[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Games whose gameplay and content are so amazing that you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 80

File: lotp.jpg (121KB, 1280x992px) Image search: [Google]
lotp.jpg
121KB, 1280x992px
ITT: Games whose gameplay and content are so amazing that you completely ignore the shitty graphics.
>>
>>275506387
>Games whose

Also Thief's graphics are far from shitty
>>
>>275506481
>Also Thief's graphics are far from shitty
This. OP is either retarded or never played the game and just wants to fit in
>>
File: ss2 on retrorig.png (457KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ss2 on retrorig.png
457KB, 1024x768px
I wouldn't call the graphics "shitty", more like dated. Still, the sheer amount of content, numerous play styles and the atmosphere all form this superb experience I couldn't put down once I started. I found the audio design to work brilliantly and create a good chunk of the mood, again showing that sounds > graphics in horror games. Still, the blocky graphics kinda fit the game's style as well;
I really hate those "hi-poly" 3D model replacement mods, since they make things look so... cartoony. Plasticy and out of place.
>>
Dark engine is great.
>>
>>275506702
>>275506481

I don't give games a free pass based on age. Something might have been great "for its time" but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be objectively compared to something new based on how advanced it is. If I had to do that with graphics, I would have to do that with gameplay too, and consider Thief 2's stealth mechanics to be equal to Splinter Cell Conviction's stealth mechanics, when the former is objectively more advanced than the latter.
>>
>>275506702

>ignore shitty graphics

you played this game when it came out? I was blown away
>>
>>275507128

underage confirmed
>>
>>275506481
>>275506702

Take off your nostalgia goggles. I love the Thief games, the mechanics are excellent, the atmosphere is excellent, the world building is excellent, but there's no denying the visuals aged poorly.
>>
>>275507154

No I meant today. Because I'm replaying the Thief series right now. I was blown away by the rain effects and colored lightmaps back in 2000 as well, but I don't let nostalgia elevate some aspect of a game above modern equivalents that are objectively more advanced. I would never try to make the case that the fully dynamic lighting in Thief Deadly Shadows is somehow equal with the static lightmaps of Thief 2 just because TDS is a newer game. Pixel lighting is more advanced than vertex lighting. Just like Thief stealth mechanics are more advanced than Dishonored's. Which are more advanced than Pac-Mans. Which are more advanced than Metal Gear Solid's.
>>
File: Deadly-Premonition-coffee.png (304KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
Deadly-Premonition-coffee.png
304KB, 640x359px
The graphics are bad, the animation are bad, the fucking driving is bad, the gameplay is bad.
But the story is too good.
>>
>>275507128
>and consider Thief 2's stealth mechanics to be equal to Splinter Cell Conviction's stealth mechanics

I don't know how you measure that criteria, maybe in the sense that Sam has a lot of tools at his disposal, but the SC games are so easy that any depth of mechanics is wasted.

>implying Chaos Theory isn't the apex of the series
>>
>>275507324
visuals don't age though, your taste aged poorly
>>
File: Deus Ex.jpg (131KB, 362x450px) Image search: [Google]
Deus Ex.jpg
131KB, 362x450px
This one for sure.

Really looking forward to Deus Ex:Revision. Modders say it should be out within 10 weeks.
>>
>>275507593
>I don't know how you measure that criteria

Just based on how intricately the stealth is simulated. Thief and SC:Chaos Theory have complicated multi-factor simulations of visibility and audibility and AI that have a long memory and advanced behaviors based on what they have experience. SC: Conviction has binary visibility with distance-based static detection timer and very simple two-state audibility, and even simpler 3-state AI.
>>
I honestly can't think of a single game where I thought the graphics were bad.

Any game I play, no matter how old, still looks appealing to me. If I play Doom, the game is semi colourful and it looks nice to me. If I play goddamn daikatana, it still looks fantastic to me. Everything is very clear to see, and everything is nice and sharp.

Even games with muddy textures are not something that I turn away from. I don't really compare games to real life. I just see them as games. Why should muddy textures make me think the game looks bad?

That's just me anyway. Most people would think the games I mentioned would look pretty bad if they came out today.

Can anyone tell me a game they think have terrible graphics?
>>
>>275507728
http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision/videos/enemy-within-conversation-music

hnnng
>>
File: stalker2.jpg (691KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
stalker2.jpg
691KB, 1600x1200px
To be fair though, the cutscenes are done in a way that looks way better than today's cinematics.
>>
>>275507920

...contiued

And if I had to take the old 2000's graphics of Thief 2 and the newer 2010's graphics of SC:Conviction and say that they're equal and one can't be more advanced than the other, I could not make any exception with the gameplay mechanics either. I would have to say that the shitty arcade stealth mechanics of Conviction are exactly as good as the immersive simulation stealth mechanics of Thief 2, just like the static-lit low-res graphics with max polycount of 2048 per frame are exactly as good as Unreal Engine 3. No thanks. Graphics age. Gameplay seems to age backwards.
>>
>>275508162
Mostly are games with bad use of 3D on early stages.
There was a couple of them which they did a very awful job at it and now the new TV'n'shit, you can't sell well there.
Also most of the problem are the envoriment.
I can't stand some levels of Die By The Sword or the jungle of first Tomb Raider for example.
>>
>>275508162
Assassin's Creed Unity
>>
File: 1339427267989.png (242KB, 408x674px) Image search: [Google]
1339427267989.png
242KB, 408x674px
>>
>>275507920
>>275508457

You kind of lost me here, you spelled out how SC:C's mechanics are shallower, then said it's the same as the more advanced mechanics from older games?

Are you arguing that the simpler newer system produces results that are the same as the older more complex system, or what?

As far as graphics, I don't disagree, Thief has visually aged poorly but the atmosphere, audio, and mechanics are still excellent
>>
>>275506387
Half Life 1
I don't give a shit, past the first few levels is on of the funnest games I have ever played. Past the area where the soldiers first appear is really fucking fun.
>>
>>275507454
OHHH BURN
>>
>>275508162
>Can anyone tell me a game they think have terrible graphics?

Well you spent the first part of your post explaining how you have powerful nostalgia goggles or rose tinted glasses or something, so it's a little pointless to say "This game looks bad", you'll just reply "It looks good to me." but here goes:

EverQuest, Silent Hill 1, and almost every 3D PS1 game including Metal Gear Solid.
Sure the visuals work, sure you can get into it and overlook the visuals, sure it looks a lot better in motion than in still images, but all in all it's very boxy and the textures are very low resolution.
>>
>>275508635
That would imply it had graphics to start with.
>>
File: Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg (57KB, 339x470px) Image search: [Google]
Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg
57KB, 339x470px
>>
>>275508947

I don't see how I could have nostalgia goggle for games I never played as a kid. Heck, my first console was a PS2. My first PC game was the orange box.

But even those games you mentioned just absolutely fine to me. For example, silent hill and MGS, while they have low resolutions and are very blocky, I don't see this blockyness as a bad thing. And the low resolution sort of gives the impression of more fluid gameplay, to me, since things seem to move a lot more thanks to the jagged edges.

Once again, I'm not saying that these games actually have good graphics by todays standards, I'm just giving my own view on it, which is that I don't see any game as having bad graphics. At least hardly any.

Maybe bad rats. That games graphics repulse me for some reason.
>>
>>275508712

No I was arguing against the notion that those games are equal. Newer games like Conviction have objectively more advanced graphics than old ones like Thief 2, and old games like Thief 2 have objectively more advanced gameplay mechanics than new ones like Conviction. And if I had to defend Thief 2's dated graphics against Conviction's more advanced ones just because "it had great graphics for its time" -then I would have no choice but to defend Conviction's less advanced mechanics against Thief 2's advanced mechanics for the same reason.

