[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Awful bosses in otherwise great games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

File: moonlight_butterfly.jpg (81KB, 1040x780px) Image search: [Google]
moonlight_butterfly.jpg
81KB, 1040x780px
ITT: Awful bosses in otherwise great games
>>
greatbow
>>
>>322306778
>otherwise great games
you forgot bed of chaos
>>
>Gwyn
>Bed of Chaos
>Pinwheel
>Giant Rat
>Seath encounter 1
>3x Fat Ass Demon
>>
>>322307962
pinwheel is fine really. hes tricky for some builds and easy for others. if you hold off on doing him until after anor lando then obv he is going to be easy. but my first playthrough which was blind i got to him before sens fortress with only a +5 scimitar and the battle was fucking intense.
>>
>>322306778
Well good luck in Crystal Cavern where they are common enemy.
>>
>>322308339
This is not a "hard bosses" thread, it's an "awful bosses" thread.
>>
>>322308491
Yeah, I know.

Good luck.

If you find them awful, it's going to be five more times awful.
>>
>>322307962
>Gwyn
Not really sure why you think that one. I didn't think he was terrible, but maybe I don't know the reasons people find him bad.

>Bed of Chaos
Given.

>Pinwheel
Another given.

>Giant Rat
Just stand in the doorway and cheese it

>Seath 1
This was kind of a bummer and took me like 3 times to realize I wasn't supposed to fight him there

>3x Fat Ass Demon
At least they were kind of cool in their own ways
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
The platforming here is HORSESHIT

How he managed to make an even more annoyingly fiddly boss than Ballos I don't know.
>>
>>322306778
>>
>>322308739
Gwyn is bad because he's just absurdly aggressive and does high damage to boot. Miyazaki himself said he was disappointed they didn't get to design his encounter properly.

And the problem with Pinwheel isn't the boss itself. It's a problem with Dark Souls' pacing. If you go to the catacombs first thing it's a better fight than Taurus Demon for sure, but doing so just leads to a dead end.
The reason the catacombs are so hard is not even to help balance the power of the Rite of Kindling. It's literally just steer newcomers away towards Undead Burg.
>>
>>322309214
isn't that one of yathzee's games?
they're all made in AGS
>>
>>322308491
Did they make the butterflies more aggressive in later patches? Back when I used to play not a single one of them attacked me in the caves.
>>
Anything that has 2 bosses at once (gargoyles, fatass and slim)
>>
>>322310014
No he's just an idiot that triggered them somehow.
>>
*Magic missiles*
>>
>>322309808
You're wrong. That one was made in Game Maker, as has been everything he's made since.
>>
>>322309808
That's Poacher. He made it and Consuming Shadow in gamemaker.
>>
>>322308739
Gwyn is
a)a pushover for any build that can tank him for more than five seconds,
b)a pushover for anyone who can parry reliably,
c)a relentless land-burning asshole in constant attack-move mode so everyone not being a poise tank or a skilled parryfag is just stuck dodging until he does that one single jump move that leaves him vulnerable for a moment. And if you make a few mistakes and ant to sip, too bad, you'll never get enough of a breather to complete the animation before he catches up.

Basically, he's like a retarded twink player who cheated himself endgame gear but never actually learned to play, so he just comes at you mindlessly swinging his sword until either you or he die.
>>
>>322309738
I'm going to put myself in Miyazaki's perspective and say he was disappointed with Gwyn in its context. As the final boss, it should be the resolution, leaving the player more satisfied than my girlfriend. So therefore it should be the best fight right behind the climax. Considering the boss fight isn't actually that bad, it only disappoints in that scope. Doesn't mean it's a bad encounter overall. Though it could've been better, I wouldn't rank it among Chaos and a fucking butterfly.

(I liked Pinwheel's design but it should've been more of a challenge, given the difficulty of the area it's in.)
>>
>>322310828
10/10 netflix summary of Gwyn.
>>
>>322310143

O&S I think is an example of two bosses at the same time done right. They both have very different habits and move at different speeds, so if you know what you are doing, its easy to keep them consistently separated. If you attack just because you start to get impatient, you'll be punished, though.

