[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
There are people browsing this board RIGHT NOW
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 464
Thread images: 57
File: oculus-myo.png (880 KB, 1222x796) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
oculus-myo.png
880 KB, 1222x796
There are people browsing this board RIGHT NOW
who haven't tried the Oculus Rift and think it's a 'gimmick' like 3D.
>>
>>275623201
if they don't push, after a short amount of time, an affordable price for the average jew, this will become a gimmick.
>>
>>275623334
I'm fairly confident in them for that, they're selling at cost, and they're saying the CV1 will cost around $200-$400.
>>
>>275623398
ah well, now then they just have to bride this and that publisher to produce a commercial AAA for it and they're golden.

Or just use it for CoD and sell it to kids on a yearly basis
>>
>>275623201
>10fps unless you have a serious gaming rig

Its a gimmick.
>>
I tried it briefly at a convention and found it rather uncomfortable to wear with my glasses.
>>
>>275623526
>What is downscaling?
A lot of developers realise this, of course you're not going to be able to play games like Elite dangerous on a shitty rig but there are tons of games which don't tax much but look great, also older games which have gotten VR support like Half Life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RehCTRrWM0
I'm all for this since it gives a reason for Nvidia and AMD to push their graphics cards.
>>
How will this enhance my ability to play anything?
>>
File: 1345474324323.gif (640 KB, 200x145) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1345474324323.gif
640 KB, 200x145
>3D is a gimmick
>motion control is a gimmick
>3D strapped to your face with motion controls isn't a gimmick
>>
It's cool, but it doesn't work with glasses, so all my experiences with it have been semi-blurry
>>
It's a gimmick because it's something new no one has it yet
>>
>>275623786
But it's not '3D' as in the gimmicky 'in your face 3d', it takes up most of your field of vision, blows up the screen to mean that the scale of things matches IRL, and the depth is FAR greater than 3d has, comparing more to real life; seriously people need to try it because they come in with ignorant cynicism, because it's easy to assume but when you try it you'll see why it's such a big thing in technology right now and why SO many people are copying it.
>>
>>275623640
>not using contact lenses

Is this the 90's?
>>
>>275623201

>Uncomfortable
>Shit resolution
>Hurts eyes

The future of gaming!
>>
>>275623938

Its literally stereoscopic 3D.

It works the exact same way except its even more gimmicky in that it's STRAPPED TO YOUR FUCKING FACE.

It working better than other 3D methods doesn't make it magically not a gimmick you dumb fuck.
>>
>>275623956

I tried contacts for like a month one time and noped the fuck back to glasses.
>>
>>275623938
The reason people call it a toy or a gimmick is because it won't contribute shit to games that aren't porn, walking sims or flight sims. In fact it's detrimental for anything else.
>>
>>275624202
It would improve all first person games
>>
>>275623201
They haven't gotten the rift to the stage they want it to. Getting a DK2 or any of the others is a dumb move since they are working on one with better resolution, optics and latency with Samsung.
>>
>>275623334
i mean if pewdiepie can afford one so should you anon !!
>>
>>275624265
No it wouldn't, it's already causing problems when people play shit like Mirror's Edge.
>>
>>275624304
pewdiepie is richer than all anons in this thread combined...
>>
I have tried it and it is a gimmick.

>>275624265
Good luck playing Quake or any game that takes any accuracy or quickness.
>>
>>275624093
>literally stereoscopic 3D
"The Oculus Rift creates a stereoscopic 3D view with excellent depth, scale, and parallax. Unlike 3D on a television or in a movie, this is achieved by presenting unique and parallel images for each eye. This is the same way your eyes perceive images in the real world, creating a much more natural and comfortable experience."
It does not work the exact same way.
>>
>>275624304
he has the most viewed channel on youtube, more than the youtube channel itself. he is a millionaire
>>
>>275624882

>it creates a parallel image for each eye

This is how all stereo 3D works. 3DS too.

Explain how Oculus does stereo 3D different.
>>
>>275624093
It's not a gimmick, this thing has already helped the military, education, even fucking cinema, if it was JUST for gaming then perhaps it would be a gimmick, but it's being applied to so many different fields which benefit greatly from it.
Stop trying so hard to be cynical.
>>
>>275624202
But I want it just for muh flight sims. It would be a niche accessory more than a "gimmick", like 400$ pressure sensor sticks.
>>
>>275625146

Motion controls have helped in all of those fields too you know
>>
>>275625278
Except this can fit a multitude of needs in the field whereas motion controls basically only do what it says on the tin, for education you could use it for school trips, teleprescence with virtual lessons, it could help explain scientifc concpets by being able to go right to a cell and explain how it works. And so much more
>>
>>275623398
i want the cv1 to have a frontal webcam so if i need to take something from irl i can just see with it.
>>
>>275625146
Nobody here gives a shit, take it to /g/.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b0a1V-iI3vQ#t=52
>TL;DW
It's not.
>>
>>275625495
that's cool but for video games it's a gimmick.
>>
>>275625134
It doesn't do stereo different, but it does much, much more than jut stereo.
>>
>>275625628

>Sessler

Opinion void
>>
>>275623201
Who wants to wear a fucking giant thing on its head to play videogames? I mean this shit will be dead on arrival and the mass market will never fucking care. It is the ultimate escapist looser device, regular people see nothing interesting on it.
>>
>>275625534
>QUICK HE B-BEAT MY ARGUMENT THAT MEANS I MUST CLAIM THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT ANYMORE!!!
Piss off.
>>
>>275625657
No
>>
>its not a gimmick because I like it
>>
>>275625772
Not even the same guy. Why should anyone on a board dedicated for video games give a fuck about what the oculus did or can do for things that aren't video games? Give me a single reason.
>>
>>275625835
>it's a gimmick because I don't
>>
>>275625764
>I care this much about aesthetics
That's why they hired Carbon Design Team(Xbox Controller) to make it aeshetically appealing, all you've seen so far are prototypes so obviously they don't care about how it's gonna look, but they've got the weight reduced MASSIVELY(DK1 was alright light) and I'm positive CV1 will look a lot better.
>>
>>275625695
>much more than jut stereo.
Oh, does it have three eyeholes?
>>
>>275625929
>i don't know what a gimmick is
>>
>>275625980
Because it's to scale, the screen is inescapable and everything is the size as real life.
>>
>>275626035
>a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
>>
Occulus Rift is probably fun at conventions to try for a few minutes but it's not like anyone will unironically strap a screen to their heads at home to play their stupid video games.

>b-but my immersion
>>
Fuck facebook.
>>
>>275625930
I am not just talking about aesthetics but from a regular person pov and value on being able to play videogames on VR.

It holds no fucking value for regular people. Which are the mass market here, this thing will be niche as hell.
>>
>>275626035
>>275625835
It's not a gimmick because that would imply it was specifically tailored to meet a very particular need, this is in that sense as much as a gimmick as a TV.
>>
>>275623938

I wear glasses, I can't use it, therefore it's shit.
>>
>>275626150
Uh, are you sure about that? As long as you can focus on a point that's just a few cm from your eyes you can use it, dummy.
>>
>>275625929

Imagine a device came out tomorrow that had to be strapprdbto your face that did something else other than 3D.

You would be crying gimmick.

You just defend oculus isn't a gimmick because it works. Doesn't mean it's not a gimmick m8 sorry
>>
Any anons tried dk2? I will upgrade my rig soon and think oft getting one with it, assuming the res is not shit like dk1. I dont need super deluxe HD but everyone said you could count each pixel when dk1 came around.
>>
File: FUUUTURE.jpg (30 KB, 800x788) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
FUUUTURE.jpg
30 KB, 800x788
>>275626056
No really, it's just fucking stereography.

Until they can create dynamic and realistic depth of field that can somehow track your eyes; we're not going to get any better in the 3D field.
>>
>>275626108
>b-but my immersion
So greentexting the primary reason why it's so great to trivialise it, so you don't have to accept that argument?

It's FULL immersion, it's the most immersive thing we've got in terms of being in a virtual world people will and have got it in their homes they've been fucking funded 2 Billion for it, because as much as you may hate facebook, it's the biggest social platform out there and they saw the potential for the next one.
>>
Enjoy your no apps.
>>
>>275626297
>it's funded on shitstarter so it has to be good

L O L
>>
>>275626289
That doesn't discount what I said in my post at all.
>>
>>275623201
>>
>>275626354
It got funded by FACEBOOK.
Are you dumb?
>>
so what are the requirements to make it look good?

What resolution? What framerate? Is it like running two separate displays or does the graphics card handle it well?

I want it for Star Citizen but I have a hard enough time getting 40 fps on a small monitor. It's really cool but I feel like it's just an enhancer, like headtracking
>>
>>275626382
I was using the virtual boy as an example that covering your eyes isn't some revolutionary technology

And yes, I've tried the DK2; my cousin owns one and usually faps to it while playing muh Elite Dangerous

But really, 3D isn't going to get better depth wise until we can simulate depth of field similarly to an iris
>>
>>275626108
i played through half life 2 like that, shit was fun as fuck.
>>
games like metroid prime are so good with it
best 1.2mil ever invested
>>
>>275626297
>So greentexting the primary reason why it's so great to trivialise it, so you don't have to accept that argument?

I am not him, but who fucking cares about immersion in a videogame? Only nerds and tryhards. This shit will flop after the intial sales to nerds and tryhards.

Show this shit to any normal person, they will not give a single shit and forget about it by the next day.
>>
>>275623201

Well, how is it NOT a gimmick? Are we going to be seeing challenging and complex games specifically designed for the Oculus Rift? Did we see some for motion controls? Fuck no.
>>
>>275626457
Whatever, I still don't see it as proof that it's good or worth getting. A few billions in Silicon Valley isn't much these days.