Oh and the shitty greyscale stealth indicator mechanic of Conviction isn't a graphics issue even though it does make the game look like shit. It's related to the shitty gameplay.
>>
>>275509114
Warband really doesn't look that bad though.
>>
>>275508276
Don't quite understand why some people consider STALKER's graphics "bad". Especially the lighting's superb, not to mention the texture work's damn good for such an old title running even older engine.
>>
>>275510082

Gun textures probably, they're pretty shitty and they're always there.
>>
>>275510082
They made some weird aesthetic choices in the first game with texture colors and things (the road, the guns, some other things) that are fixed by mods.
>>
>>275508276
I thought the cutscenes in SOC were some of the best I'd seen. Short and well directed.
>>
File: SoC vanilla MP5.jpg (216KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SoC vanilla MP5.jpg
216KB, 1920x1080px
>>275510443
>They made some weird aesthetic choices in the first game with texture colors and things
...such as?
Sure the models themselves look a tad dated, being aimed for ~2005 release initially, but never considered them "bad".
One thing I dislike with many mods are the totally muted, black shadows. Even in my screenshot above the clear weather should make the shadows more blue-tinted.
>>
File: Thief.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Thief.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>275506387
>dat gamma cranked up to the max

There goes all the atmosphere. Thief's lighting made its graphics look much better than it was.
>>
>>275511391

I haven't tired Seven Shades of Mercury since it was released. I couldn't play it back then because the game ran at about 2fps. That was before all these new engine updates and stuff though.

Damn the Hammerite Imperium campaign was hype back then. It's a shame that it died like that.
>>
MGS 1
>>
>>275511128
I think the worst offense in terms of stalker aesthetics is how the model quality makes the iron sights view on every gun makes it look like a JPG image thats just been slapped in the middle of your screen
>>
>>275510082
>texture work's damn good
not really, most of them are actually pretty ugly and low res (source; your pic). They're just very diligently normal mapped, and that honestly is more important to me than texture resolution, since it lends to immersion so much more.
>>
>>275513664

But the gameplay in MGS sucks. You play as a dot in a green maze in the corner of your screen, and if you run into other dots from the wrong direction, they will chase you for exactly 30 seconds and go back to normal. And sometimes there's some ridiculous animu shit going on in that other part of the screen.
>>
>>275514247
>playing with the radar on

beyond that, you can trivialize any game with a minimap to the same extent very easily, so your argument is neither thoughtful nor productive
>>
Final Fantasy VII
>>
File: Brood_War_box_art_(StarCraft).jpg (50KB, 416x500px) Image search: [Google]
Brood_War_box_art_(StarCraft).jpg
50KB, 416x500px
16 years later and no rts has surpassed it
>>
>>275514495
>It's not bad, you just have to ignore certain parts of the game what were obviously intentional
Yeah and Big Rigs isn't bad if you ignore basically everything.
>>
>>275506387
Thief is a shit game
>>
>>275507662
>Y-y-your taste is just bad!
>muh nostalgia graphics
>>
>>275514636
yeah because i really want to fight against the unit pathing more than my actual opponent
>>
Nethack.
>>
>>275514698
B8
>>
File: CANT WAKE UP.jpg (9KB, 220x229px) Image search: [Google]
CANT WAKE UP.jpg
9KB, 220x229px
Skyrim
Hahaha
Kill me
>>
Morrowind.
>>
>>275514781
unit pathing isnt that bad, its mostly dragoons that are retarded
>>
morrowind, shit animations, no physics, shitty graphics
>>
>>275506387
Of course the graphics are shitty, Thief 2 is 14 years old. It's like complaining that old movie is black and white.
>>
>>275514495

I wasn't trying to say that games are bad because of a minimap. I was saying that the gameplay of MGS basically is the minimap. It's not "tactical espionage action". It's a game that was 15 years obsolete in 1998. It's an simplistic arcadey monster maze game. The rest of the screen is just a fancy 3d reimagining of that little maze game in the corner.
>>
File: gnomus scope1.jpg (87KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
gnomus scope1.jpg
87KB, 800x500px
>>275513770
>I think the worst offense in terms of stalker aesthetics is how the model quality makes the iron sights view on every gun makes it look like a JPG image thats just been slapped in the middle of your screen
Are you by any chance talking about these scopes? Because they are modded, and yes they look awful.

The actual vanilla iron-sights are proper 3D models, and the scopes cover your whole screen, but funnily enough allow you to still see MORE than with these bad Gnomus Scopes mods.
>>
eh, the only thing about about thief that stands out graphically is the lack of skeletal animation style which didn't exist in 3D modeled video games until Half-Life.

But the game looks fine, really.
>>
File: klabcap2.png (8KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
klabcap2.png
8KB, 320x200px
>>275508162
Seriously, there's no way to call the assets of this game beautiful. The engine, however ...
>>
>>275508947
>EverQuest
Oh man the graphics are terrible but I fucking love them. Fuck Luclin models.

Also HL1
>>
>>275516267

wtf are you talking about? Thief has skeletal animations. It was motion captured. The models themselves are really low poly though, because the Dark Engine had a really low maximum polycount bottleneck.
>>
>>275516267
and now you tell us how 3D models are supposed to be efficiently animated if not through skeletal animation
>>
>>275515783

If someone would remake King Kong except with access to modern special effecs tech, and would make the movie itself just as shitty as the original except with new visuals, would it not be okay to say that the new version is better?

Well of course it isn't. Peter Jackson did just that. New King Kong that as a movie is just as bad as the original, but has special effects that are a hundred years more advanced. And people won't admit that the original is objectively not as good.
>>
File: 1416874096304.jpg (111KB, 594x906px) Image search: [Google]
1416874096304.jpg
111KB, 594x906px
>>275515031
Gotta agree with this, even the artwork looks amazing
>>
>>275516920
Most critics consider the original to be the better version, because Jacksons has terrible pacing. Your entire argument hinges on the concept of modern effects to be inherently better, which is not necessarily the case.
>>
>>275506387
I'd write duke/shadow warrior/blood, but I don't think their graphics are half the charm.
>>
>>275517076
>Your entire argument hinges on the concept of modern effects to be inherently better, which is not necessarily the case.

I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that anyone could hold the opinion that some of the earliest attempts at greenscreening could even hope to live up to quality of what amateurs today can accomplish with After Effects and 5 minutes to spare. Old isn't always objectively worse, but in some cases it really, really is.

So my argument actually hinged on those movies being structurally identical and different special effects -wise. Which they aren't so sorry about that. Anyway, the point was that it's okay to describe something that is obsolete as worse in that area than something more advanced.
>>
>>275507324
They have not aged poorly, everything is still perfectly conveyed very clearly and crisply, and so has almost every game in this thread. Simply because it's very primitive and basic compared to complex modern graphics doesn't mean it has aged bad. Thief has aged fine, if you want a game that has aged poorly in graphics look at the original Metroid with repetitive rooms that are hard to distinguish between or Ultima Underworld with a tiny ass view distance. Or old games that have very limited resolutions, or games with low sprite counts causing flashing or low sprite counts making it hard to understand what is being conveyed.

