[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall + Hong Kong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: Shadowrun Dragonfall.jpg (433KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun Dragonfall.jpg
433KB, 1920x1080px
So I just bought the 3 pack on Steam and I'm a little confused. Do I play Returns first? I'm looking at the content option and it says they both have Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall but I'm reading Dragonfall: Director's Cut has more options, better combat/UI, and extra endings. Do I just play DMS through Dragonfall? Do I start with Returns and move to Dragonfall?

Shadowrun thread. Suggest builds to me, it's been a while since I've played an isometric RPG
>>
pls help ;____;
>>
All I've heard is Returns is mediocre as hell
>>
>>322236576
Skip returns and only play Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Returns had a bunch of problems which were fixed in Dragonfall and HK. Those games are overall also much better in terms of writing and shit.

Can't remember exactly what builds were "optimal" in the games, but I seem to recall that in Dragonfall your protag being a decker with a focus on rifles was good.
>>
>>322237032
This is where the confusion comes in I think. Do you mean the Returns "Dead Man's Switch" campaign or the original gameplay? Dragonfall is an upgrade to the story/gameplay/UI and I think you can play DMS through Dragonfall: Director's Edition. Anyone know if this is correct?

I just don't want to start Returns and find out I could have been playing Dragonfall to the same effect the entire time.

>>322237258
So I can essentially play the story of Returns in Dragonfall with no loss of story? Reminds me of XCom EW and EU, you can completely move on to the expansion because the base game is included
>>
Returns is shit. The world is disconnected, and you can't actually explore the surroundings, as each area with a few exceptions can't be returned to. You select your next destination from a linear mission list and then magically teleport there. There are also no unique characters on your team, unlike Dragonfall and Hong Kong, where each members has entirely unique weapons, armor, skills and progression. The writing is also shit.

Dragonfall > Hong Kong >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dead Man's Switch
They're all standalone narratives.
>>
>>322237443
>So I can essentially play the story of Returns in Dragonfall with no loss of story?

Skip returns entirely, it's not very good. The story is not connected either so you gain nothing from playing the worse game.
>>
Returns is basically something they quickly put toghether with the tools and engine the Kickstarter funded. Dragonfall is where a full game was developed. Hong Kong had an even higher budget put into actual game development than both of them combined.
>>
>>322237443
>Do you mean
How should I know since I've never played them, I've only heard things. I haven't bought them since they seem lacking in the game mechanics department, like no looting enemies, no different ammo calibers, no aiming at specific bodyparts etc.
>>
Three games are standalone, and apart from some throwback references here and there, you can play them any order with no significant impact.

DMS is bit on the too simple side. Personally, being an old Shadowrun fan, I had a lot of fun with it, but it's a rather enjoyable but ultimately mediocre game.
Faitly easy too, so might be a decent introduction to get the rust off if you haven't played in the genre for a while.

Dragonfall, just skip to the DC. It's pretty good. I's say on par with HK, depending on your preferences. Can go either way.

If you don't know what to play, a good old reliable Street Sam specialized in rifles can't hurt. All in all, the games are easy enough that you can afford mostly any build on normal, so go crazy I'd say.
>>
>>322236576
I really enjoyed Dragonfall, but the climax of the game felt a little disappointing.
>>
>>322236576
Jesus christ just play the fucking games.
>>
>>322237759
>like no looting enemies, no different ammo calibers, no aiming at specific bodyparts etc.

Is this shit really that special to people?
>>
DMS is like 5 hours long, whereas DF is around 25 - 30 hours long by doing all the side content, and HK closer to 40. Skip DMS and never look back.
>>
>>322237939
I thought so too until I realized me acting like a cock ruined one of the major reveals.
>>
>>322238157
It is to me, games are boring if the gameplay is shallow
>>
>>322238157

Coming from the tabletop myself, I think I'll never understand the "no looting" complaints.

Ammo and aimed shots I can understand - a bit more options and complexity can make games more interesting, if well handled.

That being said I wonder how many people complaining about the lack of it would hate seeing the AI use it.
>>
Well, I started with Returns. But as other anons stated, it did lack in freedom and Dragonfall definetly delivers more interesting narrative and unique characters in your party.
I still enjoyed it, though. I suggest you try it out for yourself, but go with it as the first one then.
>>
>>322236576
Play a mage in Hong Kong. Mages got some awesome new spells and the dragon lines you can stand on can make your spells bounce or add extra effects.

Skip Returns entirely, it's not really worth it.
>>
>>322238356
>That being said I wonder how many people complaining about the lack of it would hate seeing the AI use it.
Enemies could cripple you just fine in Fallout and I haven't seen many complaints
>>
should I return xenonauts back and get hong kong + dragonfall?
>>
>>322238476
Probably.
>>
>>322238269
I know but in the case of "looting corpses" it makes sense in Fallout because lots of people are effectively nomads and would most likely keep everything valuable on their person. Shadownrun is set in dense urban areas and people have homes. The idea everyone would be carrying valuable shit on them is dumb and the idea that you'd desperately loot them is dumb too given that you're not that desperate.