Look, I can't prove to you that my prediction about the future is correct (even if it is) but when this shit comes out (if ever) and no one uses it just remember how wrong you were and how much smarter I am than you, kay?

>>275626541
>fun as fuck
See, this is how I know you're grasping.
>>
>>275626289
what?
>>
>>275625764
facebook owns it so they could always release a turbocharged "beats by dre" edition so every pleb will buy it
>>
>>275623201
I want to fuck her
>>
>>275626649
>Show this shit to any normal person
Most seem to think it's pretty cool how far we've come. It's not like they'll buy it, but it's cool regardless.
>>
>>275626535
>I was using the virtual boy as an example that covering your eyes isn't some revolutionary technology
M8, the virtual boy didn't cover shit, the screens were small and took a very small portion of your field of vision.
>>
>>275626765

While she's wearing the Oculus Rift?
>>
>>275626508
Resolution: 2560x1440 (Crescent Bay has this)
You can also run at lower resolution (720p, 1080p and upscale)
FPS: 75-90
It's slightly more that running one display, Nvidia and AMD are tackling this.
>>
I haven't tried the Oculus Rift because my stereoscopic vision is impaired.
>>
>>275626798
If they aren't interested enough to buy it it means fucking nothing.
>>
>>275626649
>Show this shit to any normal person, they will not give a single shit and forget about it by the next day.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
Go on fucking YouTube you idiot, nearly EVERYONE who tried it, sceptic, cynic whatever, and I mean NORMAL people, and they're blown away. Fucking old people.
>>
>>275623201


As soon as VR hits 1ms response time at 1080p this will be the standard for gaming

period.
>>
>>275626807
That's cool, just ignore everything else I said.
>>
>>275626813
yes, so she can look at someone attractive in virtual reality.
>>
>>275626829
>FPS: 75-90

is that overall or per display?
>>
File: vr_infinity_eye.jpg (103 KB, 419x314) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
vr_infinity_eye.jpg
103 KB, 419x314
>implying the OR is the only VR headset in development
>>
>>275626862
But they are. I remember a video where they ask people who've come out, I'll find it in a sec, whether they'd buy it, and 90% say yes.
>>
File: vr_sony.jpg (50 KB, 770x433) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
vr_sony.jpg
50 KB, 770x433
>>275626979
>>
It IS a gimmick.

The problem you dumb fucks have is that you think gimmick = bad.

Which isn't true.
>>
>>275626952
>VR hits 1ms response time at 1080p
You're kinda behind, the lag has been solved, it's already reached 1440p, and will have 4k very soon.
>>275626976
Overall, there's only one display.
>>275626979
No but it's the most polished one.
>>
File: vr_sulon_gvx.jpg (148 KB, 1024x765) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
vr_sulon_gvx.jpg
148 KB, 1024x765
>>275627062
>>
how far along are the 3D hand sensor technologies?

can't wait for immersion breast groper game
>>
>>275626862
Well yeah, I'm not trying to fight you. It's just that point that wasn't quite true. Lots of people think it's an amazing piece of technology.

Still, I'll buy one. It seems like fun to mess around with, even if it's just me making virtual simulations of being in a mech or whatever and nobody else supporting it.
>>
>>275627126

It's not 1ms.


It's 2-3ms last time I heard

5ms is unplayable tier

show me source or gtfo
>>
>>275623201

I have, and I think it's a gimmick. A nice gimmick that will fill a very nice niche, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

I do hope the people supporting it like the second coming of christ understand that what they're supporting is a future where "game as experience" with very simplistic gameplay, is what they're mostly supporting if this actually hits big.
>>
is there a reason monitors have moved from 16:10 to 16:9?
>>
File: vr_totem.jpg (148 KB, 3560x1177) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
vr_totem.jpg
148 KB, 3560x1177
>>275627147
>>
>>275626979
>>275627062

can I use it for PC or is it PS4 orny?

how the fuck am I going to get my miku porn games on a ps4?
>>
>>275627257
The depth of the gameplay systems has no causal connection to being observed through a headset or not, what are you even talking about? Sure at first there'll be many virtual demos to quickly show people what the fuck it is, but you can add this to any first person game as long as you have access to the rendering part of the software.

There will be many casual games, but that's like saying you're supporting games like Madden, CoD and FIFA by buying a console. There is no inherent connection between simplistic gameplay and head mounted visual output.
>>
It doesn't have to be a mainstream product that's accepted by the masses to not be a gimmick. I do not feel like writing a long winded response because I've done it 100 times in the past. Like I said before if anyone thinks that VR is a gimmick they do not understand the technology and its potential. Simple as that.

Edit: For further clarification here is the definition of a gimmick.

Gimmick:A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

I would love to hear somebody explain how the Rift/VR falls under that category. Your response talks about how well it will be received by the general public. Which has no effect on the actual technology in the Rift or the potential of VR
>>
>>275627334
Movies.
>>
File: 1407225631718.png (80 KB, 375x383) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1407225631718.png
80 KB, 375x383
Wow.

This thread fuckin' sucks, guys.
>>
>>275627607
Those shits are still getting wider, though. My 16:9 can't handle modern movies at all without resorting to black bars.
At least my anime doesn't betray me.
>>
>>275627581
I guess they could still make third person action games and turn based games. You'd just see everything in 3D
>>
>>275623680
That is my favourite Oculus video. Holy fuck it is awesome.
>>
>>275627751
Movies are 21:9 or some shit (wider screens = more people per viewing), TV is 16:9 and true cinematic video games (from Sony) are also 21:9.
>>
>>275623201
Tried both the devkit 1 and 2.
1 is just horrible, low resolution.
2 is better, but the 75Hz still makes me sick and so does the 1080, which still looks low from so close up.
>>
File: vr_gameface.jpg (39 KB, 620x349) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
vr_gameface.jpg
39 KB, 620x349
>>275627418
>>
>>275624304
Pewdiepie can literally stop LPing alltogether while also using money for things like toilet paper and paper towels for the rest of his life and STILL have enough money to support himself and a family of five.
>>
>>275627743
I know, I mean from one point I can understand the cynicism, Virtual Boy, 3D whatever, and I'm fairly sure that most people calling it a gimmick haven't tried it, and it's really the only time where Reddit is better for discussion /r/oculus has the developers, Palmer Luckey, all those guys and it's just so much better to actually talk about it.
Fuck I thought /v/ would be a little less ignorant.
>>
>>275627865
Wait, I know the Order is running at a highly cinematic 30fps, but surely they aren't also cutting off a fourth of the screen just to look like a movie?
What am I saying, ofcourse they are.
>>
>>275627950
>Dev Kits
There's your answer, CV1 will be 90HZ (Crescent Bay is 90HZ) which is the threshold for presence (feeling like you're threre)
Resolution so far is 1440p, but since they're partnered with samsung who are releasing 4K phones next year they could have 4k.
>>
File: 1418351411811.jpg (67 KB, 722x349) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1418351411811.jpg
67 KB, 722x349
>>275627865
>watch footage of 'cinematic' game on my 16:10 monitor
>half the screen is black
>>
>>275628015
>reddit has the guys shilling for their own products that's why it's better to talk about it there
Fucking faggot.
>>
>>275624353
That's because Mirror's edge is already designed to give you vertigo on a normal tv. In the Oculus it's way too much to handle.
>>
I borrowed one from my university so I could play Elite: Dangerous over a weekend. it's pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to use it for anything other than flight sims. I tried a walking simulator and not having a fixed point of reference when you're moving around made me feel incredibly motion sick. it's also incredibly unreliable and I would absolutely hate to play anything that required any kind of precision. Maybe a first person RPG if they could find a way to make me not wanna puke? definitely not any kind of FPS or anything requiring reactions. Fuck that.

It is neat, and I recommend everybody try it out, but it is a gimmick. I returned it to the labs a week ago and I have no desire to pick one up again til they make some improvements.
>>
>>275628197
No they don't shill, they just contribute to the discussion and tell it how it is, what the Oculus can and can't do, they help devs make their games better and help answer questions.
Stop trying so hard to fit in.
>>
>>275628295
Stand up next time, you're also trying a Dev Kit which is not the experience the CV1 will have, which the Crescent Bay has already kinda got to.
>>
>>275627581
>The depth of the gameplay systems has no causal connection to being observed through a headset or not, what are you even talking about?

Of the audience it's going to bring. Who do you think is going to be the biggest market adopters once it hits past the technology enthusiasts ?

Non gamers. And as always, being the more numerous, they're going to be the ones the publishers service.

Oh tand there is causal connection about efficiency of §interaction wxith the UI, which will have an impact on gameplay, but we're probably too early to see the form that impact wille take.

>that's like saying you're supporting games like Madden, CoD and FIFA by buying a console.

If you're buying a console, you are supporting, say the rampant overtaking of the gamepad as a control scheme for one.

I don't believe one second the Headset will have little influence on that front.
>>
>>275628157
>who haven't tried the Oculus Rift and think it's a 'gimmick' like 3D.
It is a gimmick in its curernt state, i wouldn't survive 10 minutes with that thing on.

