[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me /v/. What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

File: Wii_who.jpg (178KB, 1118x722px) Image search: [Google]
Wii_who.jpg
178KB, 1118x722px
Tell me /v/. What went wrong?
>>
I don't know

I love mine
>>
>>268350497
The fact that you wont get a life and stop remaking this everyday
>>
>>268350497

It fucking sucks donkey dicks.
>>
>>268350497
They named it "Wii U"
>>
>>268350497
Nothing you are not part of the intended audience
>>
>>268350497
>shitty hardware
>>
>>268350497

the problem?

it has no games

and you have to be under 11 to play the shovelware it has
>>
>>268350931
Graphic whore detected
>>
>free shit online
>that terrible account system
>>
Nothing. /v/ would just rather shit on things they don't like than talk about things they do.
>>
Shilled so hard I just assume every game it gets is automatically shit
>>
>bad hardware
>bad software
>bad price

everything went wrong
>>
nothing, it probably is a decent toy for 12 year olds
>>
Shitty expensive controller peripheral gimmick forced into games that don't need it half the time

Online is very poor for a modern console

The majority of the consoles games and nintendo's for that matter are kiddy games

The games as of yet have been relatively meh in reality, pikmin 3, TW101, 3Dworld, DKCTF were all games that failed to be that great in all honesty.

The only games that are really worth it are currently mario kart 8 and bayonetta 2.

The console is very underpowered for a modern console.

The third party support is little-to-none, and exists primarily of poorly made seventh-generation ports that everyone has already played.

The support from indie developers likewise, is relatively small, and no real noteable titles besides maybe "Gone Home" are present or coming to the console.

The games themselves, like all of Nintendo's games also often fail to diminish in price at most locations, which can put a new buyer off.

The console seems expensive for hardware which is very outdated.

"Can play used games" means very little considering that every other console can.
>>
>>268350497

it's not over yet...

asides of how other companies work, Nintendo always work on base of their games...

Big, great or expected new games of an old Franchise, usually bring the players back to their systems, and that's also why their consoles are so cheap, you buy them, just because of a single game...

im thinking of seriously buying one instead of a improved new version of PS4, just because of SSB4 and Hyruley warrios...

Recommendations on minimal hdd capacity, or others?
>>
>>268350497

I think they wanted to continue perusing the same market as the Wii. But I don't think they expected to mobile market to have such a grasp on casual gamers.

Not to mention the Wii U was pretty rushed to get onto the market before Christmas. Beside that I think they are improving drastically, making up for their lack of a catalog. Though I would still contend that the Wii U pad still seem like a peripheral rather then a ingrate part of the system.
>>
Bad name
I personally think there is still a lot to do on the OS and general software but market confusion and a follow up to a ridiculously popular console basically caused another SNES situation.
>>
File: TFC04-113.jpg (46KB, 250x193px) Image search: [Google]
TFC04-113.jpg
46KB, 250x193px
>backwards compatibility
So does my PC, and I can replay whatever I want without shilling hundreds to Nintendo.

>no DRM
Consoles by default are DRM incarnate. Also, region locking.

>Free online
Except it's the worst of the three, right next to PSN. Half the people on miiverse think games like Super Metroid are too hard for goodness sake! They make DSP look like a college graduate.

>can play used games
So can PC. :)

>support for indie developers
What is steam

>cheap
A good built PC is even cheaper

>great first party lineup
Console games on par with the other two consoles? Sure, you keep thinking that.

>b-but PC + wii-U idort!

About 300 dollars wasted, since my PC gets all the good games anyway.
>>
>>268351469
The games coming out for it are inredibly sparse, and it has been that way throughout the majority of the consoles life.

Really the only titles coming for the system worth even considering now are Smash, Zelda U, Starfox and Xenoblade chronicles, the Wii-U just doesn't have much else going for it.

