild it.. Make backups. It isn't human, period. Why treat it like anything other than a fancy PC? Especially bearing in mind that sentient computers are hardly a new thing, and they've proven in the past that they're not necessarily and unconditionally loving and compassionate.
>>
>>322606753
>Especially bearing in mind that sentient computers are hardly a new thing

*in the FO universe, obviously
>>
>>322606173
Well gents it seems we have synth in our midst
>>
>>322606753
>yfw you're revealed to be a synth after saying that
>>
>>322606753
>Doing whatever it takes to accomplish goals is pretty much what humans do m8.

No, it's not. Having no remorse from your actions' effect on others is called being a sociopath.

>Still just a machine though. Replacable. You could just make more.. Copy it's brain, repair it, rebuild it.

The very first thing you find when you enter the Institute is a synth copy of your son, so humans can be pretty much copied as well.
These machines can feel pain and emotions, so it's not like they don't know suffering. There's no need to treat them as ordinary PC's.
>>
>>322603509
They briefly hired an indie dev to do some of the foliage.
>>
At what point do I have to worry about shit being cut off from me because of one faction alliance or another?
Also can I play factionless?
>>
>>322607856
You'll reach a point where a prompt will show up saying something like "if you do this, you'll piss off [faction] and will not be able to do quests for them anymore. Proceed? y/n"
>>
>>322608015
Ok thanks. Now this may seem an odd question but due to Bethesda writing does "no" mean "not yet but can come back later after doing other stuff" or does it mean "no I side with the other faction"?
>>
>>322608015
>>322607856

Yeah, but at that point, if you go to the other faction they say something like "we found out that you were working with this other faction... this needs to stop, do this to prove you're loyal to us"

So now you have to choose who you side with...

the best thing is to not get past the 15th quest from each faction until you decide which one to side with. Just bare in mind some factions are compatible.

Minutemen are the only neutral, they can side up with everyone.
>>
>>322607461
>No, it's not. Having no remorse from your actions' effect on others is called being a sociopath.

On an individual level, perhaps.. But in the long run/big pictures humans tend not to have any problems sacrificing a few thousand or millions of their own kind.. Especially if they hold the wrong ideology.

>so humans can be pretty much copied as well.

No, because that synth is not a human, it's a machine.

>These machines can feel pain and emotions, so it's not like they don't know suffering.

But they are machines. If they dislike suffering so much, they can just go into hibernate.

>There's no need to treat them as ordinary PC's.

There's also no need to treat them as humans when they're clearly not. Did you also have this much compassion for President Henry Eden in FO3? Or with random Vault supercomputers that are also sentient?

The only thing that puts Synths apart from most Fallout universe AI is that they walk around and look humanoid. If they had looked like Yes-Man literally nobody would consider giving them rights...
>>
>>322608487
>On an individual level, perhaps.. But in the long run/big pictures humans tend not to have any problems sacrificing a few thousand or millions of their own kind.. Especially if they hold the wrong ideology.

And this is something repudiable.

>No, because that synth is not a human, it's a machine.

And what is the problem with it being a machine, exactly?

>But they are machines. If they dislike suffering so much, they can just go into hibernate.

That doesn't make any sense... that's like saying "if you don't like pain, you can just put yourself into a coma"... wait a minute, this is a common practice, actually.

>There's also no need to treat them as humans when they're clearly not. Did you also have this much compassion for President Henry Eden in FO3? Or with random Vault supercomputers that are also sentient?

That is much different, Hendry Eden didn't feel any emotions whatsoever.

>The only thing that puts Synths apart from most Fallout universe AI is that they walk around and look humanoid. If they had looked like Yes-Man literally nobody would consider giving them rights...

No, that's not the only thing. Most AI is programmed to have certain emulated responses in order to look human. Class 3 Synths, actually developed learning about human emotions, and can actually feel real pain and disgust. They're much more complex, and can be programmed to have free will, which would make them take desitions based on their own experiences, learnings, and feelings (which were also developed based on their own livings).

If you read different game archives, you'll find that there are synths that don't even want to accept they are, and even dislike them.
>>
>>322609121
>And this is something repudiable.
>Human nature is repudiable

No wonder you love machines so much.

>And what is the problem with it being a machine, exactly?

Nothing. But machines don't need or deserve human rights...

>That doesn't make any sense... that's like saying "if you don't like pain, you can just put yourself into a coma"... wait a minute, this is a common practice, actually.

Comas are not really a feature in humans.. I mean, they are in a way. But if you're going comatose that tends to be an indication that something is horribly wrong.

>That is much different, Hendry Eden didn't feel any emotions whatsoever.

He was one proud motherfucker.. Just because he didn't want to cuddle and hug and love the entire wasteland does not mean he lacked emotions..

>They're much more complex, and can be programmed to have free will

The age old dillemma: Can anything that's created by something intelligent really have free will? How free is one's will if it's been programmed.

Fuck giving rights to artificial things, really.
>>
They're literally evil

The Legion is more beneficial to actual civilization than they are
>>
>>322609426
>Machines don't need or deserve human rights...

Probably not, but they don't deserve to be treated as regular machines either.

>He was one proud motherfucker.. Just because he didn't want to cuddle and hug and love the entire wasteland does not mean he lacked emotions..

Nah, he was programmed to have different emotional states based on different USA presidents' personalities

>The age old dillemma: Can anything that's created by something intelligent really have free will? How free is one's will if it's been programmed.

Aren't we all programmed in some sort of way since we are born? Synths can act based on what they learn and copy. Much like humans do. Again, a lot of synths really believe they're humans because they compare themselves and it leads them to that conclusion.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
Thread DB ID: 364599



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.