It's a good thing they're pushing resolution and refresh rate, but it's going to be more difficult to drive that thing the higher the numbers go.
I myself have 1440p 120Hz monitor and it's hard to got 100+ fps in most games, easy in Dota 2 and CS:GO (780Ti) but the more pretty the game the more difficult to drive.
>>
why does depth of field matter?

doesn't your own eye take care of that? i.e. only the part you're looking at is in focus anyway?
>>
>>275628323
No, they don't. Reddit is a circlejerk driven by their shitty upvote culture. You can't criticize a product in a thread about it as they'll all downvote and upvote the fanboy posts. It's like posting on a fan-forum about a game and saying it's bad - there's no objective discussion to be found.
>>
>>275628453
>§interaction wxith the UI
What even happened to your post, anon?
>>
>>275626736
>not knowing how your fucking vision works
>>
>>275628427
what about responsiveness? it didn't work as well for aiming as a keyboard and mouse, I don't get why you'd use one for an FPS. do you work for oculus or something?

I will try the standing thing though. I'm gonna be developing something pretty near with oculus for my final year project, so I'll have to get used to using one I guess.
>>
File: niconiconi.webm (1 MB, 854x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
niconiconi.webm
1 MB, 854x480
Can't wait.
>>
I tried it at Dreamhack last winter. It was cool and I'd love to have one BUT there was one thing that none of my friends said they got.

It burned my eyes, moments after I put it on my eyes felt dry, sore and hot. It was uncomfortable as fuck.
Some anon said the brightness might have been too high or whatever and that I could probably tweak it to not do that if I had one of my own. Hopefully that's true of the consumer version.
>>
>>275628594
You eyes are not your brain, they can not interpret information. If you look at a screen in front of you they'll focus on that and make it appear sharp. What is then shown on the screen is an entirely different manner.
There are a few exceptions to this rule as eyes can be tricked but generally speaking depth of field in VR has to be created artificially by overlaying the scene accordingly. This is rather hard as it would require eye tracking - when you are not focussed on something it should be more blurry than a focussed object and vice versa.
>>
>>275628594
Okay; when you look at something, everything else becomes slightly blurrier, this is more extreme when looking at something close up (your finger, etc), or looking at something far away.

Without this dynamic blurring, everything looks flatter as your mind is made to process depth as a mixture of both being far or near in terms of image discrepancy between the eyes, but also in terms of how blurry it is.

The reason depth of field is so shit in games is because it doesn't track where you're looking at

So until we can get software or hardware that can replicate our iris and depth of field, 3D is going to look relatively flat.
>>
>>275628641
>not knowing what depth of field effects are simulating and thinking they need to be replicated via eye tracking when using stereoscopy

you might be retarded

the eye tracking stuff people are pushing for VR is to avoid having to render an entire scene all the time, so you can produce higher quality graphics at higher framerates because you're not rendering the unseeable parts of the frame
>>
>>275624057
>Not wanting to try out SAO
>>
>>275628635
No you can criticize it and John Carmack and Palmer frequently do so and accept that it's no way NEAR good enough, there's discussion and the shitty discussion is weeded out at least on /r/oculus
>>
>>275628635
Are you honestly going to sit right there on your fat ass and tell me that you can find honest, objective discussion on /v/?
>>
>people actually plan on buying this shitty rehashed virtual boy
>>
>>275628667
They're making their own controllers anon, I know they'll have Hand Tracking but for movement I don't know, we'll see.
>>
File: 1396321302919.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1396321302919.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
>>275628971
Or maybe because your brain has evolved over millions of years to correlate blurriness with depth due to the way your iris works?
>>
>>275628453
>Who do you think is going to be the biggest market adopters once it hits past the technology enthusiasts ?
>Non gamers
How? It's a fucking device that costs hundreds of dollars just to enhance your gaming experience a little bit. Non gamers won't want to spend the cash, surely.

>Oh tand there is causal connection about efficiency of §interaction wxith the UI, which will have an impact on gameplay
Yeah, you won't see as many skill based shooters, but space 4x games like the X series and the upcoming Limit Theory could use it without losing any depth. Again, there's a loose relation, but not a strict, inherent one.

>If you're buying a console, you are supporting, say the rampant overtaking of the gamepad as a control scheme for one.
Granted, but this still only partially dictates what games people make. There's still depth, though less so, in console games, and a controller easily surpasses a change in the way you observe the world in terms of effect on game design.
A controller plays differently, has different buttons and inputs. A VR device strapped to your face just changes the way you look around. Hell, in most examples of FPS shown it hasn't even changed the way you do precision aiming.

I don't think you're necessarily supporting simplistic experience games at all. There's work being done on implementing it in OpenMW, and I can see that playing just fine.
>>
>>275629074
>I am a badass cynic who hates things to appear cool
>>
>>275626958
he should cuz you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>275629165
>enhance your gaming experience a little bit
Oh just fuck off. It feels like YOU'RE THERE.
>>
>>275629203
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_%28anatomy%29

Have fun.
>>
>>275629189
>i'm a stupid faggot whose mind is controlled by what is trending on twitter
>>
not interested until we get feedback,as in if the character gets punched,we feel the pain too
>>
>>275629114
have you never used any kind of stereoscopic display with a large amount of depth? when you focus on distant objects, things in the foreground become blurry/out of focus and vice versa, just like a real scene.
>>
>>275629287
>I enjoy projecting to make it look like I have an argument
>>
>>275629260
Which means fuck all for the vast majority of games
>>
>>275629307
>doesn't care about full rotational field stereoscopic vision
>wants painful haptic feedback instead

Literally why.
>>
I like 3D and I like the idea of Oculus but I really don't think I'll want to have that thing strapped to my head for hours. Not only because of comfort but also because of paranoia.
>>
>>275623201
I haven't tried Rift and know it's cool and all but it's not out yet.
inb4 dev kit. :^)
>>
>>275623201
There are people posting in this thread right now who are also taking a shit.
>>
File: 13727360293.jpg (93 KB, 600x800) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
13727360293.jpg
93 KB, 600x800
>>275625917
You are the least intelligent man on this thread, congratulations.

One idiot ask for a proof that Oculus is not a gimmick, the other anon gives the proof, then one retarded say it's not relevant because it's not video-games - even though they got some games.
>>
>>275629165
>Non gamers won't want to spend the cash, surely.
Not the guy you're talking to but I'd like to point out that there are various industry and entertainment applications for stereoscopic view - the reason mostly being precision as depth becomes visible and the surroundings are easier to keep track off. This matters in robotics, medicine and industrial scale manufacturing. In theory military also benefits but they already have own solutions.
>>
>>275629074
>>275629189
>>275629287
>>275629348

We've just got low-quality shitposts for days around here, don't we?

I don't remember it always being this bad.
>>
>>275629569
>i'm such an oldfag u gice
>>
>>275629391
Are you genuinely dumb?
N-no are you retarded?
>>
>>275629489
You do understand that it can be a worthless toy for games while also being useful in other fields, right? Giving proof of its usefulness in other fields is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>275629506
Right, but those are most likely company funded and not intended for non-gamers playing simplistic games like the guy I was responding to said.
They're also a tiny minority, compared even to the small group of "hardcore gamers".
>>
>>275629334
>large amount of depth?
The problem with this is that either requires too much horizontal image separation which makes the middle-ground too skewed; or a really big display.

The Oculus Rift, while it attempts and somewhat succeeds with using a lens to create the illusion of a bigger display, it fails for the most part to create convincing depth.

The ability to generate dynamic depth of field based on eye movement will give the ability of increased depth to almost any size of screen, and will be indistinguishable from normal focusing, if implemented well enough.
>>
File: 1407688952028.png (455 KB, 680x681) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1407688952028.png
455 KB, 680x681
>>275629620
>>
>implying the final retail version Facebook Rift won't be 720p 30fps max
>>
The real reason VR will fail: You primarily look around by moving your eyes, not your head. This is going to feel unnatural and straining.
>>
>people thinking this won't sell

you have a whole generation of millennials who are getting decent jobs now. They spend more on their smartphones and tablets for who knows why
>>
File: 1335506442949.png (20 KB, 527x510) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1335506442949.png
20 KB, 527x510
VR will never be big until we can make literal Holodecks

Until then it's just a gimmick because it adds nothing to the game but an aesthetic change
>>
>>275629919
>look around by moving your eyes
Yeah, which is why there is a wraparound view that simulates your normal visual range.

If you're talking about AIMING, that's a completely different story and not easily solvable.
>>
>>275629919
it would have to track the eye and adjust the focus on stuff you are looking at
>>
>>275629919
good thing the rift doesn't hold your eyes in one spot then
>>
>>275623956
Agreed. Anybody who still wears glasses when we have 'contacts' are just pseud-intelectuals trying to convey 'intelligence' when really they are just fuckshit hipsters.
>>
>>275629987
Smart phones:
>fun
>sexy
>versatile
>portable
>social

VR:
>unfun
>nerdy
>requires a large investment for a very particular usage that frankly won't appeal to the masses
>not portable
>solitary experience

Literally no normie would ever get a VR monitor to strap on their heads.
>>
>>275629761
>most likely company funded
Yes and no. If you talk about a large multinational engineering company producing some sort of anal probe that can be guided with VR goggles then they'd obviously have their own goggles.
But we live in times of startups and people taking ideas and making their own shit. Imagine you could buy a reasonably well working VR headset and build your own anal probe and sell that - it's interesting for medium sized businesses who can not spend hundreds of millions on R&D on stereoscopic HMDs.
Affordable technology is similarly to outsourcing a fundamental principle around privatisation in capitalism and its benefits.

There was a time when people said "Why would anyone want a computer in their home?" and yet home users found ways to do awesome shit with them once they became available.
>>
>>275630074
Do I really have to explain to you how eyes work? I'd figure you have some of your own. When you move your eyes your field of view moves with them. When you look around at a monitor your field of view remains the same.
>>
>>275630190
normal young people play video games brah. Even sitting alone and online with friends.

facebook bought it if it's any clue
>>
>>275630319
And normal video gamers are currently fine with 720p, jaggies, 30 fps, sitting on the couch eating doritos playing with a sub-optimal controller. Or more likely just playing Candy Crush on their phones.