And the problem of third party absence means that there is nothing to fill the gap, the Wii-U is a monumental waste of time and signals that Nintendo should just go third party already.
>>
>>268350497
>no DRM
The console itself is DRM.
I mean, it's just easier to crack than others. That doesn't mean it got no DRM.
>>
>>268351729
PC might be superior but you can't honestly believe that the other two consoles have better lineups right now.
>>
>>268352076

>you can't honestly believe that the other two consoles have better lineups right now.

Relax, I never said that. This is what i said.

>Console games on par with the other two consoles?

I don't consider any of them worth purchasing. They're about level with eachother.
>>
>>268351469
>Shitty expensive controller peripheral gimmick forced into games that don't need it half the time

People still trying to pull that card out. You don't have to use it, just use the pro-controller. it's NEVER forced except maybe ZombiU.
>>
File: 1412278010524.png (53KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1412278010524.png
53KB, 400x400px
Honestly third partys jumped the gun, and nintendo was too slow with it's key first party games. All the third party support it got when the system launched was a huge burn to all of them. No third party game is going to sell UNTIL people get the system, and people only get the system for first party games, and then stay for some of the third party stuff as well as future first party. And boy did nintendo take their sweet fucking time. Even most of the first party faithful are just picking up the system right now. Now that the system has more bad press, than almost any other in history everyone is afraid to touch the thing. Now it's out of every third party's dev window, and the hardwhere is to weak to run a lot of the next gen games that are coming out. Honestly bayonetta is it's last ray of real hope, if it can sell well some key third party's might just jump on board. Other than that its just up to nintendo to grow the install base base, and the wiiu will probably top out at 30-40 million, not enough for most to really care.
>>
>>268352206
>>268352206
>I don't consider any of them worth purchasing. They're about level with eachother.
it's obvious you don't enjoy games
>>
File: cup of joe m8.png (135KB, 400x422px) Image search: [Google]
cup of joe m8.png
135KB, 400x422px
>>268352639

My PC library of a thousand games would argue otherwise.
>>
>>268351729
I agree with most but

>Except it's the worst of the three, right next to PSN. Half the people on miiverse think games like Super Metroid are too hard for goodness sake! They make DSP look like a college graduate.
I really don't see why the community matters much, there's retards everywhere.
What does matter is that you can play videogames online for free. Without paying a subscription ontop of your fucking internet bill already.

>Console games on par with the other two consoles? Sure, you keep thinking that.
>About 300 dollars wasted, since my PC gets all the good games anyway.
You seem to be missing the point here.
PS4 and xbone have very few exclusives that you can't play on PC.
Almost ALL the good games on the Wii U are exlusive to it. They have multiple first-party franchises that are generally quality videogames.

The point is that with a Wii U and a PC, you get the most "coverage". Which is a good thing if you actually enjoy a broad variety of videogames.
>>
You wanna know what went wrong? Nintendo tried to cater to their 'core' crowd once more. After spending an entire generation telling their 'core' crowd that they found them repulsive and wanted nothing to do with them.

So what does Nintendo have now? The casuals are either bored, or don't know what the Wii U is. Their dedicated base has abandoned them.

Fuck Nintendo. They brought this upon themselves.
>>
>>268352634

Wii U wont breach Gamecube sales. You're being far too kind.
>>
>>268351729
>thinking wii u is competing with pc.
>>
>>268352845

>What does matter is that you can play videogames online for free. Without paying a subscription ontop of your fucking internet bill already.
And the PC can do that already, except better. The Wii-U trying to emulate that just makes it a watered down PC.

>Almost ALL the good games on the Wii U are exlusive to it.
Which is about 0.

>The point is that with a Wii U and a PC, you get the most "coverage".
Except with a PC I don't need a Wii-U. I have all the good games already. Whatever consoles could offer me are just weaker versions of things I can get on PC.
>>
>>268352837
the quantity of games you have digitally don't make a very compelling argument
>>
The wiiu has more decent titles out right now than the xbone and ps4, that said it's a small library and the releases have been really REALLY spread out.