You clearly do not understand aging and how it affects games, it's not just you thinking it looks shitty, aging is when the limited hardware or graphics actually hurts the gameplay or your ability to see things. Nearly every game listed in this thread have perfectly fine graphics that have not aged hardly at all if they have even a little.
>>
>>275517430

I'd say that I can't really completely ignore the graphical limitations of the Build Engine games because of how strongly those limitations impact the gameplay. You literally can't look up or down because the pseudo-3d does not support perspective distortion. And that is really a problem with a game with so much verticality and platforming in its level design.
>>
File: 1092692-psd3d023.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1092692-psd3d023.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
>>275506387
In a way I'd argue to fit the entire original wipEout trilogy into that category. The graphics aren't stellar at all. Tube-like tracks with very few details on the side and pop-in. However the gameplay might even beat wipEout HD itself
>>
File: 1154348056706.jpg (83KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1154348056706.jpg
83KB, 1280x1024px
>>275516903
Not him, but before skeletal animation, the models were animated literally by affecting vertex position. Many older titles, such as Resident Evil and Medievl, were animated like this, which is also why the bodies in those games are made out of visible "chunks" of polygons: it was easier to move big, solid parts, since you could just rotate and move then one by one.

It wasn't before DarkEngine and HL1 that the skeletal animation became a big thing. Heck it was one of the huge TECHNOLOGY things they advertized HL1 with.
>>
>>275517828
>some of the earliest attempts at greenscreening could even hope to live up to quality of what amateurs today can accomplish with After Effects and 5 minutes to spare
That's where you miss the point. Compare old stop motion with modern CGI. Compare matte painting with CGI backdrops. Compare scale models with CGI action.
>>
>thief 1
>at cregsprison
Can I skip this? This is so fucking boring.
>>
>>275518364
>the models were animated literally by affecting vertex position
That's what skeletal animation does. The skeleton is but a set of joints and connections. They translate directly into a scene graph and group transforms. The only thing new, that you do mention, is that HL1 and others managed to transform vertices that are otherwise still connected to the remaining model. That's usually avoided because it leads to fugly artifacts.
>>
File: Zerg_colony_(StarCraft).png (238KB, 375x281px) Image search: [Google]
Zerg_colony_(StarCraft).png
238KB, 375x281px
idk if anyone's posted this yet but this. A lot of people would probably not even try this because of how old it looks, but I actually like the style and the pixely look, I also grew up playing this on my brothers pc so it's super nostalgic.

> what's your fav race?
> zerg master race 4me
>>
>>275507531
you cannot handle my greatest coffee, traveler
>>
>>275513580

It's pretty great, though there are better FMs.
>>
>>275518909
Terran 4lyffe
>>
>>275518909
The only acceptable successor to StarCraft would have been in high resolution 2D
>>
File: the witcher 3.webm (1011KB, 960x540px)
the witcher 3.webm
1011KB, 960x540px
>>275506387
>>
majora's mask

game looks like ass homie
>>
>>275514781
it wasn't even that bad you fucking pleb. And the game's 16 years old, and is one of the most perfect rts's out there, I think it deserves more slack.
>>
>>275518792
>That's what skeletal animation does.
Yes, but before skeletal system was created, all that work had to be done manually, and in worst case scenario each frame had to be "captured" indivídually as well.

If you've ever done rigging in a 3D modeler, especially 3Ds Max, you know how bitch it is to assign individual dots to bones. Now think having to do that same work over and over again, posing the character's parts for individual shots, like in clay animation. That's the kind of shit devs had to deal with up until late 90s. It's just so common and automated (tweened motion, etc) nowadays, that people don't even think about it anymore. Same thing with other visual effects, like Z-buffering and perspective corrected textures.
>>
>>275519237
great action game, terrible RTS. Gave the genre a bad name for years. People still think strategy has something to do with micromanaging and high APM
>>
>>275507728
within six months.
>>
>>275518465
I'm not arguing any particular side here, but some of the old matte painting work is amazing.
>>
File: sc_highresolution.jpg (548KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
sc_highresolution.jpg
548KB, 1680x1050px
>>275519071
>>
>>275519113

>Dat combo at 0:07
>>
>>275519321
>Yes, but before skeletal system was created, all that work had to be done manually, and in worst case scenario each frame had to be "captured" indivídually as well.
wtf? You assign vertices to a node in the scene graph, then let the skeleton work out the transform. You do the assignment once, then just animate the skeleton. The concept of a skeleton or scene graph is OLD stuff, very old.

Z-Buffering is not a visual effect. Perspective correction was one of the first features done by the GPU and few bothered implementing it in software
>>
>>275519460
That's not high resolution, that's large display. It fucks with the viewport and makes the units hard to see.
>>
File: minecraft beautiful mountains.jpg (521KB, 1680x1003px) Image search: [Google]
minecraft beautiful mountains.jpg
521KB, 1680x1003px
>>
>>275519113
>DON'T MIND ME JUST PASSING THROUGH SPREADING THE WORD OF KARRAS DOO DE DOO
>>
File: BOXER.jpg (60KB, 340x473px) Image search: [Google]
BOXER.jpg
60KB, 340x473px
>>275519357
you should watch this korean. I think he solo'd like 9 guys at a tournament one time. And one time he beat a guy only with scv's at another tourny
>>
>>275519662
Nah. At least not anymore.
Minecraft could've been great, but the devs are cancer. If they had kept with the wonderful idea of building shit, instead of adding quarter-baked RPG elements to it, it would have been great.
>>
>>275519652
Yeah, it's too bad starcrafts graphics are the way they are, the best we're gonna get is just mods replacing the sprites in game and something like this. There isn't a whole lot you can do with 2d, mayn.
>>
>>275514636
>16 years later and no rts has surpassed it

Hello, what is:
- Tiberian Sun
- Red Alert 2
- C&C Zero Hour
- Age of Empires II
- Rise of Nations
>>
File: waltonsimons.png (271KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
waltonsimons.png
271KB, 500x488px
>>275507728
No, within six months.
>>
>>275506387
>never had decent internet
>couldn't play half life 1 until 2-3 years ago
>the game is amazing
the only part i didn't like was the opening in opposing force, i was forced to look at the soldier's mouth spazzing out for the entire scene
>>
>>275519662
nice ui, got any links?
>>
>>275520007
That's why I said the only acceptable successor. As in, something specifically made to be a new 2D StarCraft.
>>
>>275520128
It looks like the old John Smith texture pack.
>>
>>275519558
>You assign vertices to a node in the scene graph, then let the skeleton work out the transform. You do the assignment once, then just animate the skeleton
Yes, that's how it's been done for a while now.
BUT it did not become a widely used technique in game development before very lately. I've read several interviews and "Making Ofs" where devs have told about their pain with animating things back in the 90s.

For example Quake engines 1 through 3 did not have skeletal animation. They used per-vertex animation.
>>
>>275509689
It does look pretty shit
>>
>>275520060
>16 years later and no rts has surpassed it

Hello, IMO, these I think might come close to being equals with the legend that is sc1:
- Tiberian Sun
- Red Alert 2
- C&C Zero Hour
- Age of Empires II
- Rise of Nations

>fix'd it for you, np.
>>
>>275519526
>1! 1! 2! 3!
>ded

Best combo
>>
>>275511391
What fan mission is this?
>>
>>275520306
>They used per-vertex animation
I do not see how that would in any way work and maintain model consistency. The worst case I can imagine is vertex group animation on the dev machine, then stored as transformed vertices in the gama data, to be played back when needed.
Got any citations for that claim?
>>
>>275506387
you're waifu a shit
>>
>>275520191
yeah, fuck blizzard. They need to make a super starcraft 1 instead of coming out with shitty expansions for sc2 that only add campaigns and a couple new units per race, also wow needs to die, I've been waiting for warcraft 4 for too long. The least they could do is put the rts on it's own timeline so they can have that along with wow so neither of them fuck with each others lore. Also why have'nt they made a full on movie yet? They have better cutscenes then modern day pixar movies.
>>
>>275507728
It will be finalized within the week.
>>
>>275516127
Please be bait. No one can be this dilusional, like holy shit, man...
>>
>>275520823
Not sure if sarcastic or serious
>>
>>275509567
>it had great graphics for its time
Thief actually looked pretty rough for its time
>>
File: tzxds.jpg (714KB, 2368x1876px) Image search: [Google]
tzxds.jpg
714KB, 2368x1876px
some games never age
>>
>>275521197
about what?
>>
File: xcom ufo defense.jpg (29KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
xcom ufo defense.jpg
29KB, 407x405px
Pic related.