What makes you think these people dream about total immersion?
>>
>>275630296
moving my eyeballs all the way to the side just feels uncomfortable. I don't do that. That's why it has a wide monitor in the first place.
>>
>>275630190
>not portable
What is Gear VR?
This is all to do with aesthetic perception and marketing. People like pewdiepie whilst annoying are helped to put the word out there, and tons of companies are using VR for their shit.
They hired Carbon Design to design CV1.
>unfun
Are you dumb?
>>
>>275630434
>everyone's stupid except for me

ok whatever. You could say the same thing about anything

>people are fine with their low resolution touch phones that can only make calls
>>
>>275630462
Uh, so don't strain them? What does this have to do with what we're talking about. You constantly move your eyes to focus on different parts of your wide monitor I'm sure and you're not moving your head much.
>>
>>275630159
Or do not have the patience to take care of contact lenses

I like being able to take my glasses off at any time and stuff them in my pocket, or put them on the desk. I like that I don't need to carry around a bottle of solution, or a special case, or worry about one of the lenses falling out and being lost forever, or having to poke myself in the eye several times a day, or having something shift and try to slide behind my eyeball, or having to replace them more than once a year, etc etc

No, glasses do not look cool and it's the current hipster trend, which is why I don't wear them when I go out.
>>
>>275630434
>What makes you think these people dream about total immersion?
Because that's literally the dream, the matrix, being inside a game, why do people buy bigger tvs?
To be more immersed, I can assure you that ANYONE who's told they can buy a device to be inside a game would be interested. And if it's cheap enough ($200-$400) they'd get it.
>>
>>275630514
>What is Gear VR?
More hypeware that's not about to be released any time soon if ever?
>>
>>275630581
I mean the display on the oculus is close to your eye so it has a wide FOV
>>
I've tried it and it's a gimmick. I could see how it would be useful for flight sims, but the only game I fly in is ARMA and I would NEVER use it for ARMA. Good luck spotting the enemy hidden in the treelines with those scanlines and those shitty screens.
>>
>>275630692
So what? The problem is you can't control the FOV with your eyes which is what humans do to look around.
>>
>>275630159
or maybe they're not no vain they need to finger their eyeballs all day
>>
>>275630764
you have like 100 degrees to look around

it's not as much as an eye but your eye can still move bro
>>
>>275630676
It got released last week you faggot
>>
>>275630758
>scanlines and those shitty screens.
You are using a Dev Kit, this will not be the case with CV1.
>>
>>275630661
You say this but you're dead wrong. Again, if people were aching for the "most immersive" anything why are people still playing racing games with a controller on a TV and not in a racing chair with a multi-monitor set-up connected to a PC?

Because people don't fucking care about "immersion" and there exists no 1:1 correlation with fun and fucking "immersion".
>>
File: Oculus Rift.png (55 KB, 632x1636) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Oculus Rift.png
55 KB, 632x1636
Made this a million years ago. And they have included position head tracking and have been rumored to be working on hand tracking
>>
>>275631095
It's a movement issue, not a view one. Moving the game with your head is like the #1 thing with this shit, no? That's why the concept is flawed because you don't normally look around by tossing your head around.

Ever heard that people don't generally look up? Guess why, it's because tossing your head back to do so is taxing and unnatural. Meanwhile OR requires you to toss your head to look anywhere.
>>
>>275631095
Holy shit I'm saving this for future arguments, thanks anon.
>>275631027
Because that's expensive as fuck and requires multiple shit for only one game, the Oculus is a self contained device that achieves this and can be used with a variety of games. I'm not gonna spend 2k for a racing simulator but with Oculus I could use it as that or other things
>>
Can't wait to play perverted, degenerate, horny shit like pic related, along with my racing games.
>>
>>275631472
If you're going for immersion you'll still need a racing wheel, a flight stick, an usb onahole and so on for each game. Plus you'll need a pretty powerful PC to run the game basically twice.
>>
>>275631550
Get out of the tub Poorin, it's my turn now.
>>
>>275631324
what does OR have to do with looking up? that's a game design issue
>>
I've tried the oculus. It's kind of hit and miss. Some things end up in the uncanny valley with it, other things are amazing. Played Elite: Dangerous on it with a flight stick and throttle, got blown the fuck away. Highly recommend it for flight sims.
>>
>>275631662
No you won't, the Oculus Rift is immersive by itself, those add to it, but only on a tactile, haptic level, the Oculus Rift does so visually, which is massively more important and more effective.
>>
>>275631876
Are you retarded?
>>
Knowing the industry VR won't get any interesting games as implementation comes at high costs and consumerbase will be too little to cater to it. This in return probably kills the VR hype quickly. It'll be a bunch of shitty walking simulators and the occasional non-VR oriented title from indy devs getting support.
>>
>>275631949
>I'm too fat to move my neck

they'll make flat levels for people like you
>>
OR is just a small part of what is to come. In the current state the Oculus is pretty much only useful for flightsims. How are you supposed to rotate 360 degrees without snapping your neck like a fucking owl?

THIS is what will bring VR into gaming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXtysynpc-U
>>
>>275623201

The resolution needs to be at least 3 times higher to be worth anything. Burned my eyes look at the shit screen, you can see every single pixel in a grid.

Meaning, once the dpi is good enough, you'll need the highest end computer for the graphics to look anywhere near good at that resolution.
>>
>>275631324
>Ever heard that people don't generally look up? Guess why, it's because tossing your head back to do so is taxing and unnatural. Meanwhile OR requires you to toss your head to look anywhere.

What are you talking about? You only have to look up to look up, you look left to look left. Just like you would in real life. There is a narrower field of view than regular vision I give you that, it is comparable to wearing a motorcycle helmet. But you are not going to get much better than that with non-curved screens
>>
>>275631662
>Plus you'll need a pretty powerful PC to run the game basically twice.
No you'll still need to run the game once, however you will need to render two views. Since the two views are quite similar you can optimize.

No go back to reddit you fucking retard.
>>
>>275629203
>cuz

GameFAQs, please.
>>
This is the Reddit of consoles. It's a gimmicky, over-rated scam that appeals to the least intelligent.
>>
The Oculus is just a gimmick. It is a really good gimmick, but it is a gimmick nonetheless. Frankly, the headtracking has more practical applications than stereoscopic 3D.
>>
Not seeing anything wrong with wanting a nice gimmick.
>>
>>275630159
or maybe my eyes are too dry for them you little piece of shit
>>
>>275632286
Actually in reality you would mostly just move your eyes.
>>
>>275623640
Wait why would you need glasses if the screen is literally next to your eyeballs? You can't be that blind.
>>
>>275632496
>Not wanting to fuck you're Waifu

Anon, please
>>
File: fedora matt.png (126 KB, 400x336) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
fedora matt.png
126 KB, 400x336
>>275632496
>>
>>275634434
Because your eyes focus behind the screen, that's the whole point of 3D.
>>
>>275623780
head tracking
better immersion

It's not an accessory like irtrack or novint falcon or a gaming geybaord, it's a direct upgrade to computer monitor.
>>
>>275624202
nigga you haven't played games.
The ability to look around is Grossly underrated.
>>
>>275634725
This
>>
File: 2.jpg (731 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2.jpg
731 KB, 1920x1080
If you own an Oculus and not nolimits 2, you're missing out big time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WW3wzmZTk
>>
>>275625508
underrated post
>>
>>275634992
A device for rollercoaster games instead of actual video games. I get it. Its like a mobile phone.
>>
>>275635230
>nolimits
>rollercoaster games
>>
>>275635319
Sorry, i meant rollercoaster movies. You can't "play" with occulus rift, i know.
>>
>omg guys look at how much this impresses normalfag 20 somethings!

>its totally not a gimmik!!

just sad
>>
File: NerveGear_2.png (211 KB, 953x535) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
NerveGear_2.png
211 KB, 953x535
Is there anyone who plays all day long with any VR helmet in this thread? I don't think so.
>>
File: 1408436747849.png (323 KB, 400x504) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1408436747849.png
323 KB, 400x504
>>275635381
>nolimits
>rollercoaster movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmC1p85kcKI
>>
>>275635595
>tfw SAO will be here in 20 years
>>
Look at all the fucking retards who don't even know what a gimmick is. I only ever come to this place to laugh at you guys and you deliver every time. Let me help you :

verb (used with object)
5.
to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, especially in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc. (often followed by up):
to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes.

I didn't know watching my movies/tv shows or whatever on a huge cinema screen inside an actual theater was useless. You're right guys, it's so much better on my tiny monitor!

Wow, this looks so shit, like the worst gaming experience ever ! http://youtu.be/-RehCTRrWM0?t=2m58s

I'd rather play Call of Duty on my tv!!!