It's been like this for all three consoles really, nintendo is just the only one that still publishes first party shit.

The best gamming platform this gen is the pc, and the 3ds.
Vita is also pretty decent, but it's pretty much had all support dropped.

I think nintendo should have just went full handheld honestly.
>>
>>268353074

>games with have thriving communities, thousands of mods, devs who release constant free DLC, and hundreds of ways to play instead of being limited to two or three console controllers
>this is a bad thing
>>
>>268353031
The market for gaming is much,much bigger now than in gc days, i can't see it selling GC numbers. Although 30-40 million is just like adjusting for inflation it's pretty much new age gc numbers.
>>
>>268353136

Vita support waxes and wanes like the moon. Vita doesn't have the installation base, but what they do have is an abnormally high attach rate from the people that have remained loyal to it.

For all the failed handhelds that have come and gone, Vita stands as king. You wont find the kind of quality Vita has with the Neo Geo Pocket, or the Wonderswan.
>>
>>268353351

The market is the same. Remember: No console has matched, or breached the sales of the PS1 or the PS2.

If anything, we're seeing the ass-end of the casual explosion. Console installation rates are going to shrink back the levels they were in the 90s.
>>
>>268352878

casuals moved on to android/ios

it was only a matter of time
>>
>>268353692

This, too.

Wii was to 2006-2010 what smartphone game are today.

They've moved on.

Nintendo spurned their only source of reliable income for a fickle, disloyal consumer base.
>>
>>268353048
>And the PC can do that already, except better. The Wii-U trying to emulate that just makes it a watered down PC.
Saying that playing games online for free "emulates the PC" is stupid. That's the default state. Paying for online, which PSN and xbone do, that's non-standard.

>Which is about 0.
You really think that the Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin are not worth playing? You don't enjoy a broad variety of videogames then, proving my point.

>Except with a PC I don't need a Wii-U. I have all the good games already.
See above, you sure as fuck don't. Missing out on multiple genres.

>Whatever consoles could offer me are just weaker versions of things I can get on PC.
This is true for the PS4 and Xbone, because they both are just weaker PCs without KB+M.
Nintendo consoles however have their own flavor of games, things that are made to be played with the new controller they have, or just flat-out games that don't exist anywhere else.

You're not really missing out on anything if you have no PS4 or Xbox. They don't have any franchises or genres that are one-of-a-kind. The Wii U does.
That makes it worth purchasing for some. Maybe not for you, but arguing that it's a waste of money is retarded. I don't even own a Wii U, didn't buy a Wii either. I just see the appeal.
>>
I think Nintendo's biggest problem right now is advertising. As in they're god awful at it. "Wii U" is a pretty bad name but "new 3DS"? I will never not be mad at that shit. I want this company to succeed but if they can staff tens of thousands of employee and the honest to god only name they could come up with was the "NEW 3DS" then they are fucked. The naming convention for this shit already exists. They should have just called it the 3DSi or, I don't know, LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE. It's absolutely baffling how ANYONE thought that was a good idea.
>>
>>268353519
>The market is the same.

Not at all, it's billions of dollars bigger than it was before, almost 300 million consoles were sold in the last gen, with like 200 million hand held devices, with large advent's in smart phone/tablets/computers gameing is bigger than ever, assuming softwhere sales remain stable even lower end systems like wii u will do better.
>>
>>268354215
Not to speak of the fact that the new Smash doesn't even have a goddamn subtitle.
>>
>>268352878
>Their dedicated base has abandoned them

Nope.
The dedicated fanbase is huge and all have a 3ds, the fanbase did however give up on home nintendo consoles.

While the wii has only a couple dozen worthwhile games, and was mostly casual the ds has a fantastic library and is easily the ps2 of handhelds.

If nintendo was serious about catering to their fanbase and making a legit home console again, they shouldn't have tried that tablet shit.