I skipped this when I was a kid and played it for the first time two years ago, at 30, after I got it in a steam gift exchange thread

I can say, without nostalgia goggles, that it is easily my favorite game of all time. The graphics look like shit smeared on the screen, and the UI is the most unintuitive I've ever seen. Everything else is fucking perfect enough that I don't even kind of care about the two shitty aspects.
>>
>>275521253
what game?
>>
>>275520306
>>275520608
I think Q3 had skellington animation.
Quake 1 and 2, on the other hand, just used a separate model for each frame. Or, rather, a separate set of vertex positions. That's why Quake 1's animations are like 5 FPS. Quake 2 had some kind of interploation (I think), and one of its side effects due to an error was the "jelly vertices" thing models did when animating.
>>
>>275521253
That style of graphics that Commandos, Desperadoes, Blitzkrieg, etc. are all timeless.
>>
>>275521332
newfag
>>
>>275521332
I would guess Desperados, but I could be wrong
>>
>>275521412
That makes sense, thanks
>>
File: 1302727588323.png (80KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
1302727588323.png
80KB, 407x405px
>>275521315
>>
>>275506387
HD Mod is neat, there is one for TG and TMA.
>>
>>275507324
i played thief 1 and 2 for the first time in 2013 and I thought the graphics were some of the best Id seen. the art is very solid
>>
File: thief_2012-06-07_00-15-17-58.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
thief_2012-06-07_00-15-17-58.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>275521573
It looks nice.
>>
>>275521576
Back at release Thief 1 was under attack for its underground sections, with repetitive textures and very little actual world detail. I remember a paper review back then, showing a sewer that was just a uniform hexagonal tube as far as you could see.
>>
>>275516127
Fucking nailed it. God damn, this is exactly how I feel about MGS
>>
>>275521692

Are there any bridges?
>>
>>275506387
>completely ignore the shitty graphics.

Literally every game ever. I don't care about graphics.
>>
>>275521176

I think it's you who's being delusional if you think MGS has any depth or complexity to its gameplay. It is an 80's game release in the late 90's. There's no getting around it. If you take away everything that people usually praise it for, like the cinematic storytelling with ridiculous anime characters and retarded dialogue, in other words, distill that game into its gameplay alone, it is that little maze game with the dots that you play in the corner map. It's ridiculously arcadey and simple. It is the pac-man of stealth games.
>>
File: potionseller.jpg (111KB, 500x714px) Image search: [Google]
potionseller.jpg
111KB, 500x714px
>>275518921

i demand the very best coffee sir
>>
>>275507662
>visuals don't age though

Yeah the CGI in titanic sure is good
>>
>>275514495
You make a very compelling point to kill the mini map, instantly. Sadly I'm not sure you're even aware of that.
>>
>>275521573
>there is one for TG and TMA
Wait, they finished the one for Thief 2?

>>275521734
That's a little silly. Ironically enough, Thief 2 had LESS level variety than the first one

I liked some of the underground sections in TDP
>>
>>275521789
Can you name the visually worst games you played, and why you consider them the visually worst games?
>>
File: esther0074.jpg (678KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
esther0074.jpg
678KB, 1920x1080px
>>275521789

Would you think that Dear Esther would be an even worse "game" if it looked as shit as it plays?
>>
>>275521692
Fakefactory pls
>>
>>275509114
Speaking of Warband, how does everyone feel about the new expansion?
I'm getting pretty fed up with the bugs but otherwise I suppose it's pretty good.
>>
File: 1211204433-00.jpg (21KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
1211204433-00.jpg
21KB, 460x215px
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 209x321px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 209x321px
>/thread
>>
>>275522162
I kind of want to agree, actually. The world model is surprisingly sparse and blocky and the texture tiling is extreme.
>>
>>275521957
Yes, they did. Check it out.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-2-hd-texture-mod
>>
>>275519871
Agreed. I hated everything added after and including the hunger bar, except redstone updates.
>>
File: tumblr_nb4rpigsYD1qc6cggo1_500.png (510KB, 500x530px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nb4rpigsYD1qc6cggo1_500.png
510KB, 500x530px
>>275521830
>>
>>275522397
redstones are one of the most annoying features in Minecraft, because they turned an interesting world model building thingy into an assembler for the ultra-obsessed
>>
File: vivat Romae.png (79KB, 1544x934px) Image search: [Google]
vivat Romae.png
79KB, 1544x934px
Textbook example.
>>
>>275522041
I personally liked Dear Esther, I feel like the only person on /v/ who did. I found the imagery pleasant, the style artistic, and the general mood haunting.

I know it's not a game so much as an interactive experience, but I don't think it deserves the aggression people seem to have for it.
>>
>>275522531
Apparently he's been working on the second one for about four years now. This time it's not in Visual Basic 5.
>>
>>275514948
I see your cry for help and I know your pain

Wanna have a beer or something
>>
>>275522504
But they're also something you can incorporate into your builds. They continued to add to the Minecraft purpose of building epic fortresses, unlike potions and experience points and enchantments, which essentially turn it into a weird attempt to recreate Dwarf Fortress' adventure mode and failing poorly.
>>
File: aztec empire.png (76KB, 1540x941px) Image search: [Google]
aztec empire.png
76KB, 1540x941px
>>275522691
Yep. It'll probably come out whenever Dorf Fort is finally finished.
Probably even longer than that for Newtonian Aurora.
>>
File: aang.png (489KB, 1162x875px) Image search: [Google]
aang.png
489KB, 1162x875px
>>275522575
I liked it as well, for those same reasons. Also seeing the ghosts watching you in the distance was generally unsettling.

We are going to get hounded now, but who cares.
>>
>>275507593
Shame chaos theory's pc port is so fucking wonky and the steam version doesnt include a manual.
>>
>>275522575
>I know it's not a game so much as an interactive experience, but I don't think it deserves the aggression people seem to have for it.
I think an aspect is protectionism. The program is "invading" the space of games, at least in the eyes of people that are offended by it. As you say, it's an interactive experience more so than a game. When it's being lumped together with the games though, some people fear it lowers the expectations regarding game rules and interactivity. Not trying to defend the reactions, just trying to explain them, to some degree.
>>
File: 1391541450432.jpg (146KB, 457x456px) Image search: [Google]
1391541450432.jpg
146KB, 457x456px
>say I consider music to be very important in video games
>a bunch of nostalgia and muh atmosphere autists agree with me, nobody is opposed

>say I consider graphics to be very important in VIDEO games
>OH MY GOD FUCKING UNDERAGE CODFAG I DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT GRAFICS LOOK HOW HARDCORE I AM
>>
>>275506917
Best Action-RPG ever. How I prayed for Mass Effect to have RPG system like this.
>>
>>275520601

see

>>275513580
>>
>>275522885
You burned that strawman really well! Go burn another one!
>>
Dammit /v/! Bad graphics are those that are really bad made, not dated graphics. Thief game had good graphics. Morrowind had really good graphics except for npc, that were really bad made. Skyrim textures at launch were SHIT.
>>
>>275507662
You are completely retarded. OP just said he loved the games, and you keep on railing about "shit taste lel". Also

>visuals don't age

Visuals age like milk, especially early games in the 3D era.
>>
>>275522041
I never played it and won't.