See OP this is what you get when you try to discuss new technologies and their potential with autists. You won't find imagination or ambition here, stick to r/Oculus for VR discussion, like I do.
>>
>>275636251
You're right anon, I just thought /v/ would be a little less ignorant.
I remember them being hyped about this, I suppose Facebook acquisition changed that.
>>
>>275623201
And how the fuck am I supposed to try it RIGHT NOW? not like they give free demo units
>>
>>275636164
Maybe in 200
>>
>>275628819
it was probably the disinfectant some guy slathered it in.
>>
>>275636884
Yeah, brightness isn't really going to hurt, you. I have people look at the bulb in the lamp in the desk demo. Probably some disinfectant or something.
>>
>>275632496
it's not even a console

man you're dumb
>>
>>275630159

Uh.... the contact lens wearers are the fucking hipsters, retard.
>>
File: chaika_smile.webm (2 MB, 960x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
chaika_smile.webm
2 MB, 960x720
>2015 will change the entertainment industry forever

It is gonna happen.
>>
There are people on this board RIGHT NOW who haven't tried Oculus Rift and think it will usher in the "waifu age". Let that sink in.
>>
>>275634992
this is scary as fuck

but lol
>literally a themepark game
>>
>>275635451
>not playing simulator games
>being a pleb
>>
>>275625134
theres fucking lenses you dumbass
>>
>>275639297
I can't wait for the next Illusion game to use occulus

even their Real Girlfriend game supported it I think, years ago
>>
>>275639192
No it won't
>>
>>275639991
Shush, yes it will, Oculus has already affected cinema, Pixars rebuilding one of their films for VR, Interstellar has its own VR experience (of which there will be many more), VR is getting big,
Project Morpheus
Gear VR
Magic Leap
>>
Simulator games benefit greatly from the Rift. It's not going away there, anymore than joysticks and steering wheels. Japanese porn games will use it as well. Pretty much no other genre is going to change until about 10 years, where 8k resolution, eye-tracking, and PCs capable of driving that will make it possible to bring it into the mainstream.
>>
As someone who can hardly see anything not fuzzy in one eye, even with glasses, will this be any good?
>>
will movie theaters be kill?
>>
>>275623201
They got bought out by facebook.
Plus this thing is like the Atari of gaming. It's primitive and if it's successful some other company is bound to make a superior version of it.
>>
>>275640240

but who was Jurassic Park Samsung Innovation Center?

Hint, this movie will have the biggest influence 2015

mark my werds
>>
>>275640685
Yes.
>>
>>275630597
>>275630807
>>275633690
>>275638652

holy fuck...the level of newfag right now
>>
God I hope someone is screencapping all the faggots.
THen when its a success getting BTFO.
>>
>>275640685


pro tip:

the only people hating on VR are the one's with eye and vision problems.


> there's no 3-3D effect!!!

sorry for your shitty eye genetics, literal inferior pleb
>>
>>275640697

Nothing can beat going to the movie with your gf ;_; or family.

You can still have any cinema you want with the Rift though.
>>
>>275640957
but I've been here 7 years. Doesn't stop your opinions from being stupid
>>
>>275640697

You tell me and this is on a cell phone.
>>
>>275641528
do you actually watch the whole movie like that? Not really interested in watching seats

>that guy who wears a hat to the theater
>>
File: 1410840461926.jpg (8 KB, 253x296) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410840461926.jpg
8 KB, 253x296
>>275630190

>smart phones
>fun
>>
>>275641731

What? No. The lights come off when it is time.
>>
>>275641937
does it zoom in full screen?

do any movies support head mounted 3D?
>>
>>275641731
Yeah, I personally don't care for the theater apps, and just use a giant screen nearby. Theater might be cool if you could stream shit and have a bunch of anons join you in the theater.
>>
File: hng.jpg (6 KB, 252x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hng.jpg
6 KB, 252x200
>>275641528
hnnng imagine
> no babies screaming in the back

> no niggers laughing constantly and saying "oohh oooga boooga!"

> no 12 year old kicking the back of your seat


> You can pause it to take a piss anytime

> You can eat anything you desire

> brb stuffing pizza in my mouth watching newest blockbuster
HNNNNNGGG


Imagine the possibilities, some of you have absolute zero creativity
>>
File: gQo1BFM.jpg (1 MB, 6400x3600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
gQo1BFM.jpg
1 MB, 6400x3600
So I'm personally not interested because I don't really care about immersion whatsoever and it looks like first person view is the only viewpoint they'd be doing.
>>
>>275623201
I have one, and it is a gimmick. It's a neat gimmick, but its still a gimmick.
>>
>>275640697

>tfw cant go to theaters because of no singles policy
>>
>>275641050
Doing it why right now.
>>
>>275642039
>does it zoom in full screen?
What do you mean by that?

>do any movies support head mounted 3D?
Now that's an interesting question.
>>
>>275642142
Oculus is publishing 3rd person view games as well. Shit in third person makes you feel like you are playing with dolls though.
>>
>>275642054
This, I'd love just to stream netflix with friends, or watch twitch streams or something.
>>275642142
Nope, one of their most successful games is third person, Luckey's Tale apparently it works REALLY well with it.
>>
>>275642410
>Shit in third person makes you feel like you are playing with dolls though.

oh boy

>like in that illusion game Hako where you play with naked tiny anime girls and cum on them with your giant penis
>>
>>275642142
There are a bunch of third person VR games. I think the GearVR comes with a third person space ship thing and a zelda style dungeon crawler, for example.

People are still in the process of figuring out what you can do with this tech, really.
>>
I get motion sick from most FPS games, I'd fucking die if I used the rift
>>
>>275642613
I wonder what a flight sim would be like
>>
>>275642676
I don't get sick from flight sims. There's the cockpit to orientate yourself.

and by sick I mean I just get fucking dizzy, I don't feel sick or throw up
>>
IT'S JUST A FUCKING SCREEN STRAPPED TO YOUR FACE

THERE IS NOTHING TO BE EXCITED ABOUT

NOTHING
>>
>>275642676
I haven't used a VR device yet, but from what I've heard, anything that has you piloting something from a cockpit is pretty much a perfect fit for VR.
>>
>>275642803
>genetics

Nah mate, damage from ear infections ;_;
>>
>>275642613
I get motion sick from FPS games, as well. I'll never be able to play Half Life 2, that literally made me almost through up playing on a normal screen. In the Rift, I'm perfectly fine with cockpit games, though. I spent 6 hours straight in Elite, last night.
>>
File: thisisbait.jpg (218 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
thisisbait.jpg
218 KB, 1600x1066
>>275642816
>>
File: please_kill_me.jpg (391 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
please_kill_me.jpg
391 KB, 1024x768
Guys, check it out! This will revolutionize PC cooling!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBjsAXDsBB4
Has anyone tried this? How much potential for spooky shit does it have?
>>
>>275642870
Ah cool, that makes me a bit more enthusiastic for it to do well.
>>
>>275642873

Aah okay, balance issues?

What's the medical term called?
>>
>>275642676
Anything in a cockpit usually doesn't induce sickness. Except going backwards, without turning your head around, which can feel a little weird.
>>
i heard in the future scientists are gonna make human eye implants that would allows to see everything around us in 3D, without that kind of headgear
>>
>>275642873
Wait, so you inner ear sense of balance thing doesn't work right?
Do you get dizzy from stuff like turning around quickly, or riding a bus?
>>
>>275643152
The infection is called labyrinthitis, and I get it once or twice a year, and it's basically fucked my balance up.

Not all games have the same affect though, I'm fine with racing games strangely.

Also MUH FOV makes fuck all difference.
>>
>>275623201
It's a niche product, like racing wheels. It isn't great for every type of game around ,and you're not going to use it for day to day interactions with your computer.

It will probably sell as well as, and cost as much as, a good racing wheel. Expecting everyone on the earth to start using it to play fucking puzzle games and platformers is absurd though.
>>
>>275643185
what about third person view of planes, would it be fine for that too?
>>
>>275643303
Imagine walking around and and sometimes feeling like the floor is moving at a different speed to you, like those moving escalator flat things, whatever the fuck they're called at airports.
>>
>>275623201
>wearing that ugly thing
No, I'd rather not.

Am I the only one who think it look like the Virtual Boy?
>>
>>275643495
''A moving walkway or moving sidewalk, known in British English as a travellator or a travelator,''
>>
>>275640685
even if you had only one eye you will still be able to enjoy the head tracking and wide field of view
>>
>>275643376
You mean being a floating camera behind it, or a fixed camera? Fixed camera is fine. A floating camera depends on your acceleration. You will probably need to have settings you can change to make a floating camera feel right for you individually.
>>
>>275625772
Go shill your fucking gimmick elsewhere, that other guy was right we dont give a fuck.

Plus that fucking thread is reported for not vidya.
>>
File: 1384121113.jpg (55 KB, 478x396) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1384121113.jpg
55 KB, 478x396
The DK1 wasn't as good as I hoped it'd be when I used it, but it still managed to produce some of the sense of being in the world I was hoping for.

To which end I imagine Crystal Cove has worked out most of the kinks and it'll actually be really neat to play with, but the biggest issue is the fact that there is no real way of interacting with the game outside of either a clumsy gamepad or a ridiculous and non-versatile giant rig.
>>
>>275643823
You should probably get a fetish for oversized and extremly hard nipples so that playing with a gamepad becomes awesome again.
>>
>>275623201
She look like a fucking retard.
>>
>>275643932
Considering I like small/flat chest I'm sure my TV already produces a suitable effect.
>>
>5 years from now
>the first movie that supports full Oculus Rift vision is released
>you can literally watch whatever point in the movie you want
>you can spend the entire movie looking backwards if you can
>this gives rise to the age of the best mindfuck movies ever
>clues littered everywhere in the movie, you just have to know where to look
>plot points and even entire plots can be hidden in off view angles

Glorious.
>>
>>275644047
>tfw Inception was never made for the Oculus Rift
>>
>>275643823
Well, Oculus has just acquired a company that's working on hand tracking. So maybe that'll go somewhere. There are some pretty impressive demos on youtube using another hand tracking device.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRhoQ6o4mI8
>>
I want an awesome rollercoaster game for VR, i remember seeing some thing they had made for an IMAX cinema that was a first person rail ride and it was great.
>>
>>275643743
I've used the third person camera in Assetto Corsa. It's an out of body experience. Didn't get motion sickness, but it feels weird.
>>
Damn. The shills are in full force today.
>>
>>275644171
I did see in the newsletter they'd acquired that company and honestly it's a massive improvement over expecting people to use Hydras and Leap Motions.