The tablet ate up funds that could have been spent making it more powerful.
Nintendo fans long for another gamecube or n64, a system with a normal controller with decent modern hardware that is caught up with he times.

What's really funny is the divide that is going to be caused by the new 3ds, I highly doubt people are going to adopt it and the name is confusing as fuck.
That and new 3ds games wont work the the 3ds, jesus fuck nintendo.

wii
wiiu

ds
dslite
dslitexl
dsi
dsixl
3ds
3dsxl
new 3ds
new 3ds xl

This shit is fucking confusing, use full names.

Gameboy
Gameboy pocket
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP

Nintendo n64
Nintendo Gamecube

Simple branding, and it's easy to tell what system is what and what system is a hardware revision.
>>
>>268353994

>Saying that playing games online for free "emulates the PC" is stupid. That's the default state. Paying for online, which PSN and xbone do, that's non-standard.

Wrong. PC has had the ability to play online LOOOOOOONG before consoles ever had the opportunity. Where do you think it came from anyway, thin air?

>You really think that the Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin are not worth playing
Their latest iterations are about as fun as Knack or Infamous. And if you like those, then I won't judge you, but well I'm not exactly gonna grieve over their loss while playing my PC games. If you know what I mean.

>See above, you sure as fuck don't. Missing out on multiple genres.
We have every single genre, from RTS to TPS, to RPG to FPS, to action adventure, to puzzle game, to platformer, and even sidescrollers. Pixels, polygons, 2D, 3D, 4D, virtual reality, actual reality, you name it.

>Nintendo consoles however have their own flavor of games,
Again, these games have the same taste that sony or MS games have, so I'm not missing anything. Just because the Wii-U is """unique""" doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>False flagging
Stop this shit
>>
>>268354215

they shouldve just called it the new gameboy and drowned in nostalgia dollars
>>
Two things happened:

1. They almost completely alienated their "core" audience last year by appealing exclusively to casuals

2. Smart phones have since taken over the casual audience

This means that the causals have no reason to upgrade from the original Wii when their phones play all the mini-game bullshit they want, as well as their core audience feeling betrayed which means they won't be rushing to get one just based on promises this time.

Add the fact that they have done no real marketing you have a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>268354797
This, anything with gameboy.
Or the DS3
>>
>>268353519
>ass-end of the casual explosion. Console installation rates are going to shrink back the levels they were in the 90s.

Both destiny and watch dogs just broke records this year, wat? And will probably do better next year. Also Assfaggots and other esports related departments do nothing but grow, same with pc gaming, over 100 million steam acounts and growing.
>>
>>268354928
>DS3

That would have been even better

"mummy I want a ds3"

"What dear? A PS3? a PSP?
>>
Very very interesting OP
>>268344475
>>
>>268354870
>last year

*last gen
>>
>>268354375

More money is spent, but it's being spent by a market relatively similar in size. What's change, and what's causing this increased market size is that everyone that's been playing games since the 90s now has more, or even just has disposable income now.
>>
>>268354959

Larger human population than 20 years ago, but the rates remain the same.
>>
>>268350497
Tablet gimmick that drove up the price for shitty hardware way beyond a reasonable amount.
>>
Why are nintendo fanboys so blind?

They fucked up with the N64 by allowing sony to dominate, and fucked up with the gamecube by being the least sold 6th gen console

Then they completely ignored their core audience by releasing the casual gimmick machine, allowing tons of shovelware to infest the system and thriving off casual shovelware rather than actual good games

Then they produced an underpowered tablet promoting gimmick console 7 years too late, with mediocre software trying to appeal to their old audiences

Nintendo fucked all of you over, and yet you still go to suck their dick.
>>
>>268355549
>tfw the screen controller is a neat idea, being able to play most games without a tv

Shit would have been cheaper if it wasn't a touch screen, but that defeats a big part of the purpose.
>>
>>268355641
>Nintendo fucked all of you over, and yet you still go to suck their dick.

