[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they murder Starcraft II ? Does anyone actually pla

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: Starcraft2-logo.jpg (74KB, 1417x742px) Image search: [Google]
Starcraft2-logo.jpg
74KB, 1417x742px
Why did they murder Starcraft II ?

Does anyone actually play this besides the competitive players?
I have to tell you the truth, the game is practically invisible. I heard nothing about the Zerg and Protoss expansions when they were released, and I never played them.

Am I right and this game is seemingly dead? Why is it so dead? How did they manage to cock it up so bad? Besides the Battle.net arcade walled garden which totally shitted me.

Anyway I just wanted to mourn for what could have been.
>>
Of course nobody else plays it.
If you build a game to be competitive from ground up, it won't be a very fun game to play casually, even against other casuals.
>>
File: 1432259490310.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1432259490310.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>322466653
>tfw nobody cares about story lore or characters
>tfw people only care about shitty multiplayer
>tfw wings of liberty campaign was actually really good
>TFW starcraft 2 general is literally shit posting general
>>
>>322466786
How do competitive players feel about the balance?
I do remember there being a considerable amount of fiddling and micromanagement of units, as opposed to macro management.
I found the preponderance of "hybrid" or special-ability units to be annoying.

I really think they should have just started with an almost exact clone of Brood War. It was so finely tuned.
>>
the single player campaign is great, wings of liberty anyway
zerg campaign is boring and easy as fuck while protoss is defend/attack the giant glowing crystal x20, the story gets really stupid too
>>
>>322466904
The campaign (for WoL at least) was pretty superb. Quite finely tuned I thought. I wonder why they made it such an e-sports thing when they put so much effort into the campaign.
>>
>>322466904
>tfw wings of liberty campaign was actually really good

haha

>>322466653
Blizzard dropped the ball when MOBA's were becoming popular, pro players saw the minuscule tournament pots and switched over to LoL / Dota, the casual audience followed with them.

The fact that they lost Dota to Valve probably hurt them the most, as far as the esports scene is concerned anyway.
>>
>Does anyone actually play this besides the competitive players?

The campaigns have been consistently lots of fun. All I've needed/wanted.

Didn't care about ladder as a kid and don't care about it now.

Custom games are just the same shit each time they release a campaign. now it's just a bunch of TDs and DOTA wanabes.

I'm fine with what they did. gr8 campaign (albeit dumb plot) just like the WCs and SC.
>>
>>322466653

I just finished the protoss campaign and replaying terrans. I'm having a real blast. too bad the zerg campaign is shit
>>
Anyone here remember Helms Deep and Heavens Last D and a bunch of other custom maps, these were fun as fuck
>>
>>322467206
>no reasoning behind his implication
Worse than smug anime reaction images, opinion discarded/10
>>
>>322467402

oh, yeah, I'm also gonna buy the nova missions
>>
File: 1364905283442.jpg (16KB, 394x297px) Image search: [Google]
1364905283442.jpg
16KB, 394x297px
>finished LoV today
>mfw the ending

It's a shame, since the game is actually very good. But it just doesn't have the spark which made me play SC1 for years,
>>
File: laughinggirls.jpg (44KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
laughinggirls.jpg
44KB, 446x400px
>>322466653
>they thought people would play an RTS
>>
>>322466786
Well dota and lol succeeded. Starcraft style RTS is designed for tentacles and Koreans.
>>
>>322466653
They focused on gameplay and fucked the story. As far i know /v/ likes this retarded approach.
>>322466904
>WotL
>good
go play other 2 you fucking hipster. WotL was fucking awful storywise, missions were fun, LotV missions are also fun. HotS is shit.
>>
>>322468472

wol has more mission variety than lotv, though. I mean, it's more visible in wol that every mission has it's gimmick, most missions in lotv are "destroy X several times". story is better, that I'll give you, at least the protoss campaign alone. also, tal'darim are fucking dark elves, I swear
>>
>>322467007
too early to tell. Meta is too young.
First several weeks post release people argued who's more broken Zerg or Toss, after some time people settled on Zerg, but then Zerg players got wrecked in several tournaments and Toss became fan favourites for another year.
Terrans are strange right now, they suck dicks, but can do a lot at the same time. Needles to say foreigners need not apply.

If you're playing on ladder, don't sweat over balance.
>>
>>322466653

I'm 30 and just played it to get closure on a game I started playing roughly 15 years ago.

Felt good man; good enough ending for me.

Hell, it was 'bout time.
>>
>>322469016

I'm 27 and I feel similar but kerrigan's "I don't care about the great cycle" is pretty half-assed IMO. cool, amon's rekt, no more xel'naga, kerrigan is probably the only one left, which makes her supreme god of the whole universe, but how ending the cycle would benefit anybody? it's what amon wanted after all
>>
>>322469280

Look nigger, Jim and Sarah finally got their happy ending.

Don't ask questions, just enjoy it.
>>
>>322469803

NO
>>
>>322469836

THEN FOREVER BE UNSATISFIED.

There is no God and mankind was a fluke.

Deal with it, faggot.
>>
>>322470121

what if god was a fluke and there is no mankind?
>>
>>322470121
There are gods, they are called the Xel'Naga, and they are not shaped like flukes. They look like giant squids.
>>
>>322470515

Who created the Xel'Naga?

Did God create itself?

Is it like time, it always was/is/will be?