Also "aim smg at leg" is still the dumbest shit ever.
>>
>>322236576
Do them in order.
Here's why.
>DMS: 6/10
>not terrible, quite decent
>Dragonfall: 10/10
>once you play this you won't want to play DMS
>Hong Kong: 8/10
>Very good

I guess you could do DMS->HK->DF.
>>
>>322238269
>It is to me, games are boring if the gameplay is shallow

So why are you playing Shadowrun and not Wasteland 2?
>>
>>322238476
Yeah. Xenonauts is kinda shit.
>>
>>322238571
>So why are you playing Shadowrun
I'm not, did you even read my post
>>
>>322238464

Non but then the end audience for SR and Fallout ended being quite different (as a backer, certainly we hoped for a Fallout-like game, but what we got in the end is modern Bioware done right, that's the audience the game found and I dont' think it would react to that kind of gameplay pressuring that well).
>>
>>322238256

My main complaint is that it ends really quick, it felt a little rushed even
>>
>>322238631
yeah, I am finding it pretty clunky in the combat part
>>
>>322238540
what makes Dragonfall better than HK?
>>
>>322238738
Yeah, again, I thought so too but then I'd taken on the mentality that I was carrying out Monika's wishes and consequently was protecting the area she put so much importance in at any cost.

So when I was given the option to burn that dragon alive, given how dangerous she'd been in the past, I took it. Found out later that she wasn't so bad and was a large component of the ending.
>>
>>322238925
The combat can fuck right off. It gets to the point where you basically have to have your entire squad taking cover from all sides because aliens just run in and immediately shoot your guys.

Maybe Enemy Unknown taught me some bad habits but I couldn't find any enjoyment in it.
>>
File: 1301400945539.jpg (555KB, 1600x2055px) Image search: [Google]
1301400945539.jpg
555KB, 1600x2055px
>>322238947
Probably the setting and the missions (specially at the start) are more likeable in dragonfall.
I personally love both so I can't say. The Hong Kong hub became the comfiest thing for me.
>>
>>322236576
Play DMS as it's short and quite enjoyable for what it is. Then play Dragonfall and Hong Kong as these have vast improvements over DMS, so you don't want to play them first.
>>
>>322236576
DF is best. HK is shit. DMS is mediocre and short.
>>
>>322238947
I thought DF had better story writing and pacing.

HK has better ancillary missions, but you don't DO anything to progress the plot; you're just kicking around and Running for the lulz while you wait for your fixer to do all the work.

Also, I guessed the reveal ahead of time. It wasn't BAD, but after Dragonfall, they had a high bar set for themselves and didn't quite make it. It's still pretty great.
>>
>>322238947
>better main cast
>better writing with planescape: torment tier prose
>better, more aesthetically pleasing setting
>better, more varied missions
>better main hub
>better soundtrack

HK does make the main cast have completely unique abilties and progression, though. The gameplay is also much more refined in HK.
>>
File: 1451447827317.gif (902KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
1451447827317.gif
902KB, 500x283px
mfw i begged during all chrismas for Shadorun and got nothing
good for those who played it

enjoy you faggots
>>
>>322239754
You can literally pirate that shit in less than 10 minutes.
>>
>>322239754
It's cheap as shit, though.

Surely your parents gave you some cash over the holidays, you poor-ass motherfucker.
>>
>>322239754
I'm sorry anon.
>>
>>322236576
>Dragonfall
>you are presented with a choice between saving and setting free a lying, mass-murdering batshit insane lizard or deep-frying it inside the exploding silo, which, despite being capital punishment doesn't even begin to be on par with its atrocities
>saving the winged inbred crocodile is treated like a morally good choice
>Lofwyr laughs his ass off at your dumb-ass decision, as you help conscribe humanity to another three thousand years of oppression

That, /v/, is the ultimate cluckdom. Director's cut makes it even worse, confirming that devs are either drooling hippies or are actually interested in humanity returning to the Stone Age under Pol Pot-esque regime.
>>
>>322239643
>>322239575
>>322239329
thanks. I only played Dragonfall but I think I'll give HK a try
>>
Still confused, can I play DMS in Dragonfall with the upgraded combat/UI? I want to start with it first since it seems the shortest and least acclaimed
>>
>>322240347
Nes.
>>
>>322240427
Not sure if spelling error or loose answer
>>
File: npc_dwarffemale_is0bel_03.png (150KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
npc_dwarffemale_is0bel_03.png
150KB, 212x278px
>>322240327
Remember to bully your dwarf
>>
>>322240347
You can play DMS in dragonfall and that is how you should do it.
A lot of people dislike DMS for its flaws, but since you got them all, it's just an added bonus. The campaign is short and very linear and if you get bored of that midway you can stop and play DF and HK which are much better in those regards.

A tip if you are going to play it, put some points into shotguns throughout the game, no matter what your build. You don't need to use them throughout, just make sure you have a few points in it.
>>
>>322240865
Thank you. This is what I've been looking for with conflicting results. I want to play DMS but I want all the combat/UI fixes from Dragonfall. I'll play them in order now, much appreciated senpai
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.