>>275521982
Probably the ones that have insane blur, lack of sharpness, DoF, glare yadda yadda. You know what I mean. Overdone bullshit that makes it hard to actually play and enjoy the game. I'm thinking Battlefield 3. Like I said graphics don't matter unless they annoy me and that's usually because of shitty overdone stuff. Not because of shitty textures. Although weapons that have shitty animations are a turn off.
>>
File: k240.png (25KB, 640x256px) Image search: [Google]
k240.png
25KB, 640x256px
Oh hello there, just being criminally underappreciated like usual.
No biggie.
>>
>>275523021
>early games in the 3D era
I dare you to tell me when that era is
>>
>>275506387
Clive Barker's Undead

Half-Life 1
>>
>>275506917
naaah, these are good graphics

this game aged well, unlike Thief
>>
>>275523208

After fully rendered perspective 3d graphics, before pixel shader graphics.
>>
>>275507728
this one doesn't have shitty graphics either

what are you all playing, Crysis 3?
>>
>>275522979

Fallacy fallacy
>>
>>275523330
these are modded graphics. Also, sci-fi environments tend to be easier than fantasy ones, because sci-fi has sterile walls and floors and stuff, while fantasy is all grown and natural.
>>
>>275523450
what's fully rendered perspective 3D graphics? Perspective projection of polygons in computer games has been done since the late 70s. Before the dominance of hardware rasterizers non-polygonal 3D was actually feasible and in parts even preferred though.
>>
>>275508958
technically it does, since even the ascii version just uses an ascii tileset, not raw text
>>
I can always ignore the graphics because they have nothing to do with the gameplay.
>>
File: 2014-11-24_00005.jpg (368KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-24_00005.jpg
368KB, 1920x1080px
warband baby
>>
>>275521412
>I think Q3 had skellington animation.
It didn't. It was still using the same per-vertex animation with much more improved tweening system for smoother transitions.

The reason Quake 3's animations were of higher quality is because the vertex coordinates weren't compressed (quantized) so aggressively. Quake 1 and 2 stored vertex coordinates with 8 bits per component (each of X, Y, Z), while Quake 3 used 16 bits per component. Quake 1 and 2's aggressive compression led to an ugly effect known as "vertex swimming".

Also, Quake 3's animations were created with more keyframes, generally 20 to 30 per second, whereas all animations in Quake and Quake 2 were created at 10 frames per second. But that's not nearly as noticeable as the compression
>>
>>275518048
Thief looks like shit in modern PC's

Half-Life 1, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, they all look, far, far, better than that game
>>
> " ITT: Games whose gameplay and content are so amazing that you completely ignore the shitty graphics. "
>Thread is literally praising these games
>Autists still need to jump and defend the shit graphics of games over a decade old that now look like minecraft
>"You're just a pleb who can't appreciate the effort the developers put into making the player be able to count the polygons on a character face"

We all like them but you took it too far. Niggers who get THIS assblasted usually are those who actually didn't play the games and want to sound like elitists
>>
>>275523208
Mid to late 90s
>>
>>275523484
I've already seen people comment how games made in 2009 look dated. It's pretty fucking amazing, since I really haven't seen any major steps up in game graphics after 2004
>>
>>275506387
YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME!
>>
>>275523847
>graphics have nothing to do with gameplay
that is not always true you know
>>
>>275523892
>Every single unit looks the same and have identical stats the mod.
>>
>>275523924

Thief 2 looks better than System Shock 2.
>>
>>275519460
this looks so good

Hell, I may give SC1 a try
>>
>>275519526

>whoosh!
>tap!
>taptaptaptap!

>ded
>>
This is kinda stupid premise since graphics never bother me
If I have just played some new game and then go back to FPS from 2002 it looks weird at first but it takes like hour to "adjust" myself for the graphics even if the game is shitty
>>
>>275522162
At least the game seems to handle model swaps really well regardless of poly count.
>>
File: diablo 22.jpg (356KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
diablo 22.jpg
356KB, 2048x1536px
timeless
>>
>>275522531

is this even a game?
>>
What is cs 1.6
>>
>>275523929
Yeah, and all money now go into graphics, not gameplay or replayability. Enjoy shitty new age of casual gaming.
>>
>>275521253
nice
>>
>>275522914
Neato, thanks
>>
>>275522839

>people find spreadsheets entertaining

is this real life?
>>
File: GTA_2.jpg (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GTA_2.jpg
76KB, 800x600px
This game came out in the same year as SoulCalibur, Silent Hill or Metal Gear Solid.
>>
File: sol.png (143KB, 1917x999px) Image search: [Google]
sol.png
143KB, 1917x999px
>>275524434
It is indeed a game.
>>
>>275523987

>after 2004

Far Cry was in 04. Crysis was in 07. There is a very appreciable leap.

Now after that your point starts making sense.
>>
>>275522504
the worst fucking thing to happen to Minecraft is the Nether World

You culd take it off the game and leave the rest of it as it is, and I'd like it

But the Nether slows down my laptop so much that I don't want to play Minecraft anymore

If it weren't for that, it would be a good, solid game
>>
>>275524431
Which mod are you using?

I tried one but I got massive graphic issues due to trees and shit.
>>
>>275524709
There's a good bunch of games that have come out since 2007 and look better than vanilla Crysis. The stuff you're thinking of are screenshots full of mods making the game run at 10 fps.
>>
>>275514636

Total War is way better and maybe not a perfect comparison since it has the Civ aspect to it as well.

Starcraft still gud though.
>>
File: Do it for Her.jpg (335KB, 1920x1371px) Image search: [Google]
Do it for Her.jpg
335KB, 1920x1371px
Put 65 hours into this game in about 2 playthroughs.

I went so long without knowing the joy.
>>
>>275506481
"Whose" can refer to both a person or a thing.
>>
Freelancer
>>
>>275523545
ok, but the original System Shock 2 also has acceptable graphics for today standards
>>
>>275525241
It does, in part due to the mentioned scifi effect. You only need one large textured polygon to make a metal wall. You need way too many to make the wall of a log cabin
>>
Never played 3 since I knew I was too much of a nostalgiafag and wouldn't have anything that wasn't D2.

Is it too late to try it? Is the game dead? Are there any more expansions planned? Is it tru they removed the stat system?
>>
>>275523004

>look at a distant mountain in Skyrim
>damn nigga dat actually looks pretty good
>walk up to it
>the snow textures are just little white pixels on flat, blurry rocks
>gg Bethesda
>>
>>275525241
>>275525357

There's also the fact that the combination of the strange low-polygon enemy models and the uncanny motion-captured animations make the game look unsettling, which is very appropriate for a horror game.
>>
>>275525694
ever seen "distant" mountains in skyrim? They're usually just a couple hundred yards away
>>
Starcraft 1, x-com series, ecstatica 1 & 2 (horrible graphics) dungeon keeper 1, age of empires 1&2, warcraft 1&2, portal 1 & 2, warsow, quake 1, 2 & 3, Day of the tentacle, GTA 1&2, THPS 1&2, Dota
>>
>>275524878

I have vanilla Crysis on my PC. It still looks quite nice.

The textures and models are somewhat dated but the shaders are still top notch.

