[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Future of Game Journalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: 1424021496661.jpg (128KB, 962x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1424021496661.jpg
128KB, 962x1280px
Have you guys ever considered what the future of game journalism will entail?

Print is already on its way out.

I'm 99% sure that major online publications like IGN and Gamespot will be unsustainable in the coming years. Publishers are increasingly unwilling to give valuable "exclusive features" like game reveals to major publications, and instead are choosing to market themselves directly to consumers, via YouTube trailers or promotional websites. Reviews are basically a waste of money, as consumers are increasingly uncaring about review scores and very few people actually read full review articles. We may even see a decline of E3 coverage, as more major publishers are choosing to have their own events that are directly viewable by consumers (e.g. Nintendo Direct).

I think we'll begin to see a surplus of very niche, low-budget game coverage that appeal to small markets of consumers. PewDiePie is increasingly popular, as are many other "Let's Play" YouTubers, and the game coverage offered by their videos are valid forms of game coverage. Consumers will watch a lets play of a game to get a sense of how it plays before purchasing it instead of reading reviews. In addition, games can go viral through these YouTube videos, and become successful after getting coverage from major "Let's Play" Youtubers. This coverage can make or break small, independent games, such as 5 Nights at Freddy's. As we increasingly see large budget games do poorly in comparison to cheaply made, independent games, I think we will see the impetus of game's promotion moved onto famous YouTube celebrities, most obviously PewDiePie.

Websites like GiantBomb have their foot seemingly in both doors, offering traditional large-publication style coverage, while also having widely popular "Let's Play"-style videos. It's possible we'll see other large publications taking heed from Giantbomb's successful model, but its yet to be seen the impact they'll have on gaming's journalism industry

Pic unrelated
>>
TL;DR
E-celebs/shows
>>
>>283761606
>Print is already on its way out.
Printed video game magazines are still around?
>>
In regards to other publications following Giantbomb's success, it's notable that IGN's Greg Miller (arguably their equivalent to Jeff Gerstmann's during his time at Gamespot), has left their company to focus solely on a Youtube channel, "Kinda Funny", which operates similarly to Giantbomb.

I strongly believe this is the future of gaming journalism, and it's possible other traditional publications in other topics of interests will follow suit.
>>
File: Jeff.gif (838KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
Jeff.gif
838KB, 500x278px
>>283762161
The only difference between Greg Miller and Jeff Gerstmann is that Gerstmann is actually funny, interesting and fun to listen to.
>>
>>283761606
I don't pay attention to games journalism unless it's on Youtube so I could care less about it unless it's on Youtube.
>>
>>283762545
You are already living in the future bro.
>>
File: Il62CKbS_400x400.png (303KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Il62CKbS_400x400.png
303KB, 400x400px
>>283761606
>I think we will see the impetus of game's promotion moved onto famous YouTube celebrities, most obviously PewDiePie.

For as horribly unfunny Pewdiepie is, I can totally see this happening. If I was 12 I would find Pewdiepie hilarious.
>>
>>283762803
He is a hardcore gamer who can actually pull off a neckbeard. That's impressive.
>>
>>283763096
TBH when you're pretty you can present yourself like an idiot and still look good.
>>
>>283762803
I'm turning 28 this week and I like Pewdiepie. Also like Jacksepticeye and Markiplier. I watch their videos daily.
>>
>>283763684
What is your favourite movie, album, food, writer, and fashion designer?
>>
>>283764048
A couple of my favorite movies are District 9 and Despicable Me. Three music artists I like are Korpiklaani, The Barenaked Ladies, and Weird Al Yankovic. Favorite foods include pizza, macaroni and cheese, cheeseburgers, and raisin bran. I get my clothes at thrift stores and Walmart because I don't really care about what I wear, though I do like flannel, jeans and graphic tees a lot. What was the point of these questions anon?
>>
File: PAT.jpg (16KB, 402x300px) Image search: [Google]
PAT.jpg
16KB, 402x300px
>>283764868
Oh, it's nothing anon. Don't worry about it.
>>
They're fucked.

They've lost their actual customers via corruption, horrible opinions, and pandering to the tumblr feminist psychopaths. The industry is filled with the worst of the worst.
The industry's current relationship with the tumblr feminists is a fad.
The tumblr shit has reached its boiling point with the SVU episode, and developers are finally getting angry. The journalists sure as shit aren't going to learn (it might be too late for them even if they do), but this might be a sign that developers are about to start forcing this to wind down.

All of this on top of growing acknowledgement that media journalism might just be an obsolete field now. Questioning the value of movie critics in an age where everybody uses the internet has become pretty common, for example.

The future of gaming news will be on company-ran news feeds, communities where the customers hang out (i.e. Reddit), youtube (not the LPers, who are becoming the same shit as the "journalists"; that's a fad, too), a handful of small sites that haven't chased off people who actually care about gaming news, and maybe wikis.
>>
>>283764868
He's implying you're a pleb because you like pewdiepie.

>>283766710
Do you really think LPers will completely die out? Maybe celebs will come and go, but I don't think watching people play video games with entertaining commentary will get boring any time soon.
>>
Is that a diaper?

Best fetish
>>
>>283767464
Kill yourself
>>
>>283767764
No.
>>
>>283767464
you're a fucking friend
>>
>>283767464
I included that picture because I think it's funny that someone drew some bara Pokemon dude in a diaper, but now that I'm thinking about it is probably is one the best fetishes to have.

Unlike unrealistic, physically impossible fetishes, or fetishes that demand that you have an accommodating partner, you can experience a diaper fantasy completely independently. Also diapers aren't exactly hard to come by and aren't super expensive, unlike crazy BDSM gear or whatever.

In terms of bizarre fetishes it's probably the best to have.
>>
>>283766991

I was talking about the e-celebs.
>>
>>283768131
Aren't diaper fetishists also into scat and watersports? I would assume that's not healthy.
>>
File: tumblr_n9sha95YKV1t1fn1go8_1280.png (459KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9sha95YKV1t1fn1go8_1280.png
459KB, 612x816px
>>283767464
hell yeah bro
>>
>>283768397
No and no
>>
File: tumblr_mzitodFMZ01tq9xq9o10_500.jpg (58KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzitodFMZ01tq9xq9o10_500.jpg
58KB, 500x375px
>>283768397
Nah dude just padding up and chilling. Wearing diapers makes it a lot easier to game without taking bathroom breaks
>>
What the fuck /v/
>>
>>283770874
You are fucking gross.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.