[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question that I've always wondered: Back in 1997,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg (45KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg
45KB, 256x255px
Serious question that I've always wondered:

Back in 1997, were people confused about how the series jumped from III to VII? How did it go down? Did Square do interviews with magazines to disclose information on how II was IV, III was VI, and at that point we hadn't seen any of the other games?

Anyone who wasn't oblivious to this stuff(I was like 8 at the time, couldn't give a shit about this crap) know anything about this?
>>
we were little anon jr's at the time, we didn't care
>>
>>322412808

well yeah, that's why I was wondering if some older folks could chime in
>>
All the gaming magazines wrote about the issue with the numbering system, so if you followed everything you knew what was up.

It did make us wonder what the real 2, 3 and 5 were like.
>>
Yeah we had AOL so we knew about everything happening in Japan about like now.
>>
If you weren't already aware of the numerical order from playing fan translations of the missing entries then you're a casual.
>>
I didn't even know about the previous FF games at the time, and my older bro referred to tactics for ps1 as 6 so I just assumed they were all already out.
>>
>>322412636
all i knew was that the game was getting great reviews and all my friends were playing it. I didnt understand that FF's werent connected until i bought 8 and didnt see any of the same characters.
>>
>>322412636
I was 9 when this was released.
The Official Playstation Magazine actually explained the whole series in one of their monthly issues including plots and the localisation changes, was very informative and i felt smart as fuck telling everyone at school how the series came about.
>>
>>322412907
There really wasn't much confusion, most people had never heard of Final Fantasy and so didn't care. Those who had were already largely aware of the fact that 3 was really 6, and that 5 hadn't been released in the US thanks to the still new NES/SNES emulation at the time.

There was also a pair of collected versions shipped for the PSX that had the older games with their proper numbers.
>>
i had never heard of final fantasy before so didnt really care. FF games on SNES were super fucking obscure and niche, FF7 was the opposite: massive ad campaign, AAA title. For a long time the two main franchises were EA sports and Final Fantasy but ONLY after VII
>>
>>322413702
There were TV ads for Final Fantasy 3/6, but it didn't have the marketing blitz that 7 got possibly simply because taking the FMV and putting it on TV was way cheaper than producing original content for the ad.
>>
>>322413092
This

By the time VII came out people who were into the franchise knew about the numbering shenanigans from magazines and even early internet forums etc. and also were pissed that we only had half of the Final Fantasys over here.
>>
>>322412636
No. Because we actually learned to read back then and understood it right away.
>>
File: The-Final-Fantasy-Legend-3[1].jpg (57KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
The-Final-Fantasy-Legend-3[1].jpg
57KB, 640x640px
the other 3 were gameboy games, duh
>>
>>322412636

As someone who is 31 and remembers this:

We knew that we didn't get all the Final Fantasy games over here. I learned about it from a magazine, other people had internet and could discuss it. I was the first kid to have internet access in my school (dial-up muthafugga) and was largely unaware of internet forums, as I mostly used it for hentai and playing multiplayer.

>>322413702

This is wrong, FFVI was hugely advertised and was hellishly expensive at the time. I still remember the moogle advertisements in magazines. I don't remember FFIV advertisements, though, I was too young.
>>
>>322412636

Nobody gave a shit about Final Fantasy before VII so it was fine.
>>
I always assumed there were Japanese only releases that we never saw.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.