I'm not saying it hasn't been surpassed. Metro Last Light is noticeably better. However, considering how long the last console generation lasted and held widespread advancement back the games that blow away the first Crysis are very few.
>>
>>275525816

Well yeah, we all know TES worlds are actually pretty small and they make up for it with inaccurate scaling and the run speed of a man trapped in molasses.
>>
>>275525610
D2, anon.

Stay with D2
>>
>>275525909
>ecstatica 1 & 2 (horrible graphics)
You what?! Ecstatica was gorgeous! Doing EVERYTHING with ellipses was just pure genius

>dungeon keeper 1
The crooked model style was fantastic

>Day of the tentacle
timeless cartoon graphics, unless you're anal about resolution

>GTA 1&2
Like ecstatica, the visuals were a design choice. Like ecstatica, an excellent design choice. It kept the whole game consistently pretty.
>>
>>275526374
>ecstatica
hard to find good screenshots of ecstatica 1, but yeah, the entire game, every single model, every character, is built from ellipses, thousands of them. It's a way to deal with the low polygon limitations back then (just look at the characters in early Alone in the Dark games) and gives the game a very consistent and unique art style, which also clashes interestingly with its rather brutal content
>>
File: redneck_rampage.jpg (171KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
redneck_rampage.jpg
171KB, 800x600px
>>275517430
>>275518107

Speaking of Build Engine games, I don't understand why people seem to hate Redneck Rampage so much. Sure some of its level design is cryptic as fuck but I like the setting and stupid redneck references.

Though I guess people liked Duke Nukem 3d just for the level design anyway, so if you make a same kind of game with the same engine and have fucked up level design, I suppose the hate is justified then.
>>
File: gta2-2.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gta2-2.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>275526374
There's nothing pretty about GTA, and GTA 2 isn't much better unless it's night time. The visual style really comes together with the night time lighting.
>>
>>275520361
Blizzard drones everybody.
>>
>>275526948
>I don't understand why people seem to hate Redneck Rampage so much
In my experience people don't hate it so much as they are wildly indifferent to it. The market back then was terribly oversaturated with generic raycaster FPSes, Redneck Rampage was one of them. It got a little annoying
>>
>>275527054

GTA2 has a nice art style I think. There aren't many games with 1920's retro-futuristic dystopian setting. You have fusion power plants, cyborg gangsters and cars that look like A-Fords.
>>
>>275527054
>There's nothing pretty about GTA
To you, maybe. I love the topdown view, it was a really smart mechanism to make the city 3D and the variable distance camera helped a lot to deal with the otherwise awfully short viewing distance typical for topdown games. It also lead to a lot of sprites that are to this day very distinct.
I love the topdown view so much that Chinatown Wars is my favorite GTA game, next to GTA 1 and, long before any of the over-the-shoulder GTAs
>>
>>275527054
GTA 2 is THE SHIT with multiplayer.
>>
File: 2013-10-07_00002.jpg (315KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2013-10-07_00002.jpg
315KB, 1920x1080px
>>275506481
>>275506702
Okay faggots, Thief 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games in the world, and I can safely say Thief 2 has the best level design out of any stealth game I have ever played, and some of the best gameplay.

The game is beutiful in what they had to deal with at the time with limitations, they really make shit as gorgeous as possible.

But come on, its graphics are SHIT, compared to even HL1.

That doesnt mean its not amazing looking, but graphically its dated.

The animations/models are the worst offenders.

Regardless you only need to play Trail of Blood and not be blind to see just how amazing looking Thief can be.
>>
>>275527516

Dark Engine had some retarded polygon rendering limitations.

NewDark fixes it but I don't know if we'll see any fan missions that really push what it can do.
>>
>>275527323
>1920's retro-futuristic dystopian setting
What a bunch of fucking buzzwords. The car designs seem to be inspired by The Fifth Element more than anything else, and parts of the game content imply that it's set in 1999, so at the time it was simply an overdrawn alternate present.
>>
>>275527516
>The animations/models are the worst offenders.

The models are shit because of the extremely low poly limit, but the animations aren't bad. It's all motion captured. Thief 3 actually did not have motion captured animations so its animations weren't nearly as lifelike.
>>
>>275525116

i don't even notice how old the game is since space is very simple stuff, looks nice even now. plus the faces and animations and stuff are actually pretty cool. man, gotta reinstall this
>>
File: HighAllard_small.jpg (1KB, 100x78px) Image search: [Google]
HighAllard_small.jpg
1KB, 100x78px
>>275527635
>The car designs seem to be inspired by The Fifth Element more than anything else
>>
>>275519662
>Have urge to play Minecraft modded because fuck vanilla
>Can't ever find a good place to call home
>30 minutes and a few random seeds later still can't find any good looking areas and give up on playing altogether
>>
File: Ref.jpg (491KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Ref.jpg
491KB, 1200x1500px
>>275527635
That helmet looks straight out of 1999. Impossible to mistake for a WW2-era helmet with aviator goggles
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (460KB, 1024x1590px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
460KB, 1024x1590px
>>275527847
>>
>>275527803
Animations were shit dude, Cutscenes were gorgeous if thats what you mean.

But guards and monsters moved like robotic toys.

Yeah I know the polylimit was the issue as well, those guys easily could have done amazing things without limitations.

At least they put all their effort into level design and gameplay when they couldnt on fancy models.
>>
>>275527892
try out terra firma craft
>>
>>275528038
Yeah, let's tie up a game setting by how the police helmets look, and not by radio DJs talking about the impeding millennium.
>>
>>275528078
Notice the huge radiator grill? I do, on the top one, and any damn luxury car from the early 20s and 30s. Hell, it's a chopped top, typical for a hot rod, which, wait for it, is usually a heavily modified car from the 20s - 40s
>>
>>275528218
wait what? Ok, NOBODY said the game takes place in 1920. They said the game takes place in a fictional future, that is inspired by the 1920s. So, of course the DJs will talk about the millenium. It's like Steampunk
>>
File: tr22.jpg (106KB, 640x480px)
tr22.jpg
106KB, 640x480px
>>
>>275506387
>implying these grafix aren't awesome
>>
>>275508947
nah i agree with him. when im judging a games aesthetics i can only really judge the art direction in general, im kinda blind to technical limits.
>>
>>275529130
Does that go both ways? Also blind to technical achievements, or for-the-day groundbreaking stuff?
>>
File: Map.png (267KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
267KB, 5000x5000px
>>
>>275523129
That doesn't look bad at all. Why do you think it belongs in this thread?
>>
>>275529604
Since when does /v/ support images that big?
>>
>>275528580
I totally forgot TR2 still used the TR1 model. I did not forget that, compared to TR1, it was very bland, despite having a handful of memorable locations. Just too little tomb raiding and too much people shooting.
>>
File: 1356942734670.jpg (1MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1356942734670.jpg
1MB, 5000x5000px
>>275529909
Years and years and years.
>>
>>275529909
4chan's image size limit has been 5000x5000 for many years
>>
>>275523484
Deus Ex looked crappy in 2000. It was using a really dated engine even back then. People overlooked it because it was amazing, but even by the standards back then, it looked pretty bad.
>>
>>275528580
those painfully slow tank controls, though.

mario 64 and ocarina of time have aged well. TR hasn't.
>>
>>275529407
after an hour, kind of. im loving the new develompents in facial motion capture that have been happening but besides that i guess so.
>>
>>275525116
>>275527821
Once you start thinking about it, trade lanes would be a maintenance nightmare.