But it's still ultimately only as versatile as a Kinect would be. Which is 'not very'.
>>
File: merelyanact.jpg (495 KB, 680x1671) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
merelyanact.jpg
495 KB, 680x1671
>>275640957
>>
>>275644209
Yeah, I've tried that too, and that's what I meant. It feels wrong. I don't know why exactly, but it does.
>>
>>275644228
Yup report and move along
>>
File: GD.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
GD.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>275644047
There's already a company doing short films for the thing. I hear they're kinda crappy, but it's probably going to be a thing.

Personally, I just want to see this shot in full 360° 3D. Apparently it's good at setting up a sense of scale.
>>
>>275644187
http://store.steampowered.com/app/301320/

This is Oculus compatible.
>>
File: 1342311418028.jpg (16 KB, 203x177) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1342311418028.jpg
16 KB, 203x177
>I've already set aside plenty of money for one as well as any extra stuff I'd want to go along with it (steering wheels and the like).
>I'm genuinely pumped for the commercial release in Bongland.

Body is ready, bring it on.
>>
>>275624202
>racing
>flying
>mech
>adventure
>anything firstperson for additional immersion

i'm cool with it
>>
>>275628786
Wow....so this...this is the power of the next leap in gaming technology...
>>
>>275623201
I'll wait for early adopters to betatest it for me. It's not like I lose anything by jumping on the train when it gets mainstream.
>>
>>275623201
Stupid ass human beans.
>>
>>275629065
Not him, but you can occasionally.

But you faggots end up calling eachother newfags, shills, or faggots.

Which is why every other site has that upvote culture, because when there's no rules you devolve it reaction faces and everything above.

BUT sometimes you can have a really good conversation.
>>
File: 1414188967701.webm (2 MB, 740x460) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1414188967701.webm
2 MB, 740x460
>>275644047
no no
>>
>>275644586
shieeeeettt, i want this. Would be cool to have a more ''fun'' version too where you can make it so it looks like you are going through hell on a cart made of bones for example too.
>>
If it's not a gimmick, then how come it's gimmick?
>>
>>275623201
I used an Occulus rift over the summer (The OG devkit, not the updated one).
It was pretty cool, but I had a massive problem with the FOV in the game it was playing on, not sure if that would be able to be changed or not without raping the resolution, but still.
It's cool, but not >300$ cool
>>
>>275623201
I'm glad I don't like video games anymore, fucking retarded nerd.
>>
>>275642816
STOP LIKING THINGSSS
>>
>>275623201
>buy one
>use it for a day
>regret
>>
File: DCS_v2-0_016.jpg (819 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
DCS_v2-0_016.jpg
819 KB, 1920x1080
This will have full Oculus Rift support, and that's what matters most.
>>
>>275643308

What's your POV preference?
I can only play 70 - normal POV ala Halo style

Quake makes me puke
>>
>>275645860
80-90. But as I said it doesn't make a huge amount of difference to me
>>
>>275643308
>FOV makes fuck all difference

except it fucking does
I get motion sickness below 90 and so do millions of other people
>>
you are now aware that every oculus rift thread is a shill thread
>>
File: v.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
v.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>
>>275624304
>i mean if pewdiepie can afford one so should you anon !!
>i mean if
When this is your first post in the thread

fucking valley girls
>>
>>275645816
VR gloves when?
>>275645947
I meant it makes fuck all difference for me m8
>>
File: butthurt.gif (538 KB, 265x322) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
butthurt.gif
538 KB, 265x322
>>275645963
>Mom won't buy me an OR!
>>
>>275646016
>VR gloves when?
VR external Texas catheters when?
>>
>>275630159
What a dumbass
>>
OR must be supported by large 3rd parties for it to become a success.

* YouTube begins to natively support OR allowing viewers a much more intimate experience.
* Pornography streaming sites begin similar and native support of 3D video
* Hardware manufacturers begin to sell 3D digital video cameras at a reasonable price to make 3D video and streaming without a lot of technical know-how
* Additional hepatic feedback devices are developed and sold (maybe even bundled with) to further enhance the sense of immersion (queue the cock sucker devices)
* Proper advertisement of the OR and associated devices and equipment. The consumers OR needs will have to be shown the reason to buy the OR.

And those are just the super broad things that would need to happen. The OR is ready to become huge but just have Facebook money is not going to be enough... especially as Facebook continues to drive people off of it with privacy issues and the growing sentiment that Facebook is nothing but a political shit pot haven for trolls and advertisers.
>>
>>275645963
>every oculus rift thread is a shill thread
I know, it feels bad, I brought one a few months ago, and I have used it for like 5 hours max. It's fucking awful, I'm pretty sure it's more them trying to justify their regret over shilling, I don't understand why people defend it, I've even seen people defend flaws that even oculus acknowledge exists.
>>
File: 1403873770554.png (13 KB, 166x166) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403873770554.png
13 KB, 166x166
>>275623201
I got to try it at local tech market.
Was pretty great other than being pixelated as hell. It was like staring a CRT from too close.

But the lack of delay with the tracking was impressive. It can easily cause feelings of vertigo, and the device's capability to sense your movements was great.

So, how much for head-mounted 3D display again? I kinda want one now.
>>
>>275646621
>Not waiting for the release version with far higher res

It's your funeral I guess, $350 (pre tax I believe).
>>
>>275646394
You bought a dev kit.
Do not expect a fully polished experience.
>>
>>275646920
I know,
I didn't, but the thing that confuses me is that people try to say it was worth the $350, when it's not even worth $150
>>
>>275646350
I think VR won't just explode into popularity, as many related techs will have to play catch-up with the HMDs, which seem to be on a great track, considering 4k screens are becoming very possible very quickly.
Initially, the rift will have popularity with the sim crowd, first racing sims followed up by flight and space sims when the resolution becomes high enough.
The reason for this is because unlike other genres, vehicle sims already have all the needed input possibilities for a superb experience because you only need a wheel or flightstick.
>>
File: terrific.gif (1024 KB, 184x141) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
terrific.gif
1024 KB, 184x141
I want to make a full body cage that you are fully surrounded by and essentially gives you 360degree control and feedback. As in it completely lifts you off the ground, and the things supporting your feet can actually simulate different surfaces.

It surely can't be impossible.

Massively expensive and intensely difficult.

But not impossible.
>>
>>275646847
Yeah, waiting makes more sense.
>>
>>275644970
except for months of your life that could have been spent enjoying the apex of technology before the great economic collapse and second dark age
>>
Its NOT a gimmick?
>>
>>275634025
you do in vr too. you only move your head up if you cant see much more than you would when wearing a motorcycle helmet...
>>
>>275647260
Yeah, for vehicle sims, it's almost already there. You just need 4k, and finger tracking to flip switches, and it's good enough.
>>
>>275647608
Finger tracking isn't that necessary, you can just use a cursor that's bound to your face to click on things.
>>
>>275647741
Not necessary to play, but necessary for feeling immersed.
>>
>>275626829
How do I get the Crescent Bay?
>>
I still can't get over the screen. I wonder what they'll show off at GDC in a few months, because this year's still isn't convincing me into buying one.
>>
>>275648220
Be one of their favorite developers.
>>
>>275626289
>opinion
>counter opinion
>"no im right"
come on
>>
>>275636164
>a server to handle the capability of SAO
lel. Even a cluster of servers the size of a football field wouldn't be able to handle it.
>>
I can just buy a high tier monitor for Facebook Rift money.
>>
>>275648220
You can't it's like Crystal Cove, it's just a prototype
>>
>>275628786
HERE IS THE NICO NICO SMILE COMING YOUR WAY, BROTHER!
>>
>>275647078

>what is early adopter
>>
I tried VR once or twice, back in 1998. It was a gimmick then and it's a gimmick now.
>>
its good but still a baby
we have to wait until it goes 4K, then we can talk
>>
>>275649273
I'm not saying I didn't expect people to buy the early version, I knew it was gonna sell out constantly. But that doesn't make it a justified purchase.
>>
>>275649580

>that one faggot that says he will wait till 4K

We both know you retards are gonna buy it anyway when it comes out.
>>
File: 1356021096350.jpg (65 KB, 355x236) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1356021096350.jpg
65 KB, 355x236
>>275626289
>Until they can create dynamic and realistic depth of field that can somehow track your eyes

Stop using buzzwords you don't understand. Your eyes create DOF when you focus on things at different depths and why would they need to track your eyes for that?
>>
File: question_huge eyes.png (333 KB, 524x358) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
question_huge eyes.png
333 KB, 524x358
Does every jackass that compares OR to Virtual Boy is secretly bumping the thread? No one is actually that retarded right?
>>
>>275623201
>Implying I'm going to support Facebookulus Rift
Seriously, I'm waiting for cheap chinese copies
>>
>>275650327
There are a bunch of different things going on with your eyes when you look at things at different ranges. The thing you're talking about is parallax, meaning that each eye receives a different image. The thing he's talking about is accomodation, meaning that the lenses in the eyes adjust for a different distance. HMDs can simulate the former, but not the latter.

I don't know how important that is, because I haven't tried one. I suspect that neither does he.
>>
>>275650762
>cheap chinese copies

But how will Oculus compatible games work for it?
>>
It's possible to play 3D games right now, you just have to do a certain trick with your eyes.

