[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will indie devs put in the effort to have sprite quality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Crabwalker.gif (345KB, 266x242px) Image search: [Google]
Crabwalker.gif
345KB, 266x242px
When will indie devs put in the effort to have sprite quality on par with Metal Slug?

It's 2016, people!
>>
>>322194467
Never, Because Metal slug was made by gods
>>
Cause the indie developers that have great talent can make 3D models instead of pixel games
>>
File: 11446.jpg (88KB, 800x850px) Image search: [Google]
11446.jpg
88KB, 800x850px
>>322194763
>great talent
>>
>>322194467
it legitimately takes more effort to make good 2d pixel art than good 3d assets and indie devs obviously don't have the time or money for the latter anyways
>>
>>322194915
This, fucking this. It's exactly why that new mega man, castlevania, and others are all with 3d models instead of 2d, even from the original creators.
>>
>>322194858
Nice reply
>>
>>322194467
I don't know why that boss gave me so much trouble the first time around.
>>
>>322194915
>it legitimately takes more effort to make good 2d pixel art than good 3d assets
W
E
W
>>
>>322194915
I think perhaps when you say this you're counting mediocre or just barely passable 3D as good 3D, or you just have no idea how hard it can be to make good looking 3D.
Just imagine for a moment all the effort that must have gone into making Vagrant Story or Conker's Bad Fur Day or NiGHTS into Dreams look as good as they manage to, and yet any vaguely pretty 2D game of the time looks much better.
>>
>>322194467
>Why can't mcdonalds make 5 star meals on par with professionals that cook for the king himself?
>>
>>322196298
>>322195395
When you make 3d assets, you can more or less re-use them all the time or even just use the rigs for other stuff.

When you make good 2d art, you more or less juts use them for one thing or any level that fits the aesthetic. Metal Slug has a limited amount of levels that you play over and over again because its an arcade game. Most games aren't like that.
>>
File: 425780.gif (1MB, 200x138px) Image search: [Google]
425780.gif
1MB, 200x138px
>>322194467
>spending effort improving graphics
>when that effort could be put toward improving gameplay
>>
>>322194763
I fucking hate the 3D modelling and animation meme. As a person that spent time taking a class for such things I utterly despise it compared to the things you can get out of spritework and hand-drawing.

Low-poly's got a neat niche though.
>>
>>322195395
It's true though. It's a hell of a lot less time-consuming considering how many corners you can cut through borrowing assets and camera tricks. It's almost like the difference in time spent learning how to use a longbow to how to use an automatic machinegun.
>>
>>322197589
Why would an indie dev expend effort on either?
>>
>>322195303
probably because you had to keep running away from it, turning around to shoot it and dodge shit.
>>
>>322194467

I'm not a big metal slug buff, but there was probably a team of a dozen artists working on it.

Most indie devs have one, maybe two art designers.
>>
>effort

lmao yea thats the first thing that drives people to work in video games
>>
>>322197559
This. Its why every low budget anime is now made with 3D/computers instead of hand drawn cels
>>
>>322197613
>I utterly despise it compared to the things you can get out of spritework and hand-drawing
You can get those same things out of 3D, it's just a lot harder.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.