Planets spin around the sun at different speeds, so they must be at a constant shift.
And I did some calculations out of fun, You would either have to have several thousands of them or have huge spacings between them to connect planets together.
>>
>>275530441
was refering to old games. Like when you see dynamic lighting that was unheard of for its time period, do you treat it like a limitation, because it's crude vertex lighting, or like an achievement, because it's dynamic when everyone else was static?
>>
>>275529604
this isn't dorf fort, right?
>>
File: Systemshock2box.jpg (25KB, 250x288px) Image search: [Google]
Systemshock2box.jpg
25KB, 250x288px
>>
>>275530435
mario 64 and OoT have NOT aged well
>>
>>275526948
I always liked how the levels in RR were so "realistic", as in they consisted of buildings with real rooms that had a purpose: bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms, kitchens, storage closets etc.. It felt like a real world that people actually lived in.
>>
File: circumcised.png (592KB, 1024x943px) Image search: [Google]
circumcised.png
592KB, 1024x943px
>>275507531
you made me start watching a lets play of this

like it a lot so far

thanks
>>
>>275530693
No.
>>
>>275531336

Yeah that's what I like about the levels too. The only problem is how insane some of the navigation is. Almost every level consists of at least one instance of having to find an extremely well hidden secret to continue. Even the very first level. Duke Nukem 3d always had an obvious crack in a wall to indicate that you can blow a hole through it with explosives. The first time you need to do that in RR, there's a tiny little hole that you would need to know to look in order to find. I still haven't figured out how to get through the last level of the first episode in RR, and I always end up noclipping through that one door.
>>
>>275506387
waifuwars.jpg
>>
>>275527635
You do realize a large number of cars in GTA 2 such as Trance-Am or Benson are almost directly based on real life classic cars?
>>
>>275519203
>all those conflicting enviornments in the main field

Only thing that really annoyed me. I guess it's there to easily show where the new dungeons are, but fuck if it doesn't look odd.
>>
Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Halo 1, Oblivion
>>
File: 1409517068836.gif (306KB, 960x336px) Image search: [Google]
1409517068836.gif
306KB, 960x336px
Dominions series
I don't think there's a multiplayer game that is equally deep, dickish and fun.
>>
>>275533193
>dickish
Are there actually good MMOs/multiplayer games that are genuinely friendly and cooperative?
>>
>>275531107
Mario 64 has aged like fucking fine wine.

Are you serious? It still outdoes so many fucking platformers since then, its controls are as solid as ever.

Why do you think Mario64 was by far the most speedran game? Its fucking incredible with its controls/physics.
>>
File: 2014-12-12_00010.jpg (347KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-12_00010.jpg
347KB, 1360x768px
>>275508276
With a few texture and model packs it can look better than most modern games though, in all fairness.
>>
>>275532334
Tell me about it. I was stuck for the longest time at the sawmill(?) because there was a key sitting randomly in a dark corner of an enclosed courtyard that you have to swim through some pipes to get to. It's so easy to miss because it doesn't make sense for a key to be there and there's nothing to draw your attention to that one specific corner.
>>
>>275533371
You don't seem to understand.
The game is FFA by default and it's freeform diplomacy, coupled with the ridiculous power of many spells allows betrayals on a grand scale not possible in other games.
>>
>>275528580
Goddamn I hated that level and never progress in TR2, gunfights boiled down to stationary slug-fests as you couldn't dodge gunfire.
>>
>>275506481

Come on, even at the time it came out it looked dated compared to games like Half-Life and Unreal.
>>
>>275533803
>You don't seem to understand.
I understand just fine, and I respect that game, no problem. I just realized that for lots of MMOs out there it's considered a good quality if it allows to be dickish. So it got me wondering if somewhere out there are games that discourage dickish behavior. Not prohibiting it or anything, but just making it ... well, not part of the game.
>>
>ctrl+f
>no Arx Fatalis

ARX FATALIS. RENEWED MY FAITH IN GAMING
>>
>>275534019
Most modern MMOs I assume, since the number of game mechanics keeps decreasing.
The shit you could do in Ultima Online...
>>
>>275534030
man, that was a fucking good game.
>>
>>275534392
>Most modern MMOs I assume, since the number of game mechanics keeps decreasing.
No, they just try to limit or cutdown on dickery. They're still openly PvP and encourage competitive hostility between players
>>
>>275534030
Arx Fatalis has pretty much fine graphics though. The only things that really stands out as bad are some weapons and the talking animation for goblins (which is silly as shit so I like it anyway).
>>
>>275522129
Warband titles and bugs on release are to be expected.
>>
>>275534515
Open PvP is a dying breed.
It's not a thing how it used to be in times past.
>>
>>275534710
fair enough. Or, sad for those that prefer PvP. I'm still just wondering about games that openly discourage rude behavior
>>
>>275506387
I played this game so much as a kid.
>>
>>275535189
that's a pretty advanced engine already. The earlier X-Wing and Tie Fighter games looked much "worse" (frankly, this one doesn't look bad at all)
>>
File: who needs jumping.png (572KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
who needs jumping.png
572KB, 1280x800px
>>275506387
Motherfucking DOOM
>>275514808
>Nethack
This too.
Literally just letters, for anyone that doesn't know the game.
>>
>>275514808
Imagination best graphics.
>>
>>275531107
Played both recently. Nothing wrong with them.
>>
>>275525610

I'd slightly recommend the current state of Diablo 3 if you want to try something new. The combat is flashier and smoother that it's peers. However the "RPG-side" (character building) is lacking. Itemization was improved vastly, but it never hits the level of Diablo 2. Story is pure shit though with plenty of retcons (All the evils you fought in Diablo 2 + LoD are contained in a Black Soulstone).

However I would try out Grim Dawn instead. Basically Titan Quest 2.0.
>>
>>275508635
>Autism Fortress
>>
>>275522213
But that game is shit.
>miss
>miss
>miss
>fun
>good
>>
File: 1408413930229.jpg (119KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1408413930229.jpg
119KB, 720x720px
>>275536079
stay out
>>
>>275536105
People still use this argument?
>>
>>275536079
God fucking damn you are so funny and clever.
>>
>>275522885
That thumbnail made it look like
the girl in white was bent over the couch showing her spread ass

theinternethasruinedme.jpg
>>
>>275536856
How fucking new are you?
>>
>>275536856
hownew.ru
>>
File: chryssalid5.jpg (152KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
chryssalid5.jpg
152KB, 1024x576px
>>275521315
Agreed. I played this game after the remake and I still loved it. The graphics didn't actually bother me too much (with the exception of playing "find the muton). The interface was a product of the file limitations of the time, though, and I'm glad when I played it I had OpenXCOM to elevate it to a playable level
>>
>>275536856
stop posting
>>
RED FAAAACTION!11!!
>>
>>275537462

Too bad that the game doesn't utilize the awesome destruction engine enough. If the game only had infinite ammunition on explosives.
>>
>>275537642

>He doesn't abuse the detpack exploit.
>>
MnB
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Severance
Hidden and Dangerous 2
Dragons Dogma
>>
>>275537859

Please elaborate.
>>
>>275537914
>3 of those games look decently good even by today's standarts
Nice list
>>
>>275538679

Throw down a detpack and pick it up. Infinite detpacks.
>>
>>275537462

If you were able to play this with four player split screen, this would have been the new Goldeneye.
>>
File: 5553.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
5553.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>>275538717
Which 3, not that guy but the only one that gets a pass from me is probably Dragons Dogma. I love the game but look a this.
>>
>>275536856
pls go away
>>
>>275521834
I know its a late reply but...
>Mfw my brother was the one who animated about half of the people sliding off the ship
H-he did his best.
>>
File: outcast.jpg (111KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
outcast.jpg
111KB, 1280x1024px
I still quite like the graphics, but in high resolutions you're in for a world of hurt
>>
>>275539078
M&B
Republic Commando
DD
Those games aged really fucking well, maybe except for DD because it was a pastgen game and it didn't have much time to age
>>
>>275518224
My fucking nigga
>>
File: g-police.jpg (103KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
g-police.jpg
103KB, 1024x768px
dat render distance
>>
File: Ring1.jpg (305KB, 1682x983px) Image search: [Google]
Ring1.jpg
305KB, 1682x983px
>>
>>275506387
Pretty much all of the old games that are hailed as classics have graphics that you can get by.