When I look at these stereoscopic images on my cellphone, I'm able to adjust my eyes in that weird way that makes these 3D images, but I can't do it while looking at them on my computer monitor.

When you look at this picture in a way that you're able to see THREE of her, you did it correctly.

It gets really trippy if you add a detail to one of these pictures. I saw one where it was two exact images side-by-side, but one had a penis and the other didn't and then when I got the third image effect going with my eyes the penis was there and it was slightly blurred and "fuzzy."
>>
>>275650794
You are correct that HMDS can't simulate accommodation. It is also the least important visual cue. You pretty much have to have vision problems for it to be a significant part.
>>
>it's not a gimmick
It is a gimmick
>>
>>275623201
i'm still grumpy with facebook
>>
>>275625628
>implying he didn't make that video because the VR overlords paid him with a few grams of pure Colombian coke
>>
>>275625146
>if it's used in many other things other than gaming then it's not a gimmick

It's a gaming gimmick, deal with it VR apologist
>>
File: scanner.jpg (19 KB, 500x400) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
scanner.jpg
19 KB, 500x400
>make fake video claiming to have a prototype of a virtualization scanner like in Code Lyoko
>make a fake video of someone bringing a camera into the scanner with them and add some special effects
>make a Kickstarter to ask for investments

No matter how outlandishly stupid, there will always be retards to throw money at stuff on Kickstarter.
>>
>>275626068
>VR is not attracting attention, publicity and business

:^)
>>
>>275651817
>I like being an ignorant cynic because it makes me look cool
>>275651927
Do you even know what a gimmick means?
If it's able to fit a variety of means then it's not a gimmick
>>
>>275652061
>If it's able to fit a variety of means then it's not a gimmick
No
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6EPo65Yvwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA2NI4NgsV0
>>
>>275652061
>Definition of gimmick in English:
>A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade

>If it's able to fit a variety of means then it's not a gimmick
Nothing in that definition says that if it fits a variety of means it's not a gimmick. Try again VR apologist.
>>
>>275652474
does that mean that the xbox one is a gimmick because it's a device that's supposed to attract attention and publicity
>>
>>275652650
If it fits the definition then yes, it is.
Who I am to disagree with the meaning of the word?
>>
>>275652474
3D graphics is a gimmick, if that is all. Go back to your pixel art.
>>
>>275652748
alright, so now that we have established once and for all that the term is useless, we can all go back to ignoring the OP and talking about VR
>>
>>275653002
>Do you even know what a gimmick means?
>But the definition of the word is useless.

Next time avoid talking about the meaning of words if you are the first one who doesn't know the meaning of the word. It'll save you time and embarrassment.
>>
>>275653242
I was not the guy who said that
no need to get all flustered at me
>>
>>275652806
Pixel art is a gimmick too. Every evolution in gaming has been a gimmick so far because it aims to attract more people by improving how it looks.
>>
>>275653341
>I was not the guy who said that
Sure it wasn't.
I bet you just came to the thread and that was your first post too.
>>
>>275653587
nah, I made a bunch of posts about head mounted VR displays
just not about the definition of the word gimmick
because really that argument was dumb from the start
>>
File: 10388072_4890_n.jpg (51 KB, 500x935) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
10388072_4890_n.jpg
51 KB, 500x935
>>
TV is as much as a Gimmick as the Oculus Rift is.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>275653968
his arm should be clipping into the tree for greater accuracy
or be invisible, along with the rest of his body
>>
>>275653779
>because really that argument was dumb from the start
We can agree on that so far. Not my fault idiots start basing their arguments on their incorrect meaning of words, tho.
In any case VR is indeed a gimmick. It's just that people always thinks a gimmick is bad, for some reason.
Oculus rift is one hell of a good gimmick.
>>
File: 1412529779297.png (66 KB, 436x425) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1412529779297.png
66 KB, 436x425
>>275628786
>tfw I'm crossed eye
>>
File: ek90261j.jpg (120 KB, 500x935) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ek90261j.jpg
120 KB, 500x935
>>275654265
>>
>>275630159
You have no fucking clue how uncomfortable contacts are
>>
>tfw it comes out next summer
I'm hyped bros
>>
>this E3 consoles will be irrelevant

Aside from PS4, it just over.
>>
>>275655810
nah
the vidya industry is a fucking juggernaut
and while I have no doubt that VR HMDs like the Rift or Gear VR are really, really cool, they're nowhere near able to topple something like that
especially not while they carry the stigma of having to strap a big old box to your face
>>
>>275654712
Pretty accurate. Nothing can describe what it's like to look up and behind you can still be in the game. Naysayers don't even try.
>>
File: 1415376896323.jpg (108 KB, 960x843) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1415376896323.jpg
108 KB, 960x843
>Every decade VR tries to make it big
>every decade it fails horribly and fades into obscurity
>VR apologists eat it up and make retarded claims without fail
>IT'S GOING TO CHANGE THE INDUSTRY
>WELL THIS TIME IT'S DIFFERENT BECAUSE IT HAS X.
>X HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE

>it's been close to two years since the rift came out and literally nothing has come out of it but hype

I'm waiting for the VRbabby tears. I've got my mug and a lemon wedge ready
>>
>>275656114

>stigma of having to strap a big old box to your face

True but once you try it, people begin to change their minds. I'm just bored of traditional games.
>>
What high quality games have good rift integration?
Ones that are out right now. Promises of things to come doesn't count.
>>
http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-hires-the-brains-behind-vrs-most-promising-hand-tracking-tech/
>>
>>275656293
>Being cynical makes me look like a badass
You haven't tried it have you?
>>
>>275623201
Everything that is a peripheral just fails. Oculus is no different.
>>
>>275656948
>not falling for gimmicks time and time again is the same as being cynical
oh wow you sure showed me.
>>
Release an actual product to discuss before making these shill threads.
>>
>>275657649
mobile phones were a gimmick once
so were touch screens
the wayback machine is probably full of old posts decrying the iphone as one
>>
>>275623201
Does /v/ have amnesia or are you this fucking new? All the hype died when Facebook acquired Oculus Rift.
>>
>>275658274
>mobile phones were a gimmick once
>literally one of the most useful inventions since the television and the internet
> ever a gimmick

>so were touch screens
And then they became standard once people saw how useful they were. That and Apple, a giant in technology, marketed them to death to an already rabid group of zealots who forced it to catch on. NOt to mention the fact that the touchscreen interface turned out to be much more intuitive than anything a flip phone could bring to the market
All of those are very rare factors that contributed to the takeoff of smartphones.
The OR has none of those features
>but facebook
Facebook is a giant in social media. It doesn't even have a product. It makes ad revenue. You'd better hope word of mouth turns the OR into the next iphone because that's all it has going for it.

Next time at least try to seem
>>
>>275642935
here's your reply
>>
File: The future.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
The future.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>275658797
>>275658797
Fuck off gramps
>>
>>275658894
>because that's all it has going for it.
Yeah not like feeling you're in a virtual space is anything right?
Facebook is a giant, and they themselves have said 50m-100m headset sales in 10 years
>>
>>275658797
Not really. There were a couple of weeks where >facebook became the reply of choice and then everything went back to pretty much how it was before the acquisition. That's why out of the 400 posts in this thread, only 16 contain the word "facebook".
>>
>>275627062
these thigns better use ultraHD-OLEDs or else im going to pass, i dont need eye cancer.
>>
>>275625628

He alludes to gamergate near the end of the 1st minute
>>
>>275658938
>implying fuckbook will let you have your waifus
>>
>>275658938
>memeposting
I want Oculus shills to leave
>>
>>275658894
Mobile phones are older than the internet. And they started as a fucking gimmick.

And really, it's very unclear what argument you're even trying to make here. Because you yourself are saying that something that seems like a gimmick can become a widely used feature.

Also, I don't think VR will become the next iphone anytime soon. That's because there's a spectrum between "the next iphone" and "forgotten gimmick".
>>
>>275659205
Facebook has zero experience with hardware.
Rift is pricey peripheral that requires a high end PC to function. It's strictly an enthusiast's device. Given how badly VR products and PC peripherals in general sell, there's no way in hell this could sell 5 million units per year.

These numbers were made up by Palmer so he could sell his company to investors. They're not real.
>>
>147 unique posters

shill hard
>>
>>275659205
>Yeah not like feeling you're in a virtual space is anything right
Are you retarded? I don't care how cool the gimmick is. The fact is that it has nothing but word of mouth going for it.
>people will buy it and it will become the next big thing just because it's cool
Guess that means that racing wheels will become mainstream and everyone will have one and they'll change the industry becuase of how practical and cool they are.
Oh wait. only hobbyists have them because they're fucking expensive and only used for a single type of game (sound familiar)
are you 5 or something?

>Facebook is a giant, and they themselves have said 50m-100m headset sales in 10 years
>an estimation suggests profit
Now I know you're 5

>>275659765
stop posting this shit. No one cares how much you get paid for shilling. No one's going to buy the thing.

>>275659891
>And they started as a fucking gimmick
>walki-talkies and radios started as a gimmick
lel.
You know what else "started as a gimmick" cars. they were toys only hobbyists could afford to buy and maintain. But unlike the OR they were practical. and people wanted them.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that the OR will be on the "forgotten gimmick" end of the spectrum. Literally nothing says otherwise.
>>
I love how sony is developing a vr headset for a system that does 30fps at 900p. Oculus is trying hard to have sony not poision the vr well by sharing tech with them
>>
>>275658894
Mobile phones are older than the internet. And they started as a fucking gimmick. There were analog mobile phones.