3DS m8, big install base and a lot of good titles in general.

New 3ds is lined up to ruin this though.
>>
>>268355867

Piddy bullshit. NDS was wrecking the market hardcore by this point.

3DS sales are laughable for a Nintendo handheld.
>>
>>268350497
They willingly chose to use technology inferior to the already inferior technology of its main competitors. If they did not teat it like a toy and actually made it good then it would be #1 like back in the SNES days.
>>
>>268353032
Exactly. WiiU is competing with other consoles, while the PS4 and XB1 are competing with each other and the PC. A good portion of PS4 and XB1 games already come out with a PC port.

With the slow start of next-gen exclusives, PC is ahead in the gaming market. WiiU is a good option since it has so many exclusives.
>>
>>268355641

At the very least the N64 and GCN had some damn good games worth owning the system for, but they have no fucking excuses for the Wii and Wii U. They really need a managment shakeup or something because they'll lose what little relevence they have left with one more fuckup.
>>
File: 1399622346813.jpg (24KB, 310x250px) Image search: [Google]
1399622346813.jpg
24KB, 310x250px
>>268350497

It has a piss poor name, mediocre online/bad account system, it's severely under powered, the tablet controller was a bad decision.
>>
>>268356229

>WiiU is a good option since it has so many exclusives.

It would be if any of the exclusives were good. Unfortunately, "good" and "console exclusives" aren't exactly something you'd say together.
>>
I honestly believe that the Wii-U is Nintendo's Dreamcast when it comes to home consoles.

Except without the good games.
>>
>>268356090
Smart phones hadn't taken off back then though, that's easily the biggest factor in the downturn in nintendo handheld sales in general.

The botched marketing didn't do it any good though.
>>
>>268356489
But the dreamcast was ahead of it's time, not on underpowered hardware and treading already done ideas
>>
>>268356438
>if any of the exclusives were good
>opinions
>>
>>268356465
>Dreamcast
>Games
>>
>>268350497
>Stupid and confusing name
>Released shortly before the other 2 released their consoles
>Nintendo can't into online features standard since the fucking 90's
>Launch titles where mostly titles that you already played on other consoles but now at $60
>What its third party support?
>$350 dollars for a fucking console with hardware from 2005

I mean what else could go wrong right?
>>
>>268354614
>Wrong. PC has had the ability to play online LOOOOOOONG before consoles ever had the opportunity. Where do you think it came from anyway, thin air?
Correct, and PC had polygons long before consoles.
This doesn't mean that if something has polygons today, it emulates the PC. It means it's a standard videogame.

>Their latest iterations are about as fun as Knack or Infamous.
This is subjective.
The fact that they're one of a kind, however, is not. Knack is not one of a kind, neither is Infamous.

>And if you like those, then I won't judge you, but well I'm not exactly gonna grieve over their loss while playing my PC games. If you know what I mean.
I'm not saying you should, but I'm saying that the fact that people like these games and have nothing comparable on the PC makes buying a Wii U infact a logical decision.

>We have every single genre, from RTS to TPS, to RPG to FPS, to action adventure, to puzzle game, to platformer, and even sidescrollers. Pixels, polygons, 2D, 3D, 4D, virtual reality, actual reality, you name it.
Which genre is pikmin, and does PC have it? Which genre is smash bros, and does PC have it? Which genre is Mario Kart, and does PC have it?
I'll give you zelda games, they're not unique in concept.

>Just because the Wii-U is """unique""" doesn't mean it's good.
No, but it means it's worth considering for someone who is into what the Wii U has to offer.

You seem to be missing the point still.
The point isnt that "the wii u is good and you should buy it".
The point isn't that "the wii u has good games so you should buy it".
The point is that the Wii U is different enough from other platforms to warrant it being its own console. The PS4 and Xbone do not. Shit, they're pretty much the exact same console, too, hardware wise.