Multiple of the same enemy is where it gets dumb (where I think double sanctuary guardian may be the hardest boss in the game to take on as pure melee), since there is no reliable to keep them separated since they'll usually be at roughly the same place at any given point.
>>
>>322310954
He wanted Gwyn to be like that. The best fight in the game with AI that behaved differently for every kind of playstyle you had. If you were a sorcerer he'd be an entirely different fight than if you were a melee build, for example.

They couldn't get that to work though, so to make it challenging they just made him very fast and strong.
>>
Why are so many so butthurt about the butterfly. It's less annoying to fight than some regular enemies, you defeat it by midrolling sideways a few times, and you only need to defeat one of them once, and only if you want to make divine weapons/make that weird spear. I mean what the fuck do they do, go in there naked with 9 vitality and stand in the beam?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (59KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59KB, 1360x768px
>>
Huh, just noticed how much the Moonlight Butterfly looks like Gwyndolin, with the radiant halo and the tendrils.
>>
>>322311423
Yea, I agree its not great. But I wouldn't say its awful.

>>322311460
I don't know why you're associating difficulty with good design.
>>
>>322306778
I suck at souls but I beat it first time with melee only, just use the wall as cover till it Flys to you
>>
File: dark souls channeller.jpg (190KB, 794x782px) Image search: [Google]
dark souls channeller.jpg
190KB, 794x782px
>>322306778
Get the fuck outta here, the Moonlight Butterfly was beautiful. It was a nice breather boss.
>>
>>322311485
>Meat boy
>great
>>
File: Fable 2.jpg (61KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Fable 2.jpg
61KB, 960x540px
>>
>>322310143
Gargoyles are easy, because at that point you can two-hand a +3 weapon and kill one before the other even spawns. O&S I'll give you, because they are exceedingly tiresome to solo and have the single most fucking annoying path from bonfire to fog gate in the entire game, but if you summon help besting them becomes a miserably, hollow victory. I sunbroed in Rodeo on several characters, and more often than not both me and the host would make it AND we'd manage to keep Solaire alive for free candy.
>>
>>322311883
No one said it was a hard boss.
>>
>>322312104
There's a stairs shortcut that allows you to get from bonfire to OnS fog gate in like 10 seconds did you even know that?
>>
>>322311774
I am not. But killing the magic bug is such a non-effort that the drama round it confuses me. It's like bitching about the two shield hollows blocking off the burg merchant.
>>
>>322306778
ganon
http://youtu.be/MqLKJ808J4o
>>
>>322306778
I remember this boss being exceptionally easy. Then again, I quit playing the game outright because of the Tomb of the Giants, so I have no room to talk. Even with light spells it's just too fucking dark.
>>
>>322312282
Does it do away with the two giga-niggers in the main hall so I can check for the summoning signs in peace? Because the sprinting stairs hop only avoids two silver knights and couple seconds of running.
>>
>>322312384
I don't think anyone is that butthurt about it. We're just focused on the specific topic of lackluster boss fights.
>>
>>322310718
holy fuq rom has been my bane in every run of bb until recently
>>
>>322312754
You can ignore them, walk up to the fog gate or even just stand on the stairs in front of gate then save quit and come back to game and they won't be aggroed, you can do the same thing with any other enemy
>>
>>322312975
Literally "magic missiles: the boss"
>>
File: IG-88.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IG-88.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
>>322306778
Scared me as a kid, I could probably take him now, probably
>>
>>322312984
...Wish I knew that a few years ago.

>>322312795
I suppose I ascribe more emotional color to the use of 'awful' instead of 'bad' than I should.

But really, Bed of Chaos is awful and nothing is as awful as that, so you can't really call a slow, easy optional fight against a butterfly awful and not sound like you just spent the whole night repeatedly dying to it.
>>
>>322312609
I mean, he said awful bosses not easy ones. An easy boss can be awful by design, like Dragon God, Giant Lord, or Hemwick Witches. Souls is pretty notorious for this.
>>
File: SkolasBWU2.jpg (173KB, 1400x590px) Image search: [Google]
SkolasBWU2.jpg
173KB, 1400x590px
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-02-01-31-17.png (262KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-02-01-31-17.png
262KB, 1440x2560px
>>322313710
Clover fucked up. Pic related to your post.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.