HL1 is still an amazing game, better than a shitton of games coming out now.
>>
>>275539504
Mount and blade looks like shit though, the limbs are attatched to the torso like lego pieces and the overall graphics are pretty weak. Granted, RC has aged pretty well, better than I remember.
>>
>>275539416
You do not play Outcast on high resolutions. The game's made for something like 640x480 or so. It has antialiasing and depth of field to make up for it
>>
>>275533418
GAH, HOW HORRIFYING.
>>
>>275535601
Just saying that story is pure shit is an understatement.

The whole thing with Tyrael becoming mortal, Leah story, SUPER SOULSTONE out of nowhere that can contain all the evils, Nephalem being supreme Mary Sues that can defeat a (former) member of Angiris council, power boosted by tons of souls AND by black soulstone too. What the fuck? It reminds me of Riddick Chronicles, where the stories later on were beyond Mary Sue shit.

It's just... FUCK, why? I swear I was never let down more by any other game. At this point, I just can't wait for a new expansion. I jut want to see how much more ridiculous can it get.
>>
>>275539751
Take a look at the PC version for AGP cards. Crisp high resolution textures. What really bothers me about this game thoguh are the domes of the cities. They look like boxes, not spherical domes.
>>
>>275539826
I don't know anon, everyone has their opinion about graphics, and mine is that M&B looks good.
>>
File: undying_demo.jpg (84KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
undying_demo.jpg
84KB, 800x600px
>>275530238
>It was using a really dated engine even back then.
lol go fuck yourself. UE1 was only 2 years old by the time Deus Ex came out, and it's Ion Storm's fault for making it look like crap by making all their maps blocky. UE1 was really advanced for its time, and can look damn good even today.
>>
File: 2321.jpg (94KB, 800x504px) Image search: [Google]
2321.jpg
94KB, 800x504px
>>275540213
I like how the modern game is shaping up in terms of models but it wasnt much of a problem to me in the originals, but it was noticeable in native at least, mods tend to beef up the models and textures alot
>>
File: 1996_Schleichfahrt.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1996_Schleichfahrt.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
What's wrong anon? Too deep for you?
>>
>>275529941
>I totally forgot TR2 still used the TR1 model
It actually doesn't. She has a ponytail in TR2 the last time I checked.
>>
>>275540535
literally too deep. Only heard good things about it though. Also, its succesors were graphics demos
>>
>>275540620
Thanks, I really thought my memory was going bad. What's with that screenshot though? Clearly the TR1 hair there.
>>
>>275539974

I'm glad Diablo 3 was my first Diablo, so I'm able to actually enjoy it.
>>
>>275540717
>Clearly the TR1 hair there.
Yeah I don't know what's up with that. I guess someone modded the TR1 model into 2 or something?
>>
>>275506917
Gameplay is definitely not good. The graphics are fine though.
>>
>>275540890
Either that, or adding TR2 levels to TR1. The level structure was identical after all
>>
File: Gothic2 2014-05-10 10-41-13-14.jpg (510KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Gothic2 2014-05-10 10-41-13-14.jpg
510KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>275524125
do it anon, you wont regret the hours put in.
>>
>>275506917

What's this game? Sorry if retarded question.
>>
>>275541313
System Shock 2
>>
File: apple.png (137KB, 333x300px) Image search: [Google]
apple.png
137KB, 333x300px
>>275539416
always thought he runs strange

like he shit his pants
>>
>>275541108
That ground looks better than what Skyrim usually delivers and the town design seems reasonably pretty as well
>>
>>275541360

Thanks, i actually noticed the filename ss2 2 secs after posting kek
>>
File: 1252989008608.jpg (42KB, 552x464px) Image search: [Google]
1252989008608.jpg
42KB, 552x464px
>>275541108
>>
>>275541429
that's a carrot
>>
>>275527892
It's in many ways not very fun, but shit just pick a place to build a hole in the ground as a house and build something small and explore your surroundings and move when you find something a bit better and continue until you do or transform the landscape into a home you want. Build an entire mountain range over shit if you want.
>>
File: Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg (40KB, 248x300px) Image search: [Google]
Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg
40KB, 248x300px
>implying you peasants played it
>>
>>275542618
There was a thread earlier today, pretty good.
>>
File: redneck.jpg (136KB, 1022x717px) Image search: [Google]
redneck.jpg
136KB, 1022x717px
>>275526948
i like it but its just not as good as the more famous duke blood and sw
technically the graphics are better and they do some nice tricks to build the illusion of a 3d world but the sprites are ugly as fuck level design is kinda meh especially compared to the other games and it can get frustrating because of key placement/hidden buttons etc and generally being unbalanced check out rides again though its about as long as the original and the levels are just as good if not better
>>
>>275542618
this game dialogues and characters were truly human, and the atmosphere so good

i feel lucky having played it
>>
>>275536079
>im too stupid to play it so autism
2/5 bait made me reply
>>
>>275542950
>forgetting the ungodly soundtrack
>>
File: system shock.jpg (42KB, 361x500px) Image search: [Google]
system shock.jpg
42KB, 361x500px
>all these niggas saying system shock 2
system shock 1 is a much better game but i know you faggots havn't ever played it
>>
>>275542849
>tricks to build the illusion of a 3D world
Oh shut the fuck up. Raycasting is a reasonable and capable 3D rendering technique. Like every 3D rendering technique, including modern day polygonal rasterizers, it makes assumptions and uses simplifications to reduce the work load, but the presented world is 3 dimensional.
>>
>>275543084
The subject of the thread is not old games, but games that play well and look like shit. System Shock (1) looks reasonably well, because it's a different age and the engine has a different design, while System Shock 2 suffers all the problems of early accelerated 3D, with very blurred textures and ridiculously low polygon count
>>
>>275543078
never forget, i have it on my mp3
>>
>>275536105
>2014
>not knowing how to optimize a characters stats and gear in an RPG
>>
>>275533418
>5000 rounds
why
>>
File: 1414803360982.jpg (35KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1414803360982.jpg
35KB, 512x512px
>>275539159
>>275537339
>>275537051
>>275537036

>new24chinzmaymay.png
>>
File: 1363606698800.jpg (51KB, 448x488px) Image search: [Google]
1363606698800.jpg
51KB, 448x488px
>>275542618
>dat musical score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjyQtWHbGQ
>>
>>275545324
But that image has been posted a million times before.
>>
>>275542618
it's a bit unfortunate that the pallet tended toward muted colors; makes it difficult to discern elements compared to baldur' sgate
>>
>>275522445
haha, holy shit
>>
>>275545695
There is a hair stuck on that image and I'm trying like crazy to remove it on my screen.
>>
>>275529604
what game is that?
>>
File: roger.png (278KB, 400x416px) Image search: [Google]
roger.png
278KB, 400x416px
>>275506387
THE WONDERFUL~
>ONE-OH
>ONE!

I knew we forgot someone... you.
>>
>>275506387
Saints row 2
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 80

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.