[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Source: Rights Issues Hampering Shenmue Re-Release

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: shenmue.jpg (302KB, 550x508px) Image search: [Google]
shenmue.jpg
302KB, 550x508px
http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/28/source-rights-issues-hampering-shenmue-re-release/

>It may be one of the most successfully crowdfunded projects of all time. It may be far and away the industry’s surprise announcement of the year. But one of the most crucial elements of Shenmue III‘s future success may be introducing a new generation to the original franchise in the first place. Though it sounds as simple as re-releasing the original titles to current consoles–and indeed there has been and outpouring of support from the Shenmue community to do just that–a reliable source has told TSSZ it’s not that easy.

>Our source indicates Sega has interest in re-releasing the original Shenmue to current platforms–and has wanted to for years, not just recently with Shenmue III’s Kickstarter success as a catalyst–but there are several hurdles to overcome. One of them involves rights issues with brands used in-game, like Timex and, in Japan, Coca-Cola. Those rights have to be re-negotiated. If they can’t be, the brands have to be purged from the title, and given how vast Shenmue is as a game, that is a “heavy” task, our source says. Still, it is something Sega is pursuing.

>Even if that obstacle is overcome, there’s the matter of the game engine. Our source says that while the bulk of the core Shenmue engine was developed in-house by AM2, there are pieces of it licensed through a third party that Sega does not own outright. The trouble, our source indicates, is that the company in question–the name of which we do not know–has gone out of business since Shenmue‘s original release. Sega is attempting to track down who owns the technology. While we do not know how much of it was used in combination with AM2’s in-house work, not getting those rights means some additional coding will be necessary for any re-release to occur.
>>
Fortunately the Dreamcast is the cheapest console right now. It's easy to pick one up along with Shenmue and play the game.
Or emulate it
>>
>>322232053
well, time to buy a dreamcast is there any good exclusives/superior version of games for it?
>>
>>322232053
>Sega has interest in re-releasing the original Shenmue to current platforms–and has wanted to for years
>for years
In that time couldn't they just have remade all the part that were unusable?
>>
As a lawfag, I've been saying this for years. Some of the same legal hurdles are in the way of PSO2's western release, and a remake of S3&K. Nobody seemed to believe me, or care. I know it's hard to believe for /v/tards that a big company would shirk it's legal responsibilities and cut corners, but almost every company does it.

Glad to have someone confirm it, and it's interesting to know about the code assignments.
>>
>>322233558
what's hard to believe is that it's a "heavy task" to erase coca cola from the whole game
>>
>>322233162
>>322233776
They just wanna be cheap about it to get the most cash.
>>
>>322232959
Soul Calibur
>>
>>322232959
Almost everything got ported to other systems.
>>
>>322232053
Who gives a fuck about Shenmue re-releases unless they're done by AM2. VF 2 XBLA and After Burner Climax are great.
>>
With coca cola they could probably just replace it with the generic brand version they used in the localized version though removing stuff like timex would make the game feel off admittedly
>>
>>322233776

Surprisingly, depending on the contract, they can be sued if they REMOVE the soda from the game without permission, too. It really is a delicate legal minefield that they're walking on.

Not only that, but SEGA has been pushing this "authenticity" narative, that doing anything not 100% of the way would be a cop out, and censoring or removing stuff to please certain customers is wrong.
>>
>>322232053
just fucking give us yakuza kiwami, or zero on PC
i only play shit like this for virtual tourism anyway.
I was like 9 when that shit came out on the dreamcast and have no nostalgia for any of this shit.
>>
File: 1419865287646.jpg (71KB, 675x514px) Image search: [Google]
1419865287646.jpg
71KB, 675x514px
>>322234945
>?
>>
>>322232053
I don't get it. The brand names were already removed from the English releases, and they've done it before with re-releasing Crazy Taxi without the copyright shit.

There's no real excuse apart from flimsy ones.
It's literally a case of Sega going "It would require work so we don't want to do it".

The fact they're using 'additional coding' as a reason to not rerelease something is sad.
>>
>>322235365
>and they've done it before with re-releasing Crazy Taxi without the copyright shit.

does anybody actually prefer the version of crazy taxi that is missing offspring and pizza hut?
>>
>>322232053
>the brands have to be purged from the title, and given how vast Shenmue is as a game, that is a “heavy” task
unless they are mentioned in dialogue, it should be as easy as replacing some textures
>>
I'm done with this fiasco! If they don't have the Courage and Bravery to release it and evade the giant fists of the Greedy Corporations that will no doubt attempt to punish them, then something has to be done about this immediately!

Shenmue is a game for the good people and we are not going to take it any longer, Sega!
>>
>>322236639
>>322235805
>>322235525
>>322235365

You know, companies have fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders and employers. Flagrantly going about things in ways that a tract lawsuits can be seen as a violation of that responsibility, and can lead to more lawsuits, fines, and in some cases, jailtime.

See >>322234738
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.