And really, it's hard to see what argument you're even trying to make here. Because what you're saying is that something that seems like a gimmick, such as a touchscreen or a VR HMD, can stop being one once people accept it.

Also, I don't think VR will become the next iphone anytime soon. That is because there is a spectrum between "the next iphone" and "forgotten gimmick".
>>
>>275660134
>that requires a high end PC to function
The GearVR literally runs on a phone. And it looks better than the Rift DK2.
>>
>>275625508
Or even better. a 3d camera you mount on top of the monitor. Would be trippy as fuck to look down on yourself, from the top of your monitor.
Can't wait to give the cv1 a go while on acid
>>
>>275660134
Who the fuck said a year?
>What is growth?
>>275660298
But unlike the OR they were practical.
So is the Oculus for Education, the Military, Medicine I don't get your point.
>Literally nothing says otherwise.
God you're so unbelivably ignorant all you're doing is making your side the ONLY side.
>>
>>275660298
Your entire post boils down to you not seeing what's supposed to be so great about VR. Which is exactly what most people I know used to say about using a phone that doesn't have physical buttons to press with your thumb.
>>
>>275660904
THIS.
>>
>>275660303
>Oculus
>Having any technology to share
Sony made high res headsets long before Rift even was a kickstarter. They have the technology advantage because they actually have the display technology.
Rift has no unique technology.
>>
>>275623680
Holy fuvking shit

Just managed to cross my eyes a bit and get 3d on my smartphone

brb doing this for hours now
>>
>>275659765
fuck data gloves. this is the future.

when are they going to plug this shit in our brains?
>>
>>275660298
>>275659765

Chill you're autism. I just post screen shots of web pages so that they don't get click revenue
>>
>>275661097
The display technology is not what they're good at. The software is. That's why the Gear VR uses Samsung's display and Carmack's code.
>>
>tfw come back and my thread has 430 replies
>tfw it's 90% ignorant shitposting
I'm fucking off back to r/oculus
>>
File: Lelf_Evil.png (309 KB, 500x375) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Lelf_Evil.png
309 KB, 500x375
>>275660647
>So is the Oculus for Education, the Military, Medicine I don't get your point.
VR has always been practical for that. I'm not getting why it would take off now if the potential was already there
>BECAUSE THIS TIME IT HAS THIS
please refer to my original post
>>275656293

>God you're so unbelivably ignorant all you're doing is making your side the ONLY side.
lol you sound mad. How bout you come up with some opposing evidence instead of crying that someone's not jumping on the hype train, faggot

>>275660904
>Your entire post boils down to you not seeing what's supposed to be so great about VR
Except it doesn't say that at all. I have games I want for VR. Hell I designed several games for it myself. I think it's a great product. The difference between you and me is that I'm not supporting shit until it proves its greatness beyond walking sims and shitty free to download games on some indiedev's blog.

>Which is exactly what most people I know used to say about using a phone that doesn't have physical buttons to press with your thumb.
I've never heard anyone ever say that literally ever. I had only ever heard hype for the iphone and within a few months everyone had one. Enjoy being wrong though
>>
>>275651506
PC anon, wait for the based modders to get rid of that shit like cyanogenmod
>>
>>275661654
>I'm not getting why it would take off now if the potential was already there
Because smartphones have made good acceleration sensors and small, lightweight high resolution displays possible and affordable.

As for your VR games, now I'm curious. What do they run on? Can you tell me their names? Are there gameplay videos on youtube or something?
>>
>>275647525
You ARE a tripfaggot?
>>
>>275661374
The software isn't the key technology here. It's easily replaceable.
Whoever has the highest res, highest FOV and most comfortable to wear headset will win the OR race.
>>
>>275662257
>Whoever has the highest res, highest FOV and most comfortable to wear headset will win the OR race.
That's all assuming it runs with a decent framerate and a low head tracking latency. Which is up to the software.
>>
>>275662005
>Because smartphones have made good acceleration sensors and small, lightweight high resolution displays possible and affordable.
The point is that things don't take off until larger companies or industry giants start the trend. No matter how revolutionary. If the OR takes off it will be through someone like Nintendo, not facebook.

>As for your VR games, now I'm curious. What do they run on? Can you tell me their names? Are there gameplay videos on youtube or something?
I designed them, not developed
>inb4 ideaguy
Saving up to develop a VR arcade in a big city
>>
File: dcoil-3[1].png (292 KB, 640x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
dcoil-3[1].png
292 KB, 640x360
>All these people who don't understand the concept of 'first steps'.

You have to learn how to get into orbit before you can plan to go the moon. The DKs and CV1 will look stoneaged when we're all wearing our lightweight AR glasses but we'd owe it to the development they allowed.
>>
>>275624304
but how will we be able to see his beautiful face if he starts playing games with the oculus?
>>
>>275662413
Framerate is up to the GPU and the game and has nothing to do with the headset software.
Tracking latency is better reduced with higher fps, lower response panels than software workarounds, which are easily copied, too.
>>
>>275662612
The problem is the lenses. You won't get those much smaller without coming up with some kind of radically different approach, assuming one exists.
>>
>>275662603
>VR arcade
THIS.
This is gonna bring so many people in.
>>
>>275662612
Oculus only applies existing technology developed in other fields. It doesn't contain any new untested technology.

Please go back to reddit and shill there.
>>
>>275663007
Been done in the 90s. Literally nobody cared.
>>
>>275623201
Except I have tried it (because one of my poor friends bought a dev kit) and it was a gimmick like 3D.
It has potential though. It needs to be accompanied by a unique means of control. If it remains to be a screen attached 2 inches from our eyes it's kinda pointless.
>>
>>275663007
If the headsets themselves are only a couple hundred dollars then what's the point? You might as well be at home playing.
>>
>>275662603
Yeah, VR revitalizing the concept of the arcade seems like a thing that could happen. Especially controller-wise.
>>
>>275626056
The screen takes up almost your entire field of view if you don't sit at the very back when you see a stereoscopic film. Which uses the same methods for 3D. This is a step up with it tracking your head motions, but its still not that great. Improved, but not that amazing. I've used one before. A prototype one, and I'm not sure how much they have changed, but it really wasn't that great.

And when I watching a game or movies. I don't see the rest of the world. I get sort of tunnel vision. Where yeah everything else is technically there, but I'm not really made aware of it. The taking up the whole view only really matters if you can't get immersed otherwise. Which a lot of people can.
>>
>>275663270
Because the experience was shit, this isn't.
>>275663454
Just to get people interested, having a VR station at an arcade could be cool.
>>275663161
And that combined technology has made something with is a completely new experience.
>>
>>275663454
VR controllers like that one omnidirectional quasi-treadmill are sort of huge, and you may not want one in your living room.
Plus, you need a pretty beefy PC to run VR games with high-fidelity graffix, don't you?
>>
>>275663598
I've got a couple main projects that sound fun.

One is an environment in which people are rigged to robotic arms coming from the floor and ceiling. Kind of like the cockpit in Pacific Rim. this allows you to do things like run, jump, and do accurate and dextrous like pilot a giant robot like in Pacific rim or jump around like the hulk, all while relatively stationary

the other is a barren room couple with an apparatus on the arms and legs that give resistance to the user as they touch virtual objects, simulating the object being there. Kind of like the Holo-Deck from Star Trek. This, along with a giant, omni-directional treadmill will make it so that you and even a group of people can walk in a simulated environment and interact with things in the virtual world. You could do shit like go on a fantasy adventure with friends or pretend you're the avatar and throw rocks or some shit at an opponent.
>>
>>275663270
It was absolutely terible and the hardware costs were around $300000
>>
>>275662982
There's been a few ideas like that. I think wrap-around displays might help shorten the distance needed for the lens to work.

Beside, I'm not talking only about the hardware element. The software support and control schemes are just as important and they're moving things along pretty well already.

>>275663161
>Oculus only applies existing technology developed in other fields.

Do you realize how retarded that sounds? ALL TECHNOLOGY is developed that way. Do you think they hire Doc Brown to pop out and get their future tech, so it would count as something new?
>>
>>275664163
Hadn't thought about a treadmill setup. That would be crazy. I'd pay to try that out.
>>
>>275630159
dipshit, contacts are fucking shit
>>
>>275664565
>One is an environment in which people are rigged to robotic arms coming from the floor and ceiling
Do you think that's feasible? How much does your average industrial robot arm cost?
I mean, I've entertained that exact same thought, Pacific Rim and all, but I'm not planning on actually turning it into reality.
>>
>completely new experience
except all the VR headsets before it

Keep dreaming. The market doesn't actually want this crap. The markets wants quick and easily accessible games that don't require strapping a $300+ peripheral to your face.
>>
File: dsc_0665.jpg (938 KB, 2304x1536) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
dsc_0665.jpg
938 KB, 2304x1536
I tried it at ComicCon NY this year and noticed that the demo I played was a tad grainy in terms of visuals.

Are all the games you play on it like that or was it just a bad demo?
>>
>>275664816
>except all the VR headsets before it
Which were all shit had horrendous lag, incredibly low fov, and costs thousands.
Just stop trying so hard to be cynical.
>>
>>275664623
There's even a company that's developing gun-shaped controllers that simulate recoil by slinging around weights inside the thing. That seems like it could make for a really satisfying zombie splatter game or something.
>>
>>275623201
well there are no publoc demoes for the general public
im not wasting money on a devkit and people can only try them at conventions and VIP events
>>
>>275664875
That might have been the actual resolution of the screen you've been seeing. If you used a DK2, then the consumer version will probably have less of it, because it'll use a higher resolution display.
Thread replies: 464
Thread images: 57
Thread DB ID: 26627



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.