[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was gaming so much more magical when we were kids?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: NINTENDO SIXTY.jpg (45KB, 399x308px) Image search: [Google]
NINTENDO SIXTY.jpg
45KB, 399x308px
Why was gaming so much more magical when we were kids?
>>
>>322197296
because they made that cringeworthy commercial of them reenacting this video as adults
>>
>>322197495
didn't know that and wish I didn't know that.
>>
>>322197296
Idk but this moment for me was 2001 (I was older than this kid)... I got Final Fantasy X like a little earlier than its official release because my dad was friends with a guy who ran a GameStop... And SSX Tricky. So I was hype. Then out of nowhere when all the gifts had been opened my dad was like "oh anon, you also won that "win it before you can buy it" sweepstakes from Taco Bell for an Xbox ( it had already launched but the winners were technically chosen before the launch and it took forever to ship) and so he dragged that out with a copy of Halo.
>>
>>322197296
I think you mean life.
>>
>>322197296
Because the internet wasnt around to attempt to ruin the fun.

If anything, it was that asshole with the fucked up haircut. You knew that his family was fucking poor and he couldnt afford video games, so in the end you just went home and had fun.

Now its just phone games and AAA dogshit that needs more time in the oven.
>>
Part of what made it magical, is that it WAS magical.
Technology was still emerging, console games were constantly breaking new ground, and it was special because it had never been done before.
With the advent of modern computing, mass produced hardware that's cheap enough for everyone to have, where anyone can be a game developer, the mysticism has gone, and all we're left with are nostalgic memories which will never be experienced again.
Until the next magical breakthrough in technology happens.
>>
Because you were a kid.
>>
>>322198224
>Until the next magical breakthrough in technology happens.
I want to believe.
>>
File: virtual reality.jpg (113KB, 680x375px) Image search: [Google]
virtual reality.jpg
113KB, 680x375px
>>322198224
It's coming.
>>
>>322198303

Pretty much this.

As a kid you're basically retardedly naive, where almost anything and everything will impress you.

you're older now, and jaded for better or worse
>>
http://n64kid.ytmnd.com/
>>
>>322198224
funny thing, friend, back then shit was also just as expensive if not moreso.

remember the neo geo selling for $699, remember the 3DO and CDi selling for over $400?

games weren't cheap either, going for upwards of $80 to $100

devs have lost anything that made them want to fucking try anymore, just look at the complete wrecks that become of Capcom and Konami. both companies i NEVER would have thought had that shit happen to them, such as axing franchises and making terrible ports.
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=GcFtW3E2VOE
>>
>>322197296
part of it is you're probably a jaded cynical fuck now. also games were actually better back then.
>>
>>322198697
I still laugh at this one.

http://nintendo64gearsolid.ytmnd.com/
>>
>>322197296
>Why was New Year's Eve so much more magical when we were kids?
FTFY
>>322197808
That too
>>
>>322198697
damn, showing your age anon
no one even knows ytmnd exists anymore
is max even running the site?
>>
because videogames are for children
>>
>>322197296
the games were good

now when you see kids act like that they're just fucking retards used to shit games.
>>
>infinite time
>free games
>games were more colorful, instant play
>no online play payments
>games more challenging
>less rehashing
>>
the experience is new for children

for older people it's near impossible to feel the same way about a game you havent played when there isnt anything compelling about it
>>
File: 1440446051924.jpg (53KB, 599x489px) Image search: [Google]
1440446051924.jpg
53KB, 599x489px
Because games were growing like we were. Compare graphics from N64 to something like the later PS2 games. Huge jump.

Now games are in a technology slump. Variety is dying and graphics have reached their limits before VR becomes a thing. Put that on top of gameplay/design being pushed aside for graphical output and we have just a lump.
>>
>>322198697
>>322198815
god damn is that ytmnd
i feel old
>>
>>322198834
It's basically in its twilight years. Over a decade worth of OC, its hard to just forget about it. ytmnd was part of the golden age of the interwebs, I just can't let it go.
>>
>>322197296
We didn't have to pay for them.
>>
Limited access to vidya. Now I can just buy whatever I want, whenever I want. Nothing particularly magical about that.
>>
>>322197296
A kid I know, he's like 10 or 12 range, pretty much has only played Minecraft since it came out. All his friends play Minecraft. For 3 years he's been asking for an ipad and is literally upset and bitches to me that his parents didn't get him an ipad. For his birthday last year, his parents got him a tablet and he got fucking stoked about it for like a month, downloading all the free and cheap games he could. It was running goat simulator, he had like a dozen airplane games and driving games, all kinds of shit, and now he only plays Minecraft.
>>
>>322199000
>>322199062
>>322198834
I sometimes wonder what would happen if reddit or normalfags discovered YTMND. Can you even imagine all the fads and meme's that would rise from the grave. NEDM would live once again.
>>
I have Shit to do. I can't just sit down in front of the TV and ignore my responsibilities as an adult and get immersed in a game world for 40+ hours.

Hold me /v/
>>
We were too naive and easily-impressed to know it was shit.
>>
>>322197296
You don't know any better.
>>
File: 40113_full.jpg (168KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
40113_full.jpg
168KB, 1024x768px
I miss when I felt like games were real worlds just like ours and I always thought that if you cheat outside of the barriers you could find every other area of their universe and interactive with it. I was a stupid 8 year old but it was great.
>>
File: power-tools.jpg (216KB, 1640x783px) Image search: [Google]
power-tools.jpg
216KB, 1640x783px
My nephew goes batshit insane over "cool new video games" all the time. It's just being a kid, everything is new and exciting like when you're on LSD

Whenever he gets all excited about game X I'll always think "but game Y came out years before it and was much better" but he doesn't have that jaded block.

tl;dr because you were a kid
>>
Because they made complete, finished, original games that you felt like you actually owned. Now we have a ton of bullshit forced on us where the companies treat us all like suspected pirated with drm and always online shit so they can always be looking over out shoulder.
>>
More surprising things are more memorable.

When you're a kid near everything surprises you.

When you're an adult, very little does.

Learn to treasure the things that do surpass your expectations.
>>
Ever try playing games while baked?
>>
>>322198697
>ytmnd

Well damn. Here I am, on the first day on 2016, visit YTMND for the first time in like.. 5 years.
>>
>>322199785
if you introduce him to the good games, he won't think new games are good. you can make him jaded before he should be.
>>
Because everything is more interesting as a kid.

As you grow, you become more jaded and innocence is gone. Making absolutely everything shittier than back when you were a kid. This includes videogames.
Add to the fact that most people here have some form of depression..
>>
>>322197296
because I lived in third world country without internet or PC until I turn 15
and games are freaking expensive. you can live off a month for a price of one console.
then after 15 I finally got internet and PC, but I still have to lived with that shitty internet that get disconnect everytime someone called the house phone.
trying to play RO with that was a nightmare.

Then I came to US and it was glorious when it take less than 10 mins to download a song.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.