Not wanting a Wii U is fine, but if you say that there's not good reason to own a Wii U depending on your subjective tastes, you're wrong
>>
>>268356465

How is SEGAs situation in 2001 at all comparable to Nintendo now? Nintendo has a shitton of cash in the bank with a platform that's dominating its respective market by far compared to the competition. The Dreamcast was a borderline bankrupt Segas last ditch effort, while Nintendo can afford to ride the rest of this gen out and start fresh in a few years.
>>
>>268356465

>Dreamcast
>Not Saturn
>>
The problem with the Wii U is that Nintendo lied when they said that they'd be catering to the hardcore gamer again, and that games would be "wider and deeper". If they really wanted me to buy the Wii U, it would have had a Zelda game and a 2D Metroid game on launch.

Instead, we got Lego City.

Also because of the Wii U's lack of success, Nintendo will use "catering to hardcore gamers" as a scapegoat and the next Nintendo console will be a $600 piece of shit with "good" graphics and it will just have a bunch of games like Skyrim and Kirby's Epic Yarn.
>>
>>268356489

Yes. Which fucking ties into every single fucking point being made about Nintendo's causal market abandoning them.
>>
File: 1403679930119.jpg (11KB, 270x237px) Image search: [Google]
1403679930119.jpg
11KB, 270x237px
>>268353220
Whenever someone gloats about how many games they have backlogged on PC I can't help but think that you're not ever actually playing or enjoying anything. There's no realistic way you're going through all those games unless you're blazing right through them and not savoring anything.
>>
>>268351003
Implying shovelware isnt intended for 11 years old
>>
Will Nintendo ever go back to making a traditional console?
>>
>>268356862

Meh, I don't trust Nintendo much after the shit they pulled last gen but I do get the feeling that the Wii U will be something of a Gamecube 2.0. Basically a mostly unpopular console with a lot of exclusive gems for real gamers. The core audience is all they have left to appeal to anyway.
>>
>>268357125
no

They've failed again and again, and they've lost it.

There's no real point for nintendo to make consoles any more.

I don't really understand why anyone wouldn't want them to go third party, allowing them to develop on better hardware.
>>
>>268356826

>This doesn't mean that if something has polygons today, it emulates the PC. It means it's a standard videogame.
No, but if it can't do it as well as a PC, then it's nothing more than a watered down experience.

>The fact that they're one of a kind, however, is not.
Gone Home is one of a kind. That doesn't make it good.

>but I'm saying that the fact that people like these games
Stopped reading there. People like the PS4 and its game lineup. Does that mean the PS4 is worth a purchase? Or does it mean you shouldn't listen to overdefensive fanboys?

>Which genre is pikmin, and does PC have it?
It's a watered down RTS with simplistic commands and no deeper gameplay elements. Anything from 1997 and up trumps it. Even the first Starcraft had superior group controls.

>the Wii U is different enough from other platforms to warrant it being its own console.
You could say the same about the Vita. It has no games whatsoever, and that makes it different from other consoles that DO have games. That doesn't mean its worth owning.

>if you say that there's not good reason to own a Wii U depending on your superior tastes, you're onto something

ftfy. If I was a console fanboy, you'd have ground to call me into question. But I know quality. I have a Pc, and I enjoy its massive library of fantastic, high quality games. If a console cannot provide something equivalent to that, then it's not worth it.
>>
Why can't we just content ourselves with the fact that there are several games we can enjoy on each system and realize the success of these companies isn't our goddamn responsibility?
>>
>>268357125

I really don't know at this point personally. The last time they did that was the Gamecube at they came in 3rd that gen, but now that all the casuals have left for smartphones it could go either way. They will always need to have some kind of gimmick or feature that sets them apart because if they go head to head with MS and Sony they will lose hard purely because of how casuals perceive the Nintendo brand.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.