[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix open world games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Open World.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Open World.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
How do we fix open world games?
>>
>>322271262
Remove map and markers
>>
Give relevance to the fact that it's open world and don't just do it because every single triple A game happens to be one. Don't just give us a redundant hub that's nothing more than a backdrop for all the story missions.
>>
>>322271262
They can't be fixed. Kill them off.
>>
Remove collectibles and add actually fun stuff to the map.
>>
It's an unpurposeful design unless the game is built around heavy emergence, simulation or other such designs. For example, a game like UnReal World obviously needs to be "open world" but a game like The Witcher 3 shouldn't have been open world in the first place because its content is designed exactly as though it was a hub-based game.
>>
Don't make it generic
Don't make it boring and plain
>>
Put stuff in it maybe
>>
>>322271262
Good level design at the start so you don't have to suffer through a completely boring week long tutorial.

And this. >>322271839

I recommend random events or things that only happen under certain conditions so that even if you go past an area a lot, its often different.
>>
Oh boy I can't wait for MGS5, the open world looks cool
>Empty ass world

Okay how about Fallout 4
>Empty ass world

Xenoblade X?
>PRETTY empty ass world

They're all beyond saving
>>
>>322271427
I'd love to see a game attempt this.
>>
Xenoblade X restored my faith in the genre, even though I've hated every other open world game every made.

My biggest gripe is that, when I just want to do missions, I don't want to slog through point A to B, I just want to get to the mission, and Xenoblade X has done the best I've seen of letting you skip the environment if you so choose. It has great loading times so you aren't sitting there for 5 minutes only to realize you accidentally fast traveled somewhere else and have to sit through another loading screen. There are fast travel spots fucking everywhere so you don't have to do miles of trekking every time. Your character moves fast, so even if something is kind of far away, you just run to it instead of having some character that moves like an 80 year old smoker with a tiny stamina bar. Skells are fast and convenient for skipping the environment, if this were any other game you would have to go through 7 menus to summons skells, and there would be a summoning animation, and they wouldn't fast travel with you, and it would never let you fast travel while in a skell.

And also the world itself is beautiful and fun to explore. Too bad the missions themselves are borin as fuck
>>
>>322271262
Make events actually happen in the world and make your decisions affect said events

Make different biomes / cities / areas with meaningful gameplay differences between them

Don't make the map large for no other reason than to make it large, the map should be big enough to accommodate your content and no bigger
>>
>>322272923

I also like how the map was divided into hexagons and lets you complete something in every hexagon. It is a completionist's dream, and it helps you find things you missed and makes it addicting to get a high survey rate
>>
>>322271262
Actually fill it with stuff to do. Randomly generated encounters (Like RDR), rich Side Quests. Make it tied into the gameplay, and not just an added feature to be cool and appealing.

Case in Point, DA: Inquisition is NOT how you do open world stuff.
>>
>Spend effort on the world like Rockstar does
>tons of side immursive side activities that aren't time trials
>remove collectibles
>>
>>322272412

why has video games gone to a pile of garbage/fire?
>>
>>322271262
fill it with life make it truly an open world and not just a sandbox with a few toys and a ton of sand
>>
>>322271262

Make the 'open world' much smaller, but add a fuckload of content.
>>
File: efg.png (1KB, 164x400px) Image search: [Google]
efg.png
1KB, 164x400px
make it sandbox
>>
>>322272824
Morrowind does this

taxi, written directions and landmarks make navigating the world engaging
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.