[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the general consensus on the Long War mod for XCOM? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: LongWar.png (183KB, 980x261px) Image search: [Google]
LongWar.png
183KB, 980x261px
What is the general consensus on the Long War mod for XCOM? I just got Enemy Within, so I'm excited to jump into a new campaign, and one of my friends suggested this mod.

I remember reading a few days ago, some anons were saying the mod is bullshit, and makes matters even worse with the RNG. Things like, massively decreasing the accuracy of the missile launcher.

Reading through their feature list on the Nexus though, I see some things I like. They suggest turning on Cinematic Mode option which gives XCOM an accuracy buff to help with difficulty, but how much does that really help?

So should I just jump into Enemy Within, or should I try the mod as well? Seeing how campaigns take a long time, I'd hate to devote time to the mod only to find out later I didn't enjoy it, but if I had one major complaint about the original XCOM, it's that once you neared the end game, it wasn't as difficult anymore. The difficulty starts to plateau and once you got near the end of your upgrade tree, it wasn't as brutally hard in the beginning. It seems Long War tries to offset this, but I really don't like RNG bullshit "difficulty."
>>
It adds some cool stuff and even fixes some issues with the original, but takes a lot of liberties adding a shit ton of stuff that it thinks is fun but just isn't. It's a bloated mod that thought doing everything would be the coolest thing ever.
>>
>>322208895

Thanks for your insight. That does seem to be an impression I'm getting. Trying to do too many things at once. I mean, some of the quotes talk about how it's "basically a free expansion" and when you're talking about a small team adding that much content, you're asking for trouble.
>>
>>322208329
It's a fantastic mod adds tons of new features and I absolutely love it. That being said it sounds like you have not even completed a vanilla EW playthrough. Finish classic ew game then attempt a normal LW run.
and remember break los
>>
>>322209991

Yeah, I haven't done a normal EW run yet. I think that's the best option, as EW adds a ton of stuff, and that'll most likely keep me interested for a long time, and then doing a LW run will get me interested with even more new things.
>>
>>322208329
>It seems Long War tries to offset this, but I really don't like RNG bullshit "difficulty."

Exactly my opinion for the mod.

I know that the mod is popular, it has some good ideas, but in the end, it's trash and waste of time.

It takes the RNG bullshit to a whole new level.

A good mod would be one that completely removed the RNG mechanics from the base game while still making it challenging.
>>
>>322211497

Well, I did read "all of their changes are in the .ini" so if there's a way to reset it to the default game's RNG values, that'd be nice. I mean, even the base game had its bullshit, but adding more bullshit is not a good idea.

Also, how much of an impact does that "Cinematic Mode" make?
>>
Those of you saying LW adds more rng are clueless. The only way you might be able to say it adds rng is the enemy perks. Either way if rng squad wipes you your playing wrong.
>>
>>322212604

What about shit like decreasing rocket launcher accuracy to like, 45% tops, and make it based on your distance from the target?
>>
>>322212756
It doesn't decrease rocket accuracy, it makes the soldiers aim effect rocket accuracy. your boot rocketeers might suck but promote him some give him a scope and a carbine and he'll make pinpoint shots. In fact it reduces rng as misses just mean the rocket deviates believibly from the target, not the 10% chance to fly off into space in vanilla.
>>
>>322213215

Ah, see now this I like and is a much better description than I saw in a thread a couple days ago. In fact, that sounds great and makes a lot of sense.
>>
>xcom is an elite squad of the world's best soldiers
>long war makes it so that they can't aim across a car park

The early game of LW is trash (every fight takes forever) and the endgame is also trash (enemies get loads of HP so everything takes forever)

But the midgame's really fun

It's like those elder scrolls total conversion mods where someone has the nexus of a good idea but then ruins it with all the extra shit they add to it
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.