If I replace every part of my car, is it still the same car?
>>
>>322470515

but there is only one left and she is shaped like an orange chick with burning hair and wings
>>
>>322466653
I'll tell you a little secret. Contrary to popular belief you actually need a good story to make a good RTS. You need a story where you can care about the factions and the people in them and see things from "their" angle. It's the reason starcraft 1 and warcraft 3 became really popular while others didn't. Not because battlenet was amazing, or the multiplayer was perfectly balanced. It was because people played the campaigns first and wanted more. They wanted to continue playing those awesome factions that fell in love with.

StarCraft 2 fails in this respect. I couldn't give a shit about Raynor and Kerrigan or any of this love conquers all bullshit. People wanted hard scifi out of starcraft with interesting races and motivations. Instead they got a romantic comedy in space.
>>
>>322466653
Because Blizzard hasn't had a competent employee in over a decade.
>>
>>322469803
>Sarah becomes Space Jesusa, gets happy ending too
That's the problem. She didn't pay for her crimes.

At first, it looks like she's just mindcontrolled, but she killed the Overmind and all the Cerebrates, making that mindcontrol irrelevant. From that point on, everything that she did as all her. She truly WAS the queen bitch of the universe (aka space feminist).

Then they do this mindcontrol by Amon, making it look like she's not at fault again. To retcon the story so she wouldn't deserve death for all that she's done. Because women can't be help responsible for their actions.

That's the real story of SC2 - it's always the Patriarchy's fault (Arcturus, Overmind, Amon).
>>
>>322471615

Eh, she didn't pay for them but she did her best to make up for what she did.

Life and the universe aren't fair, deal with it.

It ended up bretty gud for everybody overall.
>>
>>322471615
Trying so hard to be the victim arentcha
Not everything is about feminism
>>
>>322466653
>Am I right and this game is seemingly dead?
Well obviously if you the OP never heard anyone talk bout this game, then it must be dead. Disregard the current 20,000+ matches happening on battle.net right now, those don't mean anything since you never hear anything about it.
>>
>>322466786
That's not entirely true. I'm playing this with my friends on second to fastest setting and it's quite fun, even though - or maybe because - we're terrible at it.
>>
>>322466653
Single player:

The only interesting thing in the entire starcraft story was the Overmind and the idea of having a seemingly immortal giant brain controlling trilliards of Lovecraftian monsters all over the universe in order to become the absolute mind of everything.
They killed him in the first game and instead of replacing him with a new Overmind they made that whore of Kerrigan.

Multi player:

David Kim.
>>
>>322466904
>nobody cares about story lore or characters

Because they were total shit. WoL campaign had great gameplay and HotS didn't even have that.
>>
/v/ being casual as always
Lotv is much better than previous expansions. Nobody cares about the story. Can't wait to watch nation wars today. Poland vs Korea is gonna be hype
>>
>>322466904
>wings of liberty campaign was actually really good

Only in comparison to the other two. It's still the same old sloppy joe Blizzard puts out just like how the Chosen One is Bioware's trademark.

Both companies work on a fucking flow chart and can't write original shit to save their lives anymore.
>>
It's weird how few people play the game, considering it's free for custom games.
>>
>>322475398
Custom games were cool when StarEdit and War3Edit was the hottest modding tool around the block.

SC2edit is nowhere near the scale of say Skyrim's CK and everything else out nowadays.

There's just magnitudes more games now. You don't need a bunch of half-assed ones when you can find what you are looking for relatively easier online. The fun of custom games was that it felt home-made and made you go "ohhh that's a clever use of mechanics" and seeing your beloved game take a strange turn.

No one likes SC2 enough to get that kinda feeling from custom maps, let alone have the people working on it to create good shit.

Why don't you look up how many custom campaigns SC1/BW/W3/TFT had then compare it to WOL/HOTS/LOTV. Incomparable.

BW literally had one nip guy fucking total the whole damn thing and turned Terran and Protoss into Gundam shit. This was back like in 2002 or some shit, do you know what an achievement that is?

Who the fuck would be impressed by something like that now?
>>
The only thing I ended up enjoying from SC2 was the campaign missions even if they were increasingly rehashed as the game went along. The story ended at Brood war as far as I'm concerned
>>
File: Selendis face closeup.png (676KB, 1112x668px) Image search: [Google]
Selendis face closeup.png
676KB, 1112x668px
I thought that the Protoss campaign was pretty decent in itself. Plus, the protoss chicks were super qt.
>>
>>322466653
Only care for the campaigns, don't give a shit about the MP.

The zerg one sucked, but the protoss one is marginally better. Customizing the Spear of Adun's powers is great, though, I love that kind of thing so much.
>>
>>322467110
>>322466904
>WoL
>Good

No it wasn't. It was some weird wanna-be Shepherd On Normandy-Adventure with a bunch of one-dimensional characters and bad/mediocre story

Tycchus was cool though.
>>
File: 1449814475264.png (830KB, 689x689px) Image search: [Google]
1449814475264.png
830KB, 689x689px
>>322467206
>The fact that they lost Dota to Valve probably hurt them the most
lol, no. What hurt them the most was icefrog came to them and asked for them to make dota an official game and they turned him down, saying they wernt interested in the mod or the mod scene currently.

They had dota asking them to be part of their company, and they said Nope! we have WoW.
>>
>people unironically think that SC2 campaigns aren't pure shit
And this is how you know they never played